PDA

View Full Version : Jawbone Designer Debuts New August Smart Lock

MacRumors
May 29, 2013, 07:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/29/jawbone-designer-debuts-new-august-smart-lock/)

The August (http://www.august.com) Smart Lock is a new iPhone-compatible locking system that has been designed by Jason Johnson and Yves Béhar, who serves as Jawbone's Chief Creative Officer. Béhar, who has worked on products like the Jambox and the UP, has created a simple universal lock that is designed to connect to a smartphone using Bluetooth.

The lock itself is crafted of anodized aluminum and looks similar to a standard home lock. It comes with a number of faceplates and deadbolt adapters to fit the majority of the locks on the market, and it functions on four AA batteries. When battery life is low, the system will send out a notification.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/augustsmartlock.jpg
Much like competing products Lockitron (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/02/lockitron-announces-new-keyless-deadbolt-entry-and-remote-locking-for-iphone/) and Kevo (http://www.kwikset.com/Kevo/default.aspx), the August Smart Lock will be available without subscription fees. It will also function with an accompanying app, which can be programmed to allow entry to friends and family. The system monitors guests that enter and it can be customized with specific timers. TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/29/yves-behars-august-smart-lock-lets-users-open-doors-with-a-mobile-app/) has some additional information:In addition to the ability to turn on and off access to the home through an app, users will be able to send invitations to friends or family that have been connected on Facebook or in their mobile contact list. Johnson gave the example of a dinner party, where visitors could be invited and let themselves in without having to ring the doorbell.

The August smart lock is powered by Bluetooth low energy (BLE) technology, which will enable it to work without connecting to a WiFi network. The team claims that it's the smallest electronic door lock on the market, and they say that it only takes 10 minutes to install.There are no specific details on when the August Smart Lock will launch, but the reservation website (http://www.august.com) says that it will go on sale later in the year with an expected ship date of November or December. The lock will cost $199, with no additional fees.

Article Link: Jawbone Designer Debuts New August Smart Lock (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/29/jawbone-designer-debuts-new-august-smart-lock/)

Bwilky
May 29, 2013, 07:51 PM
To bad they aren't integrating z-wave technology. That would have been nice.

blakey91
May 29, 2013, 07:59 PM
If your phone runs out of battery, you're locked out.
Just use the old fashioned key.

nutmac
May 29, 2013, 08:01 PM
The hardware reminds me a bit of Nest thermostat, although not as pretty.

I would need to wait for reviews (especially in regards to battery life, quality of the app, performance, fit and finish), however.

Having said that, $199 seems rather pricey ($179 for Lockitron). At $249, Nest seems like a bargain in comparison. Speaking of Nest, I wish Nest would make such device instead.

troop231
May 29, 2013, 08:09 PM
Really cool product, but I can already open/close my garage door using a Raspberry Pi and an iPhone app I made.

Gnomepatrol
May 29, 2013, 08:16 PM

Instead of losing a key, it is going to be mine ran out of battery... and my charger is inside. :(

ASKendrew
May 29, 2013, 08:31 PM
I for one think this is pretty cool!

ipedro
May 29, 2013, 08:34 PM
I already ordered a Lockitron but this looks so much more beautiful and "Apple" like. It's the same feel I get from the Nest too.

However, I'm renting and this looks like it requires replacing the lock instead of putting it over an existing one, so I guess I'm hmm... locked out. :cool:

kas23
May 29, 2013, 08:37 PM
How secure is this thing? Couldn't someone make an app to trick it into opening?

Carlanga
May 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
I would bite at $60 or less

DTphonehome
May 29, 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Yves Behar designed some other stuff too.

JayCee842
May 29, 2013, 08:41 PM
$199? what a joke.

calderone
May 29, 2013, 08:56 PM
Cue the cheap people...

I would bite at $60 or less

$199? what a joke.

Ooops too late.

bigcat318
May 29, 2013, 08:58 PM

Im going to guess that similar to lockitron, your standard key still works to open the door. The device goes on the inside of the door.

Watching the video would help.

portishead
May 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
I might like this better than the Kevo since this only changes the lock on the inside. Anything I can do to keep me from having to carry keys around I'm all for.

Mrg02d
May 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
Yay my iPhone was stolen and the crooks now are able to unlock my HOUSE so they can finish the job!

