PDA

View Full Version : Fix Slow Shutdown in OS X 10.8-10.9

53kyle
Jun 2, 2013, 12:48 AM
I threw together an app that should fix 20-30 second shutdown times. Feedback is appreciated, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54k6yodqgdfp1i6/OS%20X%20Shutdown%20Fix.dmg

Tip: also disable internet sharing, that slows down shutdown time a lot.

IMPORTANT: go to system preferences > security & privacy > turn on downloads from anywhere

ALSO IMPORTANT: If you want to re-apply this on your computer or change the speed, you must first click on the "Default" button, then click on your desired speed.

ALSO IMPORTANT TOO: This is really only compatible with OS X 10.8-10.8.5 Mountain Lion. I will still try again to find out how to fix mavericks, but as of now there is nothing for it.

UPDATE 6/11: Download the new version using the above link. It takes longer but it will at least work now and may speed up your entire system!

UPDATE 7/4: Download version 1.2 using the link above. There is a new button for if you decide that you want to wait to shut down your mac :p

UPDATE 10/5: Download version 1.3 using the link above. New features:
- New option for slightly slower speed in case you have a stray application running, thanks to "Risco"
- MUCH faster, thanks to "mag01" for suggesting different terminal commands, and no more hanging!
- Compatible with OS X 10.8.5

SR45
Jun 2, 2013, 01:28 PM
I use the method below for a faster 3 to 4 second shutdown. Before anyone downloads your app, why don't you tell us a little bit about it first. (Should) in your post is some what iffy and needs clarification. What have you experienced ?

Type these commands into the terminal window one by one, and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utility.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

53kyle
Jun 2, 2013, 02:04 PM
I use the method below for a faster 3 to 4 second shutdown. Before anyone downloads your app, why don't you tell us a little bit about it first. (Should) in your post is some what iffy and needs clarification. What have you experienced ?

Type these commands into the terminal window one by one, and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utility.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

I just automated that for some experience in xcode programming and to make it easy for people who are uncomfortable with terminal.

Krazy Bill
Jun 2, 2013, 02:21 PM
Does your app give the user the option to "undo" and revert your changes?

Walter White
Jun 2, 2013, 02:27 PM
Does your app give the user the option to "undo" and revert your changes?

Just open the script and change numbers back to the defaults.

SR45
Jun 2, 2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks OP. ;) :D

benwiggy
Jun 2, 2013, 04:14 PM
and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utility.
Please explain what effect repair permissions (or not repairing permissions) will have?

SR45
Jun 2, 2013, 05:52 PM
Please explain what effect repair permissions (or not repairing permissions) will have?

First time I tried the shutdown fix that was posted above by another member, I did not use the repair permission, and the shutdown fix did not work. Unknown why....Doing it again with the repair permission, and it did work. At least for me I needed the repair permission first. Others will weigh in on their personal experience. ;)

53kyle
Jun 2, 2013, 07:24 PM
I am about to upload a version that will automatically repair disk permissions after finishing (maybe)

benwiggy
Jun 3, 2013, 02:37 AM
First time I tried the shutdown fix that was posted above by another member, I did not use the repair permission, and the shutdown fix did not work. Unknown why....Doing it again with the repair permission, and it did work.
I am about to upload a version that will automatically repair disk permissions after finishing (maybe)
Repair Permissions is not some universal panacea for all problems. It restores SOME Apple System files to the values help in lists in the /Library/Receipts folder. Almost EVERY file is unlikely to have its permissions changed since installed, unless deliberate action has been taken by the user.
The RP process reports confusing error messages EVERY TIME it is run.

All those Terminal commands do is to alter the parameters of already running processes. How can "repairing" the permissions of processes that are already running affect their ability to take up the new settings?

Most reports of "I ran RP, then it worked" are likely to be coincidental.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

53kyle
Jun 3, 2013, 03:09 AM
Repair Permissions is not some universal panacea for all problems. It restores SOME Apple System files to the values help in lists in the /Library/Receipts folder. Almost EVERY file is unlikely to have its permissions changed since installed, unless deliberate action has been taken by the user.

All those Terminal commands do is to alter the parameters of already running processes. How can "repairing" the permissions of processes that are already running affect their ability to take up the new settings?

All I know is that when I first ran the terminal commands it was fast for one time and then after reading about repairing permissions I tried it and it worked

benwiggy
Jun 3, 2013, 03:21 AM
All I know is that when I first ran the terminal commands it was fast for one time and then after reading about repairing permissions I tried it and it worked
All I know is that I had an argument with my neighbour and then my cow died. The two things must be connected, right? Because one happened after the other one. She must be a witch! :D

But seriously, so it worked "one time"? And then it stopped working? And then RP "fixed" it? I guarantee you that RP had nothing to do with it.

