PDA

View Full Version : YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2013, 06:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/06/youtubes-mobile-ad-sales-triple-soon-after-debuting-ad-enabled-ios-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/youtube.pngBloomberg is reporting (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-05/google-s-youtube-triples-mobile-sales-amid-wireless-shift.html) that YouTube has seen its mobile ad sales triple in the past six months, which is partly due to increased usage of its ad-enabled YouTube apps on both iOS and Android.

The company has seen a 42 percent increase in app usage from a year ago, with 70 million smartphone owners using the app in March the United States.The recent growth in usage follows*Apple Inc.'s decision last year to drop YouTube as a core application in the iOS software for iPhones and iPads, said Phil Farhi, director of product management at YouTubeSix months ago Google launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/11/google-launches-native-youtube-app-for-iphone/) a native YouTube app months after we reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/06/ios-6-beta-4-removes-dedicated-youtube-app/) that Apple was set to remove the stock YouTube app with iOS 6. The stock app that had been included with iOS since 2007 did not include ads, but YouTube's new iOS app frequently features ads before videos are played.

Article Link: YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/06/youtubes-mobile-ad-sales-triple-soon-after-debuting-ad-enabled-ios-app/)

JayCee842
Jun 6, 2013, 06:31 PM
I ususally look away when the ads pop up on my iPhone anyways. ;)

Astroexe
Jun 6, 2013, 06:32 PM
This could also be due to YouTube restrictions with the Apple stock App or their web-only version - they couldn't put Ads by the videos & they weren't available on some platforms.

troop231
Jun 6, 2013, 06:32 PM
I like using the McTube app instead, as it allows you to listen to music in the background.

B4U
Jun 6, 2013, 06:39 PM
Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.

daneoni
Jun 6, 2013, 06:40 PM
Use Jasmine instead. No ads and i can watch HQ videos on mobile data instead of stupid auto throttling.

If you're gonna feed me ads at least let me decided what quality to watch it at. Idiots.

JoeyCloverfield
Jun 6, 2013, 06:41 PM

Don't say that! Next thing you know they'll be adding facial recognition that makes sure you watch them.

Jun 6, 2013, 06:43 PM
No surprise, it almost mandatory to watch those ads. Mandatory ads shows up meaning they earn money on other people's bandwidth and time. Collecting money on both ends of the process, money collect from people putting up the ad and people watching the ad.

Bill Killer
Jun 6, 2013, 06:57 PM
Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.

Well, this is very wrong.

TheRainKing
Jun 6, 2013, 07:04 PM
I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.

Bathplug
Jun 6, 2013, 07:36 PM
Jailbreak & block them

Solomani
Jun 6, 2013, 08:12 PM

How do you look away when a Google Glass ad comes in front of you wearing your Google Glass?

I think Google has it all figured out. Resistance is futile.

Simmias
Jun 6, 2013, 08:20 PM
Don't say that! Next thing you know they'll be adding facial recognition that makes sure you watch them.

The Galaxy S4 already pauses when you look away...hmm.

yearofthe
Jun 6, 2013, 08:26 PM
I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.

I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.

atticus27
Jun 6, 2013, 08:40 PM
good for google's revenue although they don't split mobile ad revenue with partners (which is around half of any major channels monthly views).
I do like the app though

SnowLeopard2008
Jun 6, 2013, 08:41 PM
It's obvious (from the title) that YouTube's ad growth is directly linked to iOS.

RoastingPig
Jun 6, 2013, 08:47 PM
Playtube pro is hands down the best and i always cache my videos

JodyK
Jun 6, 2013, 09:22 PM
I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

Wonder if the trade off is worth it?

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!

Evoken
Jun 6, 2013, 09:27 PM
I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

I think the decision to stop bundling YouTube was mutual.

minik
Jun 6, 2013, 09:45 PM
That's why I keep my 4th gen iPod touch on iOS 4.3.5. :p On my iPhone 5, I use Jasmine since the official YouTube app doesn't do a good job.

gotluck
Jun 6, 2013, 10:01 PM
I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.

Actually IE 9 & 10 effectively have adblockers implemented as 'tracking protection' under 'manage addons'.