Chupa Chupa
May 29, 2013, 09:15 PM

No more locked out than if the battery on your car's FOB dies if you have the keyless entry option on your car... in other words not. You always have the traditional key backup.

I've had keyless entry since my '07 car. When I first heard about the option I thought how lazy can one be that they can't push a button on a remote. But they were clever and required the option in order to remotely open the trunk w/ top down (convertible) so I got it. I ended up not bothering with the trunk w/ top down but fell in love with just being able to touch the door handle and not having to fumble in my pocket for my key. Ever since I wished something similar was available for homes.

This new slew of locks and lock assists is an interesting start. I have a Lockitron on order but suspect its going to be a dud since it overlays w/ the existing lock. For older homes that have settled and requires a little finesse opening the lock I suspect the Lockitron will fail. The Kevo looks like a potential winner but I'm not changing all my locks to Kwikset -- I want one key that opens all doors. If I already had Kwikset I'd go for it in a second.

----------

Yay my iPhone was stolen and the crooks now are able to unlock my HOUSE so they can finish the job!

1) They'd have to know where you live -- do you really have your address on your phone?

2) If you realize your phone is missing you go online and disable the lock just like you disable your iPhone.

----------

How secure is this thing? Couldn't someone make an app to trick it into opening?

Depends on how secure the code is. But if its like the rolling code on a garage door opener or a keyless entry car it would take a while to crack. Keyless entry isn't new, just new to residential locksets.

coder12
May 29, 2013, 09:17 PM

Or, if you looked at their video/website, you can still use your key to unlock the door.

Arnold624
May 29, 2013, 09:19 PM
Just slip a spare charger in your porch somewhere

rnizlek
May 29, 2013, 09:24 PM
Looks cool, but I'd already ordered a Lockitron. I think I'll stick with that.

fruitpunch.ben
May 29, 2013, 10:17 PM
I had pre-ordered a lockitron at $149, so that made this a difficult decision, since it is $50 more. But it is much better looking than lockitron, plastic vs. aluminium, and that makes all the difference. Am trying to cancel my lockitron order and am in line for the August.

snebes
May 29, 2013, 10:23 PM
I look at both this and the Lockitron, and I think they are too big, and they look cheap too. They may be simple, but for me to smack down $200 for something like this, it better have sex appeal as well as usability and simplicity.

macs4nw
May 29, 2013, 10:51 PM
.....Johnson gave the example of a dinner party, where visitors could be invited and let themselves in without having to ring the doorbell.....
Article Link: Jawbone Designer Debuts New August Smart Lock (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/29/jawbone-designer-debuts-new-august-smart-lock/)

Nice lock, but for me, one of the nicest parts of throwing a party, is meeting your guests at the door when they first arrive..... :cool:

charlituna
May 29, 2013, 10:53 PM

I believe that's the reason for it notifying you that your batteries are low. So you can change them before its an issue.

MVallee
May 29, 2013, 10:55 PM
I've been meaning to order a Lockitron for months now, but after seeing this, I might be switching. This looks alot more elegant for basically the same functionality. I'm torn.

portishead
May 29, 2013, 10:58 PM
Just slip a spare charger in your porch somewhere

That's actually a great idea! But I'd have to make sure I brought it in the house to charge every month or two.

iJon
May 29, 2013, 11:10 PM
Looks like battery life is 6-12 months, which is more than fine.

$199 is quite a bit but its the price we pay for cutting edge technology. I will gladly pay this for my new house. The time I would save each day would add up over time to be worth well more than $199 to me.

lolkthxbai
May 29, 2013, 11:43 PM
If you can still open it the old fashion way doesn't that mean the drunk ex-roommate still has access unless you change the lock? Or does it come with a new one already?

APlotdevice
May 30, 2013, 12:30 AM
...the August Smart Lock will be available without subscription fees.

Well it would be pretty insane to require a subscription fee just to lock/unlock a door.

justperry
May 30, 2013, 12:48 AM
Erm....:o ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Mr. Gates
May 30, 2013, 01:00 AM
What happens if the batteries die?

justperry
May 30, 2013, 01:18 AM
What happens if the batteries die?

You can still unlock it on the outside, but they do not say if you can do so on the inside, I would say twist the knob.

------

I think it is kinda silly, gimmicky, most/many times you get out of your car, you have the keys in your hands, so:

Get out of your car.
Push button to lock car.
Put key in lock, twist, open.

