PDA

View Full Version : Camino Browser for Mac Officially Discontinued

MacRumors
May 31, 2013, 11:38 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/31/camino-browser-for-mac-officially-discontinued/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/camino_logo.jpgLongtime Mac users are likely to be familiar with Camino (http://caminobrowser.org/), a Mac-specific browser based on Mozilla's Gecko engine, the same engine used in Netscape 6/7, Firefox, and other browsers. Officially launched in February 2002, Camino took advantage of Cocoa APIs and Apple's Aqua user interface elements and also integrated with several other Mac OS X features.

The open source browser continued under development for roughly a decade, although it was never able to achieve significant market share given its relatively low profile and Mac-only availability. In 2011, project contributors announced plans to shift Camino to the WebKit engine used by Safari, Chrome, and other current browsers, but the effort never took hold.

Camino was last updated in March 2012, and today the project's website (http://caminobrowser.org) has been updated with a message announcing that development has ceased.After a decade-long run, Camino is no longer being developed, and we encourage all users to upgrade to a more modern browser. Camino is increasingly lagging behind the fast pace of changes on the web, and more importantly it is not receiving security updates, making it increasingly unsafe to use.The message goes on to tout the contributions of Camino to the browsing experience, noting that former Camino developers had gone on help build Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, all of which have experienced significant popularity on the Mac platform.

Article Link: Camino Browser for Mac Officially Discontinued (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/31/camino-browser-for-mac-officially-discontinued/)

sza
May 31, 2013, 11:42 AM
There is an end to everything.:(

icloud
May 31, 2013, 11:43 AM
pour some out for one's homie.

B...
May 31, 2013, 11:44 AM
Oh no, not...what was it again?

GenesisST
May 31, 2013, 11:46 AM
Sad, but understandable.

It was my browser of choice when I first got a Mac in 2006, until Firefox was native Cocoa, but now a Chrome user.

johnnnw
May 31, 2013, 11:47 AM
I find it hard to believe people were actually still using this in 2013. Too many better options.

I think there may be 4 people out there upset by this

GenesisST
May 31, 2013, 11:48 AM
I find it hard to believe people were actually still using this in 2013. Too many better options.

Out of that 4, 3 are developers of the product and the other one lives in his moms basement while in his 40s. :D

Mac21ND
May 31, 2013, 11:49 AM
pour some out for one's homie.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lD-VCJrIafs/T8gzRa5Kk3I/AAAAAAAAAK0/CPVNmi2-yhc/s640/pour-one-out.jpeg#one%20for%20my%20dead%20homies%20266x500

q64ceo
May 31, 2013, 11:52 AM
RIP

You were a good browser in your day. With the exception of how the tabs are designed (wished they look more like Safari) I loved the UI.

At least we still have OmniWeb

Macrolido
May 31, 2013, 11:53 AM
End of the camino for Camino...

Makosuke
May 31, 2013, 11:55 AM
I was a dedicated Camino user back when it was (almost unarguably) the best option on the Mac, so it's a bit sad to see it go this way.

Out of that 4, 3 are developers of the product and the other one lives in his moms basement while in his 40s. :DNo, actually, my wife still uses it alongside Safari and Firefox for a few sites (going to have to force her to give it up, which I'd been meaning to do for a while), as does at least definitely-not-living-in-his-mom's-basement engineer at work.

JosephAW
May 31, 2013, 11:57 AM
I've long sinced moved to tenfourfox on my G5.

May 31, 2013, 12:02 PM
There is an end to everything.:(

Good and clean-looking browser, but I don't even remember the last time I used it - probably around 2005 with my iBook G3.

nemesiswar
May 31, 2013, 12:07 PM
Sad...

Ambrose Chapel
May 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I haven't used it in years, but it was my go-to browser for a long time, back in the day. At least it leaves us at a time when we have lots of good options.

macs4nw
May 31, 2013, 12:12 PM
Still love those old 'aqua' user interface elements. Good memories!

