PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] Am I the only one? [who hates the idea of flat]

KUguardgrl13
Jun 4, 2013, 10:10 PM
Looking at all of the iOS 7 mockups, I HATE the idea of flat. Granted I've only been using iOS for a few months (been using OS X and iPod classic for a little while), but I like the current UI. It's different from Windows phone 8 which I hate the look of and much easier to navigate than android or blackberry 10. Flat just doesn't seem right for Apple. OS X has looked much the same for years. What's wrong with keeping the same overall look for iOS? Hate on me if you will, but I like the way things look now. Improvements to Maps and other software improvements would be acceptable.

newyorksole
Jun 4, 2013, 10:15 PM
you should honestly just wait until Monday. we have no idea what it'll look like.

I think the consistency is the main thing. Apple's apps are all over the place. I think they're trying to make them similar on OS X and now do the same for iOS.

that new WWDC App is definitely an indicator of what we're about to see for iOS 7.

Nanasaki
Jun 4, 2013, 10:27 PM
Looking at all of the iOS 7 mockups, I HATE the idea of flat. Granted I've only been using iOS for a few months (been using OS X and iPod classic for a little while), but I like the current UI. It's different from Windows phone 8 which I hate the look of and much easier to navigate than android or blackberry 10. Flat just doesn't seem right for Apple. OS X has looked much the same for years. What's wrong with keeping the same overall look for iOS? Hate on me if you will, but I like the way things look now. Improvements to Maps and other software improvements would be acceptable.

I have no problem with current design. But I LOVE flat design more. There are lots of good apps with flat design. I personally love all Google's app, i.e. Google Maps, Google Play Musics app, the new Gmail app... I also like some Windows 8 apps with flat design, i.e. the finance app and news app.

MattInOz
Jun 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
Having used my phone in many non-ideal situations, like bright sunlight, dirty screen and backlight set way down, that extra detail can be helpful. The Flat designs look nice when your on an ideal screen but how well do they handle less than ideal situations.

dictoresno
Jun 4, 2013, 11:44 PM
im kind of indifferent, however i kinda like it the way it is now. im also usually against change in general, so i could really care less what it looks like in the end.

charlituna
Jun 5, 2013, 08:39 AM
Hate on me if you will, but I like the way things look now. Improvements to Maps and other software improvements would be acceptable.

Who says you won't get both. Heck some of this flattening, if it happens, could improve the code. By reducing it. Which may be a good thing.

I agree if they spent all their time changing the look and left in bugs like Forstall did with iOS 6 then shame on them. But I won't hate until I see the final product. Because I suspect it isn't as big a change as some think

ra4oasis
Jun 5, 2013, 08:58 AM

Let's not jump to the conclusion that flat = Windows 8's look. I can practically guarantee that iOS 7 won't look like Windows Phone. Flat can be great. I like the iPhone music app, and it looks pretty flat. The games Dots and LetterPress both are fantastic. They are flat, but extremely functional. Don't worry yourself until Monday rolls around. If you hate it AFTER you've seen things, then you can complain :)

Small White Car
Jun 5, 2013, 08:59 AM
OS X has looked much the same for years. What's wrong with keeping the same overall look for iOS?

Given that the Mac OS has gotten MUCH flatter over its lifetime, I don't find your arguments very convincing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/os_change.jpg

Smith288
Jun 5, 2013, 12:42 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/deadhorsebeat_2.gif

cmChimera
Jun 5, 2013, 12:57 PM
Image (http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/deadhorsebeat_2.gif)

Exactly. We don't need a topic from everyone that wants to preemptively complain.

red41
Jun 5, 2013, 01:11 PM
Does anyone else hate that people complain about iOS being stale and in need of a refresh, but when Apple actually announces a refresh everyone complains that they don't want it to change?

Smith288
Jun 5, 2013, 01:14 PM
Does anyone else hate that people complain about iOS being stale and in need of a refresh, but when Apple actually announces a refresh everyone complains that they don't want it to change?

Person: Dodge needs to redo the Ford Mustang..it's outdated and boring...

Ford: Ok, here's the all newly designed hot Mustang!

Person: Gross, I want the old one...

Ford: ....

KUguardgrl13
Jun 5, 2013, 01:14 PM
Given that the Mac OS has gotten MUCH flatter over its lifetime, I don't find your arguments very convincing.

Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/os_change.jpg)

See I'm not running 10.8. Still on Snow Leopard.

red41
Jun 5, 2013, 01:18 PM

Maybe that's why you think OSX has "looked the same for years".

KUguardgrl13
Jun 5, 2013, 01:28 PM
Maybe that's why you think OSX has "looked the same for years".

