PDA

View Full Version : Plants vs. Zombies 2 to Launch on July 18 For Free

MacRumors
Jun 3, 2013, 11:25 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/03/plants-vs-zombies-2-to-launch-on-july-18-for-free/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/plants-vs-zombies2.jpgPopCap (http://www.popcap.com) first hinted (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/27/plants-vs-zombies-2-coming-this-summer/) at a Plants vs. Zombies sequel in March, announcing a summer launch date. The company followed that up by narrowing down the release date to July, and now PopCap has announced that the game's official launch is planned for July 18.

In addition to unveiling a new animated trailer, PopCap has also provided some details (http://popcap.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=30836&item=136934) on the upcoming game, which is titled Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time. The sequel features the same lane defense gameplay that made the original a hit, but it includes time travel to all new locations.Designed from the ground up as a live service, the ever-expanding universe of Plants vs. Zombies 2 continues the epic struggle of plants defending your brainz against zombies from your backyard through the vast reaches of time, both past and future. New worlds with new levels, plants, zombies and new ways to play will be released on an ongoing basis. Leveraging the touch interface of Apple's popular mobile devices, Plants vs. Zombies 2 includes all-new touch-screen power-ups that enable players to "break the fourth wall" and interact with zombies directly, as well as via plant defenses.

Also returning for the sequel is Crazy Dave, the addled neighbor who serves as a guide for players and shopkeeper for special plant upgrades and other tools and weapons. New touch-screen power-ups, plant food that supercharges plants, and novel new game mechanics that both help and hinder players' efforts to thwart the zombie hordes will enthrall existing fans and new players alike.gbcBYs0ljI0
PopCap has also announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2 will be free to play, with in-game items and upgrades available for a fee. The company claims that players will be able to access "the vast majority of the game" without paying money.

PopCap is planning to provide an exclusive look at Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time at E3 next week. The original Plants vs. Zombies game for both the iPhone and the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99.

- Plants vs. Zombies (http://appshopper.com/games/plants-vs-zombies) [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies/id350642635?mt=8)]
- Plants vs. Zombies HD (http://appshopper.com/games/plants-vs-zombies-hd) [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies-hd/id363282253?mt=8)]

Article Link: Plants vs. Zombies 2 to Launch on July 18 For Free (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/03/plants-vs-zombies-2-to-launch-on-july-18-for-free/)

MaxxTraxx
Jun 3, 2013, 11:27 AM
Can we just pay for the damn game without worrying about in-game purchases?

bushido
Jun 3, 2013, 11:28 AM
id rather pay than being bothered by ads popping up all the time and in app purchase reminders tbh

Andy-V
Jun 3, 2013, 11:30 AM
Free to play, expensive to enjoy.

aziatiklover
Jun 3, 2013, 11:30 AM
No free plz! I hate in apps purchase. Just charge me $5.

spblat
Jun 3, 2013, 11:32 AM
I'm so bummed. The sequel to my favorite iOS game ever is going to be an EA-style freemium nightmare.

b11051973
Jun 3, 2013, 11:36 AM
This is the worst news. I bet I played PvZ 20 times. Loved that game so much. The sequel being freemium means I probably won't be finishing the game.

I've been playing Plants vs Zombies Adventures lately on Facebook. I got to the point where the game just got annoying and it was all because of the freemium thing. I would have been happy to spend $10-20 on the game, but that wouldn't get you very far. The in game purchases were just too expensive.

springsup
Jun 3, 2013, 11:37 AM
Echoing all other posts, I'd love a game I could just buy and enjoy.

I don't want another "Simpsons: Tapped out" kind of game, full of consumable IAPs (oh, yes, you can play it for free if you're willing to perform one minor task per day and then wait until the counter runs down).

EA are sucking all the fun out of games.

I can see it now - 10h until your sunflowers produce more sun. Pay $0.99 to skip. Where's the fun?

TechZeke
Jun 3, 2013, 11:38 AM
This free-to-play BS is out of control. I would much rather pay the $20 and not have to worry about not having the complete game.