Four oF NINE
May 31, 2013, 12:16 PM
So sad to see Camino go away. I really enjoyed that one. It was a good run though.

Mousse
May 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I haven't used it in years, but it was my go-to browser for a long time, back in the day.

Yeah, back in the day...:cool: It was my primary browser back when computers when I had 26.6Kbps and a 100Mhz Power Computing machine. It was twice as fast as any other browser I could find at the time.

I switched to Firefox several years later, after getting a G4 and DSL.

Tankmaze
May 31, 2013, 12:23 PM
switch to mac in 2005, very aware with camino. but i've used firefox right away and now chrome.

but to be honest, i'm a bit surprise they lasted this long. so cheers to camino.

iThinkIt
May 31, 2013, 12:27 PM
So sad to see Camino go away. I really enjoyed that one. It was a good run though.

http://davidosmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/the-end.jpg

nagromme
May 31, 2013, 12:30 PM
My browser of choice in years past. Thanks! It filled a need.

ethicka
May 31, 2013, 12:33 PM
Sad to see it go but haven't used it since Chrome filled the minimalist browser niche. There was a time it was tops!

mzeb
May 31, 2013, 12:37 PM
Got on board when it was called "Navigator". The OS X browser decision process for me was as follows:

1) IE comes preinstalled - but it's a half a**ed preview... next
2) HEY this Ominweb thing does well - but I have to pay... next
3) Alrighty, this mozilla thing is tolerable - but I like the built in OS X mail and so it's too big and sluggish... next
4) Navigator... fast and free... nice

The it got called Chimera which spawned Phoenix on the windows side.

Chimera then became Camino and all was well on the Mac

Phoenix became Firebird and then Firefox and all was well on Windows

Needless to say, I'm sad these two browsers have had their run (judging both by market share). I'm really looking forward to what comes out of mozilla next though.

tobyw7
May 31, 2013, 12:49 PM
I loved this browser for its simplicity, a sad day :(

applesith
May 31, 2013, 12:51 PM
Only used it for alternative browsing.

Dctape
May 31, 2013, 01:05 PM
Used to swap between Camino and iCab back in the day...

edenwaith
May 31, 2013, 01:06 PM
I used this browser the most on my 2001 iBook under Mac OS X 10.1. I think I might have it Docked on an older Panther or Tiger installation. However, my main web browser since Mac OS X was first released was OmniWeb for many, many years (however, I now switch between Safari and Chrome).

I remember using Chimera 0.7. There were some nice features which I was hoping would end up in some other browsers. Also loved some of the early toolbar icons and even kept using those instead of some of the newer icons used in later version.

Got on board when it was called "Navigator". The OS X browser decision process for me was as follows:

1) IE comes preinstalled - but it's a half a**ed preview... next
2) HEY this Ominweb thing does well - but I have to pay... next
3) Alrighty, this mozilla thing is tolerable - but I like the built in OS X mail and so it's too big and sluggish... next
4) Navigator... fast and free... nice

The it got called Chimera which spawned Phoenix on the windows side.

Chimera then became Camino and all was well on the Mac

Phoenix became Firebird and then Firefox and all was well on Windows

Needless to say, I'm sad these two browsers have had their run (judging both by market share). I'm really looking forward to what comes out of mozilla next though.

Homeslice
May 31, 2013, 01:13 PM
was my default browser until safari was announced.

back when you could still get IE for mac too

mbhebsgaard
May 31, 2013, 01:29 PM
I used to love it! Sad to se it go!

RMo
May 31, 2013, 01:32 PM
Oh no, not...what was it again?

Don't make fun of a (formerly) good product just because you're (probably) too young to remember it. Mozilla (yes, Mozilla, not Firefox) back in the day ran on OS X but always looked a bit out-of-place. Camino took the Gecko rendering engine from Mozilla and wrote a native Aqua interface around it. It was much nicer to use.

Oh, and then Firefox (then called Phoenix) came along later and did the something similar for Windows and Linux, albeit with the standard XUL/Gecko-based UI. They actually didn't make a Mac version at first because they didn't want to put effort into filling an already-filled niche.

