PDA

View Full Version : Apple guy on 5th gen battery meter issue.

tdogg20
Nov 1, 2005, 07:35 PM
I called the apple store because my iPod battery meter goes down really fast to the red and he said tha tthe 5th gens have problems in the battery meter and that its nothing to worry about. Can anyone else relate to this? Also how long does your 30gb 5th gen last while view movies?

Dr. Dastardly
Nov 1, 2005, 08:09 PM
I havn't had that problem with mine but you may want to try draining the battery totally and then do a full recharge. Sometimes that fixes any battery indicator issue.

But also keep in mind that the battery indicator is not that reliable in the first place. I have seen my old 3g iPod go from a sliver to half then almost full just go back to 3/4 full. All within 15 minutes.

I did play a couple of episodes of House on mine and it lasted a good 3 hours. The battery was almost dead after that but I wouldn't have been suprised to get another half hour out of it.

mikemodena
Nov 1, 2005, 08:11 PM
I called the apple store because my iPod battery meter goes down really fast to the red and he said tha tthe 5th gens have problems in the battery meter and that its nothing to worry about. Can anyone else relate to this? Also how long does your 30gb 5th gen last while view movies?

Yeah.. I defintately noticed it too, but the battery never dies.. I think the meter isn't being calibrated right.. but as long as the battery isnt dying on me.. it's just a small inconvenience, it doesn't bother me too much.

evilgEEk
Nov 1, 2005, 08:16 PM
I think the meter isn't being calibrated right..
Completely draining the battery and then fully recharging it should fix the calibration.

tdogg20
Nov 1, 2005, 08:21 PM
ive tried draining and recharging twice and its still like that.

savar
Nov 1, 2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah.. I defintately noticed it too, but the battery never dies.. I think the meter isn't being calibrated right.. but as long as the battery isnt dying on me.. it's just a small inconvenience, it doesn't bother me too much.

I think it has to do with the battery technology. Since there is no direct way to measure a battery's capacity, the software infers its remaining charge from the voltage across the battery terminals, since in most battery chemistries the voltage decreases as the charge remaining decreases. In a Lion battery, the discharge profile is very flat, making it hard to determine how much charge remains.

I see this becoming a bigger problem as the industry for mobile devices grows...the algorithms will need to become much smarter.

Konradx
Nov 1, 2005, 10:33 PM
i got the same problem. I put on a movie for 30 seconds and 1/4 of my battery is gone.. though it probably isnt..it is very annoying when judging how much actual battery you have left.

To fully drain is to have a very small red line left or until it physically turns off due to lack of battery?