PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Dashboard Widget Download Site for OS X Broken

MacRumors
May 31, 2013, 10:22 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/31/apples-dashboard-widget-download-site-for-os-x-broken/)

One of the key features of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, launched in April 2005, was the addition of Dashboard Widgets, miniature apps with specific functions that could exist side by side on a dedicated screen accessible at the touch of a key. The feature spawned a market for third-party widgets, leading Apple to launch a dedicated page (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/) where it has hosted widgets for download and provided an easily browsable directory for users.

Widgets have, however, fallen out of fashion with Mac users, and the Dashboard itself has been reduced in prominence as Apple has emphasized other quick-access features like Mission Control, Launchpad, and Notification Center. Apple stopped accepting new submissions to its Dashboard Widgets site in early 2011, but the directory of roughly 4,000 widgets has remained available to users.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/dashboard_widget_directory_istat.jpg
As noted by a MacRumors tipster today, the Dashboard Widgets site is currently broken, with all download links simply redirecting users to the main Apple downloads page (http://www.apple.com/downloads/) rather than initiating a download of the desired widget. Based on a pair (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5053093) of discussion threads (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5069828) in Apple's forums, the download functionality seems to have broken within the past couple of weeks.

It is unclear at this time whether this is simply a technical glitch or if Apple is discontinuing its Dashboard Widgets directory. Apple is still promoting the Dashboard Widgets section on its main downloads page, and the directory itself is functional with the exception of the downloads themselves. A similar issue (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034358) seems to have occurred in June 2012, although it is unclear how long the outage lasted.

Apple is expected to show off OS X 10.9 at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference, but it is unknown if the company is planning any significant changes to the Dashboard functionality in the release.

(Thanks, Ben!)

Article Link: Apple's Dashboard Widget Download Site for OS X Broken (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/31/apples-dashboard-widget-download-site-for-os-x-broken/)

Feed Me
May 31, 2013, 10:24 AM
I still use dashboard frequently for weather and world clocks.

I hope they don't let it die, or kill it!

gmanist1000
May 31, 2013, 10:24 AM
Dashboard is dead.

Simplicated
May 31, 2013, 10:25 AM
But wait! I thought everyone wanted widgets! :rolleyes:

syavno
May 31, 2013, 10:26 AM
What if 'dashboard' became a new iOS interface within OS X? Swipe to access all your iOS apps, right on your Mac! And with iCloud, resume right where you were in the app.

joshhedge
May 31, 2013, 10:28 AM
The only useful thing about dashboard ever was the converter tool, that, and only that, will be missed.

stark93
May 31, 2013, 10:29 AM
Widgets are back up...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

Skika
May 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
What if 'dashboard' became a new iOS interface within OS X? Swipe to access all your iOS apps, right on your Mac! And with iCloud, resume right where you were in the app.

running touch based apps made for completely different architecture on a desktop/laptop

Pls no.

slrandall
May 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
Widgets are back up...

No they're not. Try to download one.

stark93
May 31, 2013, 10:31 AM

I think that'd be pretty awesome!

Macrolido
May 31, 2013, 10:31 AM
I only use Dashboard for see the iStat widget.

vmachiel
May 31, 2013, 10:32 AM
Damn! They don't have to put that much resources into it, but I hope they won't kill it:(

lostngone
May 31, 2013, 10:33 AM
No they're not. Try to download one.

Worked for me.

achtung!
May 31, 2013, 10:34 AM
calculator, weather, unit conversion, translator, tv shows updates.... and many other things that i use frequently. i really hope that they're working on a better way to access and display "widgets". :)

RMo
May 31, 2013, 10:34 AM
I use Dashboard with the Radar In Motion widget, which was just updated this January. I wasn't aware that Apple had stopped listing new widgets, but apparently they still allowed updates to existing ones.

I see that Dashboard has become less prominent with newer OS X releases, but I hope it doesn't go away. (They've still put at least some work into it, making it available as a Space by default instead of just an "overlay" as it had been since Tiger.) For some reason, widgets have become less "cool," but I still find convenience in using a select few. For what it's worth, I see Yahoo! Widgets (formerly Konfabulator, which many people alleged Dashboard to be a copy of and is clearly at least a response to) stopped development almost four years ago, and I'm not sure how popular the Stardock solutions ever were. Not sure what happened that people changed their mind about these.

Besides Radar In Motion, the Weather widget is convenient, as is the Calculator in that it saves me from launching the app. The calendar is also nice to see what day something is or was--much faster than launching iCal.

I'll be sad if it ever disappears unless there is something else equally convenient I can replace these with.

Worked for me.
Still doesn't work for me. You're actually downloading something and not just getting redirected to another page?

I hope this is the result of an error, not an intentional killing-off of their widget repository. At least they can still be obtained from other places, I suppose, in any case.

natd1993
May 31, 2013, 10:35 AM
What's Dashboard?

NutsNGum
May 31, 2013, 10:36 AM
Working here.

onirocdarb
May 31, 2013, 10:37 AM
I like my widgets. I haven't found any good weather apps or simple calendar. Also nice to have a unit converter there when I need it.

