PDA

View Full Version : Weird RAM stories

disconap
Nov 3, 2005, 02:28 AM
So I have this dimm of 256mb PC100 RAM that simply will not work in my Sawtooth. I thought it was dead, or incompatible somehow (I have PC100 that won't work with Macs), but I dropped it into my G3 (early b/w, uses same RAM as the Sawtooth) and presto! It works. Ran several RAM tests on it, all came out fine. Anyone alse have weird issues like that?

superbovine
Nov 3, 2005, 02:41 AM
So I have this dimm of 256mb PC100 RAM that simply will not work in my Sawtooth. I thought it was dead, or incompatible somehow (I have PC100 that won't work with Macs), but I dropped it into my G3 (early b/w, uses same RAM as the Sawtooth) and presto! It works. Ran several RAM tests on it, all came out fine. Anyone alse have weird issues like that?

the ram slot itself could be bad or needs to be cleaned.

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 02:42 AM
It's quite common for different computers to be more picky about their RAM than others. I've found the original iMac G5 to be one of the worst when it comes to not accepting RAM that other Power Macs and PCs are fine with.

Heb1228
Nov 3, 2005, 03:04 AM
PowerMacs are usually more forgiving with what RAM they will use. iMacs and notebooks tend to be more finicky.

disconap
Nov 3, 2005, 09:47 PM
the ram slot itself could be bad or needs to be cleaned.

I thought that too. But I swapped a 128 from the G3 into the G4 and it works fine, so it's some very bizarre incompatibility issue...