PDA

View Full Version : [Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. -HackerWayne

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

hackerwayne
Jun 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
We'll be downloading it first hand and get it tested out :P - From HackerWayne & MLForAll (MLPostFactor)

What we know so far.

- Won't work with anything that doesn't run Mountain Lion.
- EFI64 only, just like 10.8.
- 64-bit support for older Macs (that currently runs MLPFv0.3) is not going to be easy as many things has changed.

SUCCESS!!! Maverick on old 2006 iMac!! Pics up later.

Got it working on X3100 based MacBooks too. Tons of issues. Bugs and glitches everywhere and graphics doesn't quite work yet. Its gonna be like how MLPF started at first. So be patient. :)

IllmasterMath
Jun 10, 2013, 07:20 PM
Sub'd. Looking forward to another successful thread, HackerWayne.

maflynn
Jun 10, 2013, 07:38 PM
[MOD NOTE]
Lets keep not start asking for links to Mavericks, that violates the warez rules we have in place

b]Warez/Serials/Keys.[/b] Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

Lil Chillbil
Jun 10, 2013, 08:05 PM
I would like to point out that I myself am a paying developer and got my copy downloaded and installed and would like to see if it would work on a mac pro 1,1

it feels sorta like snow leopard

hackerwayne
Jun 10, 2013, 10:16 PM
Right, finally im able to access the Mac Dev Center. (went to sleep last night) im downloading it now. Will be trying it out today.

rezzo
Jun 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
Good luck HackerWayne & MLForAll!
MavericksPostFactor :o

street.cory
Jun 11, 2013, 12:33 PM
I would like to point out that I myself am a paying developer and got my copy downloaded and installed and would like to see if it would work on a mac pro 1,1

it feels sorta like snow leopard

If Mavericks feels like Snow Leopard, I will kiss Craig Federighi on the mouth.

I miss Snow Leopard.

Colpeas
Jun 11, 2013, 03:25 PM
Just hypothetically - wouldn't it be possible to run Mavericks at least on older MacPros and XServes if they were fitted with a proper video card? I mean - using some kind on Chameleon bootloader or whatever to boot directly to 64-bit...

tpho
Jun 11, 2013, 03:27 PM
If Mavericks feels like Snow Leopard, I will kiss Craig Federighi on the mouth.

I miss Snow Leopard.

Where else would you kiss him? :eek::confused::D:):o:rolleyes: O_O

hackerwayne
Jun 12, 2013, 05:11 AM
SUCCESS! Maverick running on older Macs. Pictures wil be up later

tpho
Jun 12, 2013, 07:57 AM
Since it uses OpenGL 4.1 this probably means the end of support for Pre-2007ish Macbooks.

batmanofzurenar
Jun 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
You guys should probably just stick with the Chameleon method as it's been a piece of cake for me. I used it to install ML a year ago, (Although I do admit I did have trouble doing so at first) and it's been doing me fine ever since. OS updates and all install properly too. Now when OS X Mavericks was available all I had to do was fire up Chameleon wizard and update the boot loader, create a bootable Mavericks Install disc, and install the system. every things working fine out of the box. Took me no more than an hour.

EDIT: forgot to mention this was all done on my Mac Pro 1,1 /w AMD Radeon 6870 (I think it's a 6870 - need to check later)

EDIT 2: Also, I wouldn't recommend using the Chameleon method if you use BootCamp / have Windows installed. Chameleon and the Windows boot loader can make some funky stuff happen when put in the same room if your not careful 0_o

hackerwayne
Jun 13, 2013, 06:37 AM
Since it uses OpenGL 4.1 this probably means the end of support for Pre-2007ish Macbooks.

Oh really? nevermind. Let the picture explain it for you.

hackerwayne
Jun 13, 2013, 06:38 AM
You guys should probably just stick with the Chameleon method as it's been a piece of cake for me. I used it to install ML a year ago, (Although I do admit I did have trouble doing so at first) and it's been doing me fine ever since. OS updates and all install properly too. Now when OS X Mavericks was available all I had to do was fire up Chameleon wizard and update the boot loader, create a bootable Mavericks Install disc, and install the system. every things working fine out of the box. Took me no more than an hour.

EDIT: forgot to mention this was all done on my Mac Pro 1,1 /w AMD Radeon 6870 (I think it's a 6870 - need to check later)

EDIT 2: Also, I wouldn't recommend using the Chameleon method if you use BootCamp / have Windows installed. Chameleon and the Windows boot loader can make some funky stuff happen when put in the same room if your not careful 0_o

You forgot about MacBook, iMac and MacBook Pro users. :P

EDIT: Mac Minis too.

LarmanF
Jun 13, 2013, 06:54 AM
Currently I'm running a mid-2008 iMac, so will presumable I'll be able to upgrade to Mavericks?

Also, I don't currently have Mountain Lion, but if it's required for an update to Mavericks is it worth getting it now and making good use of it until Mavericks is released, instead of buying both OS updates one straight after the other?

tpho
Jun 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
Oh really? nevermind. Let the picture explain it for you.

So you got the right resolution on your Macbook and a translucent menu bar. I don't see how that translates to OpenGL 4 support... unless the OpenGL 4 components of the OS are optional.:confused:

Embio
Jun 13, 2013, 05:57 PM

And one Air ;-)

EDIT: and some XServes....

mwhities
Jun 14, 2013, 11:30 AM

MacPro1,1 user here too. I'll need to try your recommendations. That'd be awesome.

Do you know if my card will work/is supported? (open to anyone to answer.)

teameurox
Jun 14, 2013, 05:02 PM

What did you update on Chameleon? I'm running a 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 firmware with x5355's and dual ati 5770's. I'm in the process of redoing my ML setup and Chameleon boot loader since I did a clone copy to get Mountain Lion running.(I'm starting from scratch so I can have clean installs ran into SMC issues from MBP install on the mac pro) Did you follow Jabbawok's guide for setting it up?

53kyle
Jun 16, 2013, 12:44 AM
What did you update on Chameleon? I'm running a 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 firmware with x5355's and dual ati 5770's. I'm in the process of redoing my ML setup and Chameleon boot loader since I did a clone copy to get Mountain Lion running.(I'm starting from scratch so I can have clean installs ran into SMC issues from MBP install on the mac pro) Did you follow Jabbawok's guide for setting it up?

I might have misunderstood what you were saying, but if you were "redoing your ML setup" why don't you use MLPF instead of chameleon?

batmanofzurenar
Jun 16, 2013, 10:19 AM

lol - You do have a point XD

----------

MacPro1,1 user here too. I'll need to try your recommendations. That'd be awesome.

Do you know if my card will work/is supported? (open to anyone to answer.)

Not sure, although it seems like people are having problems with that card on the PC side of the hackintosh community. Only way to know for sure is to test it yourself I guess.. unless you have another lying anywhere.

----------

I used Jabbawok's guide to install ML, then updated Chameleon to the newest version and replaced my SMBIOS with a Mac Pro 4,1 one using "Chameleon Wizard". After that I Installed Mavericks (CLEAN INSTALL, formatted Macintosh HD), and that was it.

I'm analyzing everything on my system and checking what EXACTLY I did to see if I can write some sort of a tutorial for you guys.

PeterHolbrook
Jun 16, 2013, 10:38 AM
I used Jabbawok's guide to install ML, then updated Chameleon to the newest version and replaced my SMBIOS with a Mac Pro 4,1 one using "Chameleon Wizard". After that I Installed Mavericks (CLEAN INSTALL, formatted Macintosh HD), and that was it.

A fellow owner of a Mac Pro 1,1 reported in Jabbawok's blog that his newly installed Mavericks lacks sound and can't handle his SATA-connected Blu-ray recorder (or player?). He also reports his Mac won't wake up from sleep (I myself experience this in ML, but I don't actually care). Have you experienced such shortcomings?

batmanofzurenar
Jun 16, 2013, 10:54 AM
A fellow owner of a Mac Pro 1,1 reported in Jabbawok's blog that his newly installed Mavericks lacks sound and can't handle his SATA-connected Blu-ray recorder (or player?). He also reports his Mac won't wake up from sleep (I myself experience this in ML, but I don't actually care). Have you experienced such shortcomings?

Havent experienced any of those, although I never tried connect my Blu-ray drive to my Mac Pro 1,1 so I can't comment on that.

PeterHolbrook
Jun 16, 2013, 11:00 AM
Havent experienced any of those, although I never tried connect my Blu-ray drive to my Mac Pro 1,1 so I can't comment on that.

Then, does sound work for you?

batmanofzurenar
Jun 16, 2013, 11:39 AM
Then, does sound work for you?

Yup it does.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b540/batmanofzurenarh/Screen01_zps57709fca.png

batmanofzurenar
Jun 16, 2013, 09:42 PM
Who wants to try out my OS X 10.9 DP on Mac Pro 1,1 guide? BE MY GUINEA PIG!!!! or not... your choice XD

http://wp.me/p1NdqU-7

Took me 14 hours straight to write and put together. That's right 14 hours non-stop folks... well anyways, if somethings not working or if I made any mistakes just leave a comment and I'll check it out and fix it.

Don't forget to thank Jabbawok & netkas for their hard work!

mwhities
Jun 16, 2013, 09:52 PM
Who wants to try out my OS X 10.9 DP on Mac Pro 1,1 guide? BE MY GUINEA PIG!!!! or not... your choice XD

Took me 14 hours straight to write and put together. That's right 14 hours non-stop folks... well anyways, if somethings not working or if I made any mistakes just leave a comment and I'll check it out and fix it.

I'll try it this week. Had you posted this a few hours ago, I'd tried it.

batmanofzurenar
Jun 16, 2013, 09:57 PM
I'll try it this week. Had you posted this a few hours ago, I'd tried it.

lol just finished it like an hour ago :p

PeterHolbrook
Jun 17, 2013, 03:37 AM

Many thanks for your efforts. I wouldn't mind creating a Mavericks Fusion VM from scratch. I suppose your guide can be adapted to create a Mavericks Install DMG that might be used for creating a virtual machine. I tried doing so twice last week, but did not succeed. The only thing I saw was the Apple logo, the spinning wheel and, finally, a crossed-circle forbidden sign. Do you have any pointers as to how to create such a DMG installer?

