PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 Not Powering On.

Goftrey
Jun 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
I have used my Rev.A Bondi-Blue iMac for a good while now solely as a jukebox. It's been doing the same task flawlessly for months, day in, day out - until today.

When the power cable is connected to the iMac, the computer (haven't located where abouts the noise is coming from) makes a very high pitched, tinnitus-like noise. Then, when I push the power button in - the noise becomes louder.

I tried to record both a video & audio sample but the mic. just won't pick up the sound.

There's no startup chime, fans, display. Nothing.

Any ideas?

justperry
Jun 3, 2013, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a bad capacitor, probably in the power supply.

Lil Chillbil
Jun 3, 2013, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a bad capacitor, probably in the power supply.

backing up justperry it does sound like a capacitor

Goftrey
Jun 27, 2013, 12:52 PM
I finally got around to opening the iMac up & diagnosing the issues & it looks like you guys were right. A couple of leaking caps on the PSU board.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo1_zps3102eef1.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo3_zpsf6366e4c.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo2_zpse578c680.jpg

Intell
Jun 27, 2013, 06:08 PM
Those black things with the yellow tops aren't capacitors, those are transformers. They're supposed to have that gunk on them. They extremely rarely go bad. The only ones that I know of going bad under normal use are the flyback ones.

Goftrey
Jun 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
Those black things with the yellow tops aren't capacitors, those are transformers. They're supposed to have that gunk on them. They extremely rarely go bad. The only ones that I know of going bad under normal use are the flyback ones.

Oh! Well that's good news I guess.

If it's not caps then what on earth could the issue be?

Intell
Jun 27, 2013, 06:13 PM
I would suggest replacing the power supply with a known good one or even all of its capacitors. Just make sure you get the right revision power supply. The tray loaders had two different power supply revisions.

Goftrey
Jun 28, 2013, 07:51 AM
I would suggest replacing the power supply with a known good one or even all of its capacitors. Just make sure you get the right revision power supply. The tray loaders had two different power supply revisions.

Just had a quick look around & it doesn't seem economical to buy the power supply as a part when you go & buy a fully working one for the same price or even cheaper.

Guess I'll do something funky with it in the future. Thanks for the help :)

MisterKeeks
Jun 28, 2013, 10:05 AM
Just had a quick look around & it doesn't seem economical to buy the power supply as a part when you go & buy a fully working one for the same price or even cheaper.

Guess I'll do something funky with it in the future. Thanks for the help :)

If you have a multimeter handy I would try seeing if you can get any power out of the power supply.

You might be able to get a very low wattage power supply and use it instead. I believe that the G3s had an 80 watt PSU.