PDA

View Full Version : Plex Releases Client for Non-Jailbroken Apple TVs

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2013, 11:59 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/plex-releases-client-for-non-jailbroken-apple-tvs/)

Plex, the advanced server-client media player, has released a new client (http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/) for the Apple TV -- however, unlike the existing ATV client (http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_Client_ATV), this one does not require the device to be jailbroken.

Plex allows users to store movie and TV show files on a server and then view those files on a wide variety of client devices including Macs, PCs, a number of smart televisions, the Roku box and the Apple TV. The server also connects to Internet databases to pull IMDB-type metadata on media.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/plexconnect.jpg
The client, called PlexConnect (http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/), uses a hack to get video from the Plex Media Server onto the Apple TV. A small Python program on the Mac intercepts DNS requests from the Movie Trailers app on the Apple TV and instead returns a custom XML feed that delivers a list of media and movie streams to the device.

From the Plex blog post announcing the program (http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/):
Enter PlexConnect (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/136-appletv-plexconnect/). The brainchild of Baa (https://github.com/iBaa/), roidy (https://github.com/roidy) and f00b4r (https://github.com/finkdiff), it's a super clever little hack which allows a rich, fully-functional Plex client on un-jailbroken ATV2 and ATV3 (1080p!) devices. Essentially, you run a program on your computer which masquerades as the Trailer app. Next, change one setting on the ATV, and you're up and running. It took me less than 2 minutes to install and get it running. It already uses the new transcoder (which means great support for subtitles), and I suspect it'll support myPlex soon as well. In the PlexPass preview release (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/62832-plex-media-server/?p=402077) of the media server, it also supports AC3 5.1 (remuxing and transcoding from DTS). Another cool thing: it supports iTunes DRM'ed video files.

Unlike the other Plex client for ATV2, this one uses XML and Javascript, which means it's super easy to develop for. We can only hope that Apple opens up their App Store to these ATV "widgets" at some point. Another cool thing: it supports iTunes DRM'ed video files.Currently, PlexConnect runs within a terminal window on the Mac, making it tricky for novice users to set up. The team is working on making it easier to install for future releases.

There is a PlexConnect wiki (https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki) with installation guides and more information, and the Plex website (http://plexapp.com) has more information about the program as a whole.

Article Link: Plex Releases Client for Non-Jailbroken Apple TVs (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/plex-releases-client-for-non-jailbroken-apple-tvs/)

gotluck
Jun 5, 2013, 12:05 PM
The ATV3 just got a whole lot better. Wonder if this will drop ATV2 prices..

CrystalPepsi
Unfortunately, this pseudo-exploit will be patched in 3..2...1... Apple get their act together with whipping up some Apis for this thing.

karan1686
Works as advertised. Some things missing, but overall really good.

vmachiel
Pretty nifty:) I hope Apple finally allows for Apps on Apple tv next week though

New Account
Jun 5, 2013, 12:09 PM
I am a bit confused here - how is this different than applications such as Beamer, AirParrot etc.?

Wildog27
Jun 5, 2013, 12:15 PM
One of my biggest wishes for WWDC is for iTunes/AppleTV to be able to play MKVs. I doubt that will happen, but I'll probably give this a try.

portishead
Jun 5, 2013, 12:16 PM
That's cool, but I don't want to transcode. I do love Plex though, they really should make their own hardware. I'd buy one in a second.

jclardy
Jun 5, 2013, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, this pseudo-exploit will be patched in 3..2...1... Apple get their act together with whipping up some Apis for this thing.

I don't think they will - setting DNS server is kind of an important feature for many people. And the "exploit" is just rerouting all traffic through your mac which then either gives you the local content or something from the internet.

GenesisST
Jun 5, 2013, 12:17 PM
One of my biggest wishes for WWDC is for iTunes/AppleTV to be able to play MKVs. I doubt that will happen, but I'll probably give this a try.

You can easily whip up an MP4 from a MKV using the Subler app. No reencoding necessary when the MKV is H.264 (not sure if MKV supports other codecs). It is a matter of about a few minutes for an hour long TV show on my 3-year old MBP.

Still... annoying to have to do this...

mic j
Jun 5, 2013, 12:24 PM
...when the MKV is not H.264 if even possible.
Huh? Are you saying Subler can convert an MKV that does not use the h.264 codec to an mp4?

itcomesinwaves
Jun 5, 2013, 12:24 PM
I am a bit confused here - how is this different than applications such as Beamer, AirParrot etc.?

