Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Augustine864

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I looked around for something iTunes related and this seemed most relevant.

So I am using my digital copy codes from Blu-Rays that I have purchased and I am wondering how exactly to do this is a manner that achieves the effect I want.

When I input the code from some, it will say, "Do you want to download this movie now or later?" I say later because right now I am just interested in getting these "licenses" in my iTunes account so that I can download them later once I buy a MacBook.

However, some of the movies, once I input the code, immediately start to say "transferring the Town", and it shows a progress bar that takes only about five minutes before I am able to watch the movie. I think this usually happens for those combo packs where a digital copy disc is included along with the code, as opposed to just a code.

This results in me having move files on my HDD exceeding 1GB that I currently do not want. I simply want iTunes to recognize that I have access to these files to download them from the cloud at a later date. I had been simply cancelling the transfer and the result was that the movie would appear in my itunes library with an icon indicating it is available from the cloud. However, if I try to download it later as a test, it says that it needs the disc and will then go about the transfer process.

So now I have a copy of "The Town" on my HDD that I don't presently have room for and I would like to delete the file while retaining the ability to download it from the cloud later, (as it seems to indicate I am able to do because of the could icon). But I have a feeling that it will simply result in the same scenario where I will need the disc again.

Anyone else out there regularly take advantage of the digital copies?

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
maybe try letting it fully download and then delete? you should be given an option of "do you want to delete from the cloud" or something like that, and say no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.