Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Hi all

I have a pre-unibody Macbook Pro, which still runs good enough, besides the start up time, which can take 2-3 minutes. So I'm thinking about going back to Lion. But I was wondering which are some special abilities of Mountain Lion that aren't there in Lion.

What I use a lot and was wondering if it was already available in Lion:

- Interactive corners (don't know the correct term in English, but you know, you move your mouse to a corner and it shows what you preset in Preferences)

- iCloud

- Notification Center, I do know this isn't available in Lion, but I guess I could live without it, I did it before :)

Any other special abilities I looked over, besides the new dock?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Notification Center, improved iCloud integration, many refinements to GUI elements (you'll notice when they're gone), Share available throughout, many internal technology improvements and new APIs, dictation, and..... Apple.com has a "what's new" page that has a more complete list.

Startup time shouldn't change much. To avoid the question entirely, just put the machine to sleep. It wakes up almost instantly and doesn't draw down the battery much unless you are letting it sleep for more than a 2-3 days. There's really no other reason to regularly shutdown.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I have a pre-unibody Macbook Pro, which still runs good enough, besides the start up time, which can take 2-3 minutes. So I'm thinking about going back to Lion. But I was wondering which are some special abilities of Mountain Lion that aren't there in Lion.
Mountain Lion should not take that long to boot up. So that is "a problem you are having on your computer", not "an inherent failing of 10.8". It can therefore be fixed, most likely. I would verify and repair the disk, for starters.

The Ars Technica website has a very detailed review of Mountain Lion, listing all the features and frameworks.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
I recently did a complete reinstall of ML, but this didn't change anything to the start up time. So i really don't know what is wrong, the smart status of the hd is still fine...

Thanks!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
the smart status of the hd is still fine...
SMART Status is not the only or the complete indicator of everything on your drive. Your file structure can have problems, and that has no bearing on your SMART status. Equally, your SMART status can be fine right up to the moment the drive fails.
Boot to the Recovery PArtition, run Disk Utility and Repair DISK. (NB: Disk, not Permissions. Permissions does almost nothing.)

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Already did that.

Is it possible due to disk is partitioned because of bootcamp?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
- Interactive corners (don't know the correct term in English, but you know, you move your mouse to a corner and it shows what you preset in Preferences)

- iCloud

- Notification Center, I do know this isn't available in Lion, but I guess I could live without it, I did it before :)
  • Hot Corners has been around for a long time in OS X.
  • For iCloud, some of the features yes, some no.
  • No notification center.

I recently did a complete reinstall of ML, but this didn't change anything to the start up time. So i really don't know what is wrong, the smart status of the hd is still fine...

Thanks!
The Smart Status of my last hd was good right up until the drive failed. I do recommend that you have good backups of your system. Also, how much RAM does your system have?

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Yeah I do keep frequent backups, the drive is almost 5,5 years old...

It has 4gb, never had any page-outs and I also don't have any problems or slowness once it's up and running, it's just the start up time that's way too long.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yeah I do keep frequent backups, the drive is almost 5,5 years old...

It has 4gb, never had any page-outs and I also don't have any problems or slowness once it's up and running, it's just the start up time that's way too long.
Do you have a lot of applications that open up at startup?

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
No.

Even after the complete clean reinstall the startup time remained the same 2-3 minutes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.