PDA

View Full Version : lightsaber sound coming from CD drive

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2005, 05:26 PM
So i'm doing work on my pb on my lap and i notice when i tilt the computer a little bit i hear a strange noise, it sounds like its coming from my CD drive, it sounds like a lightsabor noise almost, anyone have any idea of what it could be

mad jew
Nov 2, 2005, 05:28 PM
Is there a disk inside?

TheMonarch
Nov 2, 2005, 05:29 PM
He he... Light-saber noise...

Uh... That would be the sound of the disk scraping the 'Book's drive... Don't do it. Apple won't cover that under warranty if they find out.

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2005, 05:29 PM
Is there a disk inside?
nope

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2005, 05:32 PM
He he... Light-saber noise...

Uh... That would be the sound of the disk scraping the 'Book's drive... Don't do it. Apple won't cover that under warranty if they find out.
so how does one go around fixing it

Lau
Nov 2, 2005, 05:35 PM
It's not like this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=94267) is it? Because that just started happening to me a couple of days ago. I thought it was the beginning of the hard drive failing, although there's been no other symptoms of hard drive failure since I noticed it.

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2005, 05:40 PM
It's not like this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=94267) is it? Because that just started happening to me a couple of days ago. I thought it was the beginning of the hard drive failing, although there's been no other symptoms of hard drive failure since I noticed it.
yea its like a buzzing noise or a motor sound when i tilt it. i never notice this before.... whats wrong with my baby? :confused:
should i go the apple store and have a check up? if they say turn your hard drive an cough i'm going to run out ;) :eek:

Aarow
Nov 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
Like a lightsaber turning on? Or a lightsaber hitting another lightsaber?

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2005, 05:47 PM
Like a lightsaber turning on? Or a lightsaber hitting another lightsaber?
hitting another lightsaber i think... i don't watch starwar/trak..... :o :rolleyes:

edit i got an appointment at the apple store in 25 mins, so i'm gonna take it down their and see what they say, it can't hurt right.... watch it won't happen when i get their...

Lau
Nov 2, 2005, 05:56 PM
if they say turn your hard drive an cough i'm going to run out ;) :eek:

Heh heh. :p

Yeah, I don't know what it is. It's when I tilt it from the horizontal, but when I stop moving it it stops (even if I stop it while it's tilted). It started on Saturday morning, and as it was coming from under the left palmrest where the hard drive is (on my 12" PB), I assumed that was it. I went out and bought an external HD, which I'd meant to do for ages, and backed everything up, thinking it was all doomed, but it still seems fine. The noise is still there, and it doesn't sound good, but apart from that the HD seems fine, and disk utility says it's fine too.

I don't know. Could it be a fan, perhaps?

MacTruck
Nov 2, 2005, 06:04 PM
DUDE! You have a jedi trapped in your computer. He is trying to cut his way out with his lightsaber. Open that baby up and let him out. :eek:

Lau
Nov 2, 2005, 06:23 PM
i got an appointment at the apple store in 25 mins, so i'm gonna take it down their and see what they say, it can't hurt right.... watch it won't happen when i get their...

Cool - please post what their verdict is, I'd love to know!

edge540
Nov 2, 2005, 06:38 PM
My Powerbook started to make that noise a while back and then one day it started making it when stationary. It got worse and the computer started to crash whenever it made the noise. I really want to know what is happening to my HD so post back what they say the problem is as i need to know wheather to spend $150 on a new HD.

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2005, 07:04 PM
well i came back from the apple store. He said he heard the noise and thought it was a wire catching on the fans in the back (near the screen) the wire is held by a piece of static free tape or something... or it could be anything, it would have to be shipped out.. i can't ship my pb right cause i got a million papers to do, so he advized me to back up and bring it back over thanksgiving. I might bring it in next weekend cause i'm going home and i might be able to barrow my bother's ibook and then return it when i come home for thanksgiving...
he also liked my desktop (see the nov. thread)

Nermal
Nov 2, 2005, 09:05 PM
i don't watch starwar/trak..... :o :rolleyes:

We figured that out when you called it a "lightsabor" :p

disconap
Nov 2, 2005, 10:06 PM
It may be nothing, but I HIGHLY suggest downloading a SMART (hd early warning system) reader app and checking the different catagories, especially 05 (which is the bad block allocation section, the first to go if your drive is being scraped/damaged). I suggest Smartmontools (instructions, background info, and links to downloads here: http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ ). Always a good thing to have, I run it around once a month on all my machines...

bubbamac
Nov 3, 2005, 08:30 AM
I got the same thing on my 15" TiPB that's about 3 1/2 hard years old. It happened when I woke it from sleep in the morning to do my usual web surfing/newspaper reading.

