PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple only change the icons and app designs or will it be a overhaul of the UI?

Sensamic
Jun 6, 2013, 08:25 PM
All I hear is how iOS 7 will be more flat in icons and stock app design, but what about the rest of the OS?

Won't they change the lockscreen? And how about the home screens? Will it still be only icons or will it be changed?

If they are only going to apply a flat theme all over then everything will stay essentially the same and no improvements will be done.

They should improve more than just the looks. I mean, on Android you can add widgets, direct call or messages icons for contacts, change themes, launchers, etc. Thanks to widgets I can see my calendar appointments, news, etc. All this improves the experience and that's what I'm talking about. A new design in iOS 7 is not enough. They need to improve the UI, but not by changing the glossy to flat, but rather by evolving it. The UI needs to evolve.

It seems that all we are gonna get is a change of look rather than an improved UI.

xcodeaddict
Jun 6, 2013, 09:10 PM
How do we know?

:rolleyes:

nepalisherpa
Jun 6, 2013, 09:30 PM
OP, I will answer your question on Monday. OK?

All I hear is how iOS 7 will be more flat in icons and stock app design, but what about the rest of the OS?

Won't they change the lockscreen? And how about the home screens? Will it still be only icons or will it be changed?

If they are only going to apply a flat theme all over then everything will stay essentially the same and no improvements will be done.

They should improve more than just the looks. I mean, on Android you can add widgets, direct call or messages icons for contacts, change themes, launchers, etc. Thanks to widgets I can see my calendar appointments, news, etc. All this improves the experience and that's what I'm talking about. A new design in iOS 7 is not enough. They need to improve the UI, but not by changing the glossy to flat, but rather by evolving it. The UI needs to evolve.

It seems that all we are gonna get is a change of look rather than an improved UI.

Evoken
Jun 6, 2013, 09:33 PM
I think it is safe to assume that some change in the functionality of the OS as well as some new additional features will be presented. There is also a rumor making the rounds that both the Mail and Calendar apps will get a major redesign.

Just a few days till Monday, sit tight and wait :)

xcodeaddict
Jun 6, 2013, 09:38 PM
From the sounds of the rumours, it appears Google are going to have to overhaul Android *again* (did they ever do it properly?) to come close to competing with the features of iOS 7. I certainly do not class myself as a "fanboy", but I have MASSIVE confidence in Apple, and I firmly believe that what is coming, is going to make Android look like a toy.

Evoken
Jun 6, 2013, 09:43 PM
From the sounds of the rumours, it appears Google are going to have to overhaul Android *again* (did they ever do it properly?) to come close to competing with the features of iOS 7. I certainly do not class myself as a "fanboy", but I have MASSIVE confidence in Apple, and I firmly believe that what is coming, is going to make Android look like a toy.

Not sure what you mean by "overhaul Android" but it has been long rumored and a clear indication of it can be seen in the design language Google has been implementing in their apps recently both on Android and iOS, that the next major version of Android will feature a whole new design. With Andy stepping down and Sundar taking over both Android and Chrome OS as well as Matias Duarte increasing influence it is only a matter of time before Android gets the new design.

Rogifan
Jun 7, 2013, 01:55 AM
So basically you want to know if iOS 7 will become Android. :rolleyes:

fullauto
Jun 7, 2013, 03:07 AM
I wonder who will be first to gobble up glossy skeuomorphism and present their new 'magical' OS once Apple goes flat..:rolleyes:

spikeyy
Jun 7, 2013, 03:28 AM

There are rumors that look of the icons, Lock Screen, Notifications are changing. Home Screen might not change though. New look with new asthetics.

Sensamic
Jun 7, 2013, 12:50 PM
So basically you want to know if iOS 7 will become Android. :rolleyes:

Not exactly, but I would like some UI change, and maybe gestures for multitasking like on the iPad. So much can be done.

John Adams
Jun 9, 2013, 08:37 PM
I certainly do not class myself as a "fanboy", but I have MASSIVE confidence in Apple, and I firmly believe that what is coming, is going to make Android look like a toy.

I remember people were saying the same thing about Apple Maps, it was going to blow away Google Maps!! Lol.

----------

There are rumors that look of the icons, Lock Screen, Notifications are changing. Home Screen might not change though. New look with new asthetics.

A new "look" is not going to cut it. IOS is old, stale and boring.

Rogifan
Jun 9, 2013, 08:47 PM
I remember people were saying the same thing about Apple Maps, it was going to blow away Google Maps!! Lol.

----------

A new "look" is not going to cut it. IOS is old, stale and boring.

And yet Apple still sells tens of millions of iOS devices every quarter. :rolleyes:

EmbraceTheOne
Jun 9, 2013, 08:52 PM
I hope they completely change it. I'm sick of iOS :(:mad:

xcodeaddict
Jun 9, 2013, 09:00 PM
I wonder who will be first to gobble up glossy skeuomorphism and present their new 'magical' OS once Apple goes flat..:rolleyes:

Googuess...

----------

I hope they completely change it. I'm sick of iOS :(:mad:

Boo hoo for you hoo

Evoken
Jun 9, 2013, 09:06 PM
Googuess...

Nope.

jclardy
Jun 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
There have to be new features, if only because iOS 6 (http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/) was lacking.

iOS 6:
new maps...
a few extra Siri commands
VIP inbox.
Facebook in the sharing menu.
Passbook.
Facetime over 3G (I don't even have this yet...AT&T :rolleyes:)
iCloud Tabs/reading list

Out of all of these features, I use exactly...one. Passbook, for when I go to a starbucks. They didn't really add any new interface features.

Looking at past history changes were a bit larger:

iPhone OS 1.0 - first revision, Safari, Mail, Calendar, etc.
iPhone OS 2.0 - App Store
iPhone OS 3.0 - Copy/Paste, Tethering, landscape keyboard, push notficiations
iOS 4.0 - Multitasking
iOS 5.0 - Notification Center
iOS 6.0 - ...new maps?...

Apple is due for adding new interactions to the phone, as iOS 6 did not change the way we use the phone at all.

alexnewtron
Jun 10, 2013, 09:35 AM
I'm going to predict a new 'change' in what we have now. Jony Ive's current perspective on the OS I'm sure he will improve in iOS 7.

I for one am excited for what Jony Ive will have in store for iOS, and I hope he will speak at WWDC today, as he is normally shy from speaking at WWDC.