PDA

View Full Version : importing speed

Camille
Nov 1, 2005, 06:33 PM
hi yall :)
i just wanted to know: on what does the importing speed depend?

mad jew
Nov 1, 2005, 06:38 PM
Do you mean importing tracks from CDs? It then depends on the optical drive speed, the hard drive speed, the CPU, the quality of the CD (scratches), the format you're converting to and the format the songs use on the CD. :)

grapes911
Nov 1, 2005, 06:43 PM
Do you mean importing tracks from CDs? It then depends on the optical drive speed, the hard drive speed, the CPU, the quality of the CD (scratches), the format you're converting to and the format the songs use on the CD. :)
Also the amount of apps you have open. If you are running a lot of programs running and eating all the processor's clock cycles, it can take a long time.

homerjward
Nov 1, 2005, 06:48 PM
it's usually the processor unless you have a really slow drive or are ripping in AIFF/ALC. i have a 40x speed drive on my pc but import cds at around 20-25x into AAC format.

Labi
Nov 2, 2005, 02:31 AM
An if you computer doesn't support USB 2.0 then it will take forever to transfer via USB 1.1.
(that's when you're transfering to your ipod)

russed
Nov 2, 2005, 03:28 AM
also, if you are doing it on a laptop, and are not plugged into the mains (hence putting you onto lower performance) then it imorts far slower than if you are plugged in!

TheMonarch
Nov 2, 2005, 03:36 AM
On my 2002 2.4 P4 Windows PC, I'm able to import at the full 40X speed with windows media player at 128Kbps... Only thing is... I HATE windows media!

I wish iTunes was just as fast... Tops out at 17-20x (Depending on codec) My 1.67 PB is even slower, though I understand that its because laptop drives are slower

Chundles
Nov 2, 2005, 03:39 AM
My iBook normally imports at around 15x, quick enough for me, my old POS PC could only do it at 3x - ergh it used to take ages.

TheMonarch
Nov 2, 2005, 03:43 AM
My iBook normally imports at around 15x, quick enough for me, my old POS PC could only do it at 3x - ergh it used to take ages.

What kind of proc. and drive speed did it have? (<- Your PC)

Chundles
Nov 2, 2005, 03:54 AM
What kind of proc. and drive speed did it have? (<- Your PC)

I bought it 5 years ago, it was a 633MHz Celeron. Total POS except when I bumped the RAM up to 256MB and put Xp on it - then it ran fairly well. I put in a 52x32x52 Samsung CD burner. There was a 15GB HDD in there, I presume 7200rpm although I can't remember - it did write to the drive quite a bit faster than my iBook so I presume it was 7200.

The only thing that PC had going for it was it was in a little tower - the pre-cursor to shuttle PC's it had room for just one optical drive, one Hard drive and you had to take out the floppy disk and part of the metal frame to put in more RAM. That little case made it really easy to take it down to the repair shop, I could just carry it under one arm, for a while...then swap....then two arms....then two arms with a break for a few minutes...then two arms with a fair bit of sweat and sore upper arms. It felt so good to drop it down on the repair desk when i got there

It's now up in my old room at my parent's place just sitting on the floor. One of my sisters may inherit it next year when they go off to uni but I'm trying to get them over to the Mac - they are very susceptible to looks so they love the Macs.

My iBook was like night and day compared to my PC, burning speeds are slower but I can live with that, going from a 52x burn with no veryfying to a 24x burn + veryfying is a bit of a jump down but meh, I'll live.

Darwin
Nov 2, 2005, 05:41 AM

Thats around the speed that I get with my PowerBook

Proccessor and CD drive speed are key

eXan
Nov 2, 2005, 06:04 AM
My eMac encodes CD -> 160 KBPS AAC at 5-6.7x speed :D

russed
Nov 2, 2005, 06:06 AM
i can get about 12x on my powerbook when its plugged in with the latest version of itunes (it was about 10x before!) and not plugged in i get about 8x (6x before)

Chundles
Nov 2, 2005, 06:25 AM
160kbps mp3:

Peaked at 16.2x, average about 14x

160kbps AAC

Peaked at 15.3x, averaged around 13x

Not bad, I've seen better but it is very warm tonight.

mad jew
Nov 2, 2005, 07:13 AM
iMac G5 converts to 160kbps at about 25x average, iBook G4 at 9x or so. :)

eXan
Nov 2, 2005, 04:47 PM
iMac G5 converts to 160kbps at about 25x average, iBook G4 at 9x or so. :)

Which iMac G5 do you have?

mad jew
Nov 2, 2005, 04:56 PM
The last generation 17 inch 1.8GHz machine with processor set to highest. :)

I've actually seen it peak at about 46x.

eXan
Nov 3, 2005, 05:27 AM
The last generation 17 inch 1.8GHz machine with processor set to highest. :)

I've actually seen it peak at about 46x.

Wow!

I guess that my 2 ghz iMac will be even better! (urgh... still waiting for it to arrive:mad: )

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 05:29 AM
Wow!

I guess that my 2 ghz iMac will be even better! (urgh... still waiting for it to arrive:mad: )

Yeah, these G5s are brilliant at CPU-intensive stuff. :)

eXan
Nov 3, 2005, 05:33 AM
Yeah, these G5s are brilliant at CPU-intensive stuff. :)

Stop teasing me! :D ;) :)

When? When?? WHEN??? :mad: stupid long distances!!!

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 05:35 AM
Sorry. :D

But I have a G4 iBook (800MHz) that is probably comparable to your eMac and can pretty safely say the difference is worth it. Just remember to crank the processor speed up to Highest as soon as you get it. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later. :)

eXan
Nov 3, 2005, 05:44 AM
Just remember to crank the processor speed up to Highest as soon as you get it.

You bet it'll be the 1st thing I'll do when I get it.

Does the noise level differs much when on Highest (compared to Auto)? Don't get me wrong, I can even forget about the noise my eMac makes (pretty loud), so I'm just curious and surely will not sacrifice performance for a little quieter operation

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 05:46 AM
I've read mixed reports but since I listen to music all the time, I don't really notice any significant increase in fan noise. Some people had trouble with the originals (Rev A) but I think Apple have well and truly fixed that. In general, my iMac's pretty silent. :)

eXan
Nov 3, 2005, 05:59 AM

viperguy
Nov 3, 2005, 06:05 AM
8x I think.
Don't have USB 2.0 :(

eXan
Nov 3, 2005, 06:16 AM
Don't have USB 2.0 :(

Me too :mad:

But thats just for now :D