Applications like Beamer require you to browse the files while sitting at your computer. This Plex app runs on the computer but lets you navigate your files using the AppleTV interface (ie the remote). It's a lot like going to the green 'Computers' icon on the AppleTV (which lets you browse a computer's iTunes library), but it works with many more file types.

GenesisST
Jun 5, 2013, 12:32 PM
Huh? Are you saying Subler can convert an MKV that does not use the h.264 codec to an mp4?

nope... I've rephrased... I was saying that when the video is H.264 in the MKV there is no reencoding necessary, just repackage the file as a .mp4. I wanted to say that I'm not certain if MKV supports other encoding at all.

Sorry, for the mess...

Wombert
Jun 5, 2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think they will - setting DNS server is kind of an important feature for many people. And the "exploit" is just rerouting all traffic through your mac which then either gives you the local content or something from the internet.

They could switch to using HTTPS for downloading the feed, that would be enough to kill the "exploit".

I hope they don't, though :)

Narial Taster
Jun 5, 2013, 12:48 PM
You can easily whip up an MP4 from a MKV using the Subler app. No reencoding necessary when the MKV is H.264 (not sure if MKV supports other codecs). It is a matter of about a few minutes for an hour long TV show on my 3-year old MBP.

Much, MUCH easier to use Beamer. They have a free trial that you can check out.

mic j
Jun 5, 2013, 12:51 PM
nope... I've rephrased... I was saying that when the video is H.264 in the MKV there is no reencoding necessary, just repackage the file as a .mp4. I wanted to say that I'm not certain if MKV supports other encoding at all.

Sorry, for the mess...
You are forgiven. Go say 3 hail Mary's and 3 Our Fathers, my son. :)

Just wanting to make sure there was not some new development I was unaware of.

mic j
Jun 5, 2013, 01:14 PM
Much, MUCH easier to use Beamer. They have a free trial that you can check out.
I would say it's much easier not to have a computer sitting on your lap and using the Finder to find the movie you want to watch. IMHO

sfrancis928
Jun 5, 2013, 01:22 PM

I have never gotten Subler to work correctly. The audio and video always get out of sync. And it doesn't work in Mountain Lion at all anyway.

yegon
Jun 5, 2013, 01:33 PM
Eh? I've been using Subler in ML for aaaaaages, works perfectly.

GenesisST
Jun 5, 2013, 01:38 PM
I have never gotten Subler to work correctly. The audio and video always get out of sync. And it doesn't work in Mountain Lion at all anyway.

Weird... works for me... But good to learn of a new option: Beamer.

cclloyd
Jun 5, 2013, 01:41 PM
Couldn't get it to work, even after disabling websites and dns in OS X Server. Oh well. I hope they release an API for an app store for ATV soon. It's not like the ATV is a big hacking target (other than jailbreakers)

Tilpots
Jun 5, 2013, 01:49 PM
Sounds cool. Don't have an ATV but glad people are tryin to make it more useful.

yegon
Jun 5, 2013, 01:52 PM
And it doesn't work in Mountain Lion at all anyway.

It definitely works under ML, although it just occurred to me that you have do the following to fix it. It's that long ago I did this, and I've used it so much, I'd completely forgot it didn't work initially;

http://code.google.com/p/subler/issues/detail?id=404

wiz329
Jun 5, 2013, 02:02 PM

I highly doubt that will happen. 99% of .mkvs are pirated in my experience. If you're ripping your own movies, why wouldn't you just encode them using .mp4? As far as I know, there is no advantage to using .mkv over .mp4, especially since handbrake added DTS passthru support for .mp4 last year.

----------

I've never used Subler, but MP4 tools and MKV tools work great for me.

KhrisGarcia
Jun 5, 2013, 02:10 PM
I've been running this for a week now and it's awesome. The simplicity of having everything right on the Apple TV is great. I also prefer the ATV remote over my clumsy Logitech K400 keyboard.

Previously I was using Airplay from the Plex client on iPad. This eats up wifi bandwidth and we have multiple clients in the house. Plus it was clumsy like the k400 keyboard. Too big. Everything should be on the main screen with a simple remote. Meaning no Beamer.

silvetti
Jun 5, 2013, 02:34 PM

What software (for windows) can i use to do this ?