Simplicated
May 31, 2013, 10:37 AM

Except iOS apps don't run on OS X due to different processor architectures.

crees!
May 31, 2013, 10:41 AM

Sure they do, in the Xcode Simulator.

jdbaum42
I use it everyday for quick weather reports (like I have time to actually look out a window) and the google voice texting widget. Calculator, too. S'pose I could live without it, or maybe someone will make an app that replicates the functionality.

mac666er
Downloads are still broken. Couldn't download istat pro.

I think the widget idea is great, but in order to be useful, it should be floating around the screen somehow. Something like geektool. I don't want to press a button to check the stocks, weather, the time and istat on a screen of their own. I would prefer them to be floating around so I can glance at them immediately and if needed, press a button to hide them. This is the perfect excuse to have a second monitor and it is something you can't do currently if you have dashboard running on the foreground all the time as the background hides everything in all screens.

As mentioned, I think geektool picked up where widgets left off. I would like for widgets to be brought back up to speed in that fashion.

troop231
May 31, 2013, 10:43 AM

They can in a simulated environment, like the iPhone Simulator in Xcode for example :)

DavidLeblond
May 31, 2013, 10:44 AM

Simulator can't run ARM binaries, which is what the app store apps are. They would all have to be recompiled to support both architectures.

LimeiBook86
May 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
I would be very sad to see Dashboard go. I still have my "Where there's a widget there's a way" Apple mouse pad. Remember when one of the perks of having a Mac G5 was to have the water ripple effect whenever you added a widget to your screen? Thankfully this was kept intact when Apple went Intel in 2006 ;)

Since 10.8 is still using them I can't see them deleting them all right away. Thankfully it's not like the App Store. You can download widgets and install them manually. Although with their directory gone (or at least not functioning) that would be a harsh blow. Plus the built-in 'Add Widget' functionality would probably cease to function.

As far as widgets on iOS, I'd love for some of that functionality. Especially on the iPad. But I can see it working on the iPhone as well. :)

bushido
May 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
id miss weather, world clocks, tv guide, currency converter and my ram, heat, cpu useage widgets

Simplicated
May 31, 2013, 10:46 AM

They can in a simulated environment, like the iPhone Simulator in Xcode for example :)

Unless Apple comes up with a very creative way to run (maybe stream?) apps that are on the App Store, it is not possible. Apps in the iOS Simulator are compiled for Intel.

JayCee842
May 31, 2013, 10:51 AM
Dashboard is still a little useful to me. :)

oneMadRssn
May 31, 2013, 10:56 AM
I've said it a few times: Dashboard needs to merge with Notification Center. We don't need two different swipeable areas for at-a-glance information.

Make widgets to fit and dock in Notification Center, and get rid of Dashboard. If I could get the weather widget, a simple calculator, and some sports scores in Notification Center, then there would be no need at all for Dashboard. Also, a unit converter, stock ticker, stats, etc, could easily be adapted to be Notification Center Widgets.

Bartman01
May 31, 2013, 10:57 AM
Working here.

From what I can tell it is partially working. Some widgets download fine, others take you to the iCloud log in page.

tanousjm
Working now for me. Still, this article caused me to use Dashboard and widgets for the first time in months.

roadbloc
I can see Widgets becoming an App Store thing maybe.

michaywood
May 31, 2013, 10:59 AM
dashboard = weather and calc

bedifferent
May 31, 2013, 11:00 AM

Great, now people can continue their "Angry Birds" game from their iPad in OS X. This would be great, if the iPad actually had decent apps for work (I'm looking at you iWork and Office). iDevices have generally been used for entertainment. Take a look at the top paid and free apps - games, games, media app, games, possibly a calendar or task app, oh, and more games.

Mobile devices are generally used for entertainment, I have yet to see corporations/firms move to tablets over notebooks or desktops as they are merely an extension. Even so, there aren't many app's that work between the two and meet the needs for the business sect. I'm tired of iOS being a main focus for OS X development.

Apple, get back to what made OS X so great - stability, speed, actual multiple display support, improved OpenGL Core, and work on Finder. Leave Facebook, Twitter and "Angry Birds" to the kiddies.

ArtOfWarfare
May 31, 2013, 11:01 AM
I used to use and make widgets, but then I discovered that menu bar apps can offer the same functionality of widgets without the inconvenience of having to open the entire dashboard just for a single widget.

Plus making money off of menu bar apps is a lot more feasible than with widgets (widgets are written in HTML/CSS/JS, meaning that the code isn't ever compiled, meaning people can easily or repackage or redistribute your code in any way they please.)

milo
May 31, 2013, 11:04 AM
Weird, I tried it and it downloaded the wrong widget, one called "the dashboard".

I hope they don't dump widgets, I'd hate to have to fire up apps just for things like calendars, world clocks, calculator, currency conversion, etc. If they need an overhaul, sure, but don't just kill them off.

Peace
May 31, 2013, 11:05 AM
Working now for me. Still, this article caused me to use Dashboard and widgets for the first time in months.

