PDA

View Full Version : Ok... here are the categories...

arn
Nov 1, 2005, 06:49 PM
* Apple Computer
** Apple Events
** Apple CEOs
* Apple Software
** Mac OS X
* Apple Hardware
** Mac Desktops
** Mac Laptops
** Mac Servers
** iPods
* Companies
* Hardware
** Graphics Cards
* iPods
* Software

Simple, short. few main categories (we can of course have as many subcats as needed), and I think everything will fall under these. I think these make sense for Mac owners to navigate down the categories.

Any major objections, questions?

I do think a Topic-based approach would be good too, but we need at least on cohesive set of categories first.

So TOP LEVEL categories are as follows:

* Apple Computer
* Apple Software
* Apple Hardware
* Companies
* Hardware
* Software

arn

aspro
Nov 1, 2005, 06:53 PM
Companies refers to companies that make products for macintosh? Like Aspyr or Microsoft?

arn
Nov 1, 2005, 07:00 PM
Companies refers to companies that make products for macintosh? Like Aspyr or Microsoft?

Ya, wasn't a huge fan of the word "Companies" but ya... any company large enough to have a page or grouping of pages.

Seems like Adobe, IBM, Motorola and Microsoft have pages/interest. Better suggestion for name? Or how to deal with random companies?

The approach here was to take it from a Mac-user's perspective drilling down into logical categories. Again, we can do a problem/topic based approach too... but that doesn't preclude this method.

arn

aspro
Nov 1, 2005, 07:03 PM
Perhaps something like Third Party Providers, Related Organisations or something, because then you could put open source (and other non-company) groups like Mozillla could come under that heading aswell.

edit: clarified a little

Mechcozmo
Nov 1, 2005, 07:09 PM
Seems like Adobe, IBM, Motorola and Microsoft have pages/interest. Better suggestion for name? Or how to deal with random companies?

Corperations?

Or how about
Main: 3rd Party Providers
Sub:
3rd Party Software Providers
3rd Party Hardware Providers

aspro
Nov 1, 2005, 07:14 PM
Corperations?

Or how about
Main: 3rd Party Providers
Sub:
3rd Party Software Providers
3rd Party Hardware Providers

That seems more logical to me atleast.

arn
Nov 1, 2005, 08:00 PM
Ok.... hopefully I didn't step on anyones toes.... but the categories were a mess.

I organized them as above and eliminated as many redundancies as possible in the current form.

Most of the time an article should NOT be listed under a category AND a subcategory of that category. It just doesn't make sense most of the time. There's a reason it was subcategorized. At least that's my impression on it.

Browse around, tell me what you think.

arn

arn
Nov 1, 2005, 08:05 PM
My impression when going through was that people have made too many subcategories.

For example... Do we need Apple CEO's yet? We only have two CEO's. They could go under Apple, Inc. (I left it for now, since we should put more CEOs in place).

Or, we only have WWDC listed under Apple Events. That could also go under Apple, Inc until the time comes when we have enough.

I think we should stay broad until there are enough items to push us to enter it into a subcategory.

arn

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 07:55 AM
everyone happy with the categories?

If you want, we can talk about a Topic based heirarchy that can exist as well alongside this more traditional category system.

arn

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 08:32 AM
I just removed [[Category:Apple Hardware]] tag from the IBook article.

In my mind, it makes little sense to add IBook under both Mac Laptops and Apple Hardware, when Mac Laptops is already a subcategory of Apple Hardware.

Otherwise, there is no point in making subcategories if everything is also going to be in the parent category.

My impression is that subcategories should be made when enough common items exist in a category. And then they should be moved (not copied) to the subcategory directory.

arn

dcv
Nov 2, 2005, 08:33 AM
The guides are coming along rather nicely I think! :)

Have to say I'm not a fan of the "Companies" category though. I agree with earlier posts about using something like "Third Parties", or "Related Companies".

i.e. on the left you'd have all the Apple categories (these look fine)

then on the right you'd have:

Third Parties
Third Party Hardware
Third Party Software

... just to emphasise the fact that the current 'Hardware' and 'Software' categories should be used for non-Apple stuff.

dcv
Nov 2, 2005, 08:39 AM
Sorry, another comment...