This means ads, in-app purchase reminders, and being nickeled and dimed to death with paying $5 per new type of plant or some nonsense like that.

bushido
Jun 3, 2013, 11:39 AM
add iCloud support for godsake or link it to an id. im sick of playing this game on all my iDevices all over again

Mycoolroy
Jun 3, 2013, 11:45 AM
This is a terrible sign for the future of iOS gaming. Real racing already did it, now plants versus zombies. Maybe next will be infinity blade. I've noticed that many games that include in app purchases do devious things like get you hooked at first And wait for you to invest your time in the game then, during the middle of the game extremely up the difficulty to force you to buy an app purchases if you want to complete the game... Its just wrong. I've also heard from a developer that some companies even enlist psychologist to figure out when is best to strike you and when you are at your most vulnerable I think that it is immoral and something should be done about it.

For example I like how Apple added a notification there when you buy the app that the app includes in a purchases I think that's a good step in the right direction. Because I and I'm sure many others want to avoid purchasing those apps. Even paid games now are offering in app purchases and they use the same heavy-handed tactics. It's probably because they all plan on going free down the line sometime and that's yet another reason to never purchase apps with in app purchases anymore.

The Phazer
Jun 3, 2013, 11:46 AM
BOOOOO.

EA killing another beloved game.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 3, 2013, 12:05 PM
IAP isn't always bad. IE, expansion packs for games have been around for a long time and I don't think anyone complains about those - they're essentially IAP. Maybe this will be like that.

Or maybe IAP will just be all about buying hats and other cosmetic things.

There are many ways IAP can be done that isn't evil.

But of course you're all right to be upset about this series, but not by this news. What should upset you is the fact that EA is at the helm, meaning that this game is guaranteed bull. EA is the only company to have won the golden poo from Consumer Reports two years in a row and it looks like they're on track to win it a third time. Honestly, EA hasn't made a single good game in... more than a decade?

Tubamajuba
Jun 3, 2013, 12:08 PM
Forget it, not downloading this game. When they say "the vast majority of the game" will be available for free, they conveniently don't mention that certain levels will likely be impossibly difficult unless you fork up some cash.

I absolutely don't mind paying up front for a game. I *do* mind being taken for a fool with these ridiculous "free" games.

vmachiel
Jun 3, 2013, 12:15 PM
Wait! EA bought PvZ? Not downloading it sorry, i'm not playing a pay to have fun game. I'll gladly give 2,69 but no freemium! :(

Millah
Jun 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
EA seriously sucks. Why do they keep ruining these studios that they bought out? They ruined Firemint and Real Racing 3 with freemium shenanigans, and now they're slowly ruining Popcaps games. Zuma Blitz on FB was turned to complete crap recently, shoving transactions down your face and ruined the overall feel of the gameplay. Now they're setting sights on PVZ. Is PVZ Adventures on FB is any indication of the direction they'll be going with this game, then its going to be a travesty. Enough with the damn microtransactions, just let us buy the damn game and be done with it.

Thank you EA, for slowly killing one of the most beloved indie studios around. Idk what the hell got into Popcap thinking EA would be a good home for their studio, especially when they've been indie for so long. I guess money talks.

Walter White
Jun 3, 2013, 12:17 PM
Free to play, expensive to enjoy.

Avoid these apps as much ass possible.

kcamfork
Jun 3, 2013, 12:21 PM
I will not be playing this garbage. Rest in peace, PopCap.

chainprayer
Jun 3, 2013, 12:21 PM
App: Free
Level 1: $4.99

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2013, 12:26 PM

This is EA we're talking about. Don't get your hopes up. The game will probably be ruined, like they ruined Real Racing.

App: Free
Level 1: $4.99

All the levels will be free. But as someone else already said, that doesn't mean they will be possible to complete without forking over $$.

Walter White
Jun 3, 2013, 12:29 PM
IAP isn't always bad. IE, expansion packs for games have been around for a long time and I don't think anyone complains about those - they're essentially IAP. Maybe this will be like that.

Or maybe IAP will just be all about buying hats and other cosmetic things.

Yeah if only that would always be the case.