Works fine for me too.

bobr1952
May 31, 2013, 11:08 AM
Interesting seeing this thread since to be honest, I had forgotten all about Dashboard since I got my rMBP with Mountain Lion. I had to find it and open it just so I could remember what it looked like, so I guess I would be one of those who wouldn't miss it if it were to disappear. :)

nagromme
May 31, 2013, 11:09 AM
Guess I'll copy my Stickies and put them into iCloud-synched Notes instead. They're the only widget I use regularly. (And Dictionary/Thesaurus, but OS X has an app for that which is easier to use anyway. I might use Translate but I never remember it exists.)

Dashboard was a neat idea for a while, but I think those widget functions (weather, world clock, quick info on stuff) are simply served better by my iPhone and iPad these days.

It's also possible I'm spoiled by my Air's SSD: I can launch the full Calendar and Address Book instantly. Just as fast as Dashboard (faster even--at first boot) and more functional.

I say Dashboard is bloat we can remove. Any widgets people really rely on are HTML anyway, and could be reworked as web bookmarks or web apps. Or let third parties step back in... Recall that Konfabulator still exists (sort of) under the name Yahoo Widgets.

I've said it a few times: Dashboard needs to merge with Notification Center. We don't need two different swipeable areas for at-a-glance information.

Make widgets to fit and dock in Notification Center, and get rid of Dashboard. If I could get the weather widget, a simple calculator, and some sports scores in Notification Center, then there would be no need at all for Dashboard. Also, a unit converter, stock ticker, stats, etc, could easily be adapted to be Notification Center Widgets.

Sounds like another good "back to the Mac" concept from iOS! One that hopefully will expand in iOS too (with these mysterious upcoming APIs Tim Cook just mentioned?) Notification Center with flexible third-party widgets, in both OS X and iOS?

As for Calculator, Command-Spacebar is my calculator! (For those who don't know: type some math there... just don't press Return or type an = sign.)

Yamcha
May 31, 2013, 11:14 AM
This is nothing new, I tried it almost a year back and the download site was indeed broken..

crucius
May 31, 2013, 11:15 AM
Also working here.

baller1308
May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
I can see Widgets becoming an App Store thing maybe.
I agree. They should just include the widgets in the App Store. Would make more sense to have a centralized location for apps/widgets.

ResPublica
May 31, 2013, 11:17 AM
Although I rarely download widgets, I do frequently use the weather, metric and clock widgets. So I'd miss Dashboard if they killed it.

Otis Bagotis
May 31, 2013, 11:18 AM
I use the Sticky notes all the time. It's convenient to store a phone number that I don't necessarily want in my Contacts or to just jot down little reminder. The reminders app is a piece of junk that I loathe using.

I like the idea of moving some of the widgets into the notifications bar. I never bother opening that because there's nothing particularly useful there but widgets would change that. Plus I would be able to look at my widgets while in a full screen app without having to navigate to the Dashboard.

Amazing Iceman
May 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
I don't think widgets will go away. When you try to download a widgets you get redirected to the Downloads page; this makes me suspect that widgets may be distributed through the AppStore instead of the Apple website.

And it makes sense, as this is currently an open door for malware.

EDIT: I just noticed someone else mentioned AppStore above, so my post suddenly became redundant.

pgiguere1
May 31, 2013, 11:22 AM
Dashboard may not have been given a lot of love from Apple lately, but I still use it frequently. A lot more so than Launchpad. I'd be sad to see it go away.

Amazing Iceman
May 31, 2013, 11:29 AM
Dashboard may not have been given a lot of love from Apple lately, but I still use it frequently. A lot more so than Launchpad. I'd be sad to see it go away.

i use it too:

- Weather
- Time Machine Buddy
- Calendar
- TV Show Tracker
- EasyEnvelopes
- Translation

So yeah, I would miss it too. My best guess is that Widgets will be improved and distributed through the AppStore for safety.
I would expect this change to happen in 10.8.4 and 10.9

George Zip
May 31, 2013, 11:37 AM
Without even reading the comments, I know there'll be a bunch of "dashboard is dead, move on" posts (e.g.; I don't use it so no one needs it).

I use Dashboard routinely (weather radar, a calendar (to let me see a few months dates at a glance, Delivery Status (probably my favorite widget), and a recent addition, a lyrics lookup for iTunes). All of this is easily replaced with web site links and/or my iPad.

But I still like the quick hit of F4, a glance at the radar or the calendar, etc., and then back to the desktop (or whatever Space).

I'll miss it if it goes away, but it won't kill me if it does.

M-O
May 31, 2013, 11:38 AM
it's been down for a month. someone finally noticed today.

portishead
May 31, 2013, 11:43 AM
Good I never used them, and it was a waste of a feature. Glad Apple realizes this and moves on instead of being stubborn. It's a good sign and gives me hope even if it's just a small thing.