Camino (formerly Chimera itself) has since fallen behind, and the look and feel of Firefox on OS X (which, of course, they eventually decided to make--once Mozilla developers shifted primary focus to Firefox rather than the suite as their future) has dramatically improved. While Firefox still doesn't integrate with OS X features like Keychain, it's no longer as bad as it once was. Meanwhile, while it was never my primary browser, I've had a hard time justifying keeping Camino around as even a backup browser.

Still, its influence is not to be understated. RIP.

ghostface147
May 31, 2013, 01:39 PM
I hadn't used it in a very long time. Adios amigo.

Stridder44
May 31, 2013, 01:41 PM
Goodbye old friend. I still remember using it back when there wasn't a whole lot of other better options. It was solid back then, but hasn't really changed too much since, so this comes at no surprise really. I was more surprised it took them this long before discontinuing it.

AppleMark
May 31, 2013, 01:41 PM
Never used it.

MrDoo
May 31, 2013, 01:44 PM
. At least we still have OmniWeb

For now.

Nem Wan
May 31, 2013, 02:11 PM
Did they ever reveal what the deal was with Sifo-Dyas?

Michael Goff
May 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
RIP

You were a good browser in your day. With the exception of how the tabs are designed (wished they look more like Safari) I loved the UI.

The Omni Group seems to be focusing on things that make them money ... and OmniWeb isn't one of them

kockgunner
May 31, 2013, 02:35 PM
Features and speed are severely lacking so this is understandable, but I still remember in elementary school when teachers told us to fire up Safari or Camino in the library so we could do research :)

I wish the Camifox extension for Firefox still worked as I'm still partial to the way Camino works. I'll be keeping a copy of it on my G4 Powerbook since Safari is very slow in that machine.

Parasprite
May 31, 2013, 02:52 PM
Never used Camino, but if I love the idea of it. If my first Mac wasn't after they had switched to Intel, I would have probably used it too.

I find it awesome that most desktop web browsers now are at least tolerable, I would probably choose IE 8 or 9 over just about anything 5 years ago had to offer.

seble
May 31, 2013, 02:53 PM
It's the only browser that works on my 2002, 700mhz PowerBook :( looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade ;)

YanniDepp
May 31, 2013, 03:30 PM

It's probably the best browser to use on 'vintage' macs, like my two iMac G3's. It has built-in options to block ads and Flash. Which, on a 400MHz PPC processor, are great features to have.

mikepolinske
May 31, 2013, 03:38 PM
I used Camino to print selected text from a web page. Didn't see any way to do that in Safari.

Vaga8ond
May 31, 2013, 03:52 PM
Another one bites the dust. First Shiira now Camino :(

ShinySteelRobot
May 31, 2013, 05:00 PM
It may have been a bit long in the tooth, but at least Camino had the tabs' close boxes on the "Mac side", i.e., left side, just like Safari does.

It annoys me no end that Chrome insists on putting the tab's close buttons on the "Windows side" even on Mac, and there's no way to change it. Talk about cognitive dissonance. It's really irksome when the Windows look and feel leaks onto the Mac platform for cross-platform apps.

(At least with Firefox you can mod the browser to have the close boxes on the left.)

Starfighter
May 31, 2013, 05:46 PM
It was, is, and will be for som time to come - my main browser when on Mac. Fastest PowerPC-browser in my opinion.

ClamshellOfDoom
May 31, 2013, 05:49 PM
What a shame. Camino provided the most Mac-like browsing experience, hands down. The best theme available for Firefox (Foxdie) doesn't even come close to Camino.

Imixmuan
May 31, 2013, 06:07 PM
To a great piece of OS X software.

Leopardwebkit is honestly the way to go on PowerPC now, and was last updated a few days ago. Install with the included shell script and all of your webkit browsers (such as Omniweb, Roccat, iCab, Stainless) will now have the latest webkit core running within them, and with ClicktoFlash and ClicktoPlugin installed I can watch most (though not all) webvideo without the hated Flash in Quicktime.