Peloche
Jun 17, 2013, 04:02 AM

Hi BATMANOFZURENARH,

Thanks for your guide :)

For me within point 4):

4) Next we will need to bless the boot partition (Startup Disk).
In terminal run

sudo bless –folder /Volumes/BOOT –file /Volumes/BOOT/boot –setBoot –legacy

should be changed with:

sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/ -file /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/boot –setStartup\ Disk -legacy

What do you think ?

batmanofzurenar
Jun 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
Hi BATMANOFZURENARH,

Thanks for your guide :)

For me within point 4):

4) Next we will need to bless the boot partition (Startup Disk).
In terminal run

sudo bless –folder /Volumes/BOOT –file /Volumes/BOOT/boot –setBoot –legacy

should be changed with:

sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/ -file /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/boot –setStartup\ Disk -legacy

What do you think ?

lol I'll fix that. Thanks XD

JacquesL
Jun 17, 2013, 09:34 AM

Looks like there was one search/replace too many.
The actual syntax should be

sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/ -file /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/boot –setBoot -legacy

the "Boot" in -setBoot should not be replaced with "Startup Disk" :)

Peloche
Jun 17, 2013, 09:57 AM
Looks like there was one search/replace too many.
The actual syntax should be

sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/ -file /Volumes/Startup\ Disk/boot –setBoot -legacy

the "Boot" in -setBoot should not be replaced with "Startup Disk" :)

Hi Jacques,

You could be right but i made it as i mentionned and it worked, original is at netkas site by MacEFIRom and it was :

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacy

Boot with a B was the name of the partition to bless it's why i replaced it with the partition name.

Did you try it as you wrote it ?

----------

No worries it works well, i was one of the guinea pig and Mavericks works now on my MacPro 2006 and on my Hack :).

Congrats for your work batmanofzurenar!

batmanofzurenar
Jun 17, 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi Jacques,

You could be right but i made it as i mentionned and it worked, original is at netkas site by MacEFIRom and it was :

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacy

Boot with a B was the name of the partition to bless it's why i replaced it with the partition name.

Did you try it as you wrote it ?

----------

No worries it works well, i was one of the guinea pig and Mavericks works now on my MacPro 2006 and on my Hack :).

Congrats for your work batmanofzurenar!

Glad I was able to help :D -- So you can confirm that everything's working out of the box?

Peloche
Jun 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
Glad I was able to help :D -- So you can confirm that everything's working out of the box?

Yeap but only what i've been able to test... up to now.

I hope that Jacques will light us about setBoot to be sure for others.

hackerwayne
Jun 17, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mavericks on Mac Pro 1,1 without Chameleon :) 64-bit. Modified boot.efi and Mach_Kernel. Test is going on now. So far no iMessage, FaceTime or iCloud due to NVRAM incompatibility. Will try to get that sorted

Peloche
Jun 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mavericks on Mac Pro 1,1 without Chameleon :) 64-bit. Modified boot.efi and Mach_Kernel. Test is going on now. So far no iMessage, FaceTime or iCloud due to NVRAM incompatibility. Will try to get that sorted

Hi hackerwayne,

Ooops this could be the best :rolleyes:, good luck

Peloche
Jun 17, 2013, 01:20 PM
@batmanofzurenar,

I read again your guide up to the end, i saw your mods for blessing, but your credit :

All credit is due to the incredible Jabbawok, netkas, and (some guy who’s name escapes me from the insanelymac forum)

is missing someone who started all ML story for Mac Pro 1.1, whithout him we may won't be able to install ML and up, his Netkas forum user name is MacEFIRom, http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1123.0.html , thanks a lot to him.

mwhities
Jun 17, 2013, 01:22 PM

This would be great. Please post up when you can.

MEKAO
Jun 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
we'll be downloading it first hand and get it tested out :p - from hackerwayne & mlforall (mlpostfactor)

what we know so far.

- won't work with anything that doesn't run mountain lion.
- efi64 only, just like 10.8.
- 64-bit support for older macs (that currently runs mlpfv0.3) is not going to be easy as many things has changed.

Success!!! Maverick on old 2006 imac!! Pics up later.

Got it working on x3100 based macbooks too. Tons of issues. Bugs and glitches everywhere and graphics doesn't quite work yet. Its gonna be like how mlpf started at first. So be patient. :)???????????????????

MEKAO
Jun 20, 2013, 01:04 AM
We'll be downloading it first hand and get it tested out :P - From HackerWayne & MLForAll (MLPostFactor)

What we know so far.

- 64-bit support for older Macs (that currently runs MLPFv0.3) is not going to be easy as many things has changed.

Got it working on X3100 based MacBooks too. Tons of issues. Bugs and glitches everywhere and graphics doesn't quite work yet. Its gonna be like how MLPF started at first. So be patient. :)
Can you give me an installation tutorial you figure demonstrates and explains?

hackerwayne
Jun 21, 2013, 12:38 PM
???????????????????

Are you seriously running MLPF on Mavericks? Obviously that wouldn't work >.<. Ill post it up once i get some stuffs sorted

MEKAO
Jun 21, 2013, 09:34 PM
Are you seriously running MLPF on Mavericks? Obviously that wouldn't work >.<. Ill post it up once i get some stuffs sorted

That how to install the Mavericks, you give me a tutorial? My English is not very good

robi62
Jun 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
@hackerwayne
Which kexts did u use for x3100 Cant seem to get qe/ci with the ones I have

SeenJeen
Jun 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Man oh man I would not try to get Mavs to run on a X3100 MacBook.

I think that is, bar none, the worst on-board GPU ever produced. It's much buggier than the 950 that came before it. I hated that MacBook and I was happy when I got rid of it.

It's cool that you can hack anything to work with anything, though! Keep up the good work :o

IllmasterMath
Jun 25, 2013, 06:13 PM
Bump for DP2 status

ferreguetti
Jun 28, 2013, 03:07 PM
As soon as anyone want me to try I can do it, will be looking for updates so I can try it out...

mishendr
Jul 3, 2013, 07:59 AM
Man oh man I would not try to get Mavs to run on a X3100 MacBook.

I think that is, bar none, the worst on-board GPU ever produced. It's much buggier than the 950 that came before it. I hated that MacBook and I was happy when I got rid of it.

It's cool that you can hack anything to work with anything, though! Keep up the good work :o

What kind of bugs then? I've been running my X3100 Macbook Late 2007 fine with 10.6, 10.7, and even now with 10.8 MLPF. No issues. I think you had hardware problems.

Spencer993
Jul 3, 2013, 04:13 PM
Good Luck @HackerWayne!!!!

I really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this so we can get a few more years out of our "computers" THX!!!

bolen
Jul 7, 2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks a lot for the write-up, I used your guide as a base for installing Mavericks on my MacMini1,1 (flashed to 2,1).

I had to replace the SMBios en dsdt with the ones for my mini and add the SL 64-bit kext for the Intel GMA 950.

Now I have Mavericks running in 64-bit, albeit a bit slow thanks to the slow 64-bit GMA kexts. I'm planning to use the mini as a server so it's OK for me!

-----

Still looking forward to a new MavericksPostFactor for getting my other Mini up and runnings on Mavericks with better performance.. but maybe that's wishful thinking.. getting Mavericks to boot in 32-bit!

Buddygor
Jul 10, 2013, 09:39 AM
Where else would you kiss him? :eek::confused::D:):o:rolleyes: O_O

The cheek? Wow, way to be dirty ;)

:apple::apple:
Noah Budgor

trintha
Jul 10, 2013, 10:51 AM
I gotta say, this is the coolest project I've seen in a long time. Awesome job and much props!

Buddygor
Jul 10, 2013, 11:07 AM

I'm testing on my MacBook 2,1. I'll use the SL GMA 950 kexts, I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT - I tried, but for some reason, either booting into the Chameleon disk, or the Install OS X disk resulted in a flashing Apple logo / no smoking sign / question mark folder loop. Any help? I did everything right, double-checked. I used a SMBIOS from a MacBook 4,1 which is supported.

Noah Budgor

hydemaki
Jul 11, 2013, 07:29 PM

i tested your "guide", step by step..
but when i reboot into chameleon disk, it says not found bootable disk..
what should i do for this?

Kaoman
Jul 14, 2013, 01:57 AM
i would like to be a beta tester of this app , im nowhere near affodring a mac :( :( so this is as close as it gets

@hackerwayne is there a beta to your MVPF app :) if thats what you'll call it

bolen
Jul 16, 2013, 12:00 AM
I'm testing on my MacBook 2,1. I'll use the SL GMA 950 kexts, I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT - I tried, but for some reason, either booting into the Chameleon disk, or the Install OS X disk resulted in a flashing Apple logo / no smoking sign / question mark folder loop. Any help? I did everything right, double-checked. I used a SMBIOS from a MacBook 4,1 which is supported.

Noah Budgor

Had the same issue on my mini when trying it out..

I had this issue when trying to boot Chameleon of a USB drive, I guess there could be some incompatibility on certain drives.

I ended up partitioning the internal drive into 3 partitions (1 chameleon boot, 1 mavericks installer and 1 "Macintosh HD" for installation).

You will need to use GPT partition table (even though guides props for MBR on Chameleon), otherwise you cannot install Mavericks on any partition on that drive.

You can later on "hide" (a.k.a. leave unmounted) the boot/installer partition in OS X, google for guides.

bobobobo
Jul 16, 2013, 06:34 AM
Still wait patch for my MacBook 2,1 :cool:

hydemaki
Jul 19, 2013, 11:09 AM

What we know so far.

where i can get X3100 driver and audio driver for mavericks?

pupin
Jul 24, 2013, 02:38 PM
Hi,

Any chance you could share the Mavericks boot.efi?
I don't need anything else, and won't bother with further questions, but I do need the patched boot.efi.

Thanks in advance!