Not that I'm trying to defend IE, but it has improved a good bit.

I'm not sure that it blocks youtube ads like the chrome adblocker does though.

toaster64
Jun 6, 2013, 10:11 PM
That does it, I'm deleting that app. Why did I even install that thing in the first place if it makes the ads work? I already killed them with an axe on my computer... YouTube videos open in QuickTime Player to avoid ads and throttling, plus I can go to recent videos, save videos I want to keep, rip the audio whenever I want, trim, play in reverse and fast/slow motion, automatically get just the video without junk on the side, etc.

----------

Those retarded Toyota ads do not make me want to trust those people. I get low-quality, ear-piercing ads telling me that Prius technology can make a roller coaster POWER ITSELF. Screw you, laws of physics :p

atticus27
Jun 6, 2013, 10:43 PM

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!

ya people have to sit through ads (which suck), but it makes youtube and the content creators more money. Also google pushes out a lot of updates constantly improving there apps

tonyr6
Jun 6, 2013, 11:30 PM
Last I heard to access the Internet on your phones is not free. Stop this free bullcrap. Ads are just plain annoying.

cclloyd
Jun 7, 2013, 12:10 AM

You get annoyed, yet your brain still hears the ad and processes it.

I'm just thankful that AdBlock on Cydia works in the app :)

I also use my dd-wrt router to block ads for all devices by returning 0.0.0.0 for the IP when an ad is called. Any protocol, any port, always.

iSteve-O
Jun 7, 2013, 12:29 AM
A bunch of complainers in here. Sheesh!

Most shows on TV have ads, so maybe they should get rid of that too :rolleyes:

cclloyd
Jun 7, 2013, 12:56 AM

I DVR most things and watch later, skipping commercials :P

I also like how in CT they have a law that forces the volume of commercials to be equal to or less than that of the show.

Nermal
Jun 7, 2013, 01:00 AM
I also like how in CT they have a law that forces the volume of commercials to be equal to or less than that of the show.

I wish they did that here; there's a guideline of some sort but not all of the channels abide by it.

OtherJesus
Jun 7, 2013, 01:04 AM
I just safari. Rarely do I see an add.

Jsameds
Jun 7, 2013, 01:14 AM
If you have jailbroken device you can install 'Adblocker' which will remove these annoying YT ads.

It will also remove ads from web browsers and also iAds from any given app.

OllyW
Jun 7, 2013, 01:19 AM
I wish they did that here; there's a guideline of some sort but not all of the channels abide by it.

The guidelines are quite strict in the UK, with an average of 7 minutes per hour allowed.

On the commercial channels, the amount of airtime allowed by the UK broadcasting regulator Ofcom for advertising is an overall average of 7 minutes per hour, with limits of 12 minutes for any particular clock hour (8 minutes per hour between 6pm and 11pm).

Still too much for me though. I rarely watch commercial TV live and just skip the adverts on my TiVo. The only time I watch it live is when the football is on and I go and make myself a drink when the adverts are on at half time. :)

Nermal
Jun 7, 2013, 01:28 AM
The guidelines are quite strict in the UK, with an average of 7 minutes per hour allowed.

Which knocks everything out of whack here when British programmes run from, say, 7:30 until 8:35, then the next one from 8:35 until 9:40. Of course, they *could* just shorten the ad breaks to match yours but that'd make too much sense!

At least it's not as bad as Hulu. An ad to start, then the opening credits, then 3-4 more ads... Bafflingly, they also put an ad block right before the ending credits, apparently under the impression that you're going to stick around and watch them!

anomie
Jun 7, 2013, 02:19 AM

And still your brain registered every single ad.
It just works.

Personally I never used the YouTube app since chrome allows me to watch the videos inside chrome.

AppleMark
Jun 7, 2013, 02:56 AM

Are you sure? I thought it was up to 12 minutes per hour, especially on Pay TV.

The average 1 hour programme made for commercial TV is approximately 42 minutes long. This is verified when you watch the clock when forwarding anything on SKY+, or watch on Netflix etc.