Jessica Lares
May 31, 2013, 11:52 AM
I always thought that there was so much potential being wasted by developers NOT making Dashboard widgets. It's a nice open space you can do so much with.

curmudgeon32
May 31, 2013, 11:54 AM
I still find Dashboard very useful as a very fast overlay that brings up information without disturbing what you're doing in your main OS X interface. I especially get a lot of use out of the Dashboard clippings feature from Safari. I found a weather graphic I like a lot and made a clipping of it, and when I want to see it quickly I hit one button on my keyboard and it's there. No fishing through tabs, no switching to my browser. One button.

mono1980
May 31, 2013, 11:56 AM
Good I never used them, and it was a waste of a feature. Glad Apple realizes this and moves on instead of being stubborn. It's a good sign and gives me hope even if it's just a small thing.

Yes, so just because YOU don't use them, Apple should get rid of them? I use many widgets every day. Calculator, dictionary, stickies, converter and color picker, plus others. All these features are just a gesture away.

curmudgeon32
May 31, 2013, 12:03 PM
I used to use and make widgets, but then I discovered that menu bar apps can offer the same functionality of widgets without the inconvenience of having to open the entire dashboard just for a single widget.

Yeah, but that starts to get cluttered fast, and the available real estate in the menu bar is severely limited to begin with. Also a lot of stuff doesn't need to be ALWAYS in your face. As far as "the inconvenience of having to open the entire dashboard" — you're aware it's a single button?

macs4nw
May 31, 2013, 12:06 PM

I'm confused too! I regularly use several myself, and find them quite useful.

iisdan
May 31, 2013, 12:06 PM
Widgets are so dumb, i would much rather use a fully functional app that takes the same amount of time to open, i haven't used widgets since playing with them when they first came out

Foxglove9
May 31, 2013, 12:10 PM
It's been down at least 2 weeks now. I noticed it when I installed an SSD into my iMac and was doing a clean OS install. I couldn't seem to download my old widgets so I just assumed it was user error or browser issues.

Morod
May 31, 2013, 12:17 PM
I use Dashboard and my widgets every day! Please keep them.

iPusch
May 31, 2013, 12:19 PM
my weather widgets are constantly leaving their positions!! its annoying lol

Paradigm
May 31, 2013, 12:21 PM
I like being able to hit one key on my keyboard (using wired aluminum) and being able to see Radar in Motion. Very useful and quick!

pubwvj
May 31, 2013, 12:37 PM
I wish Apple would stop being so fickle. They keep introducing useful things and then discontinuing them. This leaves those of us who use tools or data related to these things in the lurch. Apple is not to be trusted with anything that matters. They are becoming just an entertainment company and not all that great a one at that.

yaymath
May 31, 2013, 12:40 PM
I actually use spotlight as my calculator now.

Habberkuk
May 31, 2013, 12:41 PM
Widgets are back up...

No they aren't. If you try to download a widget you will get redirected to Apple's download page (http://www.apple.com/downloads/)

----------

Apple please don't kill the dashboard :( I use it everyday with a lot of widgets...

bedifferent
May 31, 2013, 12:50 PM
I'm confused too! I regularly use several myself, and find them quite useful.

I like them on my desktop a la Windows [ducks]. There is a widget to take any widget out of Dashboard and places it on your desktop. Love it.

sjinsjca
May 31, 2013, 12:54 PM

Agreed. I like having my dashboard with weather widgets and stock widgets and no windows at all, and I peek at it many times a day.

But that widgets site has been "broken" for a long time. The redirect behavior for the links is new, but many of its links have been broken or lead to dead sites for years.

I hope this is just a refresh situation, but widgets and the Dashboard have had the whiff of death about them for a while now. A pity.

MikhailT
May 31, 2013, 01:06 PM
The problem with Dashboard widgets is that they're hard to find, not updatable, difficult to find cool and interesting widgets.

All of these can be fixed by moving widgets to its own section on the App Store.

I use Dashboard to monitor my deliveries with Delivery Status by JuneCloud, Dashcode to monitor a specific area of our company site, weather and calendar.

Morod
May 31, 2013, 01:09 PM
i use it too:

- Weather
- Time Machine Buddy
- Calendar
- TV Show Tracker
- EasyEnvelopes
- Translation

So yeah, I would miss it too. My best guess is that Widgets will be improved and distributed through the AppStore for safety.
I would expect this change to happen in 10.8.4 and 10.9

Thank you for posting your widgets names. I never knew there was a Time Machine Buddy, and since my TM has been acting a bit weird lately, this will help me log what it's doing. Just downloaded it.

Supertecnoboff
May 31, 2013, 01:15 PM
If Apple decide to keep Dashboard widgets support, I hope they add a section to the Mac App Store, where developers can upload widgets. It would be a much more convenient and better place to download them rather than from the Apple website.

ArtOfWarfare
May 31, 2013, 01:27 PM
As far as "the inconvenience of having to open the entire dashboard" — you're aware it's a single button?

Yes, but it involves your entire screen being taken over by dashboard and having to load every widget that you currently have open in it. I like having a 20x20 icon in the corner that gives me a little bit of info and expands when I click on it to tell me more. I used to use the calendar widget, but now I use fantastical. I used to use the calculator widget and converter widget, but now I use other menu apps for those. The weather widget got replaced with my iPhone which has some nice weather apps on it.

auhagen
May 31, 2013, 01:28 PM
iStat and Post-it's are reason enough for me to keep it.