Instead of.

Get out of your Car
Push button to lock car.
Put keys in pocket.
Get your iPhone out.
Unlock iPhone.
Swipe to unlock.
(Maybe input password).
Search App.
Tap on App.
Tap unlock.

Icaras
May 30, 2013, 01:35 AM
You can still unlock it on the outside, but they do not say if you can do so on the inside, I would say twist the knob.

------

I think it is kinda silly, gimmicky, most/many times you get out of your car, you have the keys in your hands, so:

Get out of your car.
Push button to lock car.

Instead of.

Get out of your Car
Push button to lock car.
Put keys in pocket.
Get your iPhone out.
Unlock iPhone.
Swipe to unlock.
(Maybe input password).
Search App.
Tap on App.
Tap unlock.

Well I have a Lockitron on order and one of the things it's supposed to do is have a bluetooth proximity sensor, so that just by walking to or away from the door, the lock should automatically lock and unlock. So having it hands free like that doesn't sound gimmicky to me and should actually make it simpler than using your real keys.

justperry
May 30, 2013, 01:39 AM
Well I have a Lockitron on order and one of the things it's supposed to do is have a bluetooth proximity sensor, so that just by walking to or away from the door, the lock should automatically lock and unlock. So having it hands free like that doesn't sound gimmicky to me and should actually make it simpler than using your real keys.

Ok, that's indeed easy, but I still think it is a gimmick, what is so hard about unlocking the old fashioned way?
Just my opinion though.

Icaras
May 30, 2013, 01:49 AM
Ok, that's indeed easy, but I still think it is a gimmick, what is so hard about unlocking the old fashioned way?
Just my opinion though.

I work late night shifts and sometime when I get home and my porch lights aren't on, I have fumbled around with my keys and dropped them on occasion. With one of these products, you can simply walk towards the door and open it.

Also, what about coming home carrying a bunch of stuff like groceries? Or also for women who might have roomy purses who sometimes can't find their keys right away.

justperry
May 30, 2013, 01:54 AM
I work late night shifts and sometime when I get home and my porch lights aren't on, I have fumbled around with my keys and dropped them on occasion. With one of these products, you can simply walk towards the door and open it.

Also, what about coming home carrying a bunch of stuff like groceries? Or also for women who might have roomy purses who sometimes can't find their keys right away.

Fair enough.

Still not convinced though, security is one of them.

Edit: Where I am, from most people get into their houses through the backdoor, many of them need to open two doors instead of one, my dad needs to open three doors before he's in, so, that's an expensive joke.

JesterJJZ
May 30, 2013, 02:50 AM
Most people I know have two locks on their door, the deadbolt, and one in the knob. I can already see the looks on people's faces when they realize that while installing it :apple::):confused::eek::mad::(

mrxak
May 30, 2013, 04:01 AM
As long as there are less secure entrypoints, a locked door is simply a social contract to keep honest people out (and how many honest people go around jiggling doorknobs anyway?).

The crooks are going to come in through a window, or better yet, the sliding glass door in the back where the neighbors won't see them taking your TV out.

If you're the sort of person who has bars on their windows, then maybe a fancy electronic deadbolt-rotator is right for you, just make sure you don't stick it on a lock that's easily pickable or a decent thief will still get in. Hint: if you bought your doorknob and deadbolt set at a hardware store, it's probably easily pickable. Most of the common brands are mass produced cheaply and have many vulnerabilities as a result. Oh yeah, and you'd better have a pretty strong metal door too, that can't be easily smashed open. Your doorframe needs to be as strong as your door.

While the geek in me thinks these sorts of things are cool, the geekier geek in me who has studied locks and security knows that it's a complete waste of money. If you want something equally cool, and far more useful for security, get some home automation modules and set up motion sensors in your house, then make that information available to software on your phone. You can just be notified when somebody's breaking in, and have peace of mind when they're not.

hleewell
May 30, 2013, 04:18 AM
Read the comments: this is cool if you tie/strap/staple your iPhone to your wrist :D

WonderLight
May 30, 2013, 04:55 AM
Cool products, but I can already turn on / off the Raspberry Pi and I made an iPhone application using my garage door.

AppleMark
May 30, 2013, 05:03 AM
Most people I know have two locks on their door, the deadbolt, and one in the knob. I can already see the looks on people's faces when they realize that while installing it :apple::):confused::eek::mad::(

You are right and then some.