Sorry to hammer this point home, but I see "Have you tried repairing permissions?" everywhere and it is severely over-rated. It was originally included because Classic OS9 mode didn't respect Unix permissions, so things could get out of hand. But that was back in the day.

53kyle
Jun 3, 2013, 03:24 AM
The new version is ready and uploaded and will work better than the first one! If the old version didn't work, try this one :)

justperry
Jun 3, 2013, 04:30 AM
Have to agree with Benwiggy here, the commands SR45 gave includes sudo and no file permissions changing command like chown/chmod, this means the permissions on that file will not change.
No need to Repair Permissions.

53kyle
Jun 3, 2013, 11:15 AM
Have to agree with Benwiggy here, the commands SR45 gave includes sudo and no file permissions changing command like chown/chmod, this means the permissions on that file will not change.
No need to Repair Permissions.

Once again, I wouldn't even bother repairing permissions if it wasn't worth it. Repairing permissions, even if it isn't related to the commands, could clear up some other problems that stall shutdown.

justperry
Jun 3, 2013, 11:42 AM
Once again, I wouldn't even bother repairing permissions if it wasn't worth it. Repairing permissions, even if it isn't related to the commands, could clear up some other problems that stall shutdown.

Have to disagree, when you use the sudo together with the commands above it won't change anything.
I never ever had any problem with permissions except for the ones I changed myself, permissions don't rust as Benwiggy says nicely.

Maybe you should read the following link.

Five Mac maintenance myths (http://www.macworld.com/article/1133684/maintenance_intro.html)

But I will quote a part of it:

Myth #1: “You should repair permissions regularly.”
OS X’s permissions determine the access each user has to each item on a hard drive. If certain files have the wrong permissions, you can experience problems. So you’ll commonly hear that you need to use Disk Utility’s Repair Disk Permissions feature on your startup drive as a routine maintenance procedure.

But contrary to popular belief, repairing permissions—a procedure which simply resets permissions to a known state—works only on a particular subset of OS X system files. It doesn’t affect user files, nor does it affect third-party files or programs. In other words, it’s unlikely that regularly repairing permissions will prevent problems.

If you ever do have a problem with system-level permissions, your Mac will likely behave oddly, and you’ll usually be able to use the Repair Disk Permissions function then to fix the problem without any data loss or long-term effects. So I recommend repairing permissions as a troubleshooting tool rather than a maintenance task. For a comprehensive look at this topic, see Repairing Permissions: What you need to know.

HenryAZ
Jun 5, 2013, 10:14 AM

In general I agree with this. The few times I run RP (from a recovery partition), I see at most one or two files changed. So, I don't usually run RP, unless I suspect something might be wrong with permissions.

I just applied the 5 terminal commands mentioned above by SR45. What I should have done (in light of this discussion) but failed to do, was note permissions before doing this.

I wouldn't even have thought to check afterwards, except I started receiving a new error on startup
launchctl: no plist was returned for: /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication.plist
and of course this was one of the files that was altered, so I did go check. Doing a directory listing (ls -al) of /System/Library/LaunchAgents showed that the file in question had a permission mode of 600, while every other file in the directory was 644.

Since the other four files involved were in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, I checked there as well. Those four files were 600, while every other file was 644.

As I said, I failed to note the permissions beforehand, but so far this strongly points to something having changed permission-wise with those five files. So, I did run RP (again from a recovery partition). Sure enough, in addition to one odd other file, the only files that whose permissions were repaired were those five, and they went from 600 to 644.

And the error in Console went away.

Go figure. I would not think those commands would change permissions in addition to altering the shutdown timer, but they apparently did.

53kyle
Jun 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
OS X Mavericks doesn't fix the slow shutdown but I am pretty sure my app or the terminal commands still work.

fhall1
Jun 12, 2013, 06:18 AM
Just open the script and change numbers back to the defaults.

How do you know what the defaults were/are?

benwiggy
Jun 12, 2013, 07:01 AM
How do you know what the defaults were/are?
There was no such key before it was written: you need to do a defaults delete on that parameter, and the system will use the default of 20 seconds.

Mirumoto
Jul 4, 2013, 07:18 AM
Hi guys,

First of all thanks for the script, it does reduce the shutdown time.

However I would like to try once again to identify the problem, can you please tell me which command to type to remove the exit timeout values?

I would like to remove the parameters the script put in place.

Thanks !

53kyle
Jul 4, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hi guys,

First of all thanks for the script, it does reduce the shutdown time.

However I would like to try once again to identify the problem, can you please tell me which command to type to remove the exit timeout values?

I would like to remove the parameters the script put in place.

Thanks !

I have updated the app to have a revert option, but here is the command:

sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut

Mirumoto
Jul 5, 2013, 02:30 AM
Well that is just great :)

Thanks a lot!