I know that there are schedule announcements and promos, but not 11 minutes worth with only 7 minutes of Adverts surely? I also thought the 7 minute thing was a guideline, or something that Ofcom were working towards.

nick_elt
Jun 7, 2013, 03:24 AM
Its free and my most used app on the ipad. Cant complain. I do wish there was a payed version and had a whole catelogue of all the lastest tv shows and movies and even live sports (look at the ipl, it can be done) then id get rid of my tv box that i hardly use but spend so much on.

----------

Cant get all of the other streaming services here in poland like netflix etc

Jsameds
Jun 7, 2013, 04:52 AM
[/COLOR]Cant get all of the other streaming services here in poland like netflix etc

Try using a service called 'Unblock US'.

It should give you access to Netflix and other streaming services.

OllyW
Jun 7, 2013, 05:06 AM
Are you sure? I thought it was up to 12 minutes per hour, especially on Pay TV.

The average 1 hour programme made for commercial TV is approximately 42 minutes long. This is verified when you watch the clock when forwarding anything on SKY+, or watch on Netflix etc.

I know that there are schedule announcements and promos, but not 11 minutes worth with only 7 minutes of Adverts surely? I also thought the 7 minute thing was a guideline, or something that Ofcom were working towards.

The quote in my post from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_advertisement#United_Kingdom) says 7 minutes per hour is supposed to be the average with 12 minutes the maximum in any one clock hour.

If I remember correctly, it only cover external advertisements and trailers for upcoming programs are not part of limit. You might be right about it only covering terrestrial TV.

There was a year long trial in 2011 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8341764/TV-films-to-be-interrupted-by-12-minutes-of-adverts.html) to allow up to 12 minutes per hour, I'm not sure if that was extended?

AbSoluTc
Jun 7, 2013, 07:22 AM

TV doesn't count. It's an outdated, archaic media model. Built on ads originally to keep it up and running. However paying for cable well, a conversation for later.

As for YouTube - the data plan I PAY for on my mobile phone is mine. I should not have to PAY to watch ****** ads on a mobile device. I don't support ad supported apps at all. I'm not a walking billboard. Either give me an option to pay NOT to see it or don't waste my data.

Same with Hulu+. $8 dollars a month and still sit through ads. How the hell does that work? I am better off torrenting what I want to watch WITHOUT ADS and other BS. Free. Again, using my data that I pay for to show your ads that again, I pay for.

It's a ****** dynamic.

B4U
Jun 7, 2013, 08:04 AM
You get annoyed, yet your brain still hears the ad and processes it.

I'm just thankful that AdBlock on Cydia works in the app :)

I also use my dd-wrt router to block ads for all devices by returning 0.0.0.0 for the IP when an ad is called. Any protocol, any port, always.

My brain does not process it if I always mute the thing and use the 4 finger up gesture on the touchpad.
Now that you brought up the router block, that does ring a bell.

----------

I just safari. Rarely do I see an add.

Not on my iMac...it still shows the darn ads...

MacsRgr8
Jun 7, 2013, 08:14 AM

They should.

How many people actually watch those TV ads?
It's fun that measuring the amount of people watching a show is probably leading in calculating the price for "ad space" on a TV channel, but are they also measuring how many of those watchers zapp away during a commercial break, or simply look away (or leave the room...)?

xxnemoxx
Jun 7, 2013, 10:28 AM

Apple won't go as far as Samsung. Just imagine if the S4 had that feature >.<

the8thark
Jun 7, 2013, 10:54 AM
This Youtube App is the last trace I have of anything google on my iPad. And am very close to removing this as well. These extra ads might be the tipping point. I buy bandwidth and google is telling me what I should be doing with the bandwidth I paid for. If I told google what to do with the things it purchases, I'd be told to **** off. But they can do this exact thing to us all.

The only power we have is not to use the youtube iOS app anymore.

FirstNTenderbit
Jun 7, 2013, 02:29 PM

There's no correlation. Apple doesn't care if Google makes money. Google doesn't care if Apple makes money. Each company is concerned about their own money. We, the tech fans and forum lurkers are the only ones who seem to care. Some more than others.

A dollar spent with one company doesn't directly translate to a dollar not spent with another.

