Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Some Canon users may not be aware of the Canon Loyalty Program in the States. If you shop the Canon USA site you will find refurbed lens and bodies. The wife and I have saved lots of the years purchasing L lens there. We also got out 5DII bodies there.

It was time to upgrade the wife's 5DII to 5DIII. I remembered that she still had an old Canon AT-1 film body in the closet (over 30 years old). So I called into the store to see if it qualifies for the tradein credit. It did, so I got 15% off of the refurbed price. They also sent a prepaid UPS label to send in the AT-1 once we receive the 5DIII.

I highly recommend Canon shooters in the States consider the refurb store, and trading in old bodies for serious credit. You can do a simple purchase online; however, to do the trade in you have to call in. Basically any Canon camera body can be used for credit.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

anewman143

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Can anyone see any place on this site to get refurb lenses or flashes? I only see bodies (some with lenses)

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Where do you check trade in value? I couldn't find anything about that on the website. I have a 60D and want to trade that in for a 5DMIII.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
As I stated in the original post, if you want to trade in an old body, you have to call them to get the new price.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Where do you check trade in value? I couldn't find anything about that on the website. I have a 60D and want to trade that in for a 5DMIII.

You don't really get credit for trading in, you just get a flat percentage off the refurbished. It doesn't matter if the trade in it working or not, or is a 5DmkII or a 30 year old film body.

That being said, you're much better off selling your 60D and using those funds to get a 5DmkIII. People even sell old broken Canon cameras on Ebay and such for stupid low prices just so people can take advantage of CLP, so you might be well off getting one of those to trade in too.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Exactly. We would have been crazy to trade in a 5DII and get the same credit as we got for a 30 year old film SLR. The 5dII is now at a camera store for a consignment sale.

The wife loves her new 5DIII. It came in looking and behaving like new.

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Exactly. We would have been crazy to trade in a 5DII and get the same credit as we got for a 30 year old film SLR. The 5dII is now at a camera store for a consignment sale.

The wife loves her new 5DIII. It came in looking and behaving like new.

Yeah I understand the trade in program now. Good thing I have a bunch of Canon file cameras laying around. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.