3rd Rock
Jul 5, 2013, 05:14 AM
Thank you 53Kyle. Works. Thank you for your efforts. Now wish Apple would take some time to do same :D

ultraspiracle
Jul 6, 2013, 01:31 AM
Shutdown issue seems to be fixed - I'm not kidding. Please note that with the small exception of one year, Apple's fix for this issue came ahead of schedule.

metamatic
Jul 6, 2013, 04:14 AM
Thanks for your efforts, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
I'm on a Retina MBPro with 10.8.4 and it still takes about 20 seconds to shutdown.

3rd Rock
Jul 6, 2013, 05:15 AM
Shutdown issue seems to be fixed - I'm not kidding. Please note that with the small exception of one year, Apple's fix for this issue came ahead of schedule.

Just to be clear, are you saying the 10.8.5 beta fixed the shut down issue or did the OP's app fix it ? Thanks

Ddyracer
Jul 6, 2013, 07:11 AM

What about booting up and waking from sleep and login? is that faster too?

53kyle
Jul 6, 2013, 03:23 PM
What about booting up and waking from sleep and login? is that faster too?

From what I have experienced, and at least in my case, my MBP logged in really slowly on mountain lion but in mavericks it is much faster now. Waking from sleep is instant now too. I assume 10.8.5 is like that too.

ultraspiracle
Jul 6, 2013, 10:47 PM
Booting is just as fast in 10.8.5. Waking from sleep is not a problem on machines I've seen, but what I have noticed is that it takes longer for 10.8.5 to turn on an external display after waking from sleep than 10.8.4. Mavericks 10.9 beta2 is exactly the same in this regard...

Maybe they use the same graphics drivers for Nvidia 650?

Overall, no complains about 10.8.5 beta2. But Mavericks will be awesome once the bugs are sorted. I'm actually considering using Safari as the default browser, if only there was a really foolproof way to sync bookmarks between it and Chrome.

ultraspiracle
Jul 12, 2013, 01:12 PM
10.8.5 12f20 is just as bad as the first beta, which makes me think it was something unique to the system under examination. Sorry fellas. Let's carry on with the investigation. I'm doing a ton of troubleshooting with per user and app settings and will post the results here (and I'll have someone file a bug report - which will probably be closed as a duplicate.):mad:

ZBoater
Jul 17, 2013, 09:59 AM
I threw together an app that should fix 20-30 second shutdown times. Feedback is appreciated, here it is:

Important: go to system preferences > security & privacy > turn on downloads from anywhere

Tip: also disable internet sharing, that slows down shutdown time a lot.

UPDATE 6/11: Download the new version using the above link. It takes longer but it will at least work now and may speed up your entire system!

UPDATE 7/4: Download version 1.2 using the link above. There is a new button for if you decide that you want to wait to shut down your mac :p

Thank you. I ran this on my 2013 MBA with OS X 10.8.4 and it worked. I was getting 20-30 second shutdowns, and now it is less than 5.

A couple of comments,

When I ran the app, the progress bar hung about 75% of the way through, and I thought it had locked up. I was patient and it completed, but I was worried there for a minute.

After it was done, the app did not close. I think it tried to do a reboot of my machine but it failed. I had to force quit it and reboot manually. That first shutdown was long, so I was thinking the app had failed.

After I restarted, I repaired and verified the disk. Just in case.

From then on out, the shut down is quick (I use the CleanShutdown little app).

Thank you.

larry918
Jul 17, 2013, 07:27 PM
OP, you are amazing! I was having 30+ sec shutdowns before, now I can shut down in less than 3 seconds :D Thank you so much :)

crjackson2134
Jul 18, 2013, 01:53 AM
Okay, I like to be very cautious about modifying OS system defaults so could you answer a question for me?

Are there any circumstances where your final solution would cause problems (i.e. data corruption)? For instance, I have an operation running in the background that's performing disk I/O, and I forget about it and click shutdown. I know this could potentially cause problems regardless of settings, but would it be a substantially greater risk if using this fast shutdown solution?

As a side note, I have similar slow shutdown issues running under Linux on various machines and I also wrote a modified shutdown script for near instant shutdowns and it works very well there.

My current 10.8.4. Shutdowns take 11 seconds. I don't really have a need to enhance from there, but 3 seconds would be much snappier.

53kyle
Jul 18, 2013, 02:31 PM
Okay, I like to be very cautious about modifying OS system defaults so could you answer a question for me?

Are there any circumstances where your final solution would cause problems (i.e. data corruption)? For instance, I have an operation running in the background that's performing disk I/O, and I forget about it and click shutdown. I know this could potentially cause problems regardless of settings, but would it be a substantially greater risk if using this fast shutdown solution?

As a side note, I have similar slow shutdown issues running under Linux on various machines and I also wrote a modified shutdown script for near instant shutdowns and it works very well there.

My current 10.8.4. Shutdowns take 11 seconds. I don't really have a need to enhance from there, but 3 seconds would be much snappier.