Music.Leecher
Jul 28, 2013, 09:23 PM
I've been able to instal Mavericks on my Black MB 3,1. :D Did a clean install. Did all updates to DP4 and still runs fine.
Installation was pretty easy, just had to modify the PlatformSupport.plist on CoreServices and com.apple.recovery.boot, and InstallableMachines.plist (locate in System/Instalation/Packages/) and modify OSInstall.mpkg to have the installer run.
After installing, just had to replace the PlatformSupport.plist on the HD and it worked just fine!

Problems: Graphics and sound not working out of the box.

Placed the SL 64bit kexts, no improvement besides showing that I was using the built-in display, had the GMA X3100 and external monitors now work.
Will try the MLPostFactor kexts and OpenGL.framework and see what happens...

Placed the AppleHDA.kext from the MLPostFactor, no good yet... Maybe lacking other dependencies? Still working on that...

I have no problem in helping you hackerwayne! ;)

Music.Leecher
Jul 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
Got sound working, but no luck with graphics.

Tried replacing OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks, and placing the kexts from the v0.3 MLPF but no luck, Finder just crashes.
So I'm stuck with the SL 64bit kexts until this project goes further... :(

EDIT: No sleep too.

hackerwayne
Jul 30, 2013, 02:06 AM
I've been able to instal Mavericks on my Black MB 3,1. :D Did a clean install. Did all updates to DP4 and still runs fine.
Installation was pretty easy, just had to modify the PlatformSupport.plist on CoreServices and com.apple.recovery.boot, and InstallableMachines.plist (locate in System/Instalation/Packages/) and modify OSInstall.mpkg to have the installer run.
After installing, just had to replace the PlatformSupport.plist on the HD and it worked just fine!

Problems: Graphics and sound not working out of the box.

Placed the SL 64bit kexts, no improvement besides showing that I was using the built-in display, had the GMA X3100 and external monitors now work.
Will try the MLPostFactor kexts and OpenGL.framework and see what happens...

Placed the AppleHDA.kext from the MLPostFactor, no good yet... Maybe lacking other dependencies? Still working on that...

I have no problem in helping you hackerwayne! ;)

Files from MLPF won't work as thats designed for 32-bit kernels. MVPF is in the works and will only be released as beta after GM version of Mavericks.

Music.Leecher
Jul 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
Files from MLPF won't work as thats designed for 32-bit kernels. MVPF is in the works and will only be released as beta after GM version of Mavericks.

Yup, I remembered that the MLPF files wouldn't help unless I could get a 32-bit kernel running on Mavericks... :(

Anyway, I have a MacBook 3,1 and can help you out with the testing on this platform.
Hope to good news from this project of your, just like MLPF! ;)

bolen
Aug 1, 2013, 07:22 AM
Got sound working, but no luck with graphics.

Tried replacing OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks, and placing the kexts from the v0.3 MLPF but no luck, Finder just crashes.
So I'm stuck with the SL 64bit kexts until this project goes further... :(

EDIT: No sleep too.

What did you do to get sound working?

I've installed Mavericks on a Mini 1,1 and I'm missing sound and wifi.

I have the SL 64-bit GMA950 kext running slow but good enough (will be a headless server). I think the sleep issue is caused by the graphics kext not being fully operational.

RV-ABZ
Aug 6, 2013, 05:59 AM
I think the sleep issue is caused by the graphics kext not being fully operational.
It could be...

I've no older Mac to test Mavericks with, but I did install 10.9 updated to DP4 on my Dell D430 GMA950 & D630 X3100. Everything works, except graphics acceleration of course. Sleep works but waking the laptops will cause screen to go all garbled, so clearly graphics support is required there.

mcrum23
Aug 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
@Hackerwayne,

As you may or may not know Filevault to encrypt user account is unsupported with MLpostfactor (I tested myself, mac os just won't allow to reboot after activating Filevault).

Do you plan to make this an available feature with Maverick or it's a no go?
I ask this question in order to know if should buy Macfort or wait for Maverickpostfactor.

Thanks again :)

hackerwayne
Aug 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
@Hackerwayne,

As you may or may not know Filevault to encrypt user account is unsupported with MLpostfactor (I tested myself, mac os just won't allow to reboot after activating Filevault).

Do you plan to make this an available feature with Maverick or it's a no go?
I ask this question in order to know if should buy Macfort or wait for Maverickpostfactor.

Thanks again :)

No go for MLPF. Very buggy on MVPF

T909
Aug 27, 2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks a lot to you, guys.
I surely will try it when 10.9.4 will be released. Thanks for making my MacBook live longer, so I don't have to worry about getting a new computer.
I will donate to you soon)

Antoni Nygaard
Aug 30, 2013, 02:22 AM
I just upgraded my Mac Pro 1,2 from 10.8.4 to Mavericks Developer Preview 6 and i it's without problems so far.

Goftrey
Sep 10, 2013, 07:43 AM
I just upgraded my Mac Pro 1,2 from 10.8.4 to Mavericks Developer Preview 6 and i it's without problems so far.

Hi, what guide/tutorial did you follow? Cheers :)

Snowshiro
Sep 28, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hey guys. I've been fine on Lion for ages with my 1,1 but Apple have finally forced me to upgrade because Xcode 5 which I use a lot will only work on 10.8 or higher.

My problem is that I have an unflashed PC HD5770 as my graphics card, so I have no boot screen. This has been no problem for me until now, but the install process for Mavericks has this bit:

------

1) Now re-boot your Mac Pro and hold down the option key on your keyboard to bring up the list of drives.

2) Select “Startup Disk”, then tap the F8 key repeatedly until you see a list of bootable drives.

------

Anyone know how I can do this without a boot screen?

jeanlain
Sep 29, 2013, 03:06 AM

Hackintosh Sr.
Oct 4, 2013, 07:55 AM
GM is out wahooo!

Wondering if that still means you are releasing beta soon? Thanks

Antoni Nygaard
Oct 4, 2013, 12:49 PM
Just updated my Mac Pro 1,2 to GM build, no problems so far

kieranread
Oct 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
Any progress as the GM is out now? Not impatient just curious :)

Hennesie2000
Oct 5, 2013, 09:48 PM
Any progress as the GM is out now? Not impatient just curious :)

+1... going to be doing the x5365 upgrade to my Mac Pro 1,1 and would love to go straight from Lion to Mavericks.

kieranread
Oct 6, 2013, 03:06 AM
+1... going to be doing the x5365 upgrade to my Mac Pro 1,1 and would love to go straight from Lion to Mavericks.

Good! That generation of mac pro still has a lot of potential, I was hoping to be doing it on an early 2008 MacBook, It narrowly missed out on Mountain Lion too, Unsure whether this will be possible as it says it won't work on machines that count run ML, As the LATE 2008 was supported :eek:

jeanlain
Oct 6, 2013, 03:34 AM

I tried your method but I was stuck at some point because I needed another hard drive. Since chameleon is installed on an MBR partition and Mavericks on a GPT partition, I needed 3 HD total (since I wanted to keep my Lion partition and there was no room for an additional volume dedicated to Mavericks on that disk).

So I tried something else. Using my supported MacBook Pro, I installed Mavericks on the small SSD I initially used for Chameleon (which I repartitioned as GUID with just one volume). I then moved the SSD to the Mac Pro, added a partition to it (5GB) to install chameleon using your procedure (including the -bless command). This way, Mavericks was on the first volume of the disk (disk0s2) and chameleon on the 2nd (disk0s4). I was sure it wouldn't work since the disk was partionned using GPT and not MBR.
But it just worked! I rebooted, it took some time to launch mavericks and everything is working now (audio, iCloud, Messages). I haven't tried sleep though.
The only issue I have so far is that it detects another "ghost" monitor. I have a flashed radeon 4870. I'm not sure the issue has anything to do with it being flashed. Any suggestions to fix that? I suppose it has something to do with the Chameleon video settings.

To sum up:
- Install Mavericks GM on disk that has just one partition, using a supported Mac.
- Add a parition to that disk and install Chameleon on it using the instruction by batmanofzurenar (including the -bless command). Note that your disk may not be disk0, like mine. So you may need to modify the procedure.
- There's no step 3! I haven't even moved the boot and mach_kernel files to the Mavericks volume. It's just a vanilla Mavericks installed. However it required a supported Mac.

EDIT: fixed the ghost display issue with graphicsenabler = YES.
The only minor issues I have are incorrect resolution during the Apple logo and the Mac is long to put too sleep (20 sec maybe).

Hennesie2000
Oct 7, 2013, 07:01 PM
I tried your method but I was stuck at some point because I needed another hard drive. Since chameleon is installed on an MBR partition and Mavericks on a GPT partition, I needed 3 HD total (since I wanted to keep my Lion partition and there was no room for an additional volume dedicated to Mavericks on that disk).

So I tried something else. Using my supported MacBook Pro, I installed Mavericks on the small SSD I initially used for Chameleon (which I repartitioned as GUID with just one volume). I then moved the SSD to the Mac Pro, added a partition to it (5GB) to install chameleon using your procedure (including the -bless command). This way, Mavericks was on the first volume of the disk (disk0s2) and chameleon on the 2nd (disk0s4). I was sure it wouldn't work since the disk was partionned using GPT and not MBR.
But it just worked! I rebooted, it took some time to launch mavericks and everything is working now (audio, iCloud, Messages). I haven't tried sleep though.
The only issue I have so far is that it detects another "ghost" monitor. I have a flashed radeon 4870. I'm not sure the issue has anything to do with it being flashed. Any suggestions to fix that? I suppose it has something to do with the Chameleon video settings.

To sum up:
- Install Mavericks GM on disk that has just one partition, using a supported Mac.
- Add a parition to that disk and install Chameleon on it using the instruction by batmanofzurenar (including the -bless command). Note that your disk may not be disk0, like mine. So you may need to modify the procedure.
- There's no step 3! I haven't even moved the boot and mach_kernel files to the Mavericks volume. It's just a vanilla Mavericks installed. However it required a supported Mac.

The only minor issues I have are incorrect resolution during the Apple logo and the Mac is long to put too sleep (20 sec maybe).

I might have to give this a try. I have a a few MPB's and I could use one of them to build install like you did and then put the HDD in to my Mac Pro. What generation is your Mac Pro? i am running a non flashed GTX 570 so I hope I don't have any issues there.