Hey, Microsoft didn't make drastic changes to the look of Windows until 8, and look how many people are loathe to upgrade from 7. Heck, some people didn't like that iTunes 11 hid the sidebar automatically.

monaarts
Jun 5, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hey, Microsoft didn't make drastic changes to the look of Windows until 8, and look how many people are loathe to upgrade from 7. Heck, some people didn't like that iTunes 11 hid the sidebar automatically.

No - people hate Windows 8 because of the UI is awful! Where is the start button!? :rolleyes:

maxosx
Jun 5, 2013, 01:39 PM
we have no idea what it'll look like.
Finally... the voice of reason.

How refreshing!

----------

Where is the start button!? :rolleyes:
It's back.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 5, 2013, 01:49 PM

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/os_change.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/35m42sl.jpg

Still a lot flatter.....
(And why are you living in 2011, its 2013!)

KUguardgrl13
Jun 5, 2013, 01:53 PM
Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/os_change.jpg)
Image (http://i41.tinypic.com/35m42sl.jpg)

Still a lot flatter.....
(And why are you living in 2011, its 2013!)

I'm a student. Can't afford a new computer and don't quite have the funds to upgrade RAM to get 10.8.

whocaresit
Jun 5, 2013, 02:56 PM
You're not alone. There is some staunch opposition against Flat UI by Lord Ivy from the Loyalists! :eek:

cmChimera
Jun 5, 2013, 04:18 PM
You're not alone. There is some staunch opposition against Flat UI by Lord Ivy from the Loyalists! :eek:

Except you have no clue what you're talking about. You don't even know what you're opposing.

xcodeaddict
Jun 5, 2013, 04:26 PM

You use the word "hate" way too much to be taken seriously. You haven't even seen iOS 7 yet - chill out and do something different to take your mind off the "hate".

whocaresit
Jun 5, 2013, 04:31 PM
Except you have no clue what you're talking about. You don't even know what you're opposing.

Based on what's known so far from the leaks and rumors: there will be no textures (linen, diagonal stripes). No gloss. No more great looking dock. Buttons don't look as defined. Tab bars are flatter and not indented when selected.

To sum up, every app looks plain black and white with some colors sprinkled here and there. (Like Passbook). Notes app won't look like sticky notes.. No more text bubbles in messages app. General lack of liveliness in UIs.

I'm fairly certain people know what they're talking about when referring to Flatter UIs.

xcodeaddict
Jun 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
I'm VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY certain of one thing about iOS 7, with 100% confidence...

Noone has seen it yet, NOONE. All the guessing is pointless, and all the people saying they are "certain of one thing..." are only certain to be disappointed, and to be handed a nice wet flannel to wipe the egg from their faces.

cmChimera
Jun 5, 2013, 04:51 PM
Based on what's known so far from the leaks and rumors: there will be no textures (linen, diagonal stripes). No gloss. No more great looking dock. Buttons don't look as defined. Tab bars are flatter and not indented when selected.

To sum up, every app looks plain black and white with some colors sprinkled here and there. (Like Passbook). Notes app won't look like sticky notes.. No more text bubbles in messages app. General lack of liveliness in UIs.

I'm fairly certain people know what they're talking about when referring to Flatter UIs.

Take a xanax and realize that everything you're saying is based on rumors and speculation. Wait and see the OS before complaining about what it looks like.

Smith288
Jun 5, 2013, 04:59 PM
So many on the ledge. It's gonna be ok folks.

Todd B.
Jun 5, 2013, 07:06 PM

Not that I think it *will* be flat but you're not alone.

Flat design is synonymous with lazy designer.

I'm VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY certain of one thing about iOS 7, with 100% confidence...

There's a 100% chance that no matter what Apple announces, the tech blogs and commenters will scream "but, but... Google, Google, Google. Apple is done. Sky is falling".

So predictable.

xcodeaddict
Jun 5, 2013, 07:18 PM

There's a 100% chance that no matter what Apple announces, the tech blogs and commenters will scream "but, but... Google, Google, Google. Apple is done. Sky is falling".

So predictable.

I know, it's childish, obvious and tedious. I just want to scream "SHUT UPPPPPPPPP YOU GOONS!!" :D

Negative press (IE: being a totally lazy journalist) seems to sell, which is sad, as positive, happy stories are FAR better for the heart :)

[EDIT]:

I wait for the phrase "iPhone killer" to be used, then laugh with despair at the sheer ineptitude of the person using it. Next up, will be "revolutionary" and "a game changer".

