Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello everyone. I have a karaoke version of a song with backup vocals that I need removed. I have tried everything I could find on the internet involving Garageband or Audacity.. I know there are some audiophiles here who have the skill to either help me or get this done for me. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know so I can send the track. I don't really understand EQing or what it entails, but I have tried and it won't work. Even if the track loses a little bit it would be ok. As long as it sounds good. PM me or post here. Thanks guys

PS I need it for Thursday.. I know it's really soon but it's for a competition. Thanks again!

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
Hello everyone. I have a karaoke version of a song with backup vocals that I need removed. . .

it's highly unlikely the backing vocals can be removed completely without spoiling how it already sounds.

if the song/track in question is popular enough you can buy a karaoke version without BVs (Backing Vocals)... probably.
what's the track?

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
cant be done i'm afraid...

unless you can find a a capella thats has BVs in it... possibly....

Once a song is mixed into a stereo file it's near impossible to remove a single part with out affecting everything else

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Its actually an original track by my girlfriend. Her website is dani-ellesings.com. Anyway it is one of the tracks that she plays out with when she isn't with her band, but for the competition she can't have any vocals besides her own (including BVs). I have been trying to figure this out for days now!

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Hello everyone. I have a karaoke version of a song with backup vocals that I need removed. I have tried everything I could find on the internet involving Garageband or Audacity.. I know there are some audiophiles here who have the skill to either help me or get this done for me. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know so I can send the track. I don't really understand EQing or what it entails, but I have tried and it won't work. Even if the track loses a little bit it would be ok. As long as it sounds good. PM me or post here. Thanks guys

PS I need it for Thursday.. I know it's really soon but it's for a competition. Thanks again!

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to do in a reasonable amount of time. Remaking the backing track would be less work.

Just saw the post about the situation. Do you know if your girlfriend has access to the original mixes? If so, bouncing a version without the backup vocals would be the best solution.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to do in a reasonable amount of time. Remaking the backing track would be less work.

Just saw the post about the situation. Do you know if your girlfriend has access to the original mixes? If so, bouncing a version without the backup vocals would be the best solution.

I'll check with her today. I'm not too sure though. Fingers crossed!

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
where was the song recorded?

Most places should be able to provide the project file or stems to whomever paid for the session.

get ahold of them and youre laughing

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
Recreation isn't an option I'm afraid. Here is the karaoke track itself though...

i've tried with some forensic software and it's not working well enough.
i guess you don't have or there never was a multitrack version. only that can save you now...
pity...
what next?

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
No project files or anything like that, good thing she's recording her next album in Nashville and not locally, at least they can do it right! Thanks for the help everyone. If I can't magically get it to work then she will just use a non original and lose a few points

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
No project files or anything like that, good thing she's recording her next album in Nashville and not locally, at least they can do it right! Thanks for the help everyone. If I can't magically get it to work then she will just use a non original and lose a few points

Good luck man! She's a talented girl.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Dejo, that looks like its just for recording. Is that right?

I'm not sure now. Looks like the app has changed since I first downloaded and tried it. When I tested it, I was able to select a song from my iTunes Library (a purchased song, to boot) and it would play with the vocals fairly nicely removed. Now, I get some warning about 'Protected Song'.

Sorry to have wasted your time, Orange Furball. My apologies.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I'm not sure now. Looks like the app has changed since I first downloaded and tried it. When I tested it, I was able to select a song from my iTunes Library (a purchased song, to boot) and it would play with the vocals fairly nicely removed. Now, I get some warning about 'Protected Song'.

Sorry to have wasted your time, Orange Furball. My apologies.

That's OK, it was worth a shot! Thanks!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
As someone once said, trying to extract each track from a mixed audio file is like trying to take the eggs out of cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.