Love and use tenfourfox, it still does things Leopardwebkit can't, but isn't as speedy. Stick with version 17.X.X if you need plugins.

Albright
May 31, 2013, 09:41 PM

Do we? I gave up waiting for a 64-bit-compatible release, let alone one with an updated version of WebKit. I bought OmniWeb back when it was shareware and greatly prefer OmniWeb's vertical tabs and keyword searching features over Safari, but eventually I got tired of waiting and switched to Safari.

I hope Omni Group can release OmniWeb's source and let the community develop it further, because it still has some great features other browsers can't match, but as it stagnates it just becomes more old and unusable every day.

Michaelgtrusa
May 31, 2013, 10:25 PM
To a great piece of OS X software.

Leopardwebkit is honestly the way to go on PowerPC now, and was last updated a few days ago. Install with the included shell script and all of your webkit browsers (such as Omniweb, Roccat, iCab, Stainless) will now have the latest webkit core running within them, and with ClicktoFlash and ClicktoPlugin installed I can watch most (though not all) webvideo without the hated Flash in Quicktime.

Love and use tenfourfox, it still does things Leopardwebkit can't, but isn't as speedy. Stick with version 17.X.X if you need plugins.

Stainless is dead, iCab has a new beta.

SkyBell
Jun 1, 2013, 02:38 AM
One of my two main browsers on my eMac - not as compatible with some websites as TenFourFox, but usually all-around quicker on most.

Just another nail in the coffin for 10.4/PPC. :(

mrxak
Jun 1, 2013, 03:42 AM
I forgot this existed. I mean, even among the niche browsers almost nobody used, Camino was tiny. I'm surprised it hung on as long as it did.

Competition is nice, even if nobody notices you. I don't think we've seen the end of the browser wars, though. We've seen so many iterations, little browsers coming out of nowhere, big companies suddenly making their own, browsers living and dying. I think the mobile browser space is going to introduce some new players, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years there's a whole new set of names in the browser space. There's always open-source offshoots and who knows what the Linux people are up to there's a whole slew of different ones in that world.

designs216
Jun 1, 2013, 05:27 AM
Image (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lD-VCJrIafs/T8gzRa5Kk3I/AAAAAAAAAK0/CPVNmi2-yhc/s640/pour-one-out.jpeg#one%20for%20my%20dead%20homies%20266x500)

That's a cool photo. What's your connection?

a0me
Jun 1, 2013, 06:21 AM
Sad, but understandable.

It was my browser of choice when I first got a Mac in 2006, until Firefox was native Cocoa, but now a Chrome user.
Crazy, I went through the exact same path and I also got my first Mac in 2006. I switched to Firefox because Camino had already started to lag behind and Firefox was getting there on the Mac.

nkear5
Jun 1, 2013, 06:40 AM
I still use this on my G4 iMac. Looks like TenFourFox is the chosen one.

blue22
Jun 1, 2013, 03:10 PM
It was a solid web browser for it's time, but not surprised by this news due to the lack of consistent & timely updates in the past several years. Personally, I haven't used it much (if at all) since about 2007.

nostromo77
Jun 2, 2013, 10:15 AM
Never celebrate an option, a choice or an alternative taken away from you. It doesn't matter if you didn't use it, others did and some used to. The fact is that not only did a dream die here, but people loosing their job over something they once believed in.

Now maybe you should pay more respect towards a situation like this than making fun of it just because you never used it or didn't like it.

Imagine the day when people will make fun of you for having used an iPhone when the iPhone won't be around anymore. Yeah, like some of you say... nothing lasts forever.

So pay some respect to yet another fallen "Alternative Application"

Senor Cuete
Jun 2, 2013, 10:41 AM
I still use Camino as well as Firefox and Safari. It was obvious that Camino was not being maintained. I still have it because of the very many book marks which Mozilla provides no way to migrate to Firefox.

mayuka
Jun 2, 2013, 10:57 AM
I still use Camino as well as Firefox and Safari. It was obvious that Camino was not being maintained. I still have it because of the very many book marks which Mozilla provides no way to migrate to Firefox.

