PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my pb asleep?

sikkinixx
Nov 1, 2005, 01:04 PM
I have to go to class in about 20 mins and i have my pb sleeping right now, it is okay to leave it that way, put it in my back, drive the 15 minutes to school and then pull it out? I hate turning it on and off on and off again but i have heard about things over heating or warping and all this other stuff so im not sure.... Thanks for any help!

berkleeboy210
Nov 1, 2005, 01:07 PM
I'd suggest turning it off if your gunna be traveling w/ it.

grapes911
Nov 1, 2005, 01:08 PM
I leave my PowerBook on all the time. I allow is to sleep all night, to and from class, or any other time I'm just not using it. I've let it sleep for probably up to 15 hours at a time or more. The only thing you have to remember is even though it is sleeping, it does use some battery. You don't want it to shut off and loose anything you didn't save.

Lau
Nov 1, 2005, 01:18 PM
I leave mine asleep for days at a time. The only time I restart it is if it needs it for some reason, and the only time I have ever shut it down is when I knew I wasn't going to use it for a week or so. That's only happened once, when I went on holiday. I've had it a year.

In that time I walk to college with it asleep, cycle to college with it asleep, wander about with it in my flat, etc, etc. I'm not saying I'd recommend my lazy habits (i'm too impatient for that 20 second startup :D), but I think you should be fine driving with it. I'd put the seatbelt on it though. On or off, if it hits the dashboard, that ain't good.

shadowmoses
Nov 2, 2005, 02:36 AM
It wont overheat when sleeping as the only thing on when its asleep is the RAM, therefore it is fine to transport around sleeping,

SHadow

SummerBreeze
Nov 2, 2005, 02:57 AM
When it's time for me to go to class, I just put my PowerBook to sleep, put it in it's sleeve and take it to school with me. Like shadowmoses said, the only thing that is on is the RAM, so you shouldn't have any problems with it. It's the exact opposite of the way my Windows laptop used to be, if I put it to sleep it would just crash all the time and sometimes refuse to wake up.

mcadam
Nov 2, 2005, 03:05 AM
Aaah, this is one of my favorite functions of Apples laptops - just shut the lid and put it in your bag :D Are there any pc's that can do the same? I guess Apple can make them do this because they have full control of both software and hardware.

A

russed
Nov 2, 2005, 03:19 AM
i generally tend to leave mine on if i'm travelling, why have to wait when you turn on!!!

fayans
Nov 2, 2005, 03:23 AM
Aaah, this is one of my favorite functions of Apples laptops - just shut the lid and put it in your bag :D Are there any pc's that can do the same? I guess Apple can make them do this because they have full control of both software and hardware.

A
O yes, my Sony T-notebook goes to sleep whenever I close the lid but I am not too sure if it has better dreams as yours though. ;)