PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360

getbigg21
Nov 1, 2005, 06:13 PM
Hello-

How much would you guys pay for an xbox 360 since all the preorders are sold out?

G5Unit
Nov 1, 2005, 06:14 PM
199 dollars. Console gaming is only good for Parties.

ipacmm
Nov 1, 2005, 06:25 PM
retail price of $399 because I already have mine on pre-order, but I would really like to pay only $199 because that all to me its worth.

Dagless
Nov 1, 2005, 06:40 PM
The most I'd ever pay for any gaming platform is 150. They can stick whatever hardware they want in there but for something to play video games 150 is my limit. whats that? $264? Which is why I wont even bother touching an Xbox 360 until its that price. so gimme a shout in 3-4 years time. or maybe not at all with this MarketPlace thing (gamers having to pay for rewards rather than being good at a game).

meh. I'm like Colin in Advance Wars. best if i horde my money ;)

wwooden
Nov 1, 2005, 07:34 PM
I probably won't buy one until they release Halo 3, but I don't mind paying $400. I only play one game at the moment, Halo 2, I don't see a need to buy a system to just play a game I can play just fine now. The only thing that sucks is that I can't use any of my controllers from the original XBox, I have 4.

Powerbook G5
Nov 1, 2005, 07:49 PM
I don't see the XBox 360 being with that much money. Besides, after going through 3 different defective XBox systems and having multiple controllers stop working on me, I think I'll pass. I just can't wait for the Revolution to come...

GFLPraxis
Nov 1, 2005, 08:08 PM
I wish I had preordered one so I could sell it on eBay when the preorders run out...BWAHAHA!

2nyRiggz
Nov 1, 2005, 08:35 PM
i would pay $299 for a PS3........oppz this is an xbox thing....i'll pay $199:D

Bless

getbigg21
Nov 1, 2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah I preordered one and I am thinking about putting it on ebay after it is released. I may be able to make some money off of it. A few years back the ps2 sold for over $1000 on ebay around christmas

grapes911
Nov 1, 2005, 08:47 PM
A few years back the ps2 sold for over $1000 on ebay around christmas
I wouldn't expect anywhere near that. XBox won't be in the same demand. When PS2 came out that is all there was. Now we have to competitive console manufactures. Many people are waiting until both systems come out before they buy. Plus, they probably will make more for the launch than Sony did for the PS2. No one had any idea that the demand would be so great for the PS2.

savar
Nov 1, 2005, 08:52 PM
I probably won't buy one until they release Halo 3, but I don't mind paying $400. I only play one game at the moment, Halo 2, I don't see a need to buy a system to just play a game I can play just fine now. The only thing that sucks is that I can't use any of my controllers from the original XBox, I have 4.

I don't want to buy one until

A) Halo 3 comes out.
B) I own an HDTV.
C) The price for the hard drive model drops to $300
D) All of the above.

Wooden, you're totally money about the controllers as well. I even bought mine off Ebay and they were still real expensive -- and took a long time to get at that. Unless the new controller has particularly cool features (wireless is cool but at $50/pop I don't need more than one of those), there should be no reason why the 360 is incompatible with the old controllers.

I think MS is aiming a little bit too high with this one. Way too expensive, and it feels like most of what you're paying for is graphics, which won't look much better than they already do on my 19" Trinitron. And the worst part is that the HD (which, in my opinion, *made* the original XBox) isn't even standard anymore.

PS. The answer is D). I bought my XBox long after the rush and I suspect the same will be true of the 360.

PPS. Does the 360 come with what used to be called the "HD AV pack"? That is, connectors for high-def output, and a coax connector for digital SRS sound?

jcarm24
Nov 1, 2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah I preordered one and I am thinking about putting it on ebay after it is released. I may be able to make some money off of it. A few years back the ps2 sold for over $1000 on ebay around christmas
I'm doing the same thing. The fact that the pre-orders are gone and that it's rolling around xmass time is a good sign. Although the demand may not be as high as it was for the PS2, I do believe it will be a pretty hot item. I have seen plenty of good reviews for the console. I've also seen reports on news sites (CNN for example) saying that Microsoft is planning on releasing a constant stream of the consoles, rather than big spikes. This means that come holiday season, there is could be a shortage. As long as the release date stays the same, I think you'll be in pretty good shape.

GFLPraxis
Nov 1, 2005, 11:52 PM
Unless the new controller has particularly cool features (wireless is cool but at $50/pop I don't need more than one of those), there should be no reason why the 360 is incompatible with the old controllers.

I don't know if the old XBox used USB for controllers or not (don't think it did but I never really looked at the box itself), but even if the connectors were compatible, the XBox 360's black and white buttons are in different locations and the XBox 360 adds the XBox 360 button with 4 LED's to tell you which player you are.

PPS. Does the 360 come with what used to be called the "HD AV pack"? That is, connectors for high-def output, and a coax connector for digital SRS sound?

Only the $399 Premium model.

4Mac
Nov 2, 2005, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't expect anywhere near that. XBox won't be in the same demand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Ultimate-package-deal_W0QQitemZ8229148164QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Granted, there are a few extras, but dang...that's a lot of $$$!! :eek:

getbigg21
Nov 2, 2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah see I'm thinking the closer it gets to Christmas the more these will go for on ebay.

kuyu
Nov 3, 2005, 11:17 AM
I want one really bad, but I wouldn't pay more than retail for the thing. That's why I preordered. Luckily I found a bundle that actually included all the extras I wanted. That being said, $400 isn't a bad price considering what you get.