I put it to sleep to protect the HD - not turn it off, since a reboot would cause much thrashing and reading of the HD, went and got my external drive , and backed everything up ASAP.

Ordered a new HD (at Fry's), and installed it myself, using the instructions from Apple's support website. Very easy, just follow the instructions. I am NOT a mechanically minded person, I just followed the directions...

I couldn't tell you if the HD was going bad - but I'm not going to give it a chance. I went from a 30 Gig/4600 rpm drive to an 80 Gig/5400 rpm - and yep, it's a little snappier. And I don't start freaking out when I get around 1500 pics in iPhoto... And, battery life seems to be improved a bit.

Also, my CDRW/DVD drive decided to not give discs back about a month later, due to something sticking up in the drive mechanism and catching the discs. I replaced that myself, too - although it was a lot more involved, and finding directions to do it required no less than 5 different sets of instructions from different vendors - it seems PB's are remarkably different inside... No sweat on the re-install of the CDRW/DVD drive either.

I'm enjoying telling these stories to people who tell me that "Macs aren't upgradeable."

whooleytoo
Nov 3, 2005, 08:59 AM
Have you checked the SMART status in Disk Utility?

puckhead193
Nov 3, 2005, 01:11 PM
Have you checked the SMART status in Disk Utility?
I don't see SMART status in disk utility... maybe i'm just retarded :confused: :confused:

whooleytoo
Nov 3, 2005, 01:27 PM
I don't see SMART status in disk utility... maybe i'm just retarded :confused: :confused:

In Disk Utility, click on the drive icon on the left (not the volume icon, i.e. it's usually the topmost icon). Down at the bottom of the window, you should see the "SMART status" down the bottom-right of the window.

blackpeter
Nov 3, 2005, 02:09 PM
Here's the deal - The sound you are hearing is your internal HDD. Weather or not the sound is a sign of imminent drive failure is debatable. There are plenty of posts on Apple's Discussions forums on this issue:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@312.p7fYatLZTc0.3@.68baf51e

As you can read, many who have heard this sound report drive failure within a few months. This may be a case of the vocal minority, as support forums are usually used by people who are having problems. However, I have to believe that if the drive was silent before, that a buzzing noise is *not* a normal thing.

My 12" PB's internal drive started making this noise on Sunday. When tilted, it makes the whirring sound of a lightsabre. Sometimes the sound is more pronounced and other times it's quieter. I can't really pinpoint why. All I know is that it didn't make this sound before.

One nice feature of these drives is the S.M.A.R.T. capabilities. You can monitor weather or not your drive is verified using Disk Utility or other (more detailed) 3rd party apps. Monitoring your drive using these utilities could give you fair warning when your drive starts to show signs of failure.

It would be a shame to spend $100-200 on a new HDD when your current drive could end up lasting quite a long time even though it buzzes. As long as you're not experiencing crashing, freezing or grinding/loud clicking, your HDD is still doing it's job.

Here's my plan of action:

1. Backup regularly
2. Monitor S.M.A.R.T.
3. Purchase a new HDD when either S.M.A.R.T. utility or excessive drive noise dictates.

disconap
Nov 3, 2005, 09:46 PM
I don't think 10.2 has a SMART checker built into the disk utility, but I could be wrong.

Oh, an easier SMART tool (GUI, no coding involved):

http://homepage.mac.com/julianmayer/

I use SMARTdrive, but I can't find a link to that anywhere. This one is pretty good as well.

puckhead193
Nov 3, 2005, 11:41 PM
it says verified for now,
i was reading on the forums at apple.com and everyone who had this problem had a toshiba drive like mine and they all seem to have purchased it around me, Aug 2004. i think that its a problem with the drive, apple will have to do another recall i think...

generik
Nov 3, 2005, 11:54 PM
A lot of things apart from a lightsaber makes that noise you know...:rolleyes:

puckhead193
Nov 9, 2005, 12:50 PM
I"m going to bring my PB in to be sent out so they can look at it. Is their anything i should know...?
I have a few questions if is is the HD and they give me a new one will they put Tiger or Panther on it. Panther came with it but i upgrade to tiger. WHich one will they put on?
Also if it is the HD that is failing, and they do replace it, is their a away i can pay to have it upgraded (pay the difference). I want the 120 gig one that apple now offers. Will this effect anything? battery, heat..etc

Lacero
Nov 9, 2005, 02:34 PM
I had the lightsaber sound effect coming from my laptop HD and DVD drive. Three months later, my HD failed. Once I installed a new HD, the lightsaber sound went away, so I am convinced the sound is the sound of eminent doom.

