PDA

View Full Version : Best setup for Home Theatre, file storage and Time Machine

Risco
Jun 1, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hi, I currently have a router with external drive connected via the usb on my WNDR 3700 which is connected to my Virgin Media Superhub in modem mode. I am looking to streamline my setup. Below is what I have:

Superhub in modem mode
WNDR 3700 as router and wireless.
Apple TV
Macbook Pro
Couple of iPhones

Now the reason I run the hub in modem mode is that it is POS if run as a full router. I have just recently found out there is going to be a superhub 2 apparently is going to be great router meaning I can dump my WNDR 3700. My feelings are to get a Synology NAS 112J, but I read that I would still need to have my Macbook running with iTunes open, but would work as a Time Capsule?

Thoughts?

linds15
Jun 1, 2013, 11:04 AM
unless you have a jailbroken ATV2, you are going to have to have itunes running on the mac, or an iphone relaying the stream is you get the synology. you won't be able to have a direct stream from either a hard drive plugged into the router nor with a nas

dnjmarlboro
Jun 2, 2013, 05:03 AM
unless you have a jailbroken ATV2, you are going to have to have itunes running on the mac..

Or you are running Plex. Since there is PlexConnect your ATV3 does not need to be jailbroken to run Plex...

linds15
Jun 2, 2013, 11:54 AM
Or you are running Plex. Since there is PlexConnect your ATV3 does not need to be jailbroken to run Plex...

forgot about that, still not the optimal solution but its a method to try.

dnjmarlboro
Jun 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
Optimal would be the ATVFlash Player (ATV2 with Jailbreak only).
But Plex is much better than streaming Movies via iTunes...