PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on iPod Nano!$#!@

troym
Nov 2, 2005, 04:52 PM
I know this is a old topic, but i just want to know what everyone does about their scratches. I have some pretty bad looking ones on mine. I hear brasso is a life saver so after I get home i'm gonna go to Wal-Mart and pick some up, and probably use a cotton ball or a t-shirt ro rub it down. I also ordered this case from Apple.com i should be getting it very soon. Its the Agent 18

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71808/wo/hX4klDG4qUG63xCf726TnMJzJ1K/2.SLID?mco=82B263F0&nplm=TF287LL%2FA

So does this sound all good to do guys? Please help i need advice! Thanks abunch!

clayj
Nov 2, 2005, 05:01 PM
The Brasso should be a ONE-TIME fix... it cleans your nano by eating away the surface.

What I did was to get one of the new iSkins... you can't see any fine scratches through it.

ihawkfreak
Nov 2, 2005, 05:05 PM
hope the new iPod doesn't do the same thing.

Eevee
Nov 2, 2005, 05:12 PM
The Brasso should be a ONE-TIME fix... it cleans your nano by eating away the surface.

What I did was to get one of the new iSkins... you can't see any fine scratches through it.

Ouch!!! It actual "eats away" a thin layer of the surface?

The cons of owning a Nano...

devilot
Nov 2, 2005, 07:08 PM
Ouch!!! It actual "eats away" a thin layer of the surface?

The cons of owning a Nano...A lot of polishes for all sorts of surfaces (from our own teeth to metallic surfaces to car bodies an of course, iPods) work by slightly 'scratching' all the area so that is of a consistent scratched texture thereby ridding the sight of a few stand out scratches.

I'm sure somebody will have a better explanation. :o

matticus008
Nov 2, 2005, 07:35 PM
A lot of polishes for all sorts of surfaces (from our own teeth to metallic surfaces to car bodies an of course, iPods) work by slightly 'scratching' all the area so that is of a consistent scratched texture thereby ridding the sight of a few stand out scratches.

I'm sure somebody will have a better explanation. :o

She's totally right. Almost all polishes and surface cleaners work by removing a layer from the surface (the layer that has imperfections). Human skin is an easy example of this. You're not covered in scratches and scars because that skins wears off and is replaced by a "fresh" layer. Polishes are chemicals that eat away the surface of whatever you're trying to clean up. They remove scratches by peeling off the scuffed part and exposing fresh, clean material beneath. The amount of material they remove is trivial with normal applications. It takes several years before you start polishing away the finish (cars, musical instruments, and furniture are victims of finish damage due to polishing over time).

This is in contrast to epoxies and "fillers" that are designed to do the opposite. With big gouges or dents that can't be popped back out, the surface is raised to its appropriate level with a filler, and usually painted to match. That epoxy resin to fill in windshield chips is one example of this. It is less cosmetically appealing, but is the best option for cracks, dents, dimples, chips, and big gouges.

Physical polishing (buffing) involves using something like sandpaper or another regular, consistent abrasive to beat the surface down to a matching level of scratching. This is what manufacturers do when finishing cars, sheets of metal or plastic, and indeed, iPods. It's how the smooth texture is realized in almost all products. This process also produces those "whirly" "scratches" when you see a reflected light source on a polished surface. It came that way and just becomes more apparent as the gloss fades.

Microfiber, too, is a hazardous material. It removes SMUDGES by lifting off the oils and dirt. It helps prevent scratching by trapping all the dust and debris in its tight weave. However, if there is dust on the surface and microfiber is applied dry, the result will be some pretty intense scratches. This is because the tight weave of the microfiber traps the dust and debris between the plastic/glass/whatever surface and the movement causes scratching. People VERY FREQUENTLY misuse microfiber cloths. They are not meant to be used dry or after they've been previously used (without thorough cleaning before each use).

If you've ever been scolded by a parent or boss for not using "the right tool for the right job" you can see practical application here. Buffing a chipped windshield down or using microfiber on an uncleaned surface can produce sitcom-worthy results.

solinent
Nov 2, 2005, 07:38 PM
IT's fine to use brasso even 6 - 8 times. I've used it around 4, but the less the better. I puchased an Invisible Shield (http://theinvisibleshield.com/) and it works great. No scratches are visible on MY ipod!