PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Burned Me

alexprice
Nov 1, 2005, 02:14 PM
Today at work I was changing a logic board in a eMac, I noticed a burning smell and located it to an iMac G5 Rev.A 17".

I unplugged it, took the back off and burnt my hand touching the G5 heatsink!!!!

My fingers are very sore this evening and I wish i'd never touched it!

It made me wonder what would have happened if it was left un-attended to, such at overnight.

Would it have shut down?

And if not, would it have set on fire?

Thanks people!

Alex

runninmac
Nov 1, 2005, 02:19 PM
That can't be normal:eek:. Id call apple right away or talk to who ever you got it from.

Pistol Pete
Nov 1, 2005, 02:25 PM
well...it is a heat sink....

i have the same imac...they get HOT

runninmac
Nov 1, 2005, 02:32 PM
well...it is a heat sink....

i have the same imac...they get HOT

Yeah its a G5 it gets hot but should create a burning smell

alexprice
Nov 1, 2005, 03:42 PM
That can't be normal:eek:. Id call apple right away or talk to who ever you got it from.

I repair them, the machine was in for repair with the popular video distortion fault and I had left it on test.

alexprice
Nov 1, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yeah its a G5 it gets hot but should create a burning smell

I presume you mean "should not"

The smell was very powerfull. Got quite worried, thought something was on fire.

lieb39
Nov 1, 2005, 04:19 PM
I'm assuming the iMac was open and whatnot. In anycase, you should never touch a heat sink, all modern computer's heat sinks get very hot. I'd think that be common knowledge for anyone working around open computers... :p

-lieb39

dubbz
Nov 1, 2005, 04:29 PM
I'm assuming the iMac was open and whatnot. In anycase, you should never touch a heat sink, all modern computer's heat sinks get very hot. I'd think that be common knowledge for anyone working around open computers... :p

-lieb39

I once touched the CPU directly. Was a old Athlon. Had a red spot on my finger for several days :p

Hurt like hell..

(Was an accident btw.. I'm not in the habit of touching hot CPUs with purpose ;))

Ashapalan
Nov 1, 2005, 04:34 PM
! i was making up all kinds of images imagining how you managed to burn yourself with an imac :rolleyes:

sounds nasty, a toast to your health.

alexprice
Nov 1, 2005, 05:00 PM
It wasn't like directly on the heatsink, it was just on the cover, the bit the says "G5". I'm gonna have nightmares about them now and a weird phobia about ever touching another iMac G5 heatsink (cover) again.