I always re-encode with handbrake and it takes AGES :(

gotluck
Jun 5, 2013, 02:41 PM

I'm curious about this too.

yegon
Jun 5, 2013, 03:00 PM

I used a prog called mkv2vob in times past, don't know what kind of state it's in these days though, I've been using Subler/mac for years now.

knemonic
Jun 5, 2013, 03:31 PM
Anyone that has installed it, are you able to access the Plex Apps through the ATV?

I would love to be able to use the Daily Show app that Plex has because it's not worth paying for 10 episodes of the show when you can watch it for free on Hulu, and it is not even a 20 min show.

Finiksa
Jun 5, 2013, 03:38 PM

I use XMedia Recode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMedia_Recode). It looks complex but it's pretty simple, do some Googling there are a few good guides online showing how to use it to rewrap a video without transcoding, though with a lot of MKVs you'll need to transcode the audio stream but that takes only minutes.

hkenneth
Jun 5, 2013, 04:16 PM

I don't think mp4 support internal subtitles. My mum cannot understand English, so I need subtitle support.

KhrisGarcia
Jun 5, 2013, 04:30 PM
Anyone that has installed it, are you able to access the Plex Apps through the ATV?

I would love to be able to use the Daily Show app that Plex has because it's not worth paying for 10 episodes of the show when you can watch it for free on Hulu, and it is not even a 20 min show.

The Apps/channels show up but I've only tested the Plex Apple Trailers channel, which worked. Word is that not all the channels work. I have the daily show installed and I can try it for you when I get home. I'm also going to update Plex Connect to the version that has the new menu system.

----------

I use mp4tools for already compressed MKVs.

MKV --> mp4tools --> Subler --> Plex Media Server

For my Blu-Ray collection I use handbrake.

Blu-Ray --> MakeMKV --> Handbrake (ATV3 + RF19) --> Subler --> Plex Media Server

I ripped half of my collection using a Intel G630. That's 2 movies per day.... very slow. My new 3770K will do them in 2hrs. ;-)

knemonic
Jun 5, 2013, 04:43 PM
The Apps/channels show up but I've only tested the Plex Apple Trailers channel, which worked. Word is that not all the channels work. I have the daily show installed and I can try it for you when I get home. I'm also going to update Plex Connect to the version that has the new menu system.

----------

I use mp4tools for already compressed MKVs.

MKV --> mp4tools --> Subler --> Plex Media Server

For my Blu-Ray collection I use handbrake.

Blu-Ray --> MakeMKV --> Handbrake (ATV3 + RF19) --> Subler --> Plex Media Server

I ripped half of my collection using a Intel G630. That's 2 movies per day.... very slow. My new 3770K will do them in 2hrs. ;-)

Thanks!

It's been a while since I used plex and couldn't remember how it works in terms of the apps/channels. Like, if both the server and client are installed on the same machine, would those apps/channels installed on the client show up elsewhere n such.

f00b4r
Jun 5, 2013, 05:46 PM
They could switch to using HTTPS for downloading the feed, that would be enough to kill the "exploit".

I hope they don't, though :)

True they could do this but the side effect of this might be to kill the trailers app on all the other firmware versions.
Also it would be mean spirited as trailers does not carry any sensitive information.

silvetti
Jun 5, 2013, 06:29 PM
I don't think mp4 support internal subtitles. My mum cannot understand English, so I need subtitle support.

They do, I used handbrake and hard coded them on the file.

----------

I use XMedia Recode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMedia_Recode). It looks complex but it's pretty simple, do some Googling there are a few good guides online showing how to use it to rewrap a video without transcoding, though with a lot of MKVs you'll need to transcode the audio stream but that takes only minutes.

I will check this, thanks!

Tilpots
Jun 5, 2013, 07:54 PM
True they could do this but the side effect of this might be to kill the trailers app on all the other firmware versions.
Also it would be mean spirited as trailers does not carry any sensitive information.

Thanks for the hardwork.

Can you give any insight into which Apps work thru this method? ESPN3 would be my most important.

Kar98
Jun 5, 2013, 08:48 PM
A small Python program on the Mac intercepts DNS requests...