My insurance company will not insure, or pay out if:

a) There is no deadlock fitted as a second lock.
b) The deadlock is not locked in the event of a break in.

Which makes it pretty useless as a convenient security option. Nice innovation and useful for other applications, but not on my front door.

APlotdevice
May 30, 2013, 05:19 AM

Which makes it pretty useless as a convenient security option. Nice innovation and useful for other applications, but not on my front door.
This is a deadlock.

macchiato2009
May 30, 2013, 05:27 AM
i find stupid when someone wants to replace a simple object by something way more expensive for the same simple use

like microsoft trying to make the new xbox to replace your $10-regular TV remote

you lose your keys, period. a key without any info is useless

you lose your iphone, the guy now has all your contact details, personal info and an electronic access to your house

spazzcat
May 30, 2013, 05:31 AM
It's made by Jawbone, so it probably breaks after one day...

osofast240sx
May 30, 2013, 05:38 AM

U need a new insurance company. Get allstate. Locks are for honest people. A dead bolt is not going to stop a thief. Just went thru the web site they are showing it as a deadbolt so j would be covered anyway. Your lower lock would be left in the unlocked position. Only problem I see with locking and unlocking deadbolts. deadbolts are usually stiff and require some pressure while locking and unlocking. Will this device have enough power if there is pressure on the locking mechanism?

APlotdevice
May 30, 2013, 05:46 AM
U need a new insurance company. Get allstate. Locks are for honest people. A dead bolt is not going to stop a thief.

If you are one of the many city dwellers who live in a 2+ floor appartment/condo, where the only windows are far above reach, then that dead bolt is actually quite effective.

osofast240sx
May 30, 2013, 06:05 AM
If you are one of the many city dwellers who live in a 2+ floor appartment/condo, where the only windows are far above reach, then that dead bolt is actually quite effective.
I just realized this lock is a deadbolt. And get mounted on the inside. Might be a fire hazard if anything.

fhall1
May 30, 2013, 06:28 AM
only 10 minutes to install.......................IF your door is already fitted with a deadbolt.

APlotdevice
May 30, 2013, 06:43 AM
I just realized this lock is a deadbolt. And get mounted on the inside. Might be a fire hazard if anything.

It can still be unlocked manually by rotating the outer ring.

cmChimera
May 30, 2013, 07:12 AM
I'm enjoying the knee-jerk reactions from people who clearly didn't watch the video.

If you run out of battery, use your key.

You don't have to pull your iPhone out to unlock the door.

$199 is not expensive for the amount of convenience this provides.

You COULD unlock your door the old fashioned way, much like you could do the same for your car. Except we have all accepted keyless entry and remote start systems in cars, why not allow them for the house?

you lose your iphone, the guy now has all your contact details, personal info and an electronic access to your house You could disable access for your phone using your computer, as shown in the video. Also you could wipe it with iCloud.

The-Pro
May 30, 2013, 07:14 AM
Good product.
With time the price will go down as more hit the market.

Tell me though: If it isnt connected to internet how can you receive messages to who entered? Or do you get them when you are in bluetooth range again?

Guess it wont take long until someone finds a software flaw and can hack it.

Carlanga
May 30, 2013, 07:25 AM
Cue the cheap people...

Ooops too late.

Don't worry, go ahead and buy the beta products first. Then when prices go down and the product improves and actually works as described I will buy mine.

iJon
May 30, 2013, 07:25 AM
I'm enjoying the knee-jerk reactions from people who clearly didn't watch the video.

You COULD unlock your door the old fashioned way, much like you could do the same for your car. Except we have all accepted keyless entry and remote start systems in cars, why not allow them for the house?

You could disable access for your phone using your computer, as shown in the video. Also you could wipe it with iCloud.

No kidding, lot of people here thinking really hard why this is a bad idea. I'll never have to give someone a spare key again.

unplugme71
May 30, 2013, 07:30 AM
This would be cool if it was tied in with ADT or some security monitoring service.

This way every time the door unlocks (between hours you aren't home), you could also be notified with push notifications. You can also respond with "not authorized" and ADT calls the police.

All these gadgets are nice but I hate having a separate app for everything. I wish there was an iOS app that did smart house control that used api's for all these gadgets.

bigcat318
May 30, 2013, 07:40 AM
No kidding, lot of people here thinking really hard why this is a bad idea. I'll never have to give someone a spare key again.

