Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2011
I personally would like to see only one.
Siri is very handy on the road, just press a button and speak to perform common actions, like 'call my wife' etc.

I totally understand the need for statistics collection, but the fact that I ask Siri to call my wife and even if she understands me (which she usually does) if there is poor 3G reception she waits until she can contact apple to make that call. At times it takes minutes, which is completely unacceptable for an Apple product, or the entire operation would fail and Siri would apologize, as if I gave half a hoot about her apologies.

Don't you also think it renders Siri much less useful to have to connect back to base for even stuff you do everyday (Like calling someone)?
It's extremely unreliable. To me it's ruined the iPhone far more than Apple Maps ever has or ever will.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I personally would like to see only one.
Siri is very handy on the road, just press a button and speak to perform common actions, like 'call my wife' etc.

I totally understand the need for statistics collection, but the fact that I ask Siri to call my wife and even if she understands me (which she usually does) if there is poor 3G reception she waits until she can contact apple to make that call. At times it takes minutes, which is completely unacceptable for an Apple product, or the entire operation would fail and Siri would apologize, as if I gave half a hoot about her apologies.

Don't you also think it renders Siri much less useful to have to connect back to base for even stuff you do everyday (Like calling someone)?
It's extremely unreliable. To me it's ruined the iPhone far more than Apple Maps ever has or ever will.

I'm not clear on how one poorly functioning app ruins the iPhone. If you feel Siri stinks, don't use it. But the phone actually does some other stuff...this is one function you don't like and it "ruins" the phone?:confused:

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Siri's brains are located at Apple's headquarters. That's why you experience the problems you describe in situations where you don't have 3G.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I love Siri. I use her (it) on a daily basis. But does anyone feel like she has become less knowledgeable and understanding since launch? In the past, I almost never had to correct the interpretation. While I wouldn't say it's a frequent occurrence nowadays it's definitely more often. It just seems like she knows what I want less often now too.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wish she could understand me better. She's hopeless at names not in my contact list, so she hopeless at directions. Entering an address is kind of a pain for me when I should be able to say it.

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2011
I'm not clear on how one poorly functioning app ruins the iPhone. If you feel Siri stinks, don't use it. But the phone actually does some other stuff...this is one function you don't like and it "ruins" the phone?:confused:

Yes, that was admittedly overstating it.
I'm just saying, as a feature that Apple pushes, and with Apple's super-high standards, I don't know how it's acceptable for the action to take up to two minutes (no lie!). Siri is super-useful in the car, if it works. Bunch of other competing apps have a similar service that takes seconds to execute from command. I like siri, but the reliability is the lowest I've seen on any Apple product.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
As for whether or not this would be included in iOS 7, I don't know, but this is my own personal wish.

I agree; I think Siri should be able to complete certain tasks without an internet connection. For instance: calling a contact, replying to a missed call with one of the preset responses, and playing music just to mention a few off the top of my head. I think this is becoming less of a need now that we have nearly constant internet access, but it would speed up some of these functions. I mean these are crucial tasks that, like you mentioned, can take Siri minutes just to process.

Maybe Siri is getting slower because more people are using the service? When I first got my iPhone 5 it worked perfectly. Now, Siri is working kind of slow. Which is a shame as I actually use it a lot for when I'm on the road. I'm able to use the EarPods under my helmet on my motorcycle and the microphone works awesome when I'm going at slow speeds or I'm at a stoplight. However, Siri can't even tell me the time some of the time. Which is depressing when compared to something like Google's service, which works virtually 100%.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
If the normal Voice Control doesn't require an internet connection, I would appreciate if Siri would fall back on that when there is a poor signal/no connection.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
If the normal Voice Control doesn't require an internet connection, I would appreciate if Siri would fall back on that when there is a poor signal/no connection.

I honestly can't remember, but I thought Voice Control did require at least some connection to the web. Maybe I'm mistaken. I don't see why Siri couldn't. I mean, even at Razr back in the gap could dial a contact using voice, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't using data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.