PBG4 Dude
Jun 3, 2013, 12:32 PM
This is why I happily paid $10 for KotOR. One charge and I get the whole game. I bought Real Racing when that was $10 and other games like World Of Goo. Have absolutely no problems paying realistic prices for good games but this premium feels like being in a Skinner box and being played or a fool.

Was so looking forward to PvZ2 also. Bought the first one before all the gold coin IAP was added as well.

CylonGlitch
Jun 3, 2013, 12:33 PM
I absolutely despise Fremium applications. Most of the time I get into it, get going and then you're stuck unless you pay $.99 to get xyz . . . for 3 uses. No, no, no, no, no.

Charge me $4.99, or $9.99, and let me play it at my leisure as much as I want, beating it over and over again if I so choose without having to keep forking over more cash.

I'm done, out, finished. Won't even bother looking at it.

adnbek
Jun 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
To all the whiners already complaining, here's an idea: why not reserve judgement until AFTER the game is released? We don't even know how the IAP are going to be implemented yet.

CylonGlitch
Jun 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
To all the whiners already complaining, here's an idea: why not reserve judgement until AFTER the game is released? We don't even know how the IAP are going to be implemented yet.

It's EA, look at their track record.

fraggot
Jun 3, 2013, 12:42 PM
Why must they always ruin something good and already worked?

Charged one fee for it and people will still buy that ****.

mfram
Jun 3, 2013, 12:55 PM
I'm fearing my PvZ will be nickel-and-dimed to death as well. The only way we will get their attention is by giving the game bad ratings if the in-app purchases are too ridiculous.

yegon
Jun 3, 2013, 12:58 PM
And like that!

/clicks fingers

I've lost all interest in the game.

bacaramac
Jun 3, 2013, 01:18 PM
I'm with everyone else here. I paid good money for Real Racing 1 and 2 on both iPad and iPhone. I think they should just raise the prices to $15-20 and call it a day. They may not sell to as many people, but at least they will have integrity. Oh well, another great sequel I won't be trying out.

My kids have played the crap out of this game on their iPods, if (and they probably will) implement IAP's like they normally do, I couldn't afford for both my kids to play this. Haha. The worst IAP's are the limited use one. Like 5 lives and the IAP is gone. The ones like buying a super flower wouldn't be as bad because you can download on all your devices and use it.

TouchMint.com
Jun 3, 2013, 01:29 PM
Mega sweet!

Pvz did it better than most with freedom last time so I don't have a problem this time around.

Jun 3, 2013, 01:48 PM

Probably the worst-ever idea that came with iOS gaming in general - stupid greedy developers is all I can think of, particularly when it comes to those ridiculous farm-like games.

Pity that P vs Z is also following the same pathetic trend.

----------

Mega sweet!

Pvz did it better than most with freedom last time so I don't have a problem this time around.

Same here - Apple should just BANISH all "freemium" games from its store - or at the very least, let us have the simple possibility to REMOVE them as a search parameter.

trainwrecka
Jun 3, 2013, 02:07 PM
Robot Unicorn 2 is the poster child for how bad freemium makes a great game. Constantly being bombarded by ads creates a horrible experience. Pretty soon we will need a TiVo for our apps. Ridiculous.

I don't care if they do it, just give us the option to buy and get away from the ads, and upgrades, and gems you force down our throats.

noodlemanc
Jun 3, 2013, 02:14 PM
Oh Christ, it's a trend... First Real Racing, and now PvZ. I'll be sure not to download either of them.

A Hebrew
Jun 3, 2013, 02:25 PM
Well there goes that game down the gutter.

roadbloc
Jun 3, 2013, 02:26 PM
Ugh. EA have had their greasy paws on this one. Hopefully, free actually means free and not free with them damn in-app purchases.

CylonGlitch
Jun 3, 2013, 02:44 PM
Ugh. EA have had their greasy paws on this one. Hopefully, free actually means free and not free with them damn in-app purchases.

The company claims that players will be able to access "the vast majority of the game" without paying money.

What that means is that yeah, you can play it. But want to finish it or really enjoy it, you're gonna pay.

