Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hi, not sure if this will be of any use to someone but i was in a great position to compare new and old - I sold my PowerMac 2.3Ghz Dual Proc system to get a new Dual-Core 2.3 for PCIexpress as well as other things. Both have the same amount of RAM too (1.5GB) but the newer system has a Geforce 6600 and the old system had a 6800GT (the only thing that hurts it).

Well i just thought id post some observations so far.... I can't take any pics sorry, they ran out of stock of the iSight cam i wanted so i didnt get it. :(

Quick Run Down:

The new 2.3 is a lot quieter than the last. I'm sorry to say that the 2.3 when it was turned on, and when starting a GAME or other CPU intensive task the fans would spin upto full speed and then sort of throttle back a little and level off. It was really quite loud.

The new design for cooling seems a lot better, at full throttle its still pretty silent. You can only tell its speeding up by the slight change in pitch/tone of the fans. They are obviously either running a lot slower max, or are better designed for noise reduction.

I noticed a type of rubber seal around the side panel. I don't remember seeing that at all before on my last PM. Its either there for noise, airflow (or both?) or some other reason.

There is still a plastic 'form' after you remove the metal side panel (to still direct airflow) but i noticed the fans directley behind it for the CPU dont quite cover the entire width of the case. There is a small gap to the side with what looks like a funnel/vent. :confused: I also noted the sticker about liquid cooling leaks on the inside of the case -- its either a generic warning or the new systems have heatpipes?

The logic board has heatsinks allover it. There are two between the 8 RAM slots, and a rather large one where the PCIexpress slots are located.

Speaking of which, the PCIexpress are laid out as 4x,8x,4x and 16x. With the 16x so being right at the bottom. Same large space for big cards (and support at the back).

The Hard Drive bays seem unchanged, but they seem to be using Western Digital drives now instead of the Maxtor i got with my original one. This is a big improvement because the maxtor drive did make quite a bit of noise when accessing -- WD is a lot less noticable.

Graphics Card has passive cooling. Large heatsink that seems to cover the memory as well as the GPU. Early indications point that its obviously no 6800 ;) but it does an admerable job. Can play WoW at 1680x1050 still. However i still cant wait for the 7800GT to arrive so i can turn up the shader options once more :D

System responsivness seems about the same, but then i never expected there to be a HUGE performance increase (or any).

Apple have done something with the PowerSupply i noticed. Not sure what, but when flicking the power on to the plug (its turned off at the wall usually) there is definatley an audiable 'click' or thump coming from the Mac's PSU. Bit like its 'waking up'. The one on the old 2.3 never really did this. I have also noticed the big red light at the back (near the power button - but inside the case) - I don't remember seeing that before but its possible it was there on the last one and i didnt notice.

Finally, a small change seems to be the Mac Startup sound, if you hook external speakers upto the system the startup sound still plays through the macs internal speaker - not the external speakers like it used too.

Hopefully that has been of some use to someone. Ill add more info if i find anything else out.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Thanks for the info - I currently have a dual 2.0GHz G5 and am trying to justify an upgrade (mainly to myself though :) ). Let us know how the performance is - my G5 currently seems up to any task I throw at it, but if there are any noticable improvements I'd be interested.

RobHague said:
Apple have done something with the PowerSupply i noticed. Not sure what, but when flicking the power on to the plug (its turned off at the wall usually) there is definatley an audiable 'click' or thump coming from the Mac's PSU. Bit like its 'waking up'. The one on the old 2.3 never really did this. I have also noticed the big red light at the back (near the power button - but inside the case) - I don't remember seeing that before but its possible it was there on the last one and i didnt notice.

My rev B dual 2.0GHz has always done this - I don't know whether they removed this in subsequent revisions and just bought it back

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, its good to know its quieter - although it might have more to do with the fact that its a single processor (with dual cores) and not two separate processors.

I'll be waiting to hear what the quad systems are like.

Thanks for the info, though.

D

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
My Rev A Dual 1.8 does the same "click" when you yank the power.

And it makes it again if you plug it back in. I think its some kind of solenoid because when the power goes out in my apt I cant turn the computer back on unless I pull the cord physically from behind the computer and put it back in, making a click.

Weird huh?

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Thanks for your post. Very helpful.

Just ordered my G5 2.0 with the new 7800 card. Have to wait till Dec 28th :( .

Does anyone know why adding the 7800 card would delay the shipment till Dec?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Eevee said:
Thanks for your post. Very helpful.

Just ordered my G5 2.0 with the new 7800 card. Have to wait till Dec 28th :( .

Does anyone know why adding the 7800 card would delay the shipment till Dec?

They are still testing it, it was briefly offered when the new PM's were launched but withdrawn within hours. Apparently it will start shipping with the G5 Quad sometime this month but maybe later due to backlog.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Well, its good to know its quieter - although it might have more to do with the fact that its a single processor (with dual cores) and not two separate processors.

I'll be waiting to hear what the quad systems are like.

Thanks for the info, though.

D

I believe the Dual 2.3 was fan-cooled and the new 2.3 is liquid cooled.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Thanks for the impressions. They definitely helped me out. I don't own a Power Mac, but hope to soon (probably the Quad). Does anyone think the Quad's noise level will differ that much from the dual-core 2.3?

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Chundles said:
They are still testing it, it was briefly offered when the new PM's were launched but withdrawn within hours. Apparently it will start shipping with the G5 Quad sometime this month but maybe later due to backlog.

I almost got a 2.0 with a 7800 too. The leadtime on it put me off though so i upped the spec to the 2.3 and thought id wait -- hopefully Apple will offer it seperatley from the get go.

I forgot to add incidentally....

Of course the new G5 comes with the Mighty Mouse. I think i liked the old one better though so im not sure if thats a good thing or not. The second button function is odd, i keep cathing the roller ball and opening up dashboard by mistake when i click and squeezing the side to get expose up is like a strength test at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.