Snowshiro
Oct 7, 2013, 07:50 PM
To sum up:

So, in theory, if you already have a Mac Pro 1,1 with Mountain Lion on it (using Chameleon), you should just be able to install Mavericks to the main OS partition using another Mac, and it'll run out of the box (because Chameleon will already be setup to boot that partition). If that's true, it just shows at best how lazy Apple are at supporting users with still capable machines, or at worst how they're forcing obsolescence on a Mac that could still easily run their latest OS.

My only concern is whether, by installing from an MBP, the installer makes certain choices during installation based on the hardware it detects, and leaves some vital files which the Mac Pro would benefit from, but the MBP doesn't use.

Hennesie2000
Oct 8, 2013, 01:45 PM
So, in theory, if you already have a Mac Pro 1,1 with Mountain Lion on it (using Chameleon), you should just be able to install Mavericks to the main OS partition using another Mac, and it'll run out of the box (because Chameleon will already be setup to boot that partition). If that's true, it just shows at best how lazy Apple are at supporting users with still capable machines, or at worst how they're forcing obsolescence on a Mac that could still easily run their latest OS.

My only concern is whether, by installing from an MBP, the installer makes certain choices during installation based on the hardware it detects, and leaves some vital files which the Mac Pro would benefit from, but the MBP doesn't use.

Good question... also, how well does Chameleon work with a dual boot? I use both OSX and Windows (they are on separate drives). Would I still be able to boot to windows? I currently use BootChamp to select the windows drive to boot and then BootCamp Control Panel when running windows to select the OSX drive since I am using a PC video card and don't have a boot screen.

Graeme43
Oct 8, 2013, 01:50 PM

I was running 10.8 on the 1,1 with chameleon and upgraded to 10.9 by extracting the image of 10.9 from the app store onto a spare hd then i stuck it inside and booted off... all great :D

jeanlain
Oct 8, 2013, 02:02 PM

I don't think that OS X is customized for your hardware, since booting from another Mac via target disk is supported.
And yes, I suppose it would just be possible to install Mavericks on the partition already setup for boot. I haven't modified any file. However, I'm not sure my installation is trouble-free yet. There a appears to be an issue with sleep (I get an error message in the console and the Mac goes to hibernate mode instead of simple sleep mode). And I wouldn't be surprised if it hanged on after a long sleep, as it seems to happen on other systems.

Snowshiro
Oct 8, 2013, 08:04 PM
I was running 10.8 on the 1,1 with chameleon and upgraded to 10.9 by extracting the image of 10.9 from the app store onto a spare hd then i stuck it inside and booted off... all great :D

So, you used Disk Utility to restore it to a HD partition and then just got Chameleon to boot it? Or something more complex? Hackerwayne & batmanofzurenarh seem to have gone awol recently, so I guess we may have to figure this out ourselves.

Hennesie2000
Oct 8, 2013, 10:30 PM
I have run into a bit of a snag... batmanofzurenarh's guide says to hold option and select the chameleon boot drive to get to the install. Well having an upgraded GPU that is not a flash one. I can't get to that screen. Currently I use bootchamp to choose my Windows hdd when I want to boot to that and then when I restart it defaults back to OS X.

The Chameleon partition does not show up in either the startup disk preference pane or bootchamp. I am not too familiar with how Chameleon handles the boot. Or if by blessing it, it chooses that partition to boot from by default.

Currently I have a 250GB drive formatted with two partitions, a 1GB with Chameleon installed and the rest is just free space where I was hoping to install OS X Mavericks but I am not sure if it being set up as MBR will cause any problems. I also made a bootable USB thumb drive installer with the Mavericks GM on it.

I am not sure where to go from here...

fiatlux
Oct 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but could someone confirm or point me to pros and cons of MLPF vs Chameleon?

To me, Chameleon is a software EFI64 emulation layer which enables installation and use 64bit kernels OS on older hardware. Only issues I see are a complicated setup (separate boot partition) and potential lack of 64 bit drivers for all hardware. But once up and running, the system should be stable and update-proof as it is essentially an unmodified OS install.

MLPF on the other hand appears to be a hack of Mountain Lion (and Mavericks) to let it work with 32bit kernels and drivers. To me, this appears, on paper at least, a much less desirable approach: it requires hacking key OS files which may have unidentified effects and may completely stop working after any OS update.

Do I miss something?

RV-ABZ
Oct 10, 2013, 03:11 AM
Chameleon is a bootloader that comes from the Hackintosh world and using it on a real Mac (something it was not made for) does indeed provide the ability to boot older Macs in 64bit mode for those that would not normally be able to (eg: Mac Pro 1,1) but have the complete potential to run ML or Mav (in 64bit mode).

MLPF (for ML only) can indeed be considered a less desirable method for several resaons:

it reverts to DP1 32/64bit ML kernel
it reverts to older Lion 32bit 10.7.5 graphics kexts + older OpenGL/OpenCL code
it was designed for systems with older graphics chips for which Apple dropped support with ML: Intel GMA950, Intel GMA X3100, nVidia GeForce7300, etc. Why? Simply because those chips do not support more recent OpenCL/OpenGL versions that were adopted in ML (that's called evolution...)
it provides somehow limited support for 64bit mode, the main focus on the onset really was on the ability to run ML in 32bit mode, since Apple only supported those graphics chips listed above in 32bit mode in Snow Leopard and Lion (no 64bit kexts)
there are naturally several bugs and/or limitations affecting features such as SMB connections or "i" apps (iMessage, etc.)
OS updates are blocked by default because they're not compatible with MLPF (they would overwrite the MLPF files). Provided MLPF supports the newer OS version, you either have to re-install the newer version with MLPF or update manually through combo update + reapply MLPF immediately, so it's a cumbersome process

You'll easily see that MLPF does not provide a "real" ML installation per sé, no matter what.

As such, for real Macs that could run ML or Mav in 64bit mode on paper (by that I mean all hardware would be supported in 64bit mode), it's easy to see that Chameleon is a much better alternative. In my opinion, MLPF (or MVPF if that ever sees daylight and keeps the same design philosophy as MLPF) should only be used on those older systems with graphics chips supported only in 32bit mode.

At the same time, one may wonder on the rationale for running newer OS X versions in such a "bastardised" way and with reduced graphics capability. Graphics capabilities evolve, Apple integrates them (so does Microsoft -> eg: Win7 on older GMA900 systems) so there comes a time when you simply have to say stop...

fiatlux
Oct 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
MLPF (for ML only) can indeed be considered a less desirable method for several resaons:

it was designed for systems with older graphics chips for which Apple dropped support with ML: Intel GMA950, Intel GMA X3100, nVidia GeForce7300, etc.

Thanks, and if I understand well, Chameleon+ML is a no-go on a late 2007 MacBook due to lacking drivers.

Too bad because I was willing to try installing Mavericks on it once my MacPro & MacMini were updated, just for the sake of maintaining a single OS version across my machines, but also to have the same up-to-date iCloud-related features.

RV-ABZ
Oct 10, 2013, 04:36 PM
Yes, it's a no go in the sense that there are no 64bit kexts for those older graphics chips, so no QE/CI (graphics acceleration) under vanilla ML. That renders systems next to unusable (slow graphics, artefacts, bad/no video watching, etc.).

To give you an example, albeit a Hackintosh one, I can install and run ML or Mavericks on my Dell Latitude D630 GMAX3100 but without graphics acceleration. Even with a high-end Penryn CPU (2.5GHz T9300, FSB800, 6Mo L2 cache), basic browsing in Safari causes graphics artefacts and slower reponse. Without full graphics support, there's just no point.

For those particular systems (Hackintoshes + older Mac with abandonned GPUs), yes MLPF is a better-than-nothing solution if you can live with its few limitations and/or bugs.

For a Mac that has hardware fully supported by ML or Mav but no capability to boot EFI64, opt for Chameleon without hesitation. You'd have the whole shebang, so as the old Galaxy advert said, "why have cotton when you can have silk?"

Snowshiro
Oct 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
I have run into a bit of a snag... batmanofzurenarh's guide says to hold option and select the chameleon boot drive to get to the install. Well having an upgraded GPU that is not a flash one. I can't get to that screen. Currently I use bootchamp to choose my Windows hdd when I want to boot to that and then when I restart it defaults back to OS X.

I had the same concerns when I upgraded to Mountain Lion on my 1,1 as I also have a flashed PC 5770 GPU with no boot screen, so I was worried about being able to make the partition selection at the boot screen. However, when I read some of the comments in the discussion below the guide it said that the "bless" command that you type in the terminal as part of the install is what determines which partition to boot from. So, as long as you use this command it will automatically select Chameleon on reboot if you just wait, and you don't need to hold down the option key. I tried it, and it worked fine for me.

Since batmanofzurenarh's guide for Mavericks seems to be largely based on the earlier Mountain Lion guide (it's word for word copy and paste in places) it also blesses the boot partition and I would guess you shouldn't have any problems.

By the way, just FYI, it's "bootcamp" (as opposed to champ).

Hennesie2000
Oct 10, 2013, 11:39 PM
I had the same concerns when I upgraded to Mountain Lion on my 1,1 as I also have a flashed PC 5770 GPU with no boot screen, so I was worried about being able to make the partition selection at the boot screen. However, when I read some of the comments in the discussion below the guide it said that the "bless" command that you type in the terminal as part of the install is what determines which partition to boot from. So, as long as you use this command it will automatically select Chameleon on reboot if you just wait, and you don't need to hold down the option key. I tried it, and it worked fine for me.

Since batmanofzurenarh's guide for Mavericks seems to be largely based on the earlier Mountain Lion guide (it's word for word copy and paste in places) it also blesses the boot partition and I would guess you shouldn't have any problems.

By the way, just FYI, it's "bootcamp" (as opposed to champ).

Ok, thanks.

An FYI there is something called BootChamp. I use it to select my windows drive to reboot into windows without having to open settings or hold in the option key.

Snowshiro
Oct 11, 2013, 12:36 AM
Ok, thanks.

An FYI there is something called BootChamp. I use it to select my windows drive to reboot into windows without having to open settings or hold in the option key.