Heck, I've had apartments where I wasnt even given a spare key in the first place.

spazzcat
May 30, 2013, 08:18 AM
Don't worry, go ahead and buy the beta products first. Then when prices go down and the product improves and actually works as described I will buy mine.

Someone has to be first

rdlink
May 30, 2013, 08:20 AM
Just my opinion though.

All of these "forward" thinking people just crack me up. There's nothing gimmicky about it. If you watch the video you can see that there are plenty of real world uses for this product. If you use your imagination just a tiny bit you'd think of more.

Took me about two seconds to realize that I would have at least one great use for it. I often go on long bike rides. Every time I go I take my iPhone with me to track my ride via MapMyRide. I also throw my keys in my Camelbak so that I'll be able to get back into the house. With this device I wouldn't have to take my keys with me, and worry about losing them along the way. Also, I wouldn't have to fumble for them in the bottom of my Camelbak with my bike in my hand when I get home. Just walk up to the front door with my iPhone in my pack, and viola! The door is open for me.

What about a house cleaning service? You give access to them, but don't worry about giving them a key that they could make a copy of.

Lots of uses.

Remember when almost every car required a key stuck in the door to be opened? How often do you see that today?

This (and devices like Nest) are the beginning of home automation. Get used to it. In 10 years we'll all wonder how we got along without it. Personally, I would love to have much more home automation. I couple of months ago, while rushing out the door for work I accidentally left the refrigerator door partially open. After a few hours the fridge went into bypass to keep from burning it's own compressor out, and the temp inside was about 80 degrees when I got home. Every bit of the food in the fridge was ruined, and I had to toss it. Probably costs me $100. Sure would like a simple home automation device to tell me that the door was open.

squirrelist
May 30, 2013, 08:29 AM
This replaces the interior toggle of your existing deadbolt
You don't have to fumble with the app to unlock the door
You can manually unlock from inside still whether your are in a rush because of a fire or need to get outside to buy more AA's
Lockitron is probably better suited for apartment dwellers, August is probably better suited for condo dwellers
This isn't just about your own convenience, it's about the convenience of controlling access for friends, neighbors, the maid, AirBnb guests, etc.
You can always keep a spare mechanical key at a neighbor's, in your car, or under a secret brick
Carless urban dwellers such as myself would love something like this so we can leave home with no keys at all
If you are worried about someone stealing your phone and finding out where you live, you REALLY need to have a passcode, for so many other reasons, too

pubwvj
May 30, 2013, 08:44 AM
Too Much Technology.

This is one of those cases of applying too much complexity.

Chupa Chupa
May 30, 2013, 08:54 AM
Too Much Technology.

This is one of those cases of applying too much complexity.

How is it too complex? The homeowner or authorized guest touches the handle and the door opens. It's very simple. This type of technology has been available in cars for about 5 years. Frankly I wondered why it took so long to get to residential homes.

DaveWonders
May 30, 2013, 08:59 AM
How do guests use the lock? I get homeowners would have an iphone, have the app, and it unlocks over bluetooth. But how does it work for people I invite? My parents don't have iphones, how do I know if my plumber has an iphone? Even if they have an iphone, do they have the app?

I guess the website was trying to keep things simple but I did not see a picture or part of the video that shows what the invite looks like on their end - only the invite process from the app.

And someone else mentioned it already - but if it works over bluetooth how are push notifications sent?

Third question - can you unlock it/lock it remotely? 2 scenarios - 1 - Someone arrives unexpectedly while I'm away. Instead of sending them an invite that they may or may not know how to use, etc, I can just unlock it myself. Scenario 2 - Can I check to see if it's locked while I'm away because I have OCD about whether I remembered or not.

fruitpunch.ben
May 30, 2013, 09:21 AM
Lockitron is probably better suited for apartment dwellers, August is probably better suited for condo dwellers

Why? I looked, and I couldn't see any difference in features between lockitron and August. What is the difference?

prowlmedia
May 30, 2013, 09:25 AM
How often will I have to charge my front door?

squirrelist
May 30, 2013, 09:58 AM
Why? I looked, and I couldn't see any difference in features between lockitron and August. What is the difference?

The Lockitron simply goes over your lock, but the August requires disassembling your lock. If your landlord is okay with it, then I guess it's not really a problem.