Oh yeah, /that's/ gonna last long... :rolleyes:

vista.john
Jun 5, 2013, 09:23 PM
The Chinese Apple tv hacking community has been doing this for quite a while with a little bit different strategy, but a lot easier for beginners. They developed web-servers for the hijacked atV DNS. A bit risky, but certainly works. Here is one piece of information I found (in Chinese... :rolleyes: ).

http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-5145381.html

a0me
Jun 5, 2013, 11:31 PM
Do you mean that Subler doesn't work or does the issue only happen with MKV files? With Subler, I have (almost) never had any issues with adding subtitles to a MP4 video.

a0me
Jun 6, 2013, 12:20 AM
I hear that a lot, but is there any particular reason for using MKV files outside of pirated movies and TV shows? Is there any example of legitimate use for the format?

JGRE
Jun 6, 2013, 02:37 AM

Beamer App already plays MKV (including DTS) without hacking or jailbraking the ATV. Give it a try.

----------

The only difference I see is, that with both Beamer and Airparrot you start a movie from your OSX device (Beamer drag and drop interface) while with Flex you can acces your libarary and start the movie right from the ATV (you still need to have the OSX device running in the back ground).
It is a little plus over Beamer and Airparrot, but not enough to get excited about.

----------

You don't just use Beamer........

----------

I hear that a lot, but is there any particular reason for using MKV files outside of pirated movies and TV shows? Is there any example of legitimate use for the format?

MKV is just a container file, it is not a video format.

a0me
Jun 6, 2013, 03:29 AM
MKV is just a container file, it is not a video format.
OK, but as I said is there any particular reason for using MKV files outside of pirated movies and TV shows? Is there any example of legitimate use for this type of files?

KhrisGarcia
Jun 6, 2013, 07:10 AM
Beamer App already plays MKV (including DTS) without hacking or jailbraking the ATV. Give it a try.

----------

The only difference I see is, that with both Beamer and Airparrot you start a movie from your OSX device (Beamer drag and drop interface) while with Flex you can acces your libarary and start the movie right from the ATV (you still need to have the OSX device running in the back ground).
It is a little plus over Beamer and Airparrot, but not enough to get excited about.[COLOR="#808080"]

There's a lot more to Plex (not Flex) then Beamer or airparror. If you only want to stream a few movies here or there then Plex is probably not a good option. Plex is HTPC at its root. This is just one small third-party feature.

----------

OK, but as I said is there any particular reason for using MKV files outside of pirated movies and TV shows? Is there any example of legitimate use for this type of files?

If you're ripping your Blu-ray collection with MakeMKV and not re-encoding to mp4/m4v with handbrake. You can then keep the MKV and it would be the same exact quality as it was on the actual Blu-ray Disc (unless the Blu-ray video is vc1 then you'll want to re-encode).

Sharkus
Jun 6, 2013, 08:00 AM
I gave this a try last night. Hit a couple of snags; I was already running a webserver on port 80, so had to kill that, then got an error about port 53. managed to munge my DNS, but restored a file back (thanks time machine!) and got it all working.

It's not too user friendly at the moment, having to edit a pref file and then run via terminal, but I'm sure an app wrapper will appear shortly to fix that.

When you think about what is being done the question of "why didn't anyone think of that sooner?" pops up.

I purchased an ATV 3rd Gen shortly after they came out, mainly with the idea of putting XBMC on it, as I had done with my ATV 1, so I can watch / listen to the existing media I have in the format they are already in, and not have to re-encode / re-rip so that I can then add it to iTunes (if only adding the reference to the Library and not the file itself).
As we know, that isn't currently possible, nor likely to be any time soon, so I started to use Plex with my 'smart' Blu-Ray player to get similar functionality.

CrazyNurse
Jun 6, 2013, 08:47 AM
Will this or Beamer let me access a JBOD full of ISOs hooked up to my mac mini?

JGRE
Jun 6, 2013, 09:06 AM

It is just a container file using less space similar as a zip file for apps.

----------

There's a lot more to Plex (not Flex) then Beamer or airparror. If you only want to stream a few movies here or there then Plex is probably not a good option. Plex is HTPC at its root. This is just one small third-party feature.[COLOR="#808080"]

Right Plex..... XMBC (64bit compared to Plex 32-bit) on my Macbook but just for curiosity.....I just don't know what to think of it. What does it actually do, what Beamer (Video) and Vox (Music) cannot do beside a weather channel?

----------

[QUOTE=CrazyNurse;17360815]Will this or Beamer let me access a JBOD full of ISOs hooked up to my mac mini?