Prediction :
Most plants will come from random drops; that happen so infrequently, the drop rate will be basically 0%. BUT there is good news, you can rent a plant for a level for $0.99; or you can pay $2.99 to buy it. 80% of the plants are free, but the GOOD plants are premium only.

Maybe even want to increase your sun production, pay $4.99. Want to get more coins (which have a normal drop rate of 1% or less) no problem 10,000 for $2.99, 100,000 for $9.99 or 250,000 for $19.99. And something tells me that coins are not going to go nearly as far as they did in the first game; and there will be new things to suck coins out of your wallet.

Just a guess though, I have no idea. I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

E.Lizardo
Jun 3, 2013, 04:12 PM
Forget it, not downloading this game. When they say "the vast majority of the game" will be available for free, they conveniently don't mention that certain levels will likely be impossibly difficult unless you fork up some cash.

I absolutely don't mind paying up front for a game. I *do* mind being taken for a fool with these ridiculous "free" games.

I'll be downloading it just to leave a 1 star review.

Christoffee
Jun 3, 2013, 04:18 PM
Will IAP purchases destroy iOS living room gaming before it even starts? For family gaming I was hoping that the Apple TV and game controller situation would get sorted, but even if it does the games will be riddled with IAPs.

Looks like a Wii U for me!

WilliamG
Jun 3, 2013, 05:33 PM
I'm so bummed. The sequel to my favorite iOS game ever is going to be an EA-style freemium nightmare.

Agreed 100%. Even the trailer has "we no longer care" written all over it. I won't even be downloading this.

So bummed. The first game was just... excellent.

sekazi
Jun 3, 2013, 07:04 PM
Well I am no longer even looking forward to this. I have played my share of fremium apps and I am tired of nickle and dime games. The worst I always see is the coins. PvZ1 was bad enough at this and I see coins being the choice in the new one charging for everything.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 3, 2013, 08:41 PM
Probably the worst-ever idea that came with iOS gaming in general - stupid greedy developers is all I can think of, particularly when it comes to those ridiculous farm-like games.

Pity that P vs Z is also following the same pathetic trend.[COLOR="#808080"]

Agree IAP was a horrible development BUT it was a direct result of the race to the bottom pricing of early apps. If iDevice users had supported apps at the $5-10 level we probably never would have seen IAP or "Freemium" become so big. Developers have to make a profit one way or another. It's not their fault consumers are so ignorant that they's rather pay $20 a game in $.99 increments rather than $10 in one lump sum.

toaster64
Jun 3, 2013, 09:03 PM
But of course you're all right to be upset about this series, but not by this news. What should upset you is the fact that EA is at the helm, meaning that this game is guaranteed bull. EA is the only company to have won the golden poo from Consumer Reports two years in a row and it looks like they're on track to win it a third time. Honestly, EA hasn't made a single good game in... more than a decade?

Harry Potter 2
Lord of the Rings Return of the King
Need for Speed Carbon
NASCAR 2006
the SSX series
Sims 3 (kinda)
PGA Tour looks good.

EA has some really good games. I doubt PvZ 2 will be good because PvZ 1 was pretty boring for something so popular.

----------

Well I am no longer even looking forward to this. I have played my share of fremium apps and I am tired of nickle and dime games. The worst I always see is the coins. PvZ1 was bad enough at this and I see coins being the choice in the new one charging for everything.

Whatever, I just hack the coins/points/gems/tokens in. I'd rather start with the fast character in Temple Run to have an interesting game than have to play a thousand boring games to get him.

cclloyd
Jun 3, 2013, 09:56 PM
Oh god. If it's free, and it's EA, that means "the vast majority" means the first chapter. The rest of the game and anything fun costs extra.

God I hope iAP cracker works for it if it's unplayable without it.

dampfnudel
Jun 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
No free plz! I hate in apps purchase. Just charge me $5.