And what am I gonna do without PetLobster?? :O :O

"Come for the freak, stay for the food." :D

Asclepio
May 31, 2013, 01:29 PM
dashboard is better than ios6

RMo
May 31, 2013, 01:46 PM
Simulator can't run ARM binaries, which is what the app store apps are. They would all have to be recompiled to support both architectures.

Or emulated. I think we've seen that happen a couple times before... ;)

Unless Apple comes up with a very creative way to run (maybe stream?) apps that are on the App Store, it is not possible. Apps in the iOS Simulator are compiled for Intel.

Not that creative: just an ARM emulator on Intel. Just like they had a PPC emulator on Intel and a 68k emulator on PPC. (See above.) I imagine this would be even easier since they're emulating mobile-on-desktop rather than desktop-on-desktop. (Emulating Intel on PPC, as I recall, was not very fast. I don't think PPC on Intel would be very fast either, except Rosetta was quite tolerable for me, possibly because by the time Apple switched, Intel was way ahead of their old PPC choices.)

EDIT: I'm not saying that I think this will happen, just that it's not that far-fetched. Of course, if it does, I envision the ultimate solution being "univeral"/"fat" binaries compiled for both architectures--also something we've seen happen before.

ssahla
May 31, 2013, 02:01 PM
Don't know what Apple is going to do with Widgets, but right now, the download site seems to work. Just another temporary outage maybe?

Mr Rabbit
May 31, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hoping it's just maintenance of some sort to prepare for a Dashboard related announcement during the WWDC festivities in 10 days. I rarely use widgets at home but to be fair I usually use my iPhone or my Mac mini TV, rarely am I doing proper work at home. At work though I keep several widgets up that I check quickly throughout the day by three finger swiping on my Magic Trackpad...

Weather
Calendar
World Clock - Set to Cupertino time for scheduling with our Apple rep and to plan for keynotes
Stock Tracker
Converter
Daily Joy of Tech comic

Sure I can get by without all this but it would be great to see Apple improve and breathe some life back into this neglected feature.

herr_neumann
May 31, 2013, 02:08 PM
No they aren't. If you try to download a widget you will get redirected to Apple's download page (http://www.apple.com/downloads/)

----------

Apple please don't kill the dashboard :( I use it everyday with a lot of widgets...

Just downloaded Radar In Motion without issue.

I personally use Weather, Convert, Stocks (quick glance at some global indices in the morning) and Calculator (for quick calcs) regularly.

Robellyn
May 31, 2013, 02:32 PM

Ha ha! Yes, just like Windows 8 did with it's 'modern' interface!

And while I think it's a brilliant idea, public opinion seems to think it's the anathema of the operating system world.

solamar
May 31, 2013, 02:43 PM
I honestly think Widgets would be much more popular if the OS X App Store promoted them and allowed a person to search for and developers to publish Widgets to the store.

I also think a similar 'widgets' for iOS would be popular.. a separate screen that a person could put stocks, weather, tool widgets, etc..

Done the Apple way, I think it would still work well. They just have allowed it to die w/o giving users a real chance to to use it under the new app store system. Not many know about it otherwise..

Prodo123
May 31, 2013, 03:17 PM

I use it for quick-access movie times and calculator. I know this one widget that is a full featured scientific calculator and it's saved me tons of time. There's also iStat, which isn't particularly useful but handy to have. And the world clock, almost indispensable.

BanterClaus
May 31, 2013, 03:17 PM
Hope they don't kill it. I use it regularly for currency conversion, different time zone checking, and weather.

swingerofbirch
May 31, 2013, 03:31 PM
I noticed their web apps page hasn't been updated since 2010, either, with many links that are now broken. The worst part of the web apps page is that it was never itself turned into a mobile site. It's pretty difficult to navigate on an iPhone. Apple is not like other companies that keeps teams on a broad portfolio of services and ideas. They seem to have fairly singular focus and let other things fall by the wayside.

petsounds
May 31, 2013, 03:49 PM
Widgets have, however, fallen out of fashion with Mac users

According to whom? I use the Dashboard many times each day to check stocks and weather, as well use the Dictionary/Thesaurus, calendar, and world clocks. Oh, and APOD and iStat Pro.

jacg
May 31, 2013, 03:54 PM
I've always loved Dashboard. I use the Safari Webclip function to create an excellent weather widget. I have a number of very useful widgets, such as a really quick timer, unit converter and Lorum Ipsum generator. I have to use the Safari Webclip function to hold images (such as timetables) for quick and easy reference, because in mountain lion I can't seem to use any of the image viewing widgets any more (drag n drop doesn't work).

I hope Dashboard keeps the option to stay as a floating layer, where I like it best. I would pay for good quality, maintained widgets so yes, an App Store model makes sense.

I can't believe anyone used the Apple Widget site - there's no search function so unless you knew exactly which category to look in and had plenty of time, it was useless as a repository. Just use google or MacUpdate or something.

portishead
May 31, 2013, 04:02 PM
Yes, so just because YOU don't use them, Apple should get rid of them? I use many widgets every day. Calculator, dictionary, stickies, converter and color picker, plus others. All these features are just a gesture away.

