PDA

View Full Version : The Best Microsoft Office iPad Application

andy8
Jun 5, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hi All,

I understand that there is no best iPad application to solve the creation/editing/reading of Microsoft Office Documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on the iOS platform catered to the iPad's.

However, is there one Application which would at least offer a good experience in being able to launch, browse and read the many different formats of Microsoft Office documents on iPad. I am not looking to edit documents much - but it will be a very helpful feature if that application could also do that and of course I also want to save the document on my iPad - so Cloud based solutions aren't what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot,

rhett7660
Jun 5, 2013, 09:48 PM
I use DocsToGo. No complaints. Let's you review, edit and annotate the documents and see what others have annotated also.

andy8
Jun 5, 2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for your reply,

Is it better than QuickOffice Pro HD in your opinion ?

rhett7660
Jun 5, 2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks for your reply,

I don't know as I have not used it sorry. I started out with this one and haven't need another. Hopefully someone else can chime in who has used both.

madeirabhoy
Jun 7, 2013, 09:20 AM
i just downloaded documents to go, tried the google drive app and felt it a bit cr*p, and wife demanded excel on her ipad. tbh only chose documents to go over quickoffice et all, as id used docs to go on my palmpilot for many years.

seems pretty featured and snappy, and the integration of all of the cloud based storages is very good, means i can bump off my box.com and dropbox apps and its all centralised.

robdam1001
Jun 7, 2013, 02:49 PM
CloudOn

SpectreOne3
Jun 9, 2013, 03:30 PM
CloudOn

I'm trying to like CloudOn but it just feels clunky to me. Then again it is free =)

andy8
Jun 25, 2013, 07:59 AM
I am now looking for an iPad Application that will be able to open (not necessarily edit) Microsoft Office files :- Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

I need to be able to securely store my files (offline) on my iPad as I deal with company related material and not allowed to post them on Cloud Servers. As long as the iOS application is able to effectively open the files "as is" without any format errors and efficiently function on my iPad, that would be most welcome.

Anyone has suggestions ?

Thanks ! :)

rhett7660
Jun 25, 2013, 09:22 AM
I am now looking for an iPad Application that will be able to open (not necessarily edit) Microsoft Office files :- Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

I need to be able to securely store my files (offline) on my iPad as I deal with company related material and not allowed to post them on Cloud Servers. As long as the iOS application is able to effectively open the files "as is" without any format errors and efficiently function on my iPad, that would be most welcome.

Anyone has suggestions ?

Thanks ! :)

DocumentsToGo

You can store the files locally within the app. You don't have to use the cloud service.

fisherking
Oct 6, 2013, 10:48 AM
i need to set someone up with excel on her ipad mini, and she needs to work on the excel file from dropbox.

can docs to go standard do this? or does she NEED the premium version?

and, just to be sure...she can edit an excel doc without having to convert it (as apple's numbers would do)...

thanx!

s2mikey
Oct 7, 2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I really like QuickOffice Pro. Ive had it for a while and it does what I need it to. They update it fairly regularly too which is nice. Its a Solid choice, IMO.

fisherking
Oct 7, 2013, 08:31 PM
last post about this, promise.

my GF needs to access and add info to an ongoing excel sheet. she wants to edit it, then email it to her employer.

so it goes back and forth in email. they may (and should) move to dropbox, but for now...

documents to go and quickoffice can both do this?
any reason why one is better for this than the other?

JTravers
Oct 7, 2013, 09:15 PM
last post about this, promise.

my GF needs to access and add info to an ongoing excel sheet. she wants to edit it, then email it to her employer.

so it goes back and forth in email. they may (and should) move to dropbox, but for now...

documents to go and quickoffice can both do this?
any reason why one is better for this than the other?

If offline access isn't a requirement, Office web apps actually works pretty well in Safari. Might as well give it a try since it's free.
https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/myoffice.aspx

Taustin Powers
Oct 8, 2013, 01:48 AM
I really like QuickOffice Pro. Ive had it for a while and it does what I need it to. They update it fairly regularly too which is nice. Its a Solid choice, IMO.

They won't be updating it much anymore, since they superceded it with a new free version. The new one lacks Dropbox support, since they want to move everyone to Google Drive.

roadbloc
Oct 8, 2013, 03:10 AM
I've found the official app (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/office-mobile-for-office-365/id541164041?mt=8) to be best. Regretfully, for iOS devices you must be an Office 365 subscriber.

s2mikey
Oct 8, 2013, 03:03 PM
They won't be updating it much anymore, since they superceded it with a new free version. The new one lacks Dropbox support, since they want to move everyone to Google Drive.

Oh - didnt even know that. Hmmm..... A free version? Interesting.

fisherking
Oct 8, 2013, 06:24 PM
seems like docs to go will be best for her...thanx people!

robdam1001
Oct 28, 2013, 08:20 PM
+1 for CloudOn

javamex
Nov 2, 2013, 03:28 AM
I think it depends a bit on your usage needs, but if you need to be able to take different documents, edit them, and be reasonably confident that the formatting won't get messed up, then Documents To Go is a fairly solid choice. It's not flawless, but it works well enough for most documents and Dropbox integration is very handy.

Other options such as Pages are prettier and the editor may work less clunkily, but I found their conversion process tended to subtly mess up document formats. But this could depend on your use case: in my work I need to edit different clients' documents while maintaining their format perfectly, but if this isn't such a concern then one of the other options may be better for you.

I should also say that I started using it before an official version of Microsoft Office 365 was available for iOS.

ScottNWDW
Nov 4, 2013, 06:26 AM
My vote goes to iWork. Numbers, pages and Keynote.

also another alternative that has worked for me is downloading the Microsoft Office app for iPhone onto my iPad. Of course you do need to have an Office 365 subscription. although the app is designed for the iPhone, it does work well on the iPad. If you want a seamless experience then that may be your best alternative. If you are not an Office 365 subscriber then I would go with iWork or Documents to Go.