Ahh, my bad - apologies. I assumed you were referring to the standard Apple boot screen. Most people only encounter for the first time it after they install boot camp/Windows and need to switch OS.

Hennesie2000
Oct 11, 2013, 12:59 AM
Ahh, my bad - apologies. I assumed you were referring to the standard Apple boot screen. Most people only encounter for the first time it after they install boot camp/Windows and need to switch OS.

No problem. I know I might have sound a bit noobish, it's just a bit new to me. I catch on quick though.

I am proud to say that I have had success using chameleon. I installed Mavericks on to a HDD formatted with 1 partition and GUID using a supported MacBook Pro. Setup the user and then shutdown. Installed the Mavericks HDD into my Mac Pro 1,1 and booted up 10.7.5. I then installed chameleon on to the same partition as the Mavericks install. Modified the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I also used the Chameleon Wizard to update to the latest release. Then I used the bless command. Reboot and all works. Sound, Resolution, Sleep, iCloud, iMessage. This method does not require a second boot drive or boot partition. It only requires a supported Mac. If you don't have one maybe you have a friend who does, and they are willing to lend it to you for 30 mins.

With a processor upgrade to 8 cores maybe I can get another few years out of it.

Update:
So it looks like sleep is not working or maybe its something else because my computer isn't set to sleep, just the screen to go off. Came in this morning and when the screen turned on it had KP'd over night at some point. This was however when running OS X 10.7.5 in 64bit mode.

Update 2:
iMessage is no longer working. I get an message saying "Could not sign in to iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again. Last night I was able to sign in fine

Update 3:
Got iMessage working again. Had to put a dylib file into a 'modules' folder inside the 'Extra' folder. Also for good measure I started over with a fresh SMBios.plist from batmanofzurenarh. Sleep DOES work with 10.9.

The inital boot screen (the grey one with the apple logo) is still not the right size but that no big deal.

schreiberstein
Oct 12, 2013, 12:12 PM
Hi!

I've just installed Mac OS X 10.8.5 on my Macmini2,1 (1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA950, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD) and it works ~95%-ly.
(Had to install 10.8.5 Combo Update using Terminal on ML-Install partition
("installer -pkg /Volumes/MacOSXComboxyz/xyz.pkg -target /Volumes/ML")
and my USB2-DAC caused Kernel Panics (Solved by replacing the Audio Kexts with 10.7.2 ones))
I used MLPostFactor v0.3.
The overall performance is significantly better than on Lion.
Browsing with Safari is much snappier than ever before.

I am now trying to get OS X Mavericks Golden Master up and running.
The 64-bit Intel GMA kext doesn't look promising, hence I'd like to stick with the Mountain Lion PostFactor mixture of kexts and mach_kernel.
I installed Mavericks (using a supported machine) to my USB harddrive, applied MLPostFactor on it (->10.8.4), reworked "SystemVersion.plist", added the Board-ID and Model-ID to PlatformSupport.plist, replaced the boot.efi with the MLPostFactor one (from the installed 10.8.5 system), "blessed" the boot.efi and rebooted...
To make a long story short: It doesn't work.
The kernel and its extensions gets loaded, but "launchd" doesn't show up in verbose mode. The system freezes (keyboard is ignored).
(Screenshot attached!)

My question is: Is there a solution for this, beside switching to 64-bit mode?
Or is that the end of i386-mode PostFactor?

I consider myself an experienced "hackintosher" and I would love to see my MacMini and MacBook working with the very latest version of Mac OS X. :apple:

Best regards! :)
Schreiberstein

EDIT: Not even 'chroot' is working... :( (Screenshot attached)
Indicates massive under-the-hood (API) changes :(
Chroot itself works fine -> "chroot"-ing into the Mountain Lion installer partition works flawlessly.

RV-ABZ
Oct 13, 2013, 01:36 AM
:p Did you seriously expect to boot Mavericks with a DP1 ML kernel, Lion 10.7.5 graphics kexts and several other older stuff? :eek:

Mavericks is 64bit only from the onset (i.e. DP1) and in the absence of stable 64bit graphics kexts for older GPUs, I very much doubt MVPF will ever see daylight.

schreiberstein
Oct 13, 2013, 05:47 AM
:p Did you seriously expect to boot Mavericks with a DP1 ML kernel, Lion 10.7.5 graphics kexts and several other older stuff? :eek:

Mavericks is 64bit only from the onset (i.e. DP1) and in the absence of stable 64bit graphics kexts for older GPUs, I very much doubt MVPF will ever see daylight.

Well... No...
I am very pessimistic about that, too.
But hope dies last! ;)

Wouldn't it be possible to recompile the Darwin 13.x.x kernel for i386 (IF it still compiles) once the sources are released, and use it for MVPF?

However...

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/if-theres-a-will-there-is-always-a-way.jpg

Rastafabi
Oct 13, 2013, 06:30 AM
Well... No...
But hope dies last! ;)

Wouldn't it be possible to recompile the Darwin 13.x.x kernel for i386 (IF it still compiles) once the sources are released, and use it for MVPF?
[...]

If MVPF (or what ever it will be called, ones it's realeased) will actually be available (what it is supposed to be as the original creators still are actively tweaking Mavericks to make it compatible to our hardware) it will be 64Bit only! This means, that at least at first GMA graphics will be limited to Mountain Lion and only ATI X1600 iMacs, MacBooks as well as MacPros (with upgraded GPUs) will be supported. Later on those graphics may gain Mavericks support.
For further information you should follow MLforALL on Twitter (https://mobile.twitter.com/MLforAll). You may also want to follow hackerwayne (https://mobile.twitter.com/Wayne_819) although he is not tweeting that much about the topic.

Best,
RastaFabi

PS.: I don't know about XServe machines as they don't have BIOS emulation, which seems to be neccessary for the upcoming release.

schreiberstein
Oct 13, 2013, 07:11 AM
If MVPF (or what ever it will be called, ones it's realeased) will actually be available (what it is supposed to be as the original creators still are actively tweaking Mavericks to make it compatible to our hardware) it will be 64Bit only! This means, that at least at first GMA graphics will be limited to Mountain Lion and only ATI X1600 iMacs, MacBooks as well as MacPros (with upgraded GPUs) will be supported. Later on those graphics may gain Mavericks support.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. :(

Snowshiro
Oct 13, 2013, 07:35 AM
Update 3:
Got iMessage working again. Had to put a dylib file into a 'modules' folder inside the 'Extra' folder.

Could you give a little more detail about this process?

rubberjabber
Oct 13, 2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the posts on here. Have spent a few hours today getting Mavericks up and running on my MacPro 1.1.

If anyone is experiencing any issues in getting Chameleon to boot (EBIOS errors, flashing cursor) , reset your PRAM and it'll kick into life ;)

jeanlain
Oct 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
On my Mac Pro 1.1, sleep is not working normally (it goes to hibernate mode, which takes longer), but otherwise it works ok. Waking up is very fast and it doesn't cause any bug as far as I can tell.

I too fixed the Messages login bug with the dylib file.
http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/01/fix-imessage-login-hackintosh-chameleon.html

Not need to reinstall chameleon, just drop the dylib file in the module folder and restart.

jakesaunders27
Oct 13, 2013, 03:13 PM
How do I go about installing Mavericks on my Mac Pro 1,1 it currently has 10.8.4 via MLPF on it, obviously I want to wait until the public release of Mavericks but by then will mavericks post factor be out? Thanks

RV-ABZ
Oct 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't wait for a possible MVPF to come out any time soon (if it ever does). Try to use Chameleon to install Mavericks on your MacPro1,1 especially if all hardware is supported in 64bit mode.

Hennesie2000
Oct 13, 2013, 07:52 PM
Could you give a little more detail about this process?Download this file (https://mega.co.nz/#!RQIXTRDS!G1SqB3vpP8jRjSBAGqRp8UXAsWgFV-8OqEGNSBTz2Nc)

Then create a folder inside the "Extra" folder named "modules". Place the downloaded file inside the modules folder and reboot. It worked after doing that.

Now I just need to get my dual boot with Windows 7 and Mavericks working. When I put in the Windows hard drive it just wants to boot to Windows or it gets right to the point where Chameleon would show on the screen gets stuck at a blinking cursor. Only thing I can do it press the power button to reboot. Dual booting with Lion and Mavericks works great (both on their own HDD)

jakesaunders27
Oct 14, 2013, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't wait for a possible MVPF to come out any time soon (if it ever does). Try to use Chameleon to install Mavericks on your MacPro1,1 especially if all hardware is supported in 64bit mode.

Is the GM basically the public release then? Is it stable enough to use until next OSX?

Snowshiro
Oct 14, 2013, 02:25 AM
Download this file (https://mega.co.nz/#!RQIXTRDS!G1SqB3vpP8jRjSBAGqRp8UXAsWgFV-8OqEGNSBTz2Nc)

Then create a folder inside the "Extra" folder named "modules". Place the downloaded file inside the modules folder and reboot. It worked after doing that.

Fantastic. Thanks mate - works great.

I think you mentioned before your Apple logo on the boot screen was stretched out? Did you have any luck fixing that? Weirdly it seems to be working fine for me. I always had a stretched logo on 10.8, but since I installed 10.9 it's been perfectly scaled.

Do you have the graphics mode in org.chameleon.Boot.plist set to the native resolution for your monitor? I'm not sure if that's what affects it, but might be worth a try.

lcmazza
Oct 14, 2013, 07:50 AM
Well... No...
But hope dies last! ;)

However...

Image (http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/if-theres-a-will-there-is-always-a-way.jpg)

I JUST LOVE THE PIC.

LOL :D

All of this reminds me of an old 386 I had without a co-processor and still I wanted to run 3D Studio v.3, even though I had to wait 10 hours to get a render of a single sphere on 640x480 pixels. :)

Hennesie2000
Oct 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
Fantastic. Thanks mate - works great.

I think you mentioned before your Apple logo on the boot screen was stretched out? Did you have any luck fixing that? Weirdly it seems to be working fine for me. I always had a stretched logo on 10.8, but since I installed 10.9 it's been perfectly scaled.