Yeah, whatever... how about a record changer, as-in change the record, it's cracked! :D

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 6, 2013, 01:54 AM

So predictable.

Which is funny because as many have pointed out OS X has been moving towards flat since its inception.

I envision a unified look and feel. I expect X.9 to continue to get flat (though I think that they bring back the colors in areas like the favorites bar - after all flat doesn't mean colorless or drab) and iOS to move towards that look and feel.

BlaqkAudio
Jun 6, 2013, 02:28 AM

Yeah, not really. (http://fltdsgn.com/)

Ddyracer
Jun 6, 2013, 04:13 AM
im kind of indifferent, however i kinda like it the way it is now. im also usually against change in general, so i could really care less what it looks like in the end.

If you're against change why would you care less? Shouldn't you care more?

redbeard331
Jun 6, 2013, 05:07 AM

I with you, iOS needs more functionality, these flat mock-ups remind me of something created by kids with crayons on white paper, which is why so many people can't stand how windows 8 looks. I just can't imagine Apple doing that to the iPhone.:eek:

Drunken Master
Jun 6, 2013, 05:24 AM

So predictable.

Heavy gradients are a thing of the past, deal with it.

Honestly, this crusade against flat seems to be perpetrated by people with little taste or design sense.

Todd B.
Jun 6, 2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah, not really. (http://fltdsgn.com/)

Was that supposed to be an argument against flat design being lazy because it didn't work - all I saw was a gallery lazy, uninspired, and bland designs.

Honestly, this crusade against flat seems to be perpetrated by people with little taste or design sense.

No, it's "perpetrated" by people that have the common sense to realise that slapping a bunch of rectangles on a page with no colour isn't a viable sense of design.

BlaqkAudio
Jun 6, 2013, 11:53 AM
Was that supposed to be an argument against flat design being lazy because it didn't work - all I saw was a gallery lazy, uninspired, and bland designs.

No, it's "perpetrated" by people that have the common sense to realise that slapping a bunch of rectangles on a page with no colour isn't a viable sense of design.
Common sense? Just because you think flat design is "lazy" doesn't mean it isn't viable. You obviously have no concept of minimalism.

Todd B.
Jun 6, 2013, 11:55 AM
Common sense? Just because you think flat design is "lazy" doesn't mean it isn't viable. You obviously have no concept of minimalism.

Minimalism = lazy.

Smith288
Jun 6, 2013, 12:51 PM
Minimalism = lazy.

Your opinion doesn't make something fact.

You are basically saying, a design that has multitudes of layers to the point of chaotic is better than minimal with clean lines and solid colors. I think the world of design has a few things to argue about that.

BlaqkAudio
Jun 6, 2013, 01:33 PM
Minimalism = lazy.
Uh huh. So you'd rather have something that's overcrowded and layered with unnecessary gloss? Good thing you're not a graphic designer.

cmChimera
Jun 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
Minimalism = lazy.

You must hate the Macbook Pro then....Or pretty much every Apple product.

Small White Car
Jun 6, 2013, 01:53 PM

BS

Go get the Yahoo Weather app, check out the wind, precipitation, and the Sun & Moon and then come back and tell us you think it looks like a lazy designer made it.

Is all flat design good? Obviously not. But your sweeping statement is absurd.

xcodeaddict
Jun 6, 2013, 03:32 PM

More/Less/Slightly more?

Watch --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

PS: MacRumors is hilarious, because everyone speaks as if they are a prophet with divine wisdom, and know best. If people were less snotty and arrogant, this forum would be more tolerable.

Human pride - SO very ugly.

iPhone4Jay
Jun 6, 2013, 03:34 PM
Do you think Snap Chat has a heads up on the FLAT design? Look at the newest update of their app. Very Flat totally different experience.

Ddyracer
Jun 6, 2013, 03:42 PM
More/Less/Slightly more?

Watch --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

PS: MacRumors is hilarious, because everyone speaks as if they are a prophet with divine wisdom, and know best. If people were less snotty and arrogant, this forum would be more tolerable.

Human pride - SO very ugly.

I agree. I wasn't trying to be snotty though, just wondering.

xcodeaddict
Jun 6, 2013, 04:07 PM
I agree. I wasn't trying to be snotty though, just wondering.

:D Oh, no - I wasn't referring to you! Also, watch the video if you get time - it's funny because it is SO true :)

Take care

dictoresno
Jun 6, 2013, 06:51 PM

i said usually, not 100% of the time lol. and i know its gonna happen regardless, so i learned not to care anymore about it.

Drunken Master
Jun 6, 2013, 07:09 PM
Minimalism = lazy.

You know, some days I wake up in the morning and come here to read the intelligent posts.