No, I don't think it can play iso's.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 6, 2013, 11:23 AM
I use the vlc streamer app but I'll give this a try too.

KhrisGarcia
Jun 6, 2013, 11:29 AM
Right Plex..... XMBC (64bit compared to Plex 32-bit) on my Macbook but just for curiosity.....I just don't know what to think of it. What does it actually do, what Beamer (Video) and Vox (Music) cannot do beside a weather channel?

If you're running XBMC then you wouldn't need Plex. They're both media centers. I run Plex Media Server on a headless hackintosh that serves out our family's entire Blu-ray collection. We have two teenagers who are the primary users. All in all we have the plex client on 2 MacBooks, a Windows 7 PC, an iPad, and now the Apple TV3 hack in the living room connected to the HD projector. I'd like to get the kids ATV3s for their rooms so they don't have to use their computers for Netflix, Hulu and Plex when friends are over. Seems like their bigger TVs just sit there doing nothing these days. PlexPass is also another nice feature that allows syncing for when you're on the road. Plan to use that this summer and best of all my daughter can do it herself.

It's all about simplicity. There's a lot of options out there and there's no wrong way to go about it. Before moving to Plex I used simple iTunes home sharing with the ATV3. That was before I ripped a cabinet full of movies. Whatever works for you.

imladris
Jun 6, 2013, 01:54 PM

As I remember it, the MKV container is more flexible in what it can contain than what the MP4 container is. For example, the MP4 container only supports the 3gpp (tx3g) subtitle format. This isn't convenient when the discs you rip have subtitles in vobsub or pgs format, i.e. bitmap formats – OCR is not reliable.

Also, MKV is open and free, which is nice.

chuckiej
Jun 6, 2013, 02:17 PM

Ripping your own Blu-Rays. I have zero illegitimate content on my Plex Server. My Blu-rays go to my closet for safe-keeping. The MKVs are huge though and add up fast so Handbrake really is needed at some point.

knemonic
Jun 6, 2013, 04:03 PM
If you're running XBMC then you wouldn't need Plex. They're both media centers. I run Plex Media Server on a headless hackintosh that serves out our family's entire Blu-ray collection. We have two teenagers who are the primary users. All in all we have the plex client on 2 MacBooks, a Windows 7 PC, an iPad, and now the Apple TV3 hack in the living room connected to the HD projector. I'd like to get the kids ATV3s for their rooms so they don't have to use their computers for Netflix, Hulu and Plex when friends are over. Seems like their bigger TVs just sit there doing nothing these days. PlexPass is also another nice feature that allows syncing for when you're on the road. Plan to use that this summer and best of all my daughter can do it herself.

It's all about simplicity. There's a lot of options out there and there's no wrong way to go about it. Before moving to Plex I used simple iTunes home sharing with the ATV3. That was before I ripped a cabinet full of movies. Whatever works for you.

Hi, were you able to confirm if the apps/channels were available on your ATV with the hack?

a0me
Jun 6, 2013, 09:56 PM
As I remember it, the MKV container is more flexible in what it can contain than what the MP4 container is. For example, the MP4 container only supports the 3gpp (tx3g) subtitle format. This isn't convenient when the discs you rip have subtitles in vobsub or pgs format, i.e. bitmap formats OCR is not reliable.

Also, MKV is open and free, which is nice.
You can easily add subtitles to MP4 files using Subler (https://code.google.com/p/subler/) which ensure compatibility with all Apple's devices without having to convert the video or hack/trick your Apple TV.

KhrisGarcia
Jun 7, 2013, 01:44 PM
Hi, were you able to confirm if the apps/channels were available on your ATV with the hack?

New baby in the house.. didn't get a chance to try it. I'll be firing up the projector tonight though. ;-)

kudukudu
Jun 7, 2013, 04:09 PM
Am I missing something here? If I reconfigure the DNS on my ATV to point to my desktop which houses all of my movies, how the heck am I going to access Netflix? If I have to reconfigure the DNS every time I need to make a decision between local and internet, this would be a royal pain in the you know what.

a0me
Jun 8, 2013, 01:04 AM
Ripping your own Blu-Rays. I have zero illegitimate content on my Plex Server. My Blu-rays go to my closet for safe-keeping. The MKVs are huge though and add up fast so Handbrake really is needed at some point.
I wasn't implying that you were pirating content -although in some countries such as Japan, ripping your own DVDs is illegal and can get you a 2-year term in jail- but I was just really curious to know if there was any commercial use for MKV? As far as I know, Amazon, Apple and Google Play all use MP4 and WMV exclusively, and since Apple is not well known for supporting "fringe" or "enthusiast" formats (FLAC on iTunes for example) it seems very unlikely that they'll ever support MKV. Is there any benefits of ripping to MKV instead of MP4 for users of Apple products?