I know some people object to the word 'laptop'... perhaps we should rename the sub-category as Mac Notebooks or Mac Portables rather than Mac Laptops?

Just checked apple.com and they use the word 'Portables'.

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=dietcokevanilla]Have to say I'm not a fan of the "Companies" category though. I agree with earlier posts about using something like "Third Parties", or "Related Companies".

i.e. on the left you'd have all the Apple categories (these look fine)

then on the right you'd have:

Third Parties
Third Party Hardware
Third Party Software
[QUOTE]

Yeah, not a huge fan of companies but also not a huge fan of "Third Party xyz" either.

arn

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 08:52 AM
Sorry, another comment...

I know some people object to the word 'laptop'... perhaps we should rename the sub-category as Mac Notebooks or Mac Portables rather than Mac Laptops?

Just checked apple.com and they use the word 'Portables'.

I'm fine with Portables. also leaves it open for other portables in the future I suppose.

arn

grapes911
Nov 2, 2005, 08:55 AM
I'm fine with Portables. also leaves it open for other portables in the future I suppose.

arn
Will people start putting iPods into the Portables category then? Or an I not giving people as much credit as they deserve?

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 09:05 AM
Will people start putting iPods into the Portables category then? Or an I not giving people as much credit as they deserve?

heh.... not sure. Also I don't think the Newton should go into Portables either. :)

arn

dcv
Nov 2, 2005, 09:24 AM

Well not if it's labelled 'Mac Portables' to go alongside 'Mac Desktops' and 'Mac Servers'.

On the Apple site (hardware page) they list iPod, iSight and Airport Express/Extreme under the category of 'Digital Life'.

It might be an idea to follow suit with the Mac Guides categories... though personally I'd be looking for iPod under a more main (i.e. separate) 'iPod' category. Could bundle the iSight/Airports together under 'Digital Life' though. Or just call these 'Mac Peripherals'.

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 09:35 AM
It might be an idea to follow suit with the Mac Guides categories... though personally I'd be looking for iPod under a more main (i.e. separate) 'iPod' category. Could bundle the iSight/Airports together under 'Digital Life' though. Or just call these 'Mac Peripherals'.

I think "Digital Life" could fall under our secondary but parallel category system.. that's more topical.

We have another set of categories entirely where things are categorized in a more topical manner:

Digital Life
- Audio
- Video
- Photos
- Internet
- Business

Traditional Categories
- Apple, Inc.
- Apple Hardware
- Apple Software
etc...

The digital life would be more total solution type categories.

arn

mainstreetmark
Nov 2, 2005, 10:52 AM
Do we have a top level category for actual guides? "Repairing permissions", "Clearing Cache files"?

Let me propose a heirarchy (or should this be done on the wiki project page?)

Guides
* Networking Guides
** [[Networking with a Windows lan]]
** [[Sharing files and folders on the LAN]]
** [[Setting up an ad-hoc wireless LAN]]
* System Maintenance Guides
* Installation/Removal Guides

(I'm suffixing the Guide subcategories with "Guide" to prevent "Networking" from interferring with Networking hardware or software)

(I'm also following Arn's suggestion of avoiding article names of "How to network with windows", as that would lump everything under "H" in the index).

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 11:09 AM
Do we have a top level category for actual guides? "Repairing permissions", "Clearing Cache files"?