You're not really helping me out here.

vvswarup
Jun 6, 2013, 08:58 PM

Skeuomorphism in iOS has gotten totally out of hand. It has gotten to a point where the app lose functionality. The contacts app looks like a book on the iPad. That design paradigm limits the potential functionality of a contacts app. Same story with the Reminders app and the Notes app.

joejoejoe
Jun 7, 2013, 03:53 PM

No, you absolutely do not know what you're talking about. Nothing has been shown yet. You're making yourself miserable all over this forum over something that hasn't happened yet.

I love talking with people who come from different perspectives and have different opinions, there's a lot of benefit to skeumorphism, sure, and it's added a lot of magic that people have fallen in love with iOS for. I think these are the things you're worried about losing.

Time will tell on Monday what will actually go down. If the past several decades of this company's business practices and history are any indication, they will show us a tempered update on Monday, not one that will completely overhaul everything they've been doing and that's made iOS so successful over the past 6 years or so.

So for now, I recommend you don't go into panic mode and wait till Monday to see what happens. If this is a huge issue for you, I'm pretty positive you could jailbreak your device and slap on a skin that will bring back all the skeumorphic magic you're afraid of losing.

Oh, and lastly, there's always the solution to not update. That should pretty much solve every single one of your concerns.

53kyle
Jun 7, 2013, 04:15 PM
Do you like these concepts? I do!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1585895

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 7, 2013, 04:46 PM
One thing I find interesting was the report that Apple has been playing around with the idea of motion based icon visuals similar to what the volume slider does in iOS 6.

Continued development of such a feature as well as its very existence contradicts what everyone is assuming Apple means by going towards "flat" design.

We have heard whispers that Apple is testing new technologies could move on-screen objects based on the iOS device hardware being moved in-air. For example, app icons could slightly shift depending on the angle that the iPhone is being in held. The technology is similar to what allows the iOS 6 volume controls to rotate based on the iPhone being moved. We are not sure if this feature will make the cut for iOS 7, but the development of this technology is nonetheless intriguing.
http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/06/wwdc-2013-roundup-ios-7-os-x-10-9-macbooks-genius-like-radio-app-plus-new-tidbits/

tech4all
Jun 7, 2013, 11:21 PM

So predictable.

That comment is synonymous with ignorance. :rolleyes:

Minimalism = lazy.

Let me guess you like gradients, outer glows, bevel and emboss plastered all over the place...

Saying minimalism is laziness is very ignorant. Try telling that to professional designers. There's a saying: less=more.

Minimalism requires using the elements of design including, shapes, colors, typography, proportions, repetition / rhythm, lines, etc. Just because it looks simple and flat doesn't mean thought wasn't put into it.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Going by your post history, I'm not surprised by your comments. I bet if/when Apple goes flat and Google were to go glossy and what not, you would all of the sudden love flat design because Apple does it.

GenesisST
Jun 8, 2013, 08:11 PM
It worries me a wee bit, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it. I do dislike skeuomorphism... reminds me of old station wagon with wood paneling...

But I digress...

Remember that Coke recovered from the New Coke...

whocaresit
Jun 8, 2013, 08:34 PM
It worries me a wee bit, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it. I do dislike skeuomorphism... reminds me of old station wagon with wood paneling...

But I digress...

Remember that Coke recovered from the New Coke...

They didn't recover.. they reverted back to classic.

Sonnestah
Jun 8, 2013, 08:57 PM
Minimalism = lazy.

Thats why you're not a designer :p

Todd B.
Jun 9, 2013, 07:59 AM
EDIT: Going by your post history, I'm not surprised by your comments. I bet if/when Apple goes flat and Google were to go glossy and what not, you would all of the sudden love flat design because Apple does it.

*IF* Apple went with a boring, uninspired design, it would be a mistake. If Google actually hired a competent designer and came up with something nice, it would be a good step.

I doubt that Apple is going to throw everything they were based around out the window in favour of the current hipster trend of flat "design", though.

Thats why you're not a designer :p

No, that's why I'm not a hipster latching on to a flawed "design fad".

GenesisST
Jun 9, 2013, 12:21 PM
They didn't recover.. they reverted back to classic.

Sigh... I know that... I was a teenager during that time and I did hate the new Coke.

Can't one write a tongue in cheek comment without having it verified by 3 lawyers anymore? ;)

KUguardgrl13
Jun 10, 2013, 11:37 PM
OP here. So I hate to resurrect this thread, but, I thought I'd let you all know that iOS 7 isn't as bad as I thought it would be before WWDC. As some of you said, I should've waited until today to make a judgment.