Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axisD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Hi all, probably a dumb question. But I have an imac, and its my first time using any mac at all. I downloaded firefox, but its a little strange because

1) Firefox is showing up under devices, and it has an eject button next to it as if its a drive or something.

2) anytime I restart the computer, the firefox icon at the bottom is gone and replaced with a question mark. when I click it, the dialogue box pops up and says "firefox was downloaded from the internet, do you want to open it? etc.."

but did I do something wrong when downloading it? I downloaded chrome too and these things aren't happening.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
You probably downloaded a file like "firefox.dmg". dmg files are Mac-specific "disk image files" and when you double click them they mount like disks (or drives) on your desktop and in the Finder window that is then opening is the actual Firefox application file.

You should drag the Firefox application file from that window into your Applications folder, then (yes!) eject the Firefox "device", then open Firefox from within your Application folder, then right click the (new) Firefox icon in your Dock and choose under Options "Keep in Dock".

Now, even after restarting your Mac, the Firefox icon should always be visible in your Dock and Firefox should open when you click on it.

The icon with the question mark you can drag out of the Dock until it changes into a cloud (and then disappears when you let go of the mouse).

axisD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
that fixed it, thanks a bunch. Like I said, I still dont know much about macs, but I'm learning. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.