PDA

View Full Version : annoying Quicktime update message

mike czech
Dec 18, 2002, 02:20 PM
I get an annoying message every time I either launch classic or re-start in OS9. It says:

"Some of your QuickTime software is out of date. You can fix this problem by updating to the latest version" There is a "cancel" option or "update now" option, and clicking the "update now" does nothing.

I have the latest QT installed under OSX 10.2, but this message comes up whenever I enter the realm of OS9.

ANYONE know how to disable this pop-up message??

dricci
Dec 18, 2002, 02:41 PM
Maybe try downloading the latest version of OS 9 quicktime from Apple's site?

mike czech
Dec 18, 2002, 03:24 PM
Whoa. Thanks for the quick reply. That worked!

I didn't think that I would have to install 2 different versions of QT for it to work on both OS platforms... I appreciate your help!

King Cobra
Dec 18, 2002, 07:21 PM
Yeah. It's kind of a pain. There is a Quicktime for OS X and a Quicktime for OS 9. Just like there is an iTunes for OS X and an iTunes for OS 9.

So if you run both OSs and you use Quicktime + the internet often you will need both versions.

yamadataro
Dec 19, 2002, 07:09 AM
Speaking of the annoying QT messages, does anyone know how to skip that splash window that tries to sell Pro edition?

King Cobra
Dec 19, 2002, 04:54 PM
Get Quicktime Pro.

Purchasing and registering most shareware apps will get rid of those annoying reminders. In this case, Quicktime is no exception. With Quicktime, however, the reminder just occurs less often.

yamadataro
Dec 19, 2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Purchasing and registering most shareware apps will get rid of those annoying reminders. In this case, Quicktime is no exception. With Quicktime, however, the reminder just occurs less often.

As I understand, QT Player is a freeware, isn't it? I know the difference between player and pro is just the serial number input, but Apple never said it's a shareware.

Microsoft does this kind of promotional stuff all the time, but I find this QT message very not-Apple. I don't know any other Apple software doing it on my face :mad: