PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Good Apples?

Chad4Mac
Dec 18, 2002, 01:38 PM
This just makes my head boil.

If you can write to this website (osOpinion.com) and complain about of the quality of reporting, or lack thereof...

Opinion: Where are all the Good Apples (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20021218/bs_nf/20277)

Chad4Mac

Wes
Dec 18, 2002, 02:08 PM
Out of five I put that article as 1 and was reassured by the average (of 49 votes) it has received 1.18:D

Chad4Mac
Dec 18, 2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks.

I get news wires all day on my Bridge system, and this ************* reporting doesn't help the stock any.

Day traders have been selling all day.

Good time to buy though; I would recommend buy now.

APPL: 14.56 (12:21 PST)

lmalave
Dec 18, 2002, 02:43 PM
Hey man, this guy was just telling an anecdote, which he's allowed to do. It's not like he was making any of this up. If he had used the same anecdotal style to sing the praises of Apple, would you be questioning the integrity of the journalism? Like when David Coursey of ZDNet was singing the praises of the Apple a few months ago (when he did an experiment where he gave up his PC laptop for a PowerBook for a moth), using a purely anecdotal style, and not any kind of rigorous usability testing methodology.

The fact is, Macs are not trouble free - they can and do break. Personally - I've had good experiences with a digital camera: plug in a Fuji FinePix camera to a Mac's USB port and the Mac (OS X) automatically detected the camera as a storage device, showed it on the desktop, and automatically started iPhoto. But on the other hand this same Mac has problems detecting a Dazzle Smart Media card reader, even after installing the updated 10.2 drivers. It detects it, but sometimes you have to restart the computer to do so!

Personally, I am sad for that guy. He had a bad experience that will turn him away from Macs for the foreseeable future, and unfortunately he may take few people with him with this article. But I can't fault him for relating his true-life experience. Fortunately, the Mac *is* truly easier to use (and I say that as a longtime Windows user), so on average you'll still see more anecdotes like David Coursey's rather than this guy's.

Chad4Mac
Dec 18, 2002, 03:45 PM
You are right. It is his opinion -- his personal experiences with his computer.

It's really his loss...

But...

I will refer to what a "Jemfinder" said on the comments section because he/she says it so well:
"...I regard this site highly for its quality of articles that rise above such juvenile antics. This piece was wholly out of place on OSopinion. Disappointing and lacking credibility."

That's why dislike this piece

Chad4Mac

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2002, 05:24 PM
That site does have quite a few "who knows what the author was thinking" articles.

I sometimes wonder if they just want to slander one computer or group without reasonable provocation. As I wrote on the site, I have my doubts that he even used the computer. It's so much like the various stories I've seen elsewhere (even here) which give details which are completely unlikely to happen.

Oh well. I'm sure they must be having fun with it.

zimv20
Dec 18, 2002, 10:52 PM
from the article:
I tried everything, from installing the software that came with the camera to uploading new drivers from the Internet.

uploading?

either:

1. the author is confused, or
2. the author's machine is master of the internet

Megaquad
Dec 19, 2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
from the article:

uploading?

either:

1. the author is confused, or
2. the author's machine is master of the internet
And there is a third option, this review is made by Microsoft. It's their style I can smell it.
And only them can be so dumb.

G4scott
Dec 19, 2002, 07:46 AM
This guy seems to have cranial rectal inversion syndrome. He is either using a Mac+ with USB ports glued to the side of the case, his computer isn't plugged in, or his camera is turned off or out of batteries (even the best of us make this mistake, right steve ;) )

I like the things people have posted about the article. Truly hilarious!

X-Baz
Dec 19, 2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Megaquad

And there is a third option, this review is made by Microsoft. It's their style I can smell it.
And only them can be so dumb.
It does remind me of the newsgroup postings of around the time of the OS/2 vs Win3.1 war: "well I tried OS/2 and it trashed my machine, didn't run windows apps at all and was hard to use". No facts to verify, no explanation of what was used or what was done - just enough for people to say "well I read that OS/2's rubbish" a few months later on.

Performfreak
Dec 19, 2002, 10:19 AM
hey, did any of you guys notice that not once does he mention the model of computer he's using, let alone the OS that it's running? This has to be a hoax, becuase all of his information has no basis in fact, He probably didn't mention any computers because he detests macs, knows nothing about them and he wants to deterr consumers from buying ANY mac model because he's a typical mac basher. Just the impression I got from him...