ReanimationN
Jun 7, 2013, 08:59 PM
This Youtube App is the last trace I have of anything google on my iPad. And am very close to removing this as well. These extra ads might be the tipping point. I buy bandwidth and google is telling me what I should be doing with the bandwidth I paid for. If I told google what to do with the things it purchases, I'd be told to **** off. But they can do this exact thing to us all.

The only power we have is not to use the youtube iOS app anymore.

Get McTube (if it's available), YouPlayer or Jasmine. All will play videos without any ads, and all have options for video quality, which the official app doesn't have. They're far better apps.

infinitech
Jun 8, 2013, 03:03 PM
Apple won't go as far as Samsung. Just imagine if the S4 had that feature >.<

so scared. didn't look at it that way.

jw2002
Jun 8, 2013, 11:05 PM
At least it's not as bad as Hulu. An ad to start, then the opening credits, then 3-4 more ads... Bafflingly, they also put an ad block ...

The baffling thing about Hulu is people actually pay to watch ad infested programs. Why????? There are other ways to get the same content without the annoyance factor.

Evoken
Jun 8, 2013, 11:23 PM

Yep, will be interesting to see how the same people who are complaining about ads here end up reacting to iRadio and the iAds it is said to be supported by.

Nermal
Jun 8, 2013, 11:46 PM
The baffling thing about Hulu is people actually pay to watch ad infested programs. Why????? There are other ways to get the same content without the annoyance factor.

I just use the free version of Hulu; does the paid one still have ads? :eek:

mdehoogh
Jun 9, 2013, 11:38 AM
TV doesn't count. It's an outdated, archaic media model. Built on ads originally to keep it up and running. However paying for cable well, a conversation for later.

As for YouTube - the data plan I PAY for on my mobile phone is mine. I should not have to PAY to watch ****** ads on a mobile device. I don't support ad supported apps at all. I'm not a walking billboard. Either give me an option to pay NOT to see it or don't waste my data.

Same with Hulu+. $8 dollars a month and still sit through ads. How the hell does that work? I am better off torrenting what I want to watch WITHOUT ADS and other BS. Free. Again, using my data that I pay for to show your ads that again, I pay for.

It's a ****** dynamic.

I don't understand, you don't think you should have to pay for a service that you wish to use?

If you want general internet connectivity on a mobile device, you must pay a carrier who has a network of towers and infrastructure so that you can have access even as you move around town.

You seem to understand and accept that part. However,

If you want access to YouTube, you must pay Google who has a series of datacenters where they host and serve content to any customer at any time.

Why should paying carriers to use their network exempt you from paying Google to use their datacenters?

AbSoluTc
Jun 9, 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't understand, you don't think you should have to pay for a service that you wish to use?

If you want general internet connectivity on a mobile device, you must pay a carrier who has a network of towers and infrastructure so that you can have access even as you move around town.

You seem to understand and accept that part. However,

If you want access to YouTube, you must pay Google who has a series of datacenters where they host and serve content to any customer at any time.

Why should paying carriers to use their network exempt you from paying Google to use their datacenters?

On a land line ISP - I could care less. On a mobile device where my data is at 5gig - I care. I don't want to see ads on my mobile device, periods. I don't care whose serving them up. ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS

That's all it is now. ADS. Hulu, Apple, Google, Microsoft, TV - So many ads that they have last their purpose and people just tune them out now. When they start digging at my data I don't like it.

Michael Goff
Jun 9, 2013, 03:03 PM
Anyone who is complaining or blocking ads should stop using YouTube.

It's a free service, some people rely on the ad revenue for the money to pay the bills. Seriously.

Stop it.

hexonxonx
Jun 9, 2013, 05:48 PM

Just like some ads that won't start playing until you go back to that tab to view your video.

albusseverus
Jun 9, 2013, 06:57 PM
Apple really needs to implement the ability to un-download, so app makers can see people who don't like what they're doing. Just saying…

Michael Goff
Jun 9, 2013, 08:04 PM
Apple really needs to implement the ability to un-download, so app makers can see people who don't like what they're doing. Just saying…

I agree, if only there was a way to remove an app and show the people who made it that I don't like their product anymore...