The problem is they want more than that. Now, we're all concerned about how much we'll really have to pay to get the same experience that we got with the first game. That's a real shame and I hope this "free to start playing, but expensive to enjoy/finish" trend ends someday. Just charge what you think the game is worth and let the market decide. I'm willing to pay more than 99 cents, but I don't want to worry each time I start playing the game if I'll need to spend more money to complete a level.

the8thark
Jun 3, 2013, 11:04 PM

I agree. I'd rather pay upfront. This freemium pay to win stuff just stinks of the rotten kind of ****.

dennno
Jun 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
So many people complain about IAP without even trying the game. Half of the people complaining probably wouldn't buy the game in the first place if it was $5.99.

Just face it most people's mentality is that apps should be either $0.99 max. At that price most even refuse to pay. An obvious viable solution is to make the game freemium. You can enjoy the game without having to use IAP.

cclloyd
Jun 4, 2013, 12:00 AM
You know... this is what the app store pricepoint has done. Made freemium the goal. PC games can cost from $20-60. PvZ costs $10 on Steam. I bet if they charged that they wouldn't have to do all this iAP crap.

If developers just charged a higher pricepoint, I guarentee people would still buy it.

Heck, to make the app pirate proof, make the app free, but non-functional, and put in an iAP that unlocks the app. It would have to verify with their server for things that pirate iAPs to not work. This would be an effective way to stop the piracy of apps.

But there is one upside to freemium, albeit small. They are usually universal apps since they don't have to charge you for each one you want it on.

The Phazer
Jun 4, 2013, 04:54 AM
So many people complain about IAP without even trying the game. Half of the people complaining probably wouldn't buy the game in the first place if it was $5.99.

People complain about an EA game with IAP, because EA has consistently ruined every title it's released with them for about a year now.

You can enjoy the game without having to use IAP.

It's very unlikely that the game can realistically be completed without using IAP given past form.

And add that on to a naff concept, poor art and the original game creator not being involved...

gman901
Jun 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
I'm taking my time playing the 1st one over again and also paid $10 for KOTOR!! No BS IAP!

RobNYC
Jun 4, 2013, 12:07 PM

This. I hate those "free games" that mostly require you to pay something for it one way or another.

fivedots
Jun 4, 2013, 12:20 PM
While I enjoyed the first rendition of the game and like the theme, concept, and gameplay, am I the only one who found it particularly easy? I'm not much of a gamer (even casual games) yet I didn't really struggle with any level.

I felt it was lacking in the area of strategy. Most of the unique plants were either one-time use or could be completely ignored. I'd prefer something a little less prescribed. After awhile I felt as if I wasn't really doing anything; just tapping my way through a predetermined "story", for lack of a better word.

Jun 4, 2013, 12:53 PM
Agree IAP was a horrible development BUT it was a direct result of the race to the bottom pricing of early apps. If iDevice users had supported apps at the $5-10 level we probably never would have seen IAP or "Freemium" become so big. Developers have to make a profit one way or another. It's not their fault consumers are so ignorant that they's rather pay $20 a game in $.99 increments rather than $10 in one lump sum.

I partly agree with you; however, it is more than clear that developers CAN be successful when good apps demand higher prices - evidence is easily out there for great apps like the original P vs. Z, the Avernum RPG series and so on.

You cannot disregard a simple fact: with Apple's relatively lax IAP policy, developers DID decide instead for the easier route of disguised/misleading IAPs as well as those criminal "intermission-like" ads with tiny buttons that are as difficult to press as those normally displayed on shady, buck-starved pron sites.

My simple suggestion to Apple: PLEASE enable us consumers to search for apps WITHOUT IAPs - make it a very easy search parameter for people to use. Because I am tired of downloading an app, paid or free, just to find out later that these irritating "freemium" options are out there.

I am more than willing to pay money for a good app - just don't make me/push me to spend 100 dollars on a stupid "bucket of coins". Developers ARE in bad faith here and they should just admit it. Not to mention that marginal costs in software are close to ZERO once the main development investment is amortized.

In summary, this is capitalism at its worst; the one where imperfect market information prevails.

jerkoff
Jun 4, 2013, 01:13 PM
The first Plants vs. Zombies made untold millions. How did PopCap (recently acquired by EA) reward its creator and lead designer George Fan? They laid him off to cut costs.