TimTheEnchanter
May 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
$200 for locking-up the porn closet.... nah :rolleyes:

moderately
May 30, 2013, 10:26 AM
and I love this. I didn't think the touch to unlock on my car would be as enjoyable as it is. It would be great to have the same ease at the front door.
but... I will wait for these to get much cheaper. and in a brass finish.

bearda
May 30, 2013, 10:28 AM
Kind of an interesting idea, but I'm not interested in buying into one of there smart lock devices until I can get one that has a manual lock (not just a handle) on the inside. I guess I'm in the minority but I have sidelights next to the door, and am concerned about someone shattering the windows, reaching inside, and unlocking it from the inside.

Lockitron just actuates the existing handle, so it doesn't work.
Kevo seems like a possibility, but without more into on the different configurations they'll offer nobody is sure. No a fan of Kwikset overall, though.
I like the design of the August lock the best so far, but if you can rotate the inside like a knob it's right out as well.

GoCubsGo
May 30, 2013, 10:51 AM
Just my opinion though.

Also, what about coming home carrying a bunch of stuff like groceries? Or also for women who might have roomy purses who sometimes can't find their keys right away.I've struggled to unlock my door many times while my hands were full. I could put down my ****, but I don't. I struggle. I would love to not have to do that, personally.

You could disable access for your phone using your computer, as shown in the video. Also you could wipe it with iCloud.
At least someone gets it and watches the video, at least.
Personally, in terms of appearance, this is nicer than the Lockitron. The Kevo is quite nice and unassuming for sure, but you must replace your deadbolt. If I didn't want to do that then this one seems like a winner over Lockitron. I love the idea of Lockitron but the large plastic look wasn't something I was ever thrilled with.

justperry
May 30, 2013, 10:59 AM
I've struggled to unlock my door many times while my hands were full. I could put down my ****, but I don't. I struggle. I would love to not have to do that, personally.

I also said that where I am (Originally) from most people use the backdoor and many of them have two doors or more to open (Like my dad-3), expensive joke.

And, I said fair enough, I can see it would be nice to have, but again expensive, $40-$60 is more like it.:)

whooleytoo
May 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
Nice lock, but for me, one of the nicest parts of throwing a party, is meeting your guests at the door when they first arrive..... :cool:

Same here!

Still, look on the positive side. If you could integrate the app with Paypal or some other kind of e-payment service, imagine the opportunities later in the night. "Sorry, Toilet Door 1.0 requires a $0.99 payment to open."

Integrate with the gyroscope in order to detect how many drinks the user has had, and ramp up the toilet price accordingly.. Profit!

Stewie
May 30, 2013, 11:08 AM

------

Get out of your car.
Push button to lock car.

Instead of.

Get out of your Car
Push button to lock car.
Put keys in pocket.
Get your iPhone out.
Unlock iPhone.
Swipe to unlock.
(Maybe input password).
Search App.
Tap on App.
Tap unlock.

I has a keyfob for my car so I never have my car keys in my hand. But also not everyone gets to park so close to their front door that they keep their keys in their hand for the walk from the car to the front door.

ZacNicholson
May 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
$200 for locking-up the porn closet.... nah :rolleyes:

damn thats a lot of porn. id like to see that collection

otismotive77
May 30, 2013, 11:19 AM

agreed, that would a huge problem.
but the lock looks awesome, great idea.

macs4nw
May 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
Same here!

Still, look on the positive side. If you could integrate the app with Paypal or some other kind of e-payment service, imagine the opportunities later in the night. "Sorry, Toilet Door 1.0 requires a $0.99 payment to open."

Integrate with the gyroscope in order to detect how many drinks the user has had, and ramp up the toilet price accordingly.. Profit!

Spoken like a true businessman! Thanks for the good chuckle.....

blitzer09x87
May 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
:eek:WOW! they just took security (and technology) to the next level.
i'm totally impressed, what a great thing to have.

Trik
May 30, 2013, 12:10 PM

You don't have a pin code lock on your phone? You really should do that.

SockRolid
May 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
Much like competing products Lockitron and Kevo, the August Smart Lock will be available without subscription fees.

Good thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that subscription fees would be a deal-breaker for consumers.
Maybe OK for institutions.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Apple has already worked out their own smart lock technology.
They've applied for multiple patents on RFID and transaction technologies for retail shopping, banking,
and of course smart locks. These patent applications date back as far as 2009.