Do you have the graphics mode in org.chameleon.Boot.plist set to the native resolution for your monitor? I'm not sure if that's what affects it, but might be worth a try.

The problem lies in that my GTX 570 graphics card only supports 1024x768 in VESA mode. There are way of modifying the Bios on the card to add other resolutions like 1920x1080 to the table but people have mixed results and I don't have a spare GPU if something goes wrong. I do have the the graphics mode 1920x1080x32 in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist but it doesn't make any difference.

Update:
So I think my issue with the boot screen may actually because because I am using an HDMI connection. If I turn off overscan in the display preferences then my desktop is the same aspect/resolution as the boot screen. I might have to try booting with a VGA connection instead to see if that is the issue.

RV-ABZ
Oct 15, 2013, 03:15 AM
Is the GM basically the public release then? Is it stable enough to use until next OSX?
We'll know if GM is the public release when the public release goes out. Meantime, yes it's safe to use (it's as stable as any previous DP as far as I'm concerned), even though my laptop has developped a tendency to crap out and freeze in Safari after a wake. That's a new issue with GM for me but I did install it over DP8. So, who knows?...

Snowshiro
Oct 15, 2013, 04:23 AM
Update:
So I think my issue with the boot screen may actually because because I am using an HDMI connection. If I turn off overscan in the display preferences then my desktop is the same aspect/resolution as the boot screen. I might have to try booting with a VGA connection instead to see if that is the issue.

I see. I'm using DVI out on an Apple Cinema Display from a 5770HD if it helps (flashed PC card).

Hennesie2000
Oct 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
I see. I'm using DVI out on an Apple Cinema Display from a 5770HD if it helps (flashed PC card).

So my assumption was correct and it is an issue with overscan needing to be turned on when using a DVI to HDMI cable. My monitor doesn't have DVI so I used a DVI to VGA cable and then used the VGA port on the monitor and the boot screen shows up fine. I will have to try my GPU's mini HDMI out to HDMI and see if that also requires the overscan in system preferences or if it works.

yuser
Oct 15, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hello,

installed 10.9 GM on my MacPro 1,1 with ATI 4890.
I have upgraded from ML with myHack (to get the install partition and new version of Chameleon). I am asking myself if that was a mistake by now...

Now I have the problem that I can only boot with GraphicsEnabler=No. Everything else does not work, booting is not possible otherwise. So I have no QE/CI and basically a non-working graphics performance.

Can you please help?

I downloaded somewhere files which state that they are QE/CI patch for 10.9 GM. I used kext drop with AMD4800Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 to install. But it does still not boot without GraphicsEnabler=No. In the past with ML updates this always helped.

BR

Hennesie2000
Oct 15, 2013, 11:03 PM
If anyone wants it, here is the Extra folder that I am using on my Mac Pro 1,1 running Mavericks GM. I have also included the Chameleon 2.2 installer and the Chameleon Wizard app which can assist you in making changes to the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. The wizard app will also update the Chameleon install if you need to. You should only need to change the serial number in the SMBios.plist to match that of your Mac Pro. I have made all the cosmetic changes like processor name, mac model, board model and bios version.

Download (https://mega.co.nz/#!C5JF3aaQ!d2xYhQDDNYQKFc4auLb6Jm6m9N9x4bpGMCR_18nmrJk)

EDIT:

Quick fix - I have an old SMbiosversion string in the SMBios.plist file. Here is the correct one:
MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707021221

jeanlain
Oct 16, 2013, 01:00 AM
The problem lies in that my GTX 570 graphics card only supports 1024x768 in VESA mode. There are way of modifying the Bios on the card to add other resolutions like 1920x1080 to the table but people have mixed results and I don't have a spare GPU if something goes wrong. I do have the the graphics mode 1920x1080x32 in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist but it doesn't make any difference.

Update:

The Apple logo is stretched too with my (flashed) radeon 4870.

Also, does sleep work flawlessly for anyone here on a Mac Pro 1.1? I'd like to fix the issue of my Mac Pro going to hibernate mode instead of mere sleep, which takes longer and wastes disks space on the sleepImage file.

Heshion
Oct 16, 2013, 04:59 AM
We'll know if GM is the public release when the public release goes out. Meantime, yes it's safe to use (it's as stable as any previous DP as far as I'm concerned), even though my laptop has developped a tendency to crap out and freeze in Safari after a wake. That's a new issue with GM for me but I did install it over DP8. So, who knows?...

RV-ABZ. A bit confused on if my MacPro machine will run Chameleon/64 bit. I have a 1,1 upgrade to 1,2 firmware, X5355s and a 1GB GT-120 clone graphics card (which I believe is not flashed, and running in 32 bit). All of this should run 64 bit. HOWEVER, I'm told that the whole graphics section of the pre-3,1s are ONLY 32 bit, and cannot run a 64 bit card. Are you under the impression that these original 1,1 & 2,1 machines will run Chameleon in full 64 bit, and I can have graphics acceleration and properly running YouTube and Safari browsing? I'm currently pegging all 8 CPUs during these processes. Can you shed some light? Thanks.

RV-ABZ
Oct 16, 2013, 05:16 AM
Heshion, the ability to support graphics in 64bit kernel mode depends entirely on the availability of 64bit kexts. If they exist for your particular card, on the paper you're Ok. It's just a matter of bypassing the EFI32 mode and that's where Chameleon comes into play.

With Chameleon, you can easily pretend to have a different model such as a MacPro3,1 by simply using the appropriate SMBIOS plist.

If you were to establish that your current graphics card is not supported in 64bit kernel mode, I would advise that you replace it with a supported model. Some are mentioned before and/or in the MLPF thread.

Hennesie2000
Oct 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
The Apple logo is stretched too with my (flashed) radeon 4870.

Also, does sleep work flawlessly for anyone here on a Mac Pro 1.1? I'd like to fix the issue of my Mac Pro going to hibernate mode instead of mere sleep, which takes longer and wastes disks space on the sleepImage file.

Sleep works perfect for me when running Mavericks. When running 64bit Lion it KPs when waking up and I never get an image on the monitor. Have to hard reset using the power button. I have a SSHD drive arriving today and will be making Mavericks my full time OS.

EDIT: so it seems like sleep works intermittently. It does go to sleep and not hibernation but it doesn't wake up sometimes.

RV-ABZ. A bit confused on if my MacPro machine will run Chameleon/64 bit. I have a 1,1 upgrade to 1,2 firmware, X5355s and a 1GB GT-120 clone graphics card (which I believe is not flashed, and running in 32 bit). All of this should run 64 bit. HOWEVER, I'm told that the whole graphics section of the pre-3,1s are ONLY 32 bit, and cannot run a 64 bit card. Are you under the impression that these original 1,1 & 2,1 machines will run Chameleon in full 64 bit, and I can have graphics acceleration and properly running YouTube and Safari browsing? I'm currently pegging all 8 CPUs during these processes. Can you shed some light? Thanks.

Reading on the Apple discussion forum it sounds like the GT120 should work. But some people are having KP issues. For very little money you can pic up a PC Card and with Chameleon you will have a boot screen.

DominikHoffmann
Oct 16, 2013, 02:28 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion, then, on how to install Mavericks on a Late 2006 Xserve?

Hennesie2000
Oct 17, 2013, 01:13 PM
One thing I have noticed is that my GPU fan speed tends to be pretty high and therefore a bit noisy. It doesn't start off high but when the screen goes to sleep it speeds up and stays up until a restart happens. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to control this when running OS X. There are many options when running Windows.

Right now I am running 64bit Lion. I will be reinstalling Mavericks on to a new HDD I just got and will see if the fan issue persist.

yuser
Oct 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
Can somebody help me please? Is ATI Radeaon HD4890 (flashed) supported in Mavericks? It was running great with ML and Chameleon.

As I stated I have installed Mavericks but can not get graphics with HD4890 to work.

Thanks.

Hennesie2000
Oct 17, 2013, 08:29 PM
Can somebody help me please? Is ATI Radeaon HD4890 (flashed) supported in Mavericks? It was running great with ML and Chameleon.

As I stated I have installed Mavericks but can not get graphics with HD4890 to work.

Thanks.

jeanlain is running a flashed HD4870 so I would assume the 4890 also works.

Hennesie2000
Oct 20, 2013, 01:39 PM
Got everything running really smooth now. I got a new 1TB Seagate SSHD and setup 3 partitions (1GB, 700GB, 299GB). The 1GB is the Chameleon boot partition, 700GB for Mavericks and 300GB for Windows 7.

yuser
Oct 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
jeanlain is running a flashed HD4870 so I would assume the 4890 also works.

OK, I can now also state everything is running very good. Finally :D

RV-ABZ
Oct 20, 2013, 02:52 PM
We'll know if GM is the public release when the public release goes out. Meantime, yes it's safe to use (it's as stable as any previous DP as far as I'm concerned), even though my laptop has developped a tendency to crap out and freeze in Safari after a wake. That's a new issue with GM for me but I did install it over DP8. So, who knows?...New GM release out, so 1st shot wasn't good enough for Apple...

Hennesie2000
Oct 20, 2013, 11:55 PM
Discovered another issue I am having. I have a bluray burner installed in the second bay. Using chameleon to boot, the drive is detected in system profiler but it isn't usable. Option+eject does nothing and programs like Toast don't see it. Is there a ktext that I need to install for this to work?

Never-mind. Fixed the SATA Blu-Ray drive issue by installing the Sata.dylib from Chameleon Wizard.

New GM release out, so 1st shot wasn't good enough for Apple...

I assume the update doesn't show up in my App Store because I am not a registered dev. I wonder if it will show up when it the public release is out....

alpez
Oct 21, 2013, 09:05 AM
Hi

Is there someone who can tell me where to find EFI bootlog file.

it's not in system.log or in (kernel.log)

dmesg also

getting some "error ..." in the middle of the screen for 1/10 of a second

spent the whole day ... :-(((((

/alpez

Heshion
Oct 22, 2013, 07:03 AM
Heshion, the ability to support graphics in 64bit kernel mode depends entirely on the availability of 64bit kexts. If they exist for your particular card, on the paper you're Ok. It's just a matter of bypassing the EFI32 mode and that's where Chameleon comes into play.