The commands that speed up the shutdown only terminate the same processes that already would have been after the normal 20 seconds, so there won't be any problems :)

crjackson2134
Jul 18, 2013, 10:08 PM
The commands that speed up the shutdown only terminate the same processes that already would have been after the normal 20 seconds, so there won't be any problems :)

Okay, thanks for the info"

Ddyracer
Jul 25, 2013, 01:06 PM
your little app seems to hang, i can't get it to work, have to force quit it every time.

53kyle
Jul 25, 2013, 04:33 PM
your little app seems to hang, i can't get it to work, have to force quit it every time.

Sorry, I will add that to the OP, it does hang but there is nothing wrong, it is just repairing permissions which will take a LONG time :p

Ddyracer
Jul 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
Sorry, I will add that to the OP, it does hang but there is nothing wrong, it is just repairing permissions which will take a LONG time :p

All right i'll try it again.

silverf1re
Jul 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
this is awesome thanks op

iRezaa
Sep 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
You rock! Thanks a million :)

Mike MA
Sep 15, 2013, 10:42 AM
I threw together an app that should fix 20-30 second shutdown times.

I use the method below for a faster 3 to 4 second shutdown

I was heavily involved in this topic from November last year until April/May this year including providing logs to Apple after been asked for. After some disappointing ML updates (basically 10.8.1 - 10.8.3 if I remember correctly) and no improvements at all I decided to just don't care anymore.

But from 10.8.4 on the slow shutdowns are gone for what reason ever and my SSD Macbook Air returned to approximately 1,0 - 1,5 seconds with applications closed beforehand.

So my basic question here, is the issue still around? On my wife's laptop it also disappeared. One difference might be that we changed the router and now use Apple's Time Capsule, which might be the cause as most pending processes during the slow shutdown were network related.

AeroZ
Sep 22, 2013, 12:15 PM
I still got the problem with 10.8.5 and 2012 cMBP.

ABC5S
Sep 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
I still got the problem with 10.8.5 and 2012 cMBP.

Now we wait for 10.9

Risco
Sep 22, 2013, 04:31 PM
Shutdown is certainly pretty instant now on my SSD! I am a little concerned that it is too quick! Could you add options for fast, medium and default? I would be more comfortable that the OS has completed all tasks with a slightly slower shutdown.

mag01
Sep 22, 2013, 05:52 PM
"defaults" will change permissions of altered plist files to 600 (and will also change ownership to root if executed as root and the plist file isn't owned by root) which is undesirable in these cases (some system plist files with such permissions will "break" the OS a little).

It's better to use "PlistBuddy":

- adding the ExitTimeOut entry and setting it to 2s:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :ExitTimeOut integer 2" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

- setting the already existing ExitTimeOut entry to 2s:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :ExitTimeOut 2" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

- deleting the ExitTimeOut entry:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :ExitTimeOut" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

So when doing it this way, no "repair permissions" task should need to be performed afterwards.

Risco
Sep 23, 2013, 12:55 PM
"defaults" will change permissions of altered plist files to 600 (and will also change ownership to root if executed as root and the plist file isn't owned by root) which is undesirable in these cases (some system plist files with such permissions will "break" the OS a little).

It's better to use "PlistBuddy":

- adding the ExitTimeOut entry and setting it to 2s:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :ExitTimeOut integer 2" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

- setting the already existing ExitTimeOut entry to 2s:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :ExitTimeOut 2" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

- deleting the ExitTimeOut entry:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :ExitTimeOut" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

So when doing it this way, no "repair permissions" task should need to be performed afterwards.

Ok well how do I set these back to defaults?

mag01
Sep 23, 2013, 02:37 PM
To return to default state just use the last (Delete) command to delete the ExitTimeOut entry - it doesn't exist by default (which means the time out is effectively 20s).

Risco
Sep 23, 2013, 02:47 PM
To return to default state just use the last (Delete) command to delete the ExitTimeOut entry - it doesn't exist by default (which means the time out is effectively 20s).

Sorry I should clarify, how do I rest the permissions after running the app at the beginning of the thread?

mag01
Sep 23, 2013, 03:38 PM
Repair permissions task should be one option, but it's quite lengthy.

Quick fix is to look at the other system plist files located in the same directories (/System/Library/LaunchAgents/ and /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/) and set those you modified to the same permissions (and perhaps ownership - but that might not be needed).
For example terminal command "stat" could be your friend to check ownership and permissions. Or simple "ls".
stat will display permissions in numeric/symbolic format, ls in symbolic.

stat -x /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.pbs.plist
ls -l /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.pbs.plist

And you'll most likely get:
0644/-rw--r--r-- - permissions
root wheel - ownership

So then set permissions (and ownership if needed) of those altered plist files to the same:

sudo chmod 0644 /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist
(or symbolic alternative: sudo chmod u=rw,go=r /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist)
sudo chown root:wheel /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd.plist

