PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV or Airport Express for streaming music

PastFuture
Jun 5, 2013, 10:26 AM
I would like to stream music from my MBP and iPhone to my home stereo, which doesn't have Apple's airplay built in. Now I am wondering whether to buy an Apple TV or rather an Airport Express to connect to my receiver. The receiver has the necessary inputs for both devices.

Any thoughts, which one would be the better choice?

Thanks!

Tomorrow
Jun 5, 2013, 02:15 PM
I would like to stream music from my MBP and iPhone to my home stereo, which doesn't have Apple's airplay built in. Now I am wondering whether to buy an Apple TV or rather an Airport Express to connect to my receiver. The receiver has the necessary inputs for both devices.

Thanks!

Either would work, I believe - but if you think you might ever consider connecting a TV to your receiver, I'd go with the Apple TV. Otherwise, I'd go with the Airport Express, simply because it's a little better configured to work without a screen to see what you're doing.

ChrisA
Jun 5, 2013, 04:28 PM

Thanks!

The "express" is audio-only. So you will not see screen sharing options on your devices and not be able to see the screen. The express also lets you use Ethernet and I think, a printer too.