With Chameleon, you can easily pretend to have a different model such as a MacPro3,1 by simply using the appropriate SMBIOS plist.

If you were to establish that your current graphics card is not supported in 64bit kernel mode, I would advise that you replace it with a supported model. Some are mentioned before and/or in the MLPF thread.

What I'm still fuzzy on is this. Most of the Chameleon threads I've read, say that when you use this method, it kills the sound for the machine. This is an audio production machine - for Pro Tools, etc. So I need the core audio totally unaffected.

PeterHolbrook
Oct 22, 2013, 09:33 AM
What I'm still fuzzy on is this. Most of the Chameleon threads I've read, say that when you use this method, it kills the sound for the machine. This is an audio production machine - for Pro Tools, etc. So I need the core audio totally unaffected.

The audio would be affected ONLY if you didn't have the proper dsdt.aml in place. If you follow the Chameleon install procedure from reputable places (such as Jabbawok's blog), you'll get all necessary components for a successful Mountain Lion (not Mavericks per se) installation. For Mavericks, you only need to slightly change the tutorial. Most notably, the name of the installer disk image volume doesn't begin with "Mac" anymore, and you need to look for mach_kernel inside an mpkg file using Pacifist. Other than that, everything's fine. Naturally, I'm assuming you are using an obsolete Mac Pro (mine is a 1,1 model). If you were using an iMac, MacBook/Pro or Mac Mini, you might need a different dsdt.aml.

Hennesie2000
Oct 22, 2013, 10:49 AM

If you are using a Mac Pro 1,1 then download the files from batmans link on, I think, page 4 of this thread. The dsdt.aml file there works fine for the Mac Pro 1,1. I used his files as the basis for my Mavericks install and it all works fine, including audio.

ofelas
Oct 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
Anyone installed Mavericks on a 2006 iMac 20" ?

Thx, running Snow leopard on it right now.

robogobo
Oct 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
You guys are awesome. I'm going to get to this as soon as possible. God bless you, beautiful people.

uncleshady
Oct 22, 2013, 02:30 PM
Just heard news that Mavericks is a free upgrade. I still cant download it because my Mac is too old lol, but hoping that the community can come up with a way to get it installed on my older Macbook 3,1

kjricso
Oct 22, 2013, 02:44 PM

What we know so far.

I have a early macbook 2008 with lion 10.7 is there a guide to install Mac OS Mavericks on it?

Hennesie2000
Oct 22, 2013, 02:56 PM
Downloading the Public release on a MBPr right now. Will install it over my existing installation as an update later using a supported Mac.

UPDATE:
Changed the values in my SMBios file to make the App Store think that I am on a supported Mac Pro and it let me download Mavericks directly from the App Store on my Mac Pro 1,1. I am going to try to run it as just an update to see if that works since I am on the 13A598 GM

jakesaunders27
Oct 22, 2013, 03:32 PM
I have a early macbook 2008 with lion 10.7 is there a guide to install Mac OS Mavericks on it?

thats what i want to know but for the original mac pro don't really get how to do it?

Hennesie2000
Oct 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
thats what i want to know but for the original mac pro don't really get how to do it?

I'll see if I can put together a How-To

jakesaunders27
Oct 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'll see if I can put together a How-To

that would be great! thank you

yuser
Oct 22, 2013, 04:03 PM
Downloading the Public release on a MBPr right now. Will install it over my existing installation as an update later using a supported Mac.

UPDATE:
Changed the values in my SMBios file to make the App Store think that I am on a supported Mac Pro and it let me download Mavericks directly from the App Store on my Mac Pro 1,1. I am going to try to run it as just an update to see if that works since I am on the 13A598 GM

Interesting. I also have 13A598 installed on Mac Pro 1,1.
Please post your findings. Thanks.

Hennesie2000
Oct 22, 2013, 04:11 PM
Interesting. I also have 13A598 installed on Mac Pro 1,1.
Please post your findings. Thanks.

It let me run the installer but it didn't install it unless the version released to the public is the 598 version. Installing it on a MBPr and will check the build number on that one. On my Mac Pro it still shows the 598 build number after running the installer.

Goftrey
Oct 22, 2013, 05:29 PM
Got OS X Mavericks running beautifully on my 1,1 Mac Pro (w/ an XFX unflashed 5770) after a LOT of fiddling with this & that using a mixture of batmanofzurenar's & jabbawok's guides.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/ScreenShot2013-10-22at152344_zpsdd4fdef0.png

sega dude
Oct 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mavericks was released today for free! Can't wait for MavericksPostFactor to come out!

Galostro
Oct 22, 2013, 08:17 PM
never mind

chrisrand
Oct 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
Got OS X Mavericks running beautifully on my 1,1 Mac Pro (w/ an XFX unflashed 5770) after a LOT of fiddling with this & that using a mixture of batmanofzurenar's & jabbawok's guides.

Image (http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/ScreenShot2013-10-22at152344_zpsdd4fdef0.png)

It would be super rad of you if you can put up a guide on how you did it, with attribution of course.

Thanks

Hennesie2000
Oct 22, 2013, 11:56 PM
So I was right... it let me run through the initial part of the install process but it does not update Mavericks. I am going to update using a Mavericks installer on a USB thumb drive and a support MBPr.

Another Update:
So this is rather interesting and kind of cool. As I said before I changed the values in my SMBios file to refelect that of a supported Mac Pro. That allowed me to download and start the Mavericks Installer. However, when it restarted it just rebooted the older 13A598 install (I think this is because the Chameleon partion is blessed). I then pulled the drive and connected it to a MBPr through a USB 3.0 dock and when I held the option key to boot to the drive I noticed that the partiton name was "OS X Installer" instead of what I had named it, "Mavericks". So I chose to boot from the "OS X Installer" partion and it continued the Mavericks update like it normally would have on a supported Mac. Put the drive back in the Mac Pro and it booted up to the public 13A603 build. All is well again.

jakesaunders27
Oct 23, 2013, 02:07 AM
Does it look likely that there will be no Mavericks Post Factor, because i cant be doing with having an extra drive for boot and all that kind of stuff for chameleon.

andreas79
Oct 23, 2013, 06:45 AM
So i have a macbook mid 2007...is there any hope to get mavericks to my mac???Mountain lion was working great on my mac...

Oculos
Oct 23, 2013, 08:31 AM
Folks,

Thank you so much for the AMAZING info in this thread!
I just ordered my 5770 so I can upgrade to Mavericks (I have a Mac Pro 1,1).
I wonder one thing: Since currently now I use MLPF, can I use the install partition to get Maverick's installer and go from there? I mean, is the partition table used by MLPF compatible with the one required by Chamaleon?

Here's my partition table:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS A vast field 1.5 TB disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS Mountain Lion 340.5 GB disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS install 139.3 GB disk0s4
/dev/disk1
0: Apple_partition_scheme *18.8 MB disk1
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Flash Player 18.7 MB disk1s2
/dev/disk2
0: Apple_partition_scheme *386.4 MB disk2
1: Apple_partition_map 30.7 KB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Command Line Tools (... 386.3 MB disk2s2

This way, I would be able to not have to buy another drive and have it Mavericks installed over my current ML.

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 08:44 AM
Does it look likely that there will be no Mavericks Post Factor, because i cant be doing with having an extra drive for boot and all that kind of stuff for chameleon.

It is not likely there will be a MVPF.

You do not need a second drive for chameleon. I have a 1TB SSHD formatted as GUID with 3 partitions:

1GB HFS+ - Chameleon
700GB HFS+ - OS X Mavericks
299GB NTFS - Windows 7

Obviously the Windows partition is optional. To do a setup like this it does require a supported Mac todo the Mavericks install on the drive but it works great.

Folks,

Thank you so much for the AMAZING info in this thread!
I just ordered my 5770 so I can upgrade to Mavericks (I have a Mac Pro 1,1).
I wonder one thing: Since currently now I use MLPF, can I use the install partition to get Maverick's installer and go from there? I mean, is the partition table used by MLPF compatible with the one required by Chamaleon?

You have so much wasted space with that 140GB install partition. Chameleon needs less than 1GB but that's the smallest partition size when using disk utility. You don't need another boot drive for chameleon. I don't know why all of these guides say you do.

Oculos
Oct 23, 2013, 09:02 AM
Just updated my Mac Pro 1,2 to GM build, no problems so far

Can you tell us which method did you use?

gumparker
Oct 23, 2013, 09:13 AM
First I wanted to say hello to everyone. I personally still use Snow Leopard. I am a firm believer that if it isn't broken don't fix it. I am running a 21.5 iMac 3.2/i3, 16 GB/DDR133, 1TB Internal HD. This computer is a champ. I am still able to use Rosetta for any PPC programs. I edit in FCPX 10.0.8 use Motion and the Full CS5 Suite. After adding a Pegasus raid drive for editing, my workflow if quite smooth. I admit there appears to be some nice new improvements which one can argue are really new features. Now to the point. I use Reason. When Reason 7 was released you had to upgrade to 10.7/Lion. The new features in Reason where impressive enough for me and I had to fold. So I found a work around. I installed my original Snow Leopard discs onto an external USB HD. I then upgraded to 10.7 Lion. Obviously I installed Reason 7 there after and now I can boot from my external into 10.7 or my favorite 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The bottom line. Find an inexpensive external HD and try it there first. We all know there is going to be plenty of bugs to work out. Quite frankly if your car is driving smoothly why change the engine. I hope this was helpful. If anyone would like help executing the above said and needs help creating a dual boot please message me and I will gladly walk you through the process. Peace.

Antoni Nygaard
Oct 23, 2013, 09:25 AM
Can you tell us which method did you use?