(I wrote a little longer description in attempt to explain things a little so that you can perhaps learn something useful from it ;-) )

GabeG
Oct 5, 2013, 04:04 PM
Success, thanks for this great app. From 12 sec shutdown time went down to 3 sec. :)

53kyle
Oct 6, 2013, 01:24 AM
1.3 is out :)
UPDATE 10/5: Download version 1.3 using the link above. New features:
- New option for slightly slower speed in case you have a stray application running, thanks to "Risco"
- MUCH faster, thanks to "mag01" for suggesting different terminal commands, and no more hanging!
- Compatible with OS X 10.8.5 and 10.9 GM

lieflayer
Oct 9, 2013, 02:19 PM
1.3 is out :)

don't work always only few times.
I think that if the old versions worked this version does not work.
Has only increased the possibility that a little off is instantaneous. but most of the time you have to wait 20 seconds
thanks for the effort. I wait for the next version

xjq194949
Oct 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
No luck here though.

Looked through system console. Here is what I find,

10/13/13 12:47:28.067 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ShareKitHelper[257]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 12:47:28.069 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.internetaccounts[225]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 12:47:28.071 AM TextExpander[233]: Noticed that Helper app has terminated -- re-launching
10/13/13 12:47:28.080 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[161]: (com.apple.iTunesHelper.64272[221]) Exited with code: 1
10/13/13 12:47:28.081 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[161]: (com.google.android.mtpagent.114080[238]) Exited: Terminated: 15
10/13/13 12:47:28.084 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[161]: (com.apple.gamed[198]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 12:47:28.084 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[161]: ([0x0-0x2c02c].com.apple.AppleSpell[325]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 12:47:28.104 AM TextExpander[233]: bye
10/13/13 12:47:38.099 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[ApplicationManager quitPrivateProcesses] | Private process did not quit
10/13/13 12:47:38.152 AM sessionlogoutd[399]: sessionlogoutd Launched
10/13/13 12:47:38.159 AM sessionlogoutd[399]: DEAD_PROCESS: 60 console
10/13/13 12:47:38.193 AM airportd[81]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “Goodday”. Bailing on auto-join.
10/13/13 12:47:38.267 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[Application hardKill:] | Application hardKill returned -600
10/13/13 12:47:38.268 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[Application hardKill:] | Application hardKill returned -600
10/13/13 12:47:38.269 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[Application hardKill:] | Application hardKill returned -600
10/13/13 12:47:38.300 AM shutdown[400]: halt by _spotlight:
10/13/13 12:47:38.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext loading now disabled.
10/13/13 12:47:38.300 AM shutdown[400]: SHUTDOWN_TIME: 1381596458 300327
10/13/13 12:47:38.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext unloading now disabled.
10/13/13 12:47:38.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext autounloading now disabled.
10/13/13 12:47:38.000 AM kernel[0]: Kernel requests now disabled.

I gave the shutdown command at 28 exactly.
So at first everything went smoothly.
And there was a sudden 10 sec gap which I can't explain.
System(and me obviously) waited 10 whole secs for "Private process" to quit which did not after all.

Any idea what these "Private process" are? And/Or how can I fix my problem?

53kyle
Oct 13, 2013, 12:59 AM
Any idea what these "Private process" are? And/Or how can I fix my problem?

How about "TextExpander"? The logs say that when the helper app quit, it relaunched. After that is says "bye," probably meaning it quit, but still, try quitting that before shutting down (assuming this is your process and you know what it is) and it might fix your problem.

xjq194949
Oct 13, 2013, 01:45 AM
How about "TextExpander"? The logs say that when the helper app quit, it relaunched. After that is says "bye," probably meaning it quit, but still, try quitting that before shutting down (assuming this is your process and you know what it is) and it might fix your problem.

Great point. Never occurred to me this could be a possibility.
I'll try to quit TextEx before shutdown now!

xjq194949
Oct 13, 2013, 02:15 AM

Well, no luck today.
I'm getting the same Private process did not quit error.

Here is the log.