As for the DVD drive, I am super careful not to move around when I disc is inside being accessed. The tolerances of these fragile devices is so low.

puckhead193
Nov 9, 2005, 06:30 PM
well i'm going to leave now, if u don't see me here for a few days you'll know why

puckhead193
Nov 10, 2005, 05:38 PM
i think i'm talking to myself in this thread :rolleyes:
But i dropped it off and who knows when i'll get it back. While i was doing back up at the store, the genuis was impressed with all mac info i knew and suggested i apply , i'll have to look in to it...but then no MR :(

joker2
Nov 12, 2005, 10:09 PM
I'm going to bring my PB in to be sent out so they can look at it. Is their anything i should know...?
I have a few questions if is is the HD and they give me a new one will they put Tiger or Panther on it. Panther came with it but i upgrade to tiger. WHich one will they put on?

When I sent in my 12" PB (revB, 1GHz) under Applecare, they replaced the drive with the same capacity drive (40GB). There was a failed installation of Tiger on my original drive (as before finding the SMART status failing I figured a wipe and reinstall was in order), and it came back with the full installation of Tiger on it.

Also if it is the HD that is failing, and they do replace it, is their a away i can pay to have it upgraded (pay the difference). I want the 120 gig one that apple now offers. Will this effect anything? battery, heat..etc

I asked about that, but apparently it's a lot of hassle to do it... if you sent it in under AppleCare, most likely you'll just get a call that it's ready, and have a drive with the same specs in it.

ybakos
Nov 14, 2005, 10:09 PM
I've a new 15" Powerbook with a 7200rpm Seagate drive and it makes the noise too.

puckhead193
Nov 16, 2005, 06:14 PM
Thought i would give an update...
So i finially picked up my pb today (thank god for apple care) they replaced several things. first they replaced the hard drive same specs :( They replaced the "cltch assy,rt,prch,PB 15" and "cltch assy,lt,prch,PB 15" ( i think thats the latch, why i don't know their was nothing wrong with it) and PCBA,MLB, 1.5GHZ, PB15" i think that's the logic board...
They loaded Tiger 10.4 and ilife 05 with non of the updates so i've been running software update for the last 2 hours.

joker2
Nov 16, 2005, 06:30 PM
Glad Applecare worked for you :) Left and right would seem to imply being either the hinges or (clutch?) something holding down components inside. </wild-guess>

Lau
Nov 16, 2005, 06:43 PM
Mine's still making the noise, but nothing bad has come of it yet. As it's no longer under warranty, I'll wait and see....

puckhead193
Nov 17, 2005, 01:26 PM
I went to burn a cd and notice something.... above the superdrive where the plastic ring from the top/keyboard piece meats the bottom part... the plastic/Al. is bent/not lining up... Its looks bent and when you rub your hand on it it feels lumpy.... what should i do cause it wasn't like this when i brought it in for service... do u think they will believe me...

puckhead193
Nov 17, 2005, 05:30 PM
so i went to the apple store to ask and i need my computer for end the semester reports so he wrote down some notes and stuff. He said its not a big deal but their's a hole in my pb... should i not worry about it or have it shipped out again...

joker2
Nov 17, 2005, 05:39 PM
a hole in your pb? interesting. When does your semester end? (I assume you have applecare through that time?) It depends on how much this bothers you, as you haven't stated that it affects performance.

Since you need it through the end of the semester, send it in then?

puckhead193
Nov 17, 2005, 06:02 PM
Its not really a hole more of a slit i guess u can say. Yea i have applecare and the repair is good for 90 days bla bla bla... Its not that noticeable but its their.... if i didn't burn a cd i would have never notice it....

puckhead193
Nov 27, 2005, 09:22 PM
i got my computer back, and they replace the bottom case and the top case and some other things and it now look great!
On the menu bar the modem icon is their, how do i turn it off? They must have been testing it or something and now its their...

mkrishnan
Nov 27, 2005, 09:49 PM
i got my computer back, and they replace the bottom case and the top case and some other things and it now look great!
On the menu bar the modem icon is their, how do i turn it off? They must have been testing it or something and now its their...

Hold the Apple key, and click / drag it off the menu bar, and then let go. It'll poof away. :) Glad your computer is back in order! :)

puckhead193
Nov 27, 2005, 10:33 PM
Hold the Apple key, and click / drag it off the menu bar, and then let go. It'll poof away. :) Glad your computer is back in order! :)
Thanks! i knew it was simple... Now if their was only away to move that spotlight icon over...... :rolleyes:

ybakos
Nov 28, 2005, 01:50 PM
I think the noise comes from the processor or other fan. Something spinning like that receives torque when you rotate it's axis like when we pick up our Powerbooks and carry them to the couch.

I sent mine back; the replacement unit does NOT exhibit the noise.