Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmerdoug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
memset gives an error. What did I do wrong? When signal was *signal, I didn't get an error. As near as I can tell, I am still sending a 1-D array to find_breakouts. thanks

Code:
int  *****signal

signal = (int*****) calloc (number_of_vols, sizeof(int****));
		for (i = 0; i < number_of_vols; i++)
			{
			signal[i] = (int****) calloc (number_of_vols, sizeof(int ***));
			for (j = 0; j < number_of_vols; j++)
				{
				signal[i][j] = (int***) calloc (num_buy_channels, sizeof(int **));
				for (k = 0; k < num_buy_channels; k++)
					{
					signal[i][j][k] = (int**) calloc (num_sell_channels, sizeof(int *));
					for (l = 0; l < num_sell_channels; l++)
						signal[i][j][k][l] = (int*) calloc (days_of_data, sizeof(int ));

}}}

find_breakouts(sauce, signal[vol1][vol2][buy_channel][sell_channel],buy_count, sell_count, date_list);

void find_breakouts( float* sauce,  int * sign, int buy_count, int sell_count, char ** date_list)
{

int i, j;
	int  search, end;

memset(sign, 0, days_of_data*sizeof(int));

farmerdoug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Its a EXC_BAD_ACCESS error. A problem with memory allocation. You gave me a clue. Have to check things.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
How much do you allocate in each dimension? You never check the return value of calloc and it's not unlikely that you ran out of memory. :D

For example, allocating 100 items of size int would give: 100^5 * 4 = 40 gigabytes.

farmerdoug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I added a check and yes I wasn't running out of memory. What I was doing was over stepping the memory by using the wrong variables in for the indicies.
Thanks.

Sander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2008
OK, this is not much of a useful post but I just thought it was amusing that I opened this thread, saw the first line of code with a 5-fold-nested pointer, and I immediately knew who posted this thread without seeing the name of the submitter yet.

Farmerdoug, I wonder whether the complexity of the stuff you're trying to do wouldn't warrant you investing some time in a higher-level language...

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
OK, this is not much of a useful post but I just thought it was amusing that I opened this thread, saw the first line of code with a 5-fold-nested pointer, and I immediately knew who posted this thread without seeing the name of the submitter yet.

Farmerdoug, I wonder whether the complexity of the stuff you're trying to do wouldn't warrant you investing some time in a higher-level language...

Been telling him that for years...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I think some typedefs are called for... So that you don't have to write ***** repeatedly (looks like I have censored profanity, hah.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.