I'm glad you found them useful, but I think I should say - Apple should implement them differently. It's not a great feature as currently implemented. Just because 3% of users use widgets a lot doesn't make them worth using. Yes I made that number up.

erio
May 31, 2013, 05:15 PM
I noticed their web apps page hasn't been updated since 2010, either, with many links that are now broken. The worst part of the web apps page is that it was never itself turned into a mobile site. It's pretty difficult to navigate on an iPhone. Apple is not like other companies that keeps teams on a broad portfolio of services and ideas. They seem to have fairly singular focus and let other things fall by the wayside.

They should use interns to update their site! :p

Silvereel
May 31, 2013, 06:28 PM
I honestly think Widgets would be much more popular if the OS X App Store promoted them and allowed a person to search for and developers to publish Widgets to the store.

Yeah, I love Dashboard. I realize that a lot of people couldn't care less, but it has its uses. iStat, Live Radar, stocks... I really love having it around. I hope that at the very least Apple doesn't kill it, even if they do continue to let it languish. What I would really like to see, though, is them bringing out all of its potential, and breathing some new life into it through the App Store.

Edgecrusherr
May 31, 2013, 06:51 PM
If Dashboard failed, it's Apple's fault for not fostering it's growth. I'm pretty sure Dashboard's widgets is what gave them the general idea for the iPhone's home screen and small apps—they're basically widgets. Dashboard launched in 10.4, and 10.5 was delayed because of the iPhone.

Why now a Dashboard Widget Store? I do like the idea someone said of iOS apps in the Dashboard, that's a great idea! I know my Mac could easily emulate ARM, and I'm sure it would be pretty easy to compile it for Mac instead (that what's going on when you test iOS apps on your mac anyway, right?).

I use the following every day of my life at home and at work:
Calculator (both Apple's and PCalc)
Calendar
Weather
Stickies
Translator
Units
iStat Nano

Mums
May 31, 2013, 08:52 PM
I use Dashboard all the time for the calendar, dictionary, iStat, calculator, and unit converter. I can't believe Apple is letting it go.

I NEVER use launchpad. I do use multiple screens constantly (whatever that's called).

Freyqq
May 31, 2013, 10:16 PM
site seems to work fine now

lotones
May 31, 2013, 11:26 PM
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2279/mydashboardedit.jpg

from my cold, dead hands, etc...

star-affinity
Jun 1, 2013, 06:41 AM
It just struck me. Hopefully they're not discontinuing support at least.

Risco
Jun 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
I never use the dashboard, totally useless.

star-affinity
Jun 1, 2013, 10:59 AM
I never use the dashboard, totally useless.

No, it's not. At least not objectively. I'll bet you haven't really given it a chance.

Saying that Dashboard is totally useless is almost like saying a computer is useless. It's true for some, but there's so much you can do with it that it becomes a little wired calling it ”totally useless”.

coolspot18
Jun 1, 2013, 11:37 AM

They do, but only if they're implemented correctly. OSX widgets are slow on first load and are on a separate screen which takes effort to switch to. It's Apple's implementation that was a failure.

SurfSpirit
Jun 1, 2013, 12:10 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

If you use a U.S.A. Proxy it will download files, if you are from Europe, tried Germany and Portugal ip addresses it will redirect to http://www.apple.com/downloads/

If it's apple Webmasters mistake or Apple killing Dashboard widgets for the rest of the World, I do not know.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJRqirvAAoJEKGy3OtbQR0rLZ0IAItJqTEifB834ikjnV7WBuYF
22pjkdFsoDsAYyl5ptxh7UwAgJNxjfGIr4qj4V2+3KTADKkRAuz6SK3Gj7D9i+bh
IFNzA3UYF8fnmDZpwtwSh3uUPaIAFZgqrwZJZbQbF9aWTrFdm4KWwfShktBq+4Pb
YBKsNzY8R0sCR4lhJ7QyCDxxZfD7VimrDGR6/x04X936e1CkNb65a/1vt0PjUZgX
QvK78z6zYNagp2rd7ZWOncEnJHaoduCftE3gALNGKlL+qVyPGgLz7zRd0KCrNaOP
kz9ADhTBJRxjY75+CI4PbKIOZs63oeGOLpNfQN4FCWFD8PiN9vYG8rM/Qc/Ttis=
=VftD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

macnisse
Jun 1, 2013, 04:51 PM
I want a widget where I can put all of my widgets ;-)

----------

I use Dashboard all the time for the calendar, dictionary, iStat, calculator, and unit converter. I can't believe Apple is letting it go.

I NEVER use launchpad. I do use multiple screens constantly (whatever that's called).

Same here! There is definitely a crowd of people actually using dashboard widgets. Hopefully apple will not kill it but rather improve it.

ravenvii
Jun 1, 2013, 08:23 PM
They do, but only if they're implemented correctly. OSX widgets are slow on first load and are on a separate screen which takes effort to switch to. It's Apple's implementation that was a failure.