10/13/13 3:08:07.325 PM Console[385]: Marker - Oct 13, 2013, 3:08:07 PM
10/13/13 3:08:09.597 PM Console[385]: Marker - Oct 13, 2013, 3:08:09 PM
10/13/13 3:08:10.340 PM Console[385]: Marker - Oct 13, 2013, 3:08:10 PM
10/13/13 3:08:20.906 PM WindowServer[90]: _CGXSetWindowBackgroundBlurRadius: Invalid window 0xffffffff
10/13/13 3:08:20.917 PM WindowServer[90]: _CGXSetWindowBackgroundBlurRadius: Invalid window 0xffffffff
10/13/13 3:08:30.454 PM TextExpander[238]: bye
10/13/13 3:08:36.789 PM Console[385]: Marker - Oct 13, 2013, 3:08:36 PM
10/13/13 3:08:37.958 PM Console[385]: Marker - Oct 13, 2013, 3:08:37 PM
10/13/13 3:08:44.767 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.apple.PackageKit.InstallStatus) Throttling respawn: Will start in 7 seconds
10/13/13 3:08:44.813 PM WindowServer[90]: CGXGetConnectionProperty: Invalid connection 54275
10/13/13 3:08:44.814 PM WindowServer[90]: CGXGetConnectionProperty: Invalid connection 54275
10/13/13 3:08:44.814 PM WindowServer[90]: CGXGetConnectionProperty: Invalid connection 54275
10/13/13 3:08:44.827 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ShareKitHelper[248]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:44.829 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.baidu.inputmethod.BaiduIM.60224[205]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:44.830 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.internetaccounts[200]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:44.835 PM UserEventAgent[11]: Captive: [UserAgentDied:142] User Agent @port=64267 Died
10/13/13 3:08:44.835 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: ([0x0-0x26026].com.apple.AppleSpell[292]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:44.835 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.apple.iTunesHelper.64272[228]) Exited with code: 1
10/13/13 3:08:44.836 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.google.android.mtpagent.114080[240]) Exited: Terminated: 15
10/13/13 3:08:44.836 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.apple.ImageCaptureExtension2.26256[285]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:44.840 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[158]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:44.841 PM loginwindow[61]: ERROR | -[Application setAppContext:] | Unable to get PID for context [0,65552]
10/13/13 3:08:44.843 PM Dropbox[234]: ERROR: Image Capture Extension went away!
10/13/13 3:08:44.849 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[155]: (com.apple.gamed[193]) Exited: Killed: 9
10/13/13 3:08:45.086 PM NotificationCenter[215]: Connection interrupted.
10/13/13 3:08:54.865 PM loginwindow[61]: ERROR | -[ApplicationManager quitPrivateProcesses] | Private process did not quit
10/13/13 3:08:54.908 PM sessionlogoutd[396]: sessionlogoutd Launched
10/13/13 3:08:54.917 PM sessionlogoutd[396]: DEAD_PROCESS: 61 console
10/13/13 3:08:54.948 PM airportd[82]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “ChinaUnicom-EDU”. Bailing on auto-join.
10/13/13 3:08:54.965 PM shutdown[397]: halt by _spotlight:
10/13/13 3:08:54.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext loading now disabled.
10/13/13 3:08:54.965 PM shutdown[397]: SHUTDOWN_TIME: 1381648134 964974
10/13/13 3:08:54.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext unloading now disabled.
10/13/13 3:08:54.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext autounloading now disabled.
10/13/13 3:08:54.000 PM kernel[0]: Kernel requests now disabled.
10/13/13 3:08:54.980 PM BetterTouchTool[239]: XPC error messaging com.apple.IconServicesAgent: Connection interrupted
10/13/13 3:08:54.980 PM BetterTouchTool[239]: XPC error messaging com.apple.IconServicesAgent: Connection invalid

I've tried to search for this "application manager" and got nothing useful, at least not to me...

Any more thoughts on how to tackle this?

If not, that's fine... Your application at least get rid of the spinning wheels for me.
No more hypnotizing haha!

53kyle
Oct 13, 2013, 02:21 AM
Any more thoughts on how to tackle this?

The only other thing I can think of is to turn off the "reopen windows when logging back in" option

xjq194949
Oct 13, 2013, 02:57 AM
The only other thing I can think of is to turn off the "reopen windows when logging back in" option

well, it was off for the whole time.....
Thanks for the app anyway!.
I guess I'm stuck with this for now.
Hope the next update can cure it...

christosteron
Oct 23, 2013, 04:01 AM
Hey Kyle,

I used your fix with mountain lion an my mba 2013 13" it was awesome and worked absolutely fine for me. thanks a lot for your great work

yesterday i updated officially to mavericks and the fast shutdown times are gone :(
the spinning wheel is back again.

i installed and de-installed your fix several times but it seems not to work.

can you please help me?

thank you very much,

Christoph

christosteron
Oct 23, 2013, 04:43 AM
...i tried the new version but i hangs up although i wait real long :(

shigatashway
Oct 23, 2013, 09:10 PM
Posting success from Mavericks on rMBP 2012

53kyle
Oct 23, 2013, 09:19 PM
...i tried the new version but i hangs up although i wait real long :(

If you need to run it after you already did once, you need to first reset to defaults with the "default" button, then run it again. Same goes for if you want to select the medium option after already using an older version or the fast option visa versa, you do the same thing.

christosteron
Oct 24, 2013, 06:25 AM
thanks kyle. i tried and it worked with the installation. but i don't get always fast shutdowns. with ml and your fix i got ALWAYS fast shutdowns. I don't no why?!

lieflayer
Oct 24, 2013, 09:19 AM
thanks kyle. i tried and it worked with the installation. but i don't get always fast shutdowns. with ml and your fix i got ALWAYS fast shutdowns. I don't no why?!

same problem, but I also have in ML.
Now fast shutdowns are almost never for me.
it only decreases of few seconds (2-3) off... but always takes 17 seconds to off.
then a few times if off almost instantly. I hope that your software can solve this mangy bug.

ps. I'm sorry for my english.

christosteron
Oct 24, 2013, 01:24 PM
@lifelayer = exact my situation :(

sometimes almost instant but mostly long :(

when i boot up and immediately shut down its always long. on moutain lion i could boot up and than instantly shut down my maschine. i mean its a stupid scenario. but just to show that it changed.

