PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple TV get an iOS 7 makeover?

Risco
Jun 1, 2013, 05:08 PM
Just wondering if it will as I think one is due!

charlituna
Jun 1, 2013, 05:31 PM
Just wondering if it will as I think one is due!

I agree. It's dumb to me why it's not the exact same UI with the same buttons doing the same thing. And then if you pair up a copy of remote you see the UI and can tap, type, move the things you don't use to the bottom etc.

ericp99
Jun 3, 2013, 09:39 PM
That'd be pretty cool.

MattInOz
Jun 4, 2013, 01:03 AM
Yes, and it'll get channelApps as well
(endWishfulThinking)

Risco
Jun 4, 2013, 06:22 PM
I agree. It's dumb to me why it's not the exact same UI with the same buttons doing the same thing. And then if you pair up a copy of remote you see the UI and can tap, type, move the things you don't use to the bottom etc.

If anything I think that any UI makeover would be a preview of iTV. :D

whocaresit
Jun 4, 2013, 06:30 PM
If they force upon us the flatter UI in the Apple TV, it's going straight out the window. :eek:

Parise
Jun 7, 2013, 03:20 PM

Because it costs $99 :)

If it ran full fledged iOS, I'd say it would be around $500.

charlituna
Jun 7, 2013, 03:31 PM
Because it costs $99 :)

If it ran full fledged iOS, I'd say it would be around $500.

I never said full fledged iOS. I said the same icons, functions in those icons etc.

In other words, take iOS and cut out everything not needed by a TV and use the rest. With the same UI. When you click music on an iPad you get your music NOT the store as you do on the Apple TV. That is dumb.

As is making folks to go 'computers' on the Apple TV or 'shared' on the iPad etc for home sharing stuff. It should be on the same list. Everything you have access to together, in order of local, shared on your local net then 'in the cloud'. All streaming or downloaded per your default or tap. If you default to streaming then tapping the name or random play does that so long as you are Internet connected (with you having the power to say any connection or wifi only). If you want to download it you tap the download button etc.

joejoejoe
Jun 7, 2013, 03:48 PM
If they force upon us the flatter UI in the Apple TV, it's going straight out the window. :eek:

comments like this are hilarious to me.

it's not like apple is the government. they're not forcing anything upon you. if you don't like it, don't update the software, that way your neighbors won't have to worry about your apple tv smashing through their window.

further, none of us have even SEEN ios7 yet. for all you know you might love it. all this whining and complaining for something that hasn't even been shown yet is beyond me.

darkknight14
Jun 7, 2013, 05:15 PM
I think its time for a Apple TV UI overhaul. I hope we see something before the year is out

hellomoto4
Jun 8, 2013, 05:01 AM
Hope so. Would love a bit of Helvetica Neue Ultralight in 1080p :D

Prototypical
Jun 8, 2013, 10:30 AM

The existing interface is almost entirely black with white text, with some occasional icons and buttons. You'd ditch the ATV because they stole your bubbly icons? Seriously? :confused:

twintin
Jun 8, 2013, 11:45 AM
Only hing I miss on my ATV is the possibility to play movies from my own NAS.

charlituna
Jun 8, 2013, 02:40 PM
I think its time for a Apple TV UI overhaul. I hope we see something before the year is out

Aside from the issue of the music/movies/TV shows v computer and perhaps more network type apps, I think the real need is hardware. More space for queuing stuff, support for 811 ac etc

Imagine if you could select, by season pass/pre-order to have it download and be waiting for you. On a timer. So at noon when the next ep of whatever hits it downloads and when you get home at 5pm it's ready to go.

THAT is the kind of thing that to me matters more than the buttons.

pwfletcher
Jun 8, 2013, 07:13 PM
Works for me now that I stream movies via Airplay from my nas ... I don't have to worry about being able to jailbreak iOS updates ;-)

mattopotamus
Jun 9, 2013, 06:34 AM
They mainly need to add apps to it. Why the hell I have to airplay to watch HBO is beyond me....just add the stinkin app!

twintin
Jun 9, 2013, 02:17 PM
they mainly need to add apps to it. Why the hell i have to airplay to watch hbo is beyond me....just add the stinkin app!

+1