PDA

View Full Version : AppleScript - Selecting specific text in Outlook message

sitryd
May 29, 2013, 06:02 PM
Hello all -

I'm trying to configure a pair of scripts in Outlook to allow me to add a comment to an email (e.g. describing subsequent non-email discussions on that topic) and then modify those comments. The script to add comments works perfectly, but the script to modify them - which needs to be able to parse the original message, separate out the comment header, the comment, and the message itself - is failing with an -1708 Error. This appears to be Outlook-specific, in that if I run the script outside of outlook and manually specify the content of the message to be run, the script works perfectly. It only fails inside of Outlook:

to extractBetween(SearchText, startText, endText)
set tid to AppleScript's text item delimiters -- save them for later.
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to startText -- find the first one.
set endItems to text of text item -1 of SearchText -- everything after the first.
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to endText -- find the end one.
set beginningToEnd to text of text item 1 of endItems -- get the first part.
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tid -- back to original values.
return beginningToEnd -- pass back the piece.
end extractBetween

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

-- get the currently selected message or messages
set selectedMessages to current messages

-- if there are no messages selected, warn the user and then quit
if selectedMessages is {} then
display dialog "Please select a message first and then run this script." with icon 1
return
end if

repeat with theMessage in selectedMessages

-- get the information from the message, and store it in variables
set theName to subject of theMessage
set theCategory to category of theMessage
set theContent to content of theMessage as text

set t to theContent

set currentComment to extractBetween(t, "Comment:<br>", "<br>⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯<br><br>") --> Should return current comment

end repeat
end tell

I've excised the portion after the "extractBetween" call, since that is the point of failure and my code after that point is still a bit of a mess as I haven't been able to troubleshoot it to get it working. Is there any reason the extractBetween function is failing only in Outlook? Does Outlook not like running custom functions?

Thanks!

kryten2
May 29, 2013, 08:25 PM
Calling Handlers in a tell Statement
To call a handler from within a tell statement, you must use the reserved words of me or my to indicate that the handler is part of the script and not a command that should be sent to the target of the tell statement.

Try this :

set currentComment to my extractBetween(t, "Comment:<br>", "<br>⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯<br><br>") --> Should return current comment

Info : Applescript Language Guide (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/applescript/Conceptual/AppleScriptLangGuide/conceptual/ASLR_about_handlers.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000983-CH206-SW3)

sitryd
May 30, 2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks! That worked perfectly...

For the sake of the community, the final code (which will add comments to HTML-based emails, modify exiting comments, and remove comments based on the return from the prompt):

to extractBetween(SearchText, startText, endText)
set tid to AppleScript's text item delimiters -- save them for later.
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to startText -- find the first one.
set endItems to text of text item -1 of SearchText -- everything after the first.
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to endText -- find the end one.
set beginningToEnd to text of text item 1 of endItems -- get the first part.
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tid -- back to original values.
return beginningToEnd -- pass back the piece.
end extractBetween

to formatDate(modDate)
set {year:y, month:m, day:d} to (current date)
--> y = 2006, m = April, d = 12

-- We want to shift these numbers so we can add them to get our final form

y * 10000
--> 2006 * 10000
--> 20060000

result + m * 100
--> [m * 100] = [April * 100] = [4 * 100] = 400 [ coerced to number ]
--> 20060000 + 400
--> 20060400 the year followed by the month with leading zero, the day 00.

result + d
--> 20060400 + 12
--> 20060412 the year, the month with leading zero, the day of the month.

-- now coerce the result to string

result as string
--> 20060412 as string
--> "20060412"

-- tell the result to format the output
-- tell avoids having to save the result as a variable and repeat it several times

tell result -- tell "20060412"

text 1 thru 4
--> text 1 thru 4 of "20060412" = "2006"

result & "."
--> "2006" & "."
--> "2006."

result & text 5 thru 6
--> text 5 thru 6 of "20060412" = "04"
--> "2006." & "04"
--> "2006.04"

result & "."
--> "2006.04" & "."
--> "2006.04."

result & text 7 thru 8
--> text 7 thru 8 of "20060412" = "12"
--> "2006.04." & "12"
--> "2006.04.12" [ final result returned by handler ]

end tell
end formatDate

set formattedDate to formatDate(current date)
set modDateTime to formattedDate & " at " & time string of (current date)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

-- get the currently selected message or messages
set selectedMessages to current messages

-- if there are no messages selected, warn the user and then quit
if selectedMessages is {} then
display dialog "Please select a message first and then run this script." with icon 1
return
end if

repeat with theMessage in selectedMessages
-- get the information from the message, and store it in variables
set theName to subject of theMessage
set theCategory to category of theMessage
set theContent to content of theMessage as text

--Process email to confirm it is html-based
if theContent contains "<html" then
set br to "<br>"
else
--display dialog theContent
display dialog "Error: Email is plain text. Exiting."
exit repeat
end if

-- process existing comments
set t to theContent

if t contains "[modified " then
set currentComment to my extractBetween(t, "Comment:" & br, br & "[modified ") --> Should return current comment if previously modified
else if t contains "[added " then
set currentComment to my extractBetween(t, "Comment:" & br, br & "[added ") --> Should return current comment if previously added
else
set currentComment to my extractBetween(t, "Comment:" & br, br & "⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯" & br & br) --> Should return current comment
end if
---- The handler ----

if t does not contain "Comment:<br>" then
set newComment to the text returned of (display dialog "What comment would you like to add?" default answer "")
set content of theMessage to "Comment:" & br & "" & newComment & "" & br & "[added " & modDateTime & "]" & br & "⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯" & br & "" & br & "" & theContent as string
exit repeat
else
set originalEmail to my extractBetween(t, br & "⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯" & br & br, "NULL VALUE MEANT TO EXTEND EXTRACT THROUGH END OF EMAIL") --> meant to preserve the footer
set newComment to text returned of (display dialog "What comment would you like to add to this email?" default answer currentComment)
--> if the comment is empty or deleted, remove comment data and return original email content
if newComment is "" then
set content of theMessage to originalEmail
exit repeat
end if
end if

-- create a new note with the information from the message with date and time of modification
set content of theMessage to "Comment:" & br & newComment & br & "[modified " & modDateTime & "]" & br & "⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯" & br & br & originalEmail

end repeat
end tell

Note: I defined the br variable as a way to add functionality with plaint-text emails later, which doesn't work entirely properly right now (it removes all the line returns in the original email, as it appears to reparse the email as HTML instead of preserving its text-only quality... a delimiter to replace line breaks with the br variable [which is set to "<br>"] should fix this, but will wait until later coding efforts).