Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastmboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
When I right-click on a file in Finder and select "Open With...", it lists all appropriate installed applications. However, I keep backups of all my app install folders in a separate folder. Sometimes I have multiple versions there. The "Open With" list displays the installed apps plus any of these backups and older versions. There are several tutorials on the web about how to rebuild this list to get rid of duplicates, but I haven't found anything on how to keep backups/older versions from showing up. The first think that comes to mind is zipping up all the folders that aren't in the Applications folder and that have a ".app" file in them. Will this work? Is there a better way? Thanks.

Lastmboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
You did search the older MacRumors threads did you? Duplicate items in contextual menu?.

Yes, I read that, and I am able to reset the list. However, every time I do that, all apps then think they are opening for the first time. More importantly, the other versions are usually back within 10 to 15 minutes. I was asking for a way to stop it from happening. Resetting the list 10 times a day isn't really a solution.

My guess was that it's just looking for every file on the system that has the .app extension. Instead of just looking in the "Applications" folder, it seems to scan all drives and folders. However, it doesn't seem to look within .zip archives. I was just wondering if the best way to fool it is to put all backup/older .app files into a .zip file and then delete the .app file so that it can't be found.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You did search the older MacRumors threads did you? Duplicate items in contextual menu?.

You need to read the OP's post. He is aware of how to rebuild launch services, however, has a separate problem he is trying to address.

When I right-click on a file in Finder and select "Open With...", it lists all appropriate installed applications. However, I keep backups of all my app install folders in a separate folder. Sometimes I have multiple versions there. The "Open With" list displays the installed apps plus any of these backups and older versions. There are several tutorials on the web about how to rebuild this list to get rid of duplicates, but I haven't found anything on how to keep backups/older versions from showing up. The first think that comes to mind is zipping up all the folders that aren't in the Applications folder and that have a ".app" file in them. Will this work? Is there a better way? Thanks.

The rebuild launch services Terminal command (below) will fix the dups, but as a far as old apps showing up there you will need to either delete the app or as you suggested ZIP it. I just did a test and you need to rerun the launch service rebuild after your ZIP the app for the app to disappear from the menu.

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder

Lastmboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
The rebuild launch services Terminal command (below) will fix the dups, but as a far as old apps showing up there you will need to either delete the app or as you suggested ZIP it. I just did a test and you need to rerun the launch service rebuild after your ZIP the app for the app to disappear from the menu.

ok. Thanks! I figured I would have to re-build launch services after zipping them up. Just wasn't sure if it would still eventually find them and put them back in the list. I guess the best way to find out is to try a few :) I was wondering if there was some preference setting somewhere to get launch services to ignore files in a specific drive or folder. Looks like there isn't. Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.