Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crizza0309

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
So Im getting an apple tv 2 this week and Im constantly transferring files onto it. My question is is there a way I can access the external harddrive as a shared network folder and have it show up on my macbook? That way when I want to transfer the files from my mac to the harddrive I dont have to constatly unplug it and transfer?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So Im getting an apple tv 2 this week and Im constantly transferring files onto it. My question is is there a way I can access the external harddrive as a shared network folder and have it show up on my macbook? That way when I want to transfer the files from my mac to the harddrive I dont have to constatly unplug it and transfer?
Plug the HD into your router.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
i dont have one. so theres no way to access it through the apple tv?
I am not understanding. When you say you are currently constantly transferring files onto "it", what is it?

Also, aTV's are pretty useless without wifi (router).

crizza0309

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I am not understanding. When you say you are currently constantly transferring files onto "it", what is it?

ok, I have an external harddrive. I currently have it hooked up to my apple tv. Is there a way I can access the external hd plugged into my Apple tv from my laptop? Because it gets annoying that I have to unplug the harddrive from my apple tv and then in my macbook to transfer the files and then plug the harddrive back to the apple tv. So Im trying to transfer my files from my harddrive to the apple tv exteranl harddrive over wifi. so im trying to see if i can get my external hd which is plugged into my apple tv to show up on my mac so I can access it and never have to unplug my HD to transfer files.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
ok, I have an external harddrive. I currently have it hooked up to my apple tv. Is there a way I can access the external hd plugged into my Apple tv from my laptop? Because it gets annoying that I have to unplug the harddrive from my apple tv and then in my macbook to transfer the files and then plug the harddrive back to the apple tv. So Im trying to transfer my files from my harddrive to the apple tv exteranl harddrive over wifi. so im trying to see if i can get my external hd which is plugged into my apple tv to show up on my mac so I can access it and never have to unplug my HD to transfer files.
So, you do have wifi and therefore a router. If the router has a usb port then you should connect the HDD there so it will become a network drive. That way you can transfer files wirelessly.

As for connecting a HDD to an aTV, I don't think the aTV supports that at all (not sure though if it's an aTV1 or jailbroken aTV2 though).

Edit: so I have read where the aTV1 will support an attached usb HDD but an aTV2, aTV2(jailbroken) and aTV3 will not support an external HDD through their usb port. Do you have an aTV1 then?

Last edited:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The atv 1 hacked running linux xbmc will support an external usb hard drive *and* you can transfer to it the drive wirelessly. I use two of them. Much more flexible than either the atv2 or 3. Local expandable storage and can still stream if you want.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

When I was running a jailbroken ATV1 with external harddrive, there was an option to enable ftp on the ATV. That allowed me to transfer files over the network to the ATV hard drives. Does such an option exist for ATV2 JB? FTP or file sharing?

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013

sorry, but i was feeling uncomfortable reading the above and had to say this..

it's "I do not understand"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.