Source - NFC-related patents:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/tech-nfc/

Source - smart lock patents:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/09/some-of-apples-future-rfid-magic-is-revealed-in-a-new-patent.html

----------

You don't have a pin code lock on your phone? You really should do that.

And if he really cares about security, maybe he should invest in an alarm system.
An alarm system that the iPhone doesn't disarm.

ScousePete
May 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
You don't have a pin code lock on your phone? You really should do that.If it works with Bluetooth proximity, then you wouldn't need to unlock your phone for it to work.

APlotdevice
May 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
If it works with Bluetooth proximity, then you wouldn't need to unlock your phone for it to work.

Yes, but they can't access your personal information to find out where your home is. And if they already know where it is, then it would be no different than if they stole your keys.

iThinkIt
May 30, 2013, 02:57 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GdrWb7tVGj0/UFtizZWT7VI/AAAAAAAAAXA/qyFqlu8VQJs/s1600/Reserved-12x6.jpg

flux73
May 30, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised they didn't go with the obvious name: Lockjaw. :)

I can think of another good use for it. I own a house about 1 hour east of Portland that I'm thinking of renting out on AirBNB during summers. It'd be nice for me to be able to remotely unlock the door if a guest is arriving (and relock after they leave), without having to drive all the way out there out if I happen to busy with something.

But I'm much more interested in Ube - a Kickstarter project for a WiFi switches: http://myube.co/ Waiting for it to come out so I can see reviews. But I would find this to be ALL kinds of useful.

Tankmaze
May 30, 2013, 03:52 PM
wow, i'm loving this. will pre order for sure!

NomadicTy
May 30, 2013, 08:54 PM
I like the unlocked by just walking up to the door. But it does beg a question -- if I'm in bluetooth range inside my house, would it allow someone to just walk up to my door and open it? Or would it know that I am inside and that the door needs to be kept locked?

Bluestrike2
May 31, 2013, 12:02 AM
Kind of an interesting idea, but I'm not interested in buying into one of there smart lock devices until I can get one that has a manual lock (not just a handle) on the inside. I guess I'm in the minority but I have sidelights next to the door, and am concerned about someone shattering the windows, reaching inside, and unlocking it from the inside.

Lockitron just actuates the existing handle, so it doesn't work.
Kevo seems like a possibility, but without more into on the different configurations they'll offer nobody is sure. No a fan of Kwikset overall, though.
I like the design of the August lock the best so far, but if you can rotate the inside like a knob it's right out as well.

Deadbolts usually have a twist knob on the interior side (the less common double cylinder varieties aside). In that context, it really doesn't matter whether you're using the standard twist knob or something like August or Lockitron: you're still going to have uninvited company in the given scenario.

Of course, it's easy enough to go through any one of a number of ground floor windows in your home. For a motivated intruder, your average lock is a deterrent and nothing more.

APlotdevice
May 31, 2013, 12:46 AM
I like the unlocked by just walking up to the door. But it does beg a question -- if I'm in bluetooth range inside my house, would it allow someone to just walk up to my door and open it? Or would it know that I am inside and that the door needs to be kept locked?

Not all Bluetooth devices operate at the same range. Some will only work within a meter or less. It is even possible for a BT smart device to determine how far away it is.

ppdix
May 31, 2013, 12:01 PM
I was about to purchase a wireless remote control lock from Costco a few months back. It had a keypad and a car alarm like remote control... I didn't like the fact that I had to carry the remote on my already overcrowded keychain and it had a horrible nickel finish... :rolleyes:
The price was about $150.
August is gorgeous, simple and relatively affordable.
I already pre-ordered mine.
So far, I have a Nest Thermostat at home and the office, a Philips HUE System and now August...
My home is gonna start looking like Bill Gates' house! :D

sentiblue
Jun 3, 2013, 09:31 PM
Why $199? Because it's new and not deployed in many places.... there are few similar options out there....

Will I buy it at this price? Hell no!!!!

I have a biometric plus security code lock at my door... which will open the door within couple seconds... which is probably faster than using the iPhone. And that's still not as expensive as $199.

I'll probably apply this lock on bed rooms if the price was $40 a pop... but definitely not the front door... Front door is just wayyy too risky... hacker+thief will be able to open doors the whole block in a short time period.... that hacker just needs to crack the app then he knows how to get through.