If someone told you Apple had a new computer (The Apple iDen, "the computer just left the office") with the following specs:
Triple-core PowerPC @ 3.2 GHZ
512 RAM
20 GB HDD
ATI R520 with 512 mb DDRII @ 700 mhz and 10mb EDRAM
Dual-layer DVD
ethernet
HD-output
it hooks up to a TV or a monitor, and is meant for use in the livingroom, not the study
it includes a remote, wireless control device, and headset for audio/video chat

It comes out in 3 weeks and it's selling for $399. This site would crash with all the posts about "OMFG!!! I'm getting one! This thing is the ROXXXRS!"

Wait until they "really" unveil the 360's power. It will surf the web and check email, play games, have VOIP with video, a wireless keyboard, and let me basically do everything I do on a computer now sans spreadsheet stuff. Oh, and I heard it might have some sweet games too.

Hell, the gfx card alone is worth $400. I paid that much for my X800 Pro, and the R520 is twice as powerful (if not more).

Sdashiki
Nov 3, 2005, 11:26 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Ultimate-package-deal_W0QQitemZ8229148164QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Granted, there are a few extras, but dang...that's a lot of $$$!! :eek:

OMFG how stupid can people be.

A video game system is a gaming computer that DOESNT crash.

So why ever pay more than what you can get for a computer?

$1500 for the ability of 4 peeple to play with 4 wireless controllers on 4 games. I dont think so mang.

xli_ne
Nov 3, 2005, 11:37 AM
Console gaming is only good for Parties.

:rolleyes:

treblah
Nov 3, 2005, 11:48 AM
I had absolutely no interest in the 360 until one fateful day last week when I stumbled onto a demo system at Wal-Mart. After only ~10 minutes of the WW2 game (forgot the name) I was kicking myself for not pre-ordering one.

Luckily, one of my relatives is a manager at a pretty rural Wal-Mart and my Mom managed to snag a PS2 on Black Friday many years ago so I've got my fingers crossed for one on Xmas. ;)

But if that doesn't work out, I wouldn't pay anything over the MSRP. The launch titles are not worth it.

Dagless
Nov 3, 2005, 01:07 PM
OMFG how stupid can people be.

A video game system is a gaming computer that DOESNT crash.

So why ever pay more than what you can get for a computer?

$1500 for the ability of 4 peeple to play with 4 wireless controllers on 4 games. I dont think so mang.

What? video game systems don't crash? look again.

takao
Nov 3, 2005, 02:24 PM
What? video game systems don't crash? look again.

i still remember the fun taking this picture last august during the games convention (and yeah the one the right was frozen ..)
;)
but we saw crashing ps2s as well during those 3 days ;)

shadowmoses
Nov 3, 2005, 03:20 PM
I want one really bad, but I wouldn't pay more than retail for the thing. That's why I preordered. Luckily I found a bundle that actually included all the extras I wanted. That being said, $400 isn't a bad price considering what you get.

If someone told you Apple had a new computer (The Apple iDen, "the computer just left the office") with the following specs:
512 RAM
20 GB HDD
Dual-layer DVD
ethernet
HD-output
it hooks up to a TV or a monitor, and is meant for use in the livingroom, not the study

It comes out in 3 weeks and it's selling for $399. This site would crash with all the posts about "OMFG!!! I'm getting one! This thing is the ROXXXRS!"

Wait until they "really" unveil the 360's power. It will surf the web and check email, play games, have VOIP with video, a wireless keyboard, and let me basically do everything I do on a computer now sans spreadsheet stuff. Oh, and I heard it might have some sweet games too.

Hell, the gfx card alone is worth $400. I paid that much for my X800 Pro, and the R520 is twice as powerful (if not more).

Loving your thinking, just imagine in a year or two when the 360 gets hacked as the xbox did and people are putting linux on that beast of a machine,

Shadow

Lacero
Nov 3, 2005, 03:24 PM
There's word MS is artificially constraining the supply of Xbox consoles on opening day for marketing purposes.

GFLPraxis
Nov 3, 2005, 07:10 PM

512 RAM
20 GB HDD
Dual-layer DVD
ethernet
HD-output

And then the week after it is revealed that those PowerPC's actually are per-MHz slower than a G3 processor, lack 64-bit, have a low amount of cache, and are a huge downgrade from a G5, and we'd have a billion people screaming "APPLE IS STUPID!!!" ;)

TheMonarch
Nov 3, 2005, 07:20 PM
And then the week after it is revealed that those PowerPC's actually are per-MHz slower than a G3 processor, lack 64-bit, have a low amount of cache, and are a huge downgrade from a G5, and we'd have a billion people screaming "APPLE IS STUPID!!!" ;)

And then Sony's PS3 will do the same. With production costs being retardedly high due to all those cores... At least Nintendo has little expectation... Hopefully they slap us in the face with the revolution's real capabilities...

savar
Nov 3, 2005, 07:58 PM
Loving your thinking, just imagine in a year or two when the 360 gets hacked as the xbox did and people are putting linux on that beast of a machine,

Shadow

Its not really viable for general purpose computing. The three cores lack a lot of the "personality" that makes a PPC what we know it as. They are really good for crunching lots of floating point math, but branching logic isn't so hot.

I'm sure linux will get ported eventually, though...its kind of a nerd ritual to port linux to any new platform that comes out.

Edit:
PS. There's also no way Apple would sell at a loss like game console makers always do. Apple's returns to software don't justify it, and Apple doesn't earn the licensing fees that Sony, MS, and Nintendo do.

iDONTdoWINDOWS
Nov 3, 2005, 08:19 PM
Retail price..cuz a couple weeks later it would just be sitting there like my PS2 collecting dust.

getbigg21
Nov 4, 2005, 03:17 PM
see unless you get lucky you won't bet getting a 360 for retail. unless ur waiting in line for hours to get one at target, kmart, walmart, etc.