I think those would end up in the Topical Category listings. Maybe I'm not being clear but here's how I see it being in the end

* Traditional Categories
** Apple, Inc.
** Apple Hardware
*** Apple Desktops
*** Apple Portables
*** IPods
** Apple Services
** Apple Software
** Companies
** Hardware
** Software
* Topical Categories
** Audio and Music
** Internet and Networking
*** [[Networking with a Windows lan]]
*** [[Sharing files and folders on the LAN]]
** Video
*** IPod (5G)
*** iMovie
** Photos
*** iPhoto
*** Adobe Photoshop

Hmm... maybe they do need Guides or some other delimination

arn

mainstreetmark
Nov 2, 2005, 11:21 AM
Are you suggesting "Traditional Categories" and "Topical Categories" be actual categories, or just a kind of hierarchy that we'll follow? I don't think "Traditional Categories" is a very useful category name to have in the wiki.

Secondly, the (topical) "Internet & Networking" category (for example), will that contain both guides to networking, as well as software, like Safari, and hardware, like a 56k modem? And if not, then Safari would be in (traditional) Software->Internet & Networking Software->Safari, the modem would go in Hardware->Internet & Networking Hardware->Apple 56k Modem, and the guide would go in [Guides?]->Internet & Networking Guides->Networking with Windows?

I'm trying to nail down specific hierarchal paths, still. I don't know that mixing hardware, software, and guides all in a subcategory is all that useful. I would imagine a user who is looking for networking help wouldn't necessarily want to wade through internet software and hardware (and likewise, a person after new internet software may not want to see all the dozens and dozens of guides)

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 12:21 PM
Are you suggesting "Traditional Categories" and "Topical Categories" be actual categories, or just a kind of hierarchy that we'll follow? I don't think "Traditional Categories" is a very useful category name to have in the wiki.

Secondly, the (topical) "Internet & Networking" category (for example), will that contain both guides to networking, as well as software, like Safari, and hardware, like a 56k modem? And if not, then Safari would be in (traditional) Software->Internet & Networking Software->Safari, the modem would go in Hardware->Internet & Networking Hardware->Apple 56k Modem, and the guide would go in [Guides?]->Internet & Networking Guides->Networking with Windows?

I'm trying to nail down specific hierarchal paths, still. I don't know that mixing hardware, software, and guides all in a subcategory is all that useful. I would imagine a user who is looking for networking help wouldn't necessarily want to wade through internet software and hardware (and likewise, a person after new internet software may not want to see all the dozens and dozens of guides)

I don't think those would necessary be the names, but they could be. I do think they would be actual categories in that they could hold the rest of the categories. I think it would mostly be transparent to the end user. The front page might have a list of the traditional categories on the left column and the topic or guide categories on the right side. and people could drill down whatever interests them.

As for the mixing... well, they are presently being mixed in the regular categories up right now. but it doesn't have to be. I suppose guides could be seperated into this other category tree.

arn

LimeiBook86
Nov 2, 2005, 04:53 PM
Where do you think I should put 'PowerCD', Apple's CD player/CD-ROM drive and 'Apple QuickTake', Apple's digital camera. I'd love to make pages for these items but, I need to know which category to put them in, and also I need to know how to make a new item (new items that is). Like add a new PowerCD page the Apple Hardware category ect...

Thanks! :D
-Limey

Guides are look'in great! ;)

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 05:10 PM
Where do you think I should put 'PowerCD', Apple's CD player/CD-ROM drive and 'Apple QuickTake', Apple's digital camera. I'd love to make pages for these items but, I need to know which category to put them in, and also I need to know how to make a new item (new items that is). Like add a new PowerCD page the Apple Hardware category ect...

Thanks! :D
-Limey

Guides are look'in great! ;)

Just place [[Category:Cat_Name]]

Those would go under [[Category:Apple Hardware]]

arn

LimeiBook86
Nov 2, 2005, 05:11 PM
Just place [[Category:Cat_Name]]

Those would go under [[Category:Apple Hardware]]

arn

Awesome, thanks for the help :)

arn
Nov 2, 2005, 05:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help :)

once enough are up, we could subcat them into something Discontinued or Historical or Collectables or something...

arn

arn
Nov 3, 2005, 09:09 AM
should there be a category for Terminology?

control-click for example?

arn

SilentPanda
Nov 3, 2005, 09:26 AM
Should there be a category for MacRumors lore/trivia/help?