I'm not going to play this game. There's no joy in it.

ric275
Jun 4, 2013, 01:40 PM

I completely agree... :mad:

Fed
Jun 5, 2013, 03:33 AM
When will they optimise the original for iphone 5?

Infuriating.

roadbloc
Jun 5, 2013, 03:34 AM
When will they optimise the original for iphone 5?

Infuriating.

2nd of Never.

Fed
Jun 5, 2013, 03:39 AM
2nd of Never.

Such a shame. It's one of the few games I like(d) playing.

Wolfpup
Jun 5, 2013, 10:38 AM

Tooooootally agree. I hate this trend and don't pay for add-ons to games (save for actual stand alone retail expansion packs).

teleromeo
Jun 5, 2013, 11:00 AM
I have 9,999,990 coins in PvZ. Can I use these to upgrade to an unlocked version of PvZ2 ?

Jun 5, 2013, 12:07 PM
I have 9,999,990 coins in PvZ. Can I use these to upgrade to an unlocked version of PvZ2 ?

You should ask EA and see whether this is equal to a "bucket of coins"... ;)

HCO
Jun 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
i can't find the game in the app store

fraggot
Jun 18, 2013, 03:49 PM

Hint: Title of thread

alent1234
Jun 18, 2013, 05:12 PM

Really?

I played it and its da awesome

adnbek
Jul 13, 2013, 01:10 PM
I posted an earlier comment before the game was released. Now that I've had a chance to try it out, I must say I'm disappointed. The IAP alone aren't the only annoyance. The game just doesn't have the same charm as the original. Since none of the original folk who worked on the first game were involved in this one, the difference is quite noticeable:

The music is blah. I LOVED the music in the first game. This one, I'd rather turn the sound off as the music is just bland. None of the new tunes are catchy or enjoyable to listen to. The voices, same deal. The zombie voices are ear-piercingly annoying. I don't like using the power ups. I find them little-more than cheats and makes the game too easy.

And finally, the only annoying aspect of the IAP is that you can't take the slow route and use your coins to unlock things. They should've done like in Real Racing 2 where you're given the choice of either unlocking right away with real money or taking the slow route and use in-game currency instead. Here, you're not given the choice. You HAVE to use money instead, rendering the in-game currency worthless. (except to buying power ups which I'd rather not use anyway) You aren't given a choice. Perhaps this would be addressed in a future update where you're given a choice between paying with real money or in-game currency, but I doubt it.

I've yet to reach the point of needing to collect many stars to unlock the next stage but I read about it here and that just seems like an artificial way of making the game drag on.... and I'm already bored as it is. I can't imagine how boring it'll get if I'm forced to repeat a level several times.

So, while I was right about reserving judgement till the game came out (I kinda had hope since RR2 is actually a good game despite the IAP), not anymore. This game sucks and I'm incredibly disappointed. :(

egoistaxx9
Jul 13, 2013, 03:42 PM
i dont like in-game purchases, they should have put a price tag on it.

otismotive77
Jul 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
ahahaha....i love the trailer, i'm definitely downloadin' it.

blitzer09x87
Jul 13, 2013, 05:56 PM
finally, the wait is over. i love this amazing game. the idea is really new, different and great.

It Is James
Jul 14, 2013, 05:37 PM

Yeah, gotta love EA, right? I'd much rather pay an upfront free and avoid all the IAPs. But, that's EA for you.

By the way, I'm pretty sure it's already out in the Australian and New Zealand App Store.

Pompiliu
Jul 18, 2013, 07:05 AM
Well... It's July 18.
Where is it?

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/templates/14822.jpg

nihl
Jul 18, 2013, 08:43 AM
The release has been postponed for later this summer.
That's what they keep saying on Twitter (https://mobile.twitter.com/PlantsvsZombies).

enigma2118
Jul 18, 2013, 11:28 AM
Well... It's July 18.
Where is it?

Image (http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/templates/14822.jpg)

Bummed it wasn't released. Dejected I came here for some updates. At least this made the day okay. Thanks.