On the other hand, Microsoft put it directly on the desktop. No separate screen, no effort to access.

That, too, was a failure.

What implementation would be a success in your eyes?

szw-mapple fan
Jun 1, 2013, 09:00 PM
It's back online!

iMacFarlane
Jun 1, 2013, 09:27 PM

You ever mess around with the iPhone/iPad simulator in xCode? Some minor tweaks and integration into the UI, and the deal is done.

It's more a matter of using a touch interface without the ability to, er, touch, that'll keep this from happening, I think.

keepaheadback
Jun 1, 2013, 09:58 PM

xSinghx
Jun 2, 2013, 01:23 PM
I use dashboard way more than I ever touch launchpad.

-Yellow Stickies
-Dictionary
-Calculator
-Weather

If anything launchpad is redundant if you use the dock.

coolspot18
Jun 2, 2013, 01:46 PM
On the other hand, Microsoft put it directly on the desktop. No separate screen, no effort to access.

That, too, was a failure.

What implementation would be a success in your eyes?

Windows 7 widgets work quite well - quick to access, no separate screen to view.

Android has decent widgets, accessible directly from your lock screen if needed.

Widgets are an optional feature, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them.

Michael Goff
Jun 2, 2013, 01:49 PM
You ever mess around with the iPhone/iPad simulator in xCode? Some minor tweaks and integration into the UI, and the deal is done.

It's more a matter of using a touch interface without the ability to, er, touch, that'll keep this from happening, I think.

That's a horrible idea.

Also, the simulator runs code generated for an x86 environment.

Concorde Rules
Jun 2, 2013, 03:59 PM
Still use Dashboard every day.

If it is killed, I hope someone creates something to replace it.

I've even got a Preference Pane to convert the F4 button to Dashboard from Mission Control or whatever it is on Lion/ML!

LOLZpersonok
Jun 2, 2013, 05:31 PM
I can't really use the dashboard anymore on my Mac. Ever since I got it the dashboard would lock up the computer when I tried to open it.

So I'm not entirely heartbroken.

It kinda reminds me of Microsoft dropping the desktop gadgets in Windows 8.

antonis
Jun 2, 2013, 11:19 PM
Even if they plan to bring something else for 10.9 in place of widgets, they wouldn't just break the download site links. It must be temporary.

batchtaster
Jun 3, 2013, 12:19 AM
I just downloaded a bunch of widgets through the site. Whatever it was seems to have been resolved.

"If a situation is ever unclear, assume whatever it would take to drive you into a blind rage."

Eric E. Schmidt
Jun 3, 2013, 04:10 AM
i use/utilize the thesaurus/synonym dictionary each and every day. it helps/assists me enrichen/elevate my daily/quotidian communication/correspondence.

RickyB
Jun 3, 2013, 05:41 AM
Wasn't Dashboard based on some third party app that ran on 10.3?

iFitzgerald
Jun 3, 2013, 01:21 PM
I hope they don't kill it, I tend to use them almost everyday. I usually buy things from Amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk, so I use the currency converter to find out the price in euros.

Every once in a while, I also use the unit converter and although I feel confortable with English, sometimes I do find a word that I'm not familiar with, so I translate it.

iStat Pro, Stickies and Weather widget are also useful, even though I don't use all the time (but still somewhat regularly), but one that I started using a couple of days ago is the Calendar widget. Sometimes I want to quickly check the calendar and I feel stupid for never remembering to use the widget instead of opening the Calendar app until I read on this thread that someone did that.

JM-Prod
Jun 3, 2013, 01:42 PM
I love the dashboard!

Junecloud makes great widgets that can synch to iOS devices, such as Delivery Status and Notefile. I hope Apple welcomes the Dashboard to iCloud and the Appstore, and revitalise it!

How can one live without world-clocks, notes, currency and unit converters and weather widgets just a swipe away?

Negritude
Jun 3, 2013, 04:27 PM
Wasn't Dashboard based on some third party app that ran on 10.3?

You're thinking of Konfabulator, which later became Yahoo! Widgets.

People accused Apple of copying that concept.

Here's sycophant John Gruber's take:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator

talmy
Jun 4, 2013, 08:41 AM
You're thinking of Konfabulator, which later became Yahoo! Widgets.

People accused Apple of copying that concept.

Here's sycophant John Gruber's take:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator

Which reminded me of Borland Sidekick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Sidekick) for MSDOS back in 1983. Perhaps Apple originally copied that. I all but forgot about Sidekick, but I used it more frequently than Dashboard now. It was a big productivity booster.

The problem with Dashboard is that you can get all of its functionality by just running multiple applications simultaneously, which is easily done with today's large RAM sizes and fast multi-core processors.

lotones
Jun 4, 2013, 09:50 AM
The problem with Dashboard is that you can get all of its functionality by just running multiple applications simultaneously, which is easily done with today's large RAM sizes and fast multi-core processors.