Che Castro
Jun 8, 2013, 02:29 PM
You can easily add subtitles to MP4 files using Subler (https://code.google.com/p/subler/) which ensure compatibility with all Apple's devices without having to convert the video or hack/trick your Apple TV.

Or with mkvtools or mp4tools you can add the subtitles

brettO5
Jun 10, 2013, 04:51 AM
When installing following the instructions in the wiki for ATV2 connected via ethernet to OSX, I am getting the following error in Terminal. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

DNSServer : Failed to create socket on UDP port 53: [Errno 48] Address already in use
PlexConnect : DNSServer not alive. Shutting down.

Cheers, Brett

institute
Jun 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
I have been using Plexconnect for a couple weeks and it works very well. It handles all of my movies and TV Shows easily.

As for Channels, some work and some don't as the developers haven't really looked into channel support yet, though they intend to. Channels that work include TWiT.tv, IMDB trailers, Daily Show, Colbert Report, PBS, History Channel. Others will give an interface and list shows and allow search but usually will not play the media files themselves. Channels that don't work yet include NBC, CBS, SSPlex, IceFilms, LetMeWatchThis amongst others.

Someone mentioned being concerned about using Netflix and other apps on the ATV at the same time that Plexconnect is running. This is not a problem as Plexconnect sends every non Trailer.app URL onto another DNS that allows them to connect. For example, I use UnBlock-us and can enter their DNS in Plexconnect and still get US Netflix (in Canada).

TomiY1
Jun 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
Has anyone here noticed audio/video syncing issues with bigger 1080p MKV video files? I'm using the 1080p@40mbps option with my appletv3 with a gigabit LAN connection over my RAID5 drive filled with MKV's. What happens at first is the video and audio are in sync, and then it slowly gets out of wack and its not watchable because its so off.

afinch1992
Jun 13, 2013, 09:38 AM
great service. I have had plex set up on my roku 3 since the day I got it and watch shows periodically on my phone

mig0
Jun 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
I've been running the plex server on my mac mini and while not using my apple tv, python's been consuming crazy resources on my mac. Is this typical?

neo179neo
Jun 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
Just a quick question...

Ive installed this and it works beautiful... do i have to keep terminal running at all times running the pythin script thing to keep this working?

Ben1l
Jun 14, 2013, 01:29 PM
I've got this working, but the quality of the video appears to be really bad, even though the source files look great. Even when I watch the same files on the plex Iphone app then airplay it up on the Apple tv it looks good.

Any Ideas how to increase the quality while using this client??

----------

Just a quick question...

Ive installed this and it works beautiful... do i have to keep terminal running at all times running the pythin script thing to keep this working?

I think so, I shut down terminal and had to redo the process to get it working again. Would be curious to know if anyone finds a way of fixing this!

Ludatyk
Jun 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
On the instructions for Terminal you type "cd" and you drag the PlexConnect-XML_templates folder over?

Is that what I'm suppose to be doing... because I'm getting no such file or directory.

I've gotten the DNS part right... just not so sure about the Terminal part of the method.

brettO5
Jun 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
On the instructions for Terminal you type "cd" and you drag the PlexConnect-XML_templates folder over?

Is that what I'm suppose to be doing... because I'm getting no such file or directory.

I've gotten the DNS part right... just not so sure about the Terminal part of the method.

Make sure you type 'cd' followed by a space before you drag the folder over.

imladris
Jul 3, 2013, 03:53 AM

Sorry to come in so late; I forgot about this thread.

Although what you say is correct in some sense, it hardly relates at all with my post that you quoted. As far as I know, the MP4 file format does not support PGS or VOBSUB subtitles. Also, even if it did, Apple's devices don't support these subtitle formats. I would be very happy if you proved me wrong on this.

For this reason, and some others, I use Plex. I can keep the original media and it converts it on the fly for Apple's devices, if needed. For my use cases it is more convenient.

(I have tried Subler's OCR for PGS and it doesn't work well enough to be useable.)