PDA

View Full Version : iTunes NOT recognizing iPod on Desktop

CPBurrowes
Nov 2, 2005, 11:23 PM
I've visited many site over the past several weeks, but I haven't seen my problem discussed anywhere. Please help if you can. About a month ago, my iPod died while being synced to my desktop Apple, and the iPod was replaced at my local Apple Store. Before this happened, I was using iPod.iTunes and iTunes had not been updated. Since then, the desktop computer has never recognized the new iPod. Occasionally the iPod screen will say "Do not disconnect" when linked to the computer, but when that happens the iPod icon doesn't show up on the desktop or in iTunes. Funny thing is, the iPod syncs just fine with my Powerbook. Both the Powerbook and desktop are running the latest version of iTunes. Could this problem be caused by a corrupted preference file? How do I find and delete such a file in OS X?

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 12:00 AM
Spotlight's brilliant for finding preference files in Tiger, if it applies. However, before you go deleting preferences, try a different port on the desktop Mac. What sort of Mac is it by the way?

Also, when it's plugged in, does Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) recognise it? How about the iPod Software Updater? :)

wgr73
Nov 3, 2005, 01:00 PM
Same problem...seems to work fine on one of my other computers though.:confused:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=158677

CPBurrowes
Nov 3, 2005, 02:07 PM
Spotlight's brilliant for finding preference files in Tiger, if it applies. However, before you go deleting preferences, try a different port on the desktop Mac. What sort of Mac is it by the way?

Also, when it's plugged in, does Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) recognise it? How about the iPod Software Updater? :)

I've tried a different port on the Cube. Disk Utility does NOT recognize the iPod. And the iPod Updater does NOT either:( I tried reinstalling the iPod software from a disk, but I get this message: "iPod Updater 2004-08-06 cannot be installed on this computer. This update requires the Mac OS X Networking Update."