Miksel
Oct 26, 2013, 05:01 AM
Dear forum members, I use osx Mavericks MBP and to me it just takes 20 seconds to exit. Even if I use the app. Mountain Lion was not a problem, then it worked.

Are there any other members who are affected to Mavericks?

lieflayer
Oct 26, 2013, 08:41 AM
Dear forum members, I use osx Mavericks MBP and to me it just takes 20 seconds to exit. Even if I use the app. Mountain Lion was not a problem, then it worked.

Are there any other members who are affected to Mavericks?

20 seconds are too much.
sometimes the mac takes only 1-2 seconds to exit, when the bug don't affect it.

with this app it takes 15 seconds

Miksel
Oct 26, 2013, 10:11 AM
20 seconds are too much.
sometimes the mac takes only 1-2 seconds to exit, when the bug don't affect it.

with this app it takes 15 seconds

Thx Lieflayer ;-)

Is there a other fix for always 1-2 seconds?:rolleyes:

christosteron
Oct 26, 2013, 12:47 PM
@miksel same here:

mountain lion + fix = always instant shutdown

mavericks + fix = sometimes instant shut down.

don't know what changed...

lieflayer
Oct 26, 2013, 01:59 PM
Thx Lieflayer ;-)

Is there a other fix for always 1-2 seconds?:rolleyes:

lol I haven't done this app.
I only say what is the situation

Nuke61
Oct 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
I have no idea if this will make any change for anyone else, but I also had the ~25 second shutdown on Mountain Lion and also with Mavericks.

What I did was the following:

Select shutdown and uncheck 'Reopen windows when logging back in'

shutdown took ~25 seconds.

I rebooted and then repaired disk permissions.

I then shutdown again, once again with 'Reopen windows when logging back in' unchecked.

I rebooted and used my computer normally, then shutdown again, but this time I checked 'Reopen windows when logging back in' -- this is my normal method of shutdown, since I want to get right back where I left it.

Since doing this shutdown time is a consistent ~4 seconds, repeated 5 times. It might go back to the 25 second time on the very next shutdown, but at least for now it seems to be improved.

Miksel
Nov 22, 2013, 06:20 AM
After a lot of work I finally close my macbook with quickly. the problem lies in the key of iCloud. The deal has become corrupt and have done the following;

Open Keychain Access (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder).
Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu.
Click General, and then click on Set my default keychain again.
Specify the authentication login password for your account.
Stop Keychain Access.
Restart the computer.

Now I have a shutdown of less than 2 seconds!

Try it! ;-)

Badagri
Nov 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
That wipes out all your keychain entries. Or rather resets it to factory default and moves it but not deleted.

Miksel
Nov 22, 2013, 02:15 PM
I had tried everything and then got a message from the iCloud key while booting up my macbook. I then did the above and now close by really fast. completely happy.

finally;-)

lieflayer
Nov 23, 2013, 03:37 AM
no for me it doesn't work...
Yes, 2 times it close fast (1-2 seconds), but after that, again 20 seconds.
I wait for the new version for Mavericks

lieflayer
Dec 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
it completely doen't work with 10.9.1

53kyle
Dec 18, 2013, 02:47 PM
OK, so I haven't installed 10.9.1 to test yet, so it is downloading now. People are saying that the new version doesn't work, so I am going to try and fix that. Unfortunately, I don't have OS X mountain lion to test but I will be able to test 10.9.1 in a few minutes. Maybe I will have to revert to the old, slow version.

EDIT: 10.9.1 is installed now. Looking at the logs, the app still does what it is meant to do, but I have Adobe CS6 on my computer, and it looks like it delays shutdown a lot.

lieflayer
Dec 19, 2013, 12:51 PM
OK, so I haven't installed 10.9.1 to test yet, so it is downloading now. People are saying that the new version doesn't work, so I am going to try and fix that. Unfortunately, I don't have OS X mountain lion to test but I will be able to test 10.9.1 in a few minutes. Maybe I will have to revert to the old, slow version.

EDIT: 10.9.1 is installed now. Looking at the logs, the app still does what it is meant to do, but I have Adobe CS6 on my computer, and it looks like it delays shutdown a lot.
well, I also have Adobe Photoshop CC... but I can't uninstall it.
Can you fix the app?
Thank you anyway for your work. Apple had to fix it a lots of time ago.