Wut? The whole reason for Dashboard is that you can get all the functionality of running multiple applications simultaneously without wasting much ram or cpu, which can be used for more important things. Just because you have large RAM sizes and fast multi-core processors doesn't mean you want to waste them tracking a package or monitoring your cpu/gpu temperature while you're converting massive video files.

talmy
Jun 4, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wut? The whole reason for Dashboard is that you can get all the functionality of running multiple applications simultaneously without wasting much ram or cpu, which can be used for more important things. Just because you have large RAM sizes and fast multi-core processors doesn't mean you want to waste them tracking a package or monitoring your cpu/gpu temperature while you're converting massive video files.

For me the whole reason for Dashboard is convenience. Only rendering and transcoding video hits my CPU limits, but apps not actively in use consume very little CPU resources anyway, so I don't shut them down. And I've never been able to utilize the full 8GB of RAM on my main computers, even with dozens of apps.

I do use Dashboard and iStat Pro for system monitoring, but iStat Menus has more capability and would be just as easy to use. Tracking packages is now built-in to OS X, as is access to dictionary and thesaurus, and I use Spotlight for a quick calculator. Other widgets I use can easily be replaced with bookmarks in Safari. I don't think I'd weep for long if Dashboard went away in 10.9.

terriyaki
Jun 4, 2013, 01:46 PM
As an avid snowboarder in the PNW I find Dashboard to be tremendously useful during the wintertime thanks to the ECSatellite widget.

Dopplers and satellites to help keep track of the pow, yo.

Cubytus
Jun 4, 2013, 06:02 PM
I use it everyday, too, to keep an eye on my machine's stats, mainly. Aalthough it can get suprisingly heavy on the CPU.

curmudgeon32
Jun 5, 2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, but it involves your entire screen being taken over by dashboard and having to load every widget that you currently have open in it. I like having a 20x20 icon in the corner that gives me a little bit of info and expands when I click on it to tell me more. I used to use the calendar widget, but now I use fantastical. I used to use the calculator widget and converter widget, but now I use other menu apps for those. The weather widget got replaced with my iPhone which has some nice weather apps on it.

Comes down to preference, I guess. I don't mind a momentary overlay over my screen, even if I'm only looking at one part of what's on the Dashboard — after all, I only have one pair of eyes anyway.

I actually find it quicker to hit that one dedicated keyboard button (or gesture or mouse button), than to identify and click a very tiny menu bar target, especially as I'm trying to keep my hands on the keyboard if I can. As far as calculations, I do most of those through Alfred anyway :)

----------

I've even got a Preference Pane to convert the F4 button to Dashboard from Mission Control or whatever it is on Lion/ML! I use the same thing on my Air, which has the dumb "Launchpad" button. Launchpad is easily the most useless thing I've ever seen in OS X. Fortunately my Mini still has a slightly older keyboard with the Dashboard button.

Guppy51
Jul 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
Ok glad is just not me. I got my Macbook 3weeks ago and wouldn't download and widgets. I though it was my problem.

Currently cannot download/install anything of this list
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/20-mac-dashboard-widgets-that-are-still-worth-installing-in-2013.html

mainly want to get a to-do list widget.

yliu
Aug 7, 2013, 10:02 AM
Only thing I use on dashboard is iStat.

Apple need to find a way to revive dashboard... Otherwise it's dead, no one makes widgets anymore.

iclanzan
Aug 17, 2013, 04:15 PM
I use the dashboard to monitor all sorts of metrics (mostly website stats) and I created a sweet widget for that. You can read about it here (http://iclanzan.com/putting-the-os-x-dashboard-to-good-use-introducing-pegged/) if you like.

armirza
Dec 1, 2013, 08:06 AM
I would like to use my widgets based on their functionality too. So far I like all the widgets I have got but this could have been a good addition.

Silver78
Dec 2, 2013, 03:22 AM
How do i remove the dashboard? So annoying it shows as a desktop when it does not work!

mateus
Dec 2, 2013, 06:27 AM
I'm surprised we haven't seen a load of Windows 8 like tiles created for Dashboard. I'm not saying this would be a good thing, it wouldn't be, but I'm just surprised that no one's created them - their must be a market for colourful 2d rectangular widgets that launch apps/webpages, and display your Facebook info, emails, etc. It would be very easy to do.

Jambalaya
Dec 2, 2013, 06:50 AM
How do i remove the dashboard? So annoying it shows as a desktop when it does not work!
This worked for me link - how to turn off dashboard (http://lifehacker.com/182657/how-to-turn-mac-os-x-dashboard-off)

talmy
Dec 2, 2013, 09:49 AM
I use Dashboard, but the the easiest way to turn off Dashboard as a separate space is to go to System Preferences=>Mission Control and uncheck "Show Dashboard as a Space". You can turn off the keyboard shortcut on this page as well, if you wish.

Rossatron
Dec 2, 2013, 10:35 AM

open terminal and type

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

then type

killall Dock

i did it myself, dashboard kinda lost its magic

discojo3
Jan 4, 2014, 08:42 AM
As an avid snowboarder in the PNW I find Dashboard to be tremendously useful during the wintertime thanks to the ECSatellite widget.

Dopplers and satellites to help keep track of the pow, yo.

hay bud new to all this mac stuff loving it what is that widget on the right looks intresting

cheers