Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihakim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if the behavior of my iPad 4 is normal.

I just bought the iPad new a week ago and I updated it to 6.1.3 when I took it out of the box. I have Contacts, Calendar, and Gmail (through Mail App) set to fetch @ 15 mins. In Notification Center, I have removed everything except: Share Widget, Facetime, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, Photos, Game Center, Chrome, iTunes U, and Google Hangouts. Find my iPhone is on. I've gone through and disabled push in all the applications I could. After all of this, I still notice the usage stat increasing when the screen is locked. Last night I left it on my desk after closing out all of the apps. I woke up in the morning and found out the "usage" had increased by approximately 1 hour even though the screen was off and I was not using it.

Right now, it's sitting at 100% battery with 5 hours and 44 mins standby, and 48 minutes usage. I estimate, I haven't used the device more than 10-15 mins.

On the last charge cycle, I hit 10 hours usage by 50% battery which doesn't seem right because the first two charge cycles got me about 11 hours of use by a dead battery.

Is this behavior normal?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Left it idle overnight. Usage went up from 40 mins to 1 hr and 50 mins yet it shows 100% battery. I'm debating just wiping it completely and reconfiguring it and reinstalling the apps.

Last edited:

ihakim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
Well, I really expected more than zero responses...

For the sake of completion:

I wiped the iPad clean through iTunes and reconfigured / installed everything without using the backup. I left it for a while and found that the usage statistic was increasing at almost the same rate as the standby statistic. I left it overnight and found it was still going up but not as quickly. What was interesting is I noticed that while it did enter sleep overnight, when I used it in the morning, it would not go to "sleep" instantly even when the screen was off. For example, if I unlocked it and instantly locked it, the usage counter would still go up by 10-15 minutes.

I did a hard reboot by holding the home and lock button at the same time. This appears to have solved the issue and now it's increasing by a minute or two every hour of standby. I'll report back in a day or two after some use.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Quite honestly, I've never checked the usage statistics. As long as the battery lasts me through the day (which it does almost always), I just don't care. I'm guessing most other forum members feel the same as I do, hence the lack of interest in this topic. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.