Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalel77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
hey everyone,
after skype recently cut it out the video library for mac users that using version 2.8, basically all the powerpc machines :mad:, there is a good alternative to make video conference between mac and pc?
I using iChat for all my mac contacts, but now I really need another solutions that let me make videochat with windows users.
Thanks for the help!

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
If you don't need group calls, then you can call via Jabber / XMPP .. iMessage.app supports calling this way.. And there exists client for Windows that supports that but I can't remember now - For Linux there's plenty of clients..

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
I must have missed this thread as I posted in the other one. Check out Jitsi - open source and cross-platform.

kalel77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
That's the client I wanted to suggest. Thank you!

Mac PowerPc can't use imessages and either adium/skype comvination.
I downloaded the jitsi but i can't use both the isight camera and the logitech c310 camera.
Any suggestions?

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
hey everyone,
after skype recently cut it out the video library for mac users that using version 2.8, basically all the powerpc machines :mad:, there is a good alternative to make video conference between mac and pc?
I using iChat for all my mac contacts, but now I really need another solutions that let me make videochat with windows users.
Thanks for the help!

Google chat does video.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
You could do google hangouts, however I would suggest getting a new machine. If you're using a power pc processor still you definitely need an upgrade.

Antonius

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
It wouldnt make sense to remove video capability on ppc since the video feed goes peer to peer and not through any skype servers...

Maybe the op wants an alternative to skype, Yahoo messenger should still work

kalel77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
What about using the Hangout feature of Google+?
The main features as video, don't work on Mac PPC..

I don't get it... I'm still doing video calls with skype on PowerPC....

And so am I, I'm a little confused here....

Maybe the op wants an alternative to skype, Yahoo messenger should still work

Same here, just completed a video call back home no problems...
If you're able to do video conference on Skype is because from the other side the user have a Skype version <6.2 when they will update the new version, in both case, Windows or Mac, than you won't be able to do videoconference anymore.
Check more info here:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac-Linux/skype-2-8-0-866-video-not-working/td-p/1485601
We need a good substitute for Skype Win-Mac conference because for mac - mac ichat still the best software I ever used.
Jitsi seems to be nice but the webcams don't working..

wobegong

May 29, 2012
My parents live (literally) on the other side of the world and Skype is crucial, of course I don't have to use the G5 but thats the machine (now out of semi retirement again...) sitting on my desk so why should I dig out my iPad (and plug in speakers/earbuds as the speaker is too weak to hear properly) or pull my laptop out of its bag - I want to just (ideally) flop at my desk and take/make the call. (My parents use an iPad only).

So assuming the iPad version of Skype will also soon go the same way, I'll just make sure they do not upgrade their Skype version.

Other straightforward alternative appears to be Yahoo Messenger, its PPC supported apparently and still and has an iOS app supporting video/audio though would have to test that out, no experience with Yahoo at all.

kalel77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ok guys just a little update:
I tried to video skype with a friend that have the most recent MacBook Pro with 10.8.4.
If he use the most recent Skype version, video with me Power Pc User, it's not allowed, after he downgraded to the version 6.0 everything with the video was working perfectly.
I presume the same solution is ok with Widows users that use version 6.0
Cheers.
Enrico

spunkgarLEWII

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Any downgrade from 6.3 or 6.2 will work for both ends, PowerPC included. Its when on the other end a PC user or IntelMac user installs 6.2 or 6.3, thats when you will run into video chat problem on the PPC end.

Ok guys just a little update:
I tried to video skype with a friend that have the most recent MacBook Pro with 10.8.4.
If he use the most recent Skype version, video with me Power Pc User, it's not allowed, after he downgraded to the version 6.0 everything with the video was working perfectly.
I presume the same solution is ok with Widows users that use version 6.0
Cheers.
Enrico

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
You could do google hangouts, however I would suggest getting a new machine. If you're using a power pc processor still you definitely need an upgrade.

No you don't. I am so tired of people who would go into the PowerPC sub-forum and start hating on PowerPC. Would you tell someone UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE if they had a 2009 MBP 15"? The QC PMG5 has a higher geekbench score, and is just more fun to use. I have an 8 core 8150 AMD PC with 7970 GPU, and the PowerMac G5 is almost always in use while the PC is powering extra HDDs on the PowerMac, or connected to the 7800GTX powering it, to put less stress on the lobo (logicboard).

spunkgarLEWII

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
Dude,

I don't know why you got AMD. What if you decide to hackintosh your PC? There is virtually no support for making an AMD PC into a hackintosh without serious modifications. Just my .02 on that.

As far as bashing PowerPC? Those naysayers can say what they want, but in the end so long as the computer and OS are doing what you want it to the machine is far from being obsolete.

My G5 Quad and PowerBook G4 1.67 are going incredibly strong, even though I have a 6-core Mac Pro.. and depending on what kind of Mac Pro is to be released at WWDC this will be the main factor in determining whether or not i plan to sell off my Mac Pro currently.

No you don't. I am so tired of people who would go into the PowerPC sub-forum and start hating on PowerPC. Would you tell someone UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE if they had a 2009 MBP 15"? The QC PMG5 has a higher geekbench score, and is just more fun to use. I have an 8 core 8150 AMD PC with 7970 GPU, and the PowerMac G5 is almost always in use while the PC is powering extra HDDs on the PowerMac, or connected to the 7800GTX powering it, to put less stress on the lobo (logicboard).

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I wasn't bashing power pc, in fact I love old Apple machines! I was just saying you should get a new machine to use from day to day, it will support way more stuff and be way faster!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.