I, too, still use Camino. And it is my preferred browser, because Cookie handling and plugin behaviour are outstanding. Camino has a nice option to import/export Bookmarks to both Firefox (html) and Safari (plist). You can easily convert between both browsers.

It's really sad to see practically the last browser with a native GUI to Mac OS X to bite the dust. Not to forget that it runs on Power PC.

toaster64
Jun 2, 2013, 07:54 PM
It's the best thing if you have an old Mac with a slow Safari (since Safari gets messed up on some computers somehow). It's like FireFox but a lot faster, and it comes with built-in ad blocking and Flash blocking :D

HMF
Jun 3, 2013, 10:41 AM
Sad, I still use it at home

great simplicity and a great and fast engine back in the days.

Using Camino since 2006

Now will be using the older brother Firefox

Hope that some day can come back :)

MacsRgr8
Jun 3, 2013, 02:48 PM
Used Chimera too before it was Camino.
I used it as my main browser before Safari became mainstream.

Sad to see it go, but I assume all developers are well looked after now!

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 3, 2013, 02:54 PM
The nightly is still going? http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/nightly/

aristotle
Jun 3, 2013, 04:19 PM
only used it for alternative browsing.
tmi.
:d

derbothaus
Jun 3, 2013, 09:16 PM
Chimera (later Camino) on 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 was all I ever used. I thought when Firefox started it was no match for that cocoa gecko that made my PPC fly. Then it turned into a 1 man show and then that man started to work at Google. Check in's floundered. Mozilla stopped active support. :mad::confused::(

wobegong
Jun 3, 2013, 10:26 PM
To anyone on a PPC try Roccat (http://runecats.com/roccat.html) its actively maintained (mine got autoupdated only last night to v3.3) and runs perfectly on my G5.

Truffy
Jun 4, 2013, 01:44 AM
I guess it succeeded in its own way. It brought a more pleasant Mac-like UI to the gecko engine than was available otherwise. But I never used it for anything other than testing. Now there's a wealth of attractive and powerful browsers...or Firefox if you must (glares at Mrs Truffy).

ihuman:D
Jun 7, 2013, 10:36 AM
The nightly is still going? http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/nightly/

That's strange. The nightly build also got updated yesterday. :confused:

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 7, 2013, 05:31 PM
That's strange. The nightly build also got updated yesterday. :confused:

It's automated. no dev since Feb 2013.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 7, 2013, 05:36 PM
Just export them and import them in Firefox.

Nightly builds will be turned off soon.

Hildegerd
Jun 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
I forgot this existed. I mean, even among the niche browsers almost nobody used, Camino was tiny. I'm surprised it hung on as long as it did.

Competition is nice, even if nobody notices you. I don't think we've seen the end of the browser wars, though. We've seen so many iterations, little browsers coming out of nowhere, big companies suddenly making their own, browsers living and dying. I think the mobile browser space is going to introduce some new players, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years there's a whole new set of names in the browser space. There's always open-source offshoots and who knows what the Linux people are up to there's a whole slew of different ones in that world.

Agreed.

To anyone on a PPC try Roccat (http://runecats.com/roccat.html) its actively maintained (mine got autoupdated only last night to v3.3) and runs perfectly on my G5.

Thank you for the link.

----

Anyway, what are people using these days besides Safari?

Michael Goff
Jun 10, 2013, 11:37 AM
Agreed.

Thank you for the link.

----

Anyway, what are people using these days besides Safari?

Some people use Firefox, some use Chrome, some use Opera. If you were sticking with Safari, btw, I'd suggest using WebKit Nightly.

Hildegerd
Jun 10, 2013, 01:03 PM
Some people use Firefox, some use Chrome, some use Opera. If you were sticking with Safari, btw, I'd suggest using WebKit Nightly.

I use Opera and are considering downloading Maxthon as well.