53kyle
Dec 19, 2013, 03:31 PM
well, I also have Adobe Photoshop CC... but I can't uninstall it.
Can you fix the app?
Thank you anyway for your work. Apple had to fix it a lots of time ago.

Well, the way I always saw what was running when I shut down the computer was to boot in verbose mode and when it shut down it always showed the running processes. When I applied the fix to it those messages would go away and it would be faster. This time however, the messages went away but it seemed to still hang with no errors. I checked console and saw tons of things about "adobe." I do have CS6 installed so I know that must be it. It has a .plist in there but I'm not yet sure how to stop it on shut down, but I will be sure to update on my progress when I figure it out.

lieflayer
Dec 20, 2013, 02:26 AM
Well, the way I always saw what was running when I shut down the computer was to boot in verbose mode and when it shut down it always showed the running processes. When I applied the fix to it those messages would go away and it would be faster. This time however, the messages went away but it seemed to still hang with no errors. I checked console and saw tons of things about "adobe." I do have CS6 installed so I know that must be it. It has a .plist in there but I'm not yet sure how to stop it on shut down, but I will be sure to update on my progress when I figure it out.

Ok I wait.
Thank you.

Michelinu
Dec 27, 2013, 05:14 AM
It doesn't work in Mac OS X 10.9.1 :confused:
At login I've only Skype, iStat Menus, iStat Pro (in the Dashboard) and Caffeine..

53kyle
Dec 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
It doesn't work in Mac OS X 10.9.1 :confused:
At login I've only Skype, iStat Menus, iStat Pro (in the Dashboard) and Caffeine..

Ya, the new version of the app doesn't seem to work anymore so I am going to update it as soon as I figure out what is wrong :/

knguyench
Dec 29, 2013, 10:04 PM
Ya, the new version of the app doesn't seem to work anymore so I am going to update it as soon as I figure out what is wrong :/

Will release soon?

knguyench
Jan 1, 2014, 08:15 AM

Hi guy,
I do something and your App work, just 1 times- after do script here.
"sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches"
I think my feedback can help you clairified your apps. I looking forward hearing from you.

53kyle
Jan 1, 2014, 05:36 PM
Hi guy,
I do something and your App work, just 1 times- after do script here.
"sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches"
I think my feedback can help you clairified your apps. I looking forward hearing from you.

I put those commands into terminal recently actually, but that did nothing to help, sorry. It looks so far like the app still does work and speeds up shutting down, but not as much because something else happens before it gets to the stage that used to be the slow part. I can't figure out what is happening in that stage though.

knguyench
Jan 1, 2014, 08:57 PM
I put those commands into terminal recently actually, but that did nothing to help, sorry. It looks so far like the app still does work and speeds up shutting down, but not as much because something else happens before it gets to the stage that used to be the slow part. I can't figure out what is happening in that stage though.

Sorry allthing can't help you. I wait your effort.

tommiv
Jan 8, 2014, 11:47 AM

find my mac in iCloud makes mac shutdown 20-30 secs. Disable it and I get always 11sec shutdown time. Still no 2 secs but not bad. Have to investigate some more if svn faster shutdown times are possible without tweaks.

lieflayer
Jan 8, 2014, 02:24 PM
I discover that shutdown with terminal:
"sudo shutdown -h now"
or
"sudo halt"
will result in fast shutdown... but I try to make an app (with automator and apple script) that use that terminal command and it doesn't work (again 20 seconds). I think that if we can shutdown like the terminal does we can have a fast shutdown.

lieflayer
Mar 1, 2014, 03:33 AM
Edit

del1357
Mar 11, 2014, 06:00 PM
hey kyle, i installed the fix before reading the whole post (yeah, not clever, i know...). i'm running 10.9.2 and it's affected my start-up time slightly, unfortunately for the worse. is there a way to reverse/uninstall the fix? i've tried choosing 'default' but the problem persists. thanks for your work regardless.

53kyle
Mar 15, 2014, 01:17 AM
hey kyle, i installed the fix before reading the whole post (yeah, not clever, i know...). i'm running 10.9.2 and it's affected my start-up time slightly, unfortunately for the worse. is there a way to reverse/uninstall the fix? i've tried choosing 'default' but the problem persists. thanks for your work regardless.

How much is your startup time affected? By how many seconds? I don't think that this fix can do anything that will affect it.

del1357
Mar 15, 2014, 03:56 AM
How much is your startup time affected? By how many seconds? I don't think that this fix can do anything that will affect it.
Hey Kyle, startup time is roughly 10 seconds more. More noticeably, though, the initial Apple logo/booting screen blacks out for a second before returning to normal, which it didn't used to do.

I had applied a different slow startup fix months ago, so combining it with another one might not've been the best idea.

My own fault, always messing around with stuff I don't really understand!