Update your installer drive to Mavericks, then when the mac boots up choose the installer drive to boot from then install the mavericks as an upgrade to ML let it finish it restarts back to the Macintosh HD and you are good to go

RV-ABZ
Oct 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
Just heard news that Mavericks is a free upgrade. I still cant download it because my Mac is too old lol, but hoping that the community can come up with a way to get it installed on my older Macbook 3,1MacBook3,1 is based on GMA X3100 graphics chip as far as I know. I'm afraid that means you can forget about Mavericks as there remains no decent/stable 64bit support for that Intel chip (which also lacks support for OpenCL/OpenGL 4 that Apple use since ML). If you did install Mavericks on that laptop (which should be Ok since it has EFI64), you would rapidly find it unusable due to lack of graphics acceleration.

ML with MLPF in 32bit kernel mode is the best you can have in the present days.

The same applies to MacBook4,1 (GMA X3100, EFI64) and MacBook2,1 (GMA950, EFI64).

Things are just as bad for MacBook 1,1 (GMA950, EFI32), MacBook 2,1 (GMA950, EFI32) or MacBookAir1,1 (GMA X3100, EFI32) which suffer from the same lack of 64bit support for graphics chip + additional issue of having a 32bit EFI... These would need Chameleon bootloader or similar to boot the OS.

kjricso
Oct 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
MacBook3,1 is based on GMA X3100 graphics chip as far as I know. I'm afraid that means you can forget about Mavericks as there remains no decent/stable 64bit support for that Intel chip (which also lacks support for OpenCL/OpenGL 4 that Apple use since ML). If you did install Mavericks on that laptop (which should be Ok since it has EFI64), you would rapidly find it unusable due to lack of graphics acceleration.

ML with MLPF in 32bit kernel mode is the best you can have in the present days.

So does that mean there is no way to install 10.9 on a Black Macbook Early 2008?

RV-ABZ
Oct 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
My last post is clear enough, isn't it?

kjricso
Oct 23, 2013, 12:26 PM
Do you have a guide for installing 10.9 with a boot loader on a Macbook 2008?

RV-ABZ
Oct 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
You'd be wasting your time in my opinion but seeing is believing, right? Then, there's none so zealous as the converted...

Sorry, I don't have a guide. If you have an EFI64 model, you should be able to simply run the downloaded installer app from Apple web site.

If you have a EFI32 model, try and find out what owners of MacPro1,1 have done, but that appears well documented. So, just search for it.

kjricso
Oct 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
You'd be wasting your time in my opinion but seeing is believing, right? Then, there's none so zealous as the converted...

Sorry, I don't have a guide. If you have an EFI64 model, you should be able to simply run the downloaded installer app from Apple web site.

If you have a EFI32 model, try and find out what owners of MacPro1,1 have done, but that appears well documented. So, just search for it.

Introduction Date: February 26, 2008 Discontinued Date: October 14, 2008
Processors: 1 (2 Cores) Geekbench: 3182/3557*
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Processor Type: Core 2 Duo (T8300)
Details: The Intel "Core 2 Duo" (T8300) 45 nm "Penryn" processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip.

Also see: How much faster is the "Early 2008 Penryn" MacBook Core 2 Duo compared to the "Late 2007 Santa Rosa" MacBook Core 2 Duo?
Custom Speeds: N/A Architecture: 64-Bit
Processor Upgrade: Soldered FPU: Integrated
System Bus Speed: 800 MHz Cache Bus Speed: 2.4 GHz (Built-in)
ROM/Firmware Type: EFI EFI Architecture: 64-Bit
L1 Cache: 32k/32k L2/L3 Cache: 3 MB (on chip)
RAM Type: PC2-5300 DDR2 Min. RAM Speed: 667 MHz

I can't do the install since it says my macbook is unsupported even though it runs 64bit fine. I have 64bit Windows 7 via bootcamp on it and it runs great.

newtoiphonesdk
Oct 23, 2013, 01:18 PM
So, in short, there is absolutely NO way to force Mavericks upgrade on a MacBook4, 1

spankadank
Oct 23, 2013, 01:36 PM
Using batmanofzurenar's and the chameleon method, when it ends the boot sequence the screen goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive. I have the 8800GT on my mac pro 1,1 and this set up ran almost flawlessly with ML prior. Any ideas?

pgrif
Oct 23, 2013, 02:03 PM
Now that Mavericks is out for free I wanted to download a copy to try to install on another Mac. When I click on DOWNLOAD in the App Store, a download begins but I can't figure out where the file is being saved. Not the APPLICATIONS folder and not the DOWNLOAD folder, does anybody know where else it could be?

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 02:13 PM
I can't do the install since it says my macbook is unsupported even though it runs 64bit fine. I have 64bit Windows 7 via bootcamp on it and it runs great.

Running a 64Bit OS is not the issue. The issue is your graphics, not the processor. RV-ABZ has made that clear several times.

Using batmanofzurenar's and the chameleon method, when it ends the boot sequence the screen goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive. I have the 8800GT on my mac pro 1,1 and this set up ran almost flawlessly with ML prior. Any ideas?

What boot sequence are you talking about? With my GTX 570 the screen is black for about 10 seconds and then Chameleon comes up. Are you talking about after you have started booting Mavericks? You might need to turn on the Graphic Enabler in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. You can use the Chameleon Wizard to do that for you.

Now that Mavericks is out for free I wanted to download a copy to try to install on another Mac. When I click on DOWNLOAD in the App Store, a download begins but I can't figure out where the file is being saved. Not the APPLICATIONS folder and not the DOWNLOAD folder, does anybody know where else it could be?

It went to my applications folder

Shellbo6901
Oct 23, 2013, 02:24 PM
it'd be nice if they could just make a version(even if it were to have a charge) that could work with the 2007 macbooks(without any of the new cool stuff that these can't handle)

spankadank
Oct 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
What boot sequence are you talking about? With my GTX 570 the screen is black for about 10 seconds and then Chameleon comes up. Are you talking about after you have started booting Mavericks? You might need to turn on the Graphic Enabler in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. You can use the Chameleon Wizard to do that for you.

After the Apple Logo and before it kicks over to the desktop is where it is stalling.

For some reason the graphics enabler string was missing and I didn't catch it. I'll update as soon as the drive gets free, was doing a back up so I could downgrade... thank you for the help!

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 02:30 PM
After the Apple Logo and before it kicks over to the desktop is where it is stalling.

For some reason the graphics enabler string was missing and I didn't catch it. I'll update as soon as the drive gets free, was doing a back up so I could downgrade... thank you for the help!

The files from batmanofzurenar don't have it enabled and you need it with any NVIDIA GPU below the 600 series.

madmacfan
Oct 23, 2013, 02:39 PM
So, in short, there is absolutely NO way to force Mavericks upgrade on a MacBook4, 1

There are ways to do this with the chameleon boot loader, but as others have previously said, it will be next to unusable due to the lack of graphics acceleration. I'd hang on and wait to see if MVPF from hackerwayne ever gets released. At the moment the only person that's in the loop regarding MVPF is hackerwayne himself.

newtoiphonesdk
Oct 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
There are ways to do this with the chameleon boot loader, but as others have previously said, it will be next to unusable due to the lack of graphics acceleration. I'd hang on and wait to see if MVPF from hackerwayne ever gets released. At the moment the only person that's in the loop regarding MVPF is hackerwayne himself.

Thanks. Never installed in any way other than the official way, but just so irritating that our MacBook4,1 is the newest MacBook that can't install it.

fkick
Oct 23, 2013, 03:09 PM

UPDATE:

Silly question, is it possible to change the SMBios file on a Mac Pro 1,1 without installed Chameleon, meaning that we would simply be able to download from the app store and update? Or would we still need Chameleon to switch the kernel to 64bit.

spankadank
Oct 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
The files from batmanofzurenar don't have it enabled and you need it with any NVIDIA GPU below the 600 series.

Still no luck after editing the string. Any way you can share your files/extras file to see if I'm just missing something?

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Silly question, is it possible to change the SMBios file on a Mac Pro 1,1 without installed Chameleon, meaning that we would simply be able to download from the app store and update? Or would we still need Chameleon to switch the kernel to 64bit.

I don't know of a way to switch the info without Chameleon.

Still no luck after editing the string. Any way you can share your files/extras file to see if I'm just missing something?

https://mega.co.nz/#!G1hHQRrI!Wu3hOF2dJyU-CMDOH8bqIGgOIIIJaGK5S64bdg9nXWQ

spankadank
Oct 23, 2013, 03:51 PM
I don't know of a way to switch the info without Chameleon.

Well it must have been my monitor settings because using your boot.plist I'm golden. Thank you so much!

melvint2
Oct 23, 2013, 03:59 PM

Image (http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/ScreenShot2013-10-22at152344_zpsdd4fdef0.png)

Is there a list of what video cards are supported? I have a MacPro 1,1 with flashed GT120 cards.

Also, is there an instruction guide for installing the release version?

Thanks

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 04:00 PM
Well it must have been my monitor settings because using your boot.plist I'm golden. Thank you so much!

Awesome, another Mac Pro saved!

Mojuk
Oct 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
Hey guys, just picked up a 2006 Mac mini 1.1, I have updated the Efi to 2.1, upgraded CPU to an intel T7400 core 2 duo, 4gb ram and ssd...reading through here I can't see anyone who has done the same although as the 2006 Mac mini shipped with the gma 950 I guess I can't run mavericks on it? Would presumably need an 09 3.1 mini with nvidia 9400?

Question is a. Am I correct about not being able to run mavericks despite the CPU ram upgrade? b. What is the best version of osx I could run on it? Mountain lion ?

Cheers

Moj

gavinstubbs09
Oct 23, 2013, 05:58 PM

Sweet! Get my 1,1 tomorrow and already going to do some upgrades, then hopefully shoehorn MV to it!

rhimbo
Oct 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
SUCCESS! Maverick running on older Macs. Pictures wil be up later

Before upgrading I'm trying to find out more conclusively if Mavericks will run on my particular MBP hardware. I have an older MBP -- not sure how old as I bought it refurbished from Apple. But here are my system details.

Processor Name Intel Core 2 Duo
Model Identifier MacBookPro4,1
Processor Speed 2.5 GHz
Bus Speed 800 MHz

L2 Cache 6 MB
Memory 4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Boot ROM Version MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system) 1.28f3
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB

Thanks,

Snowshiro
Oct 23, 2013, 06:46 PM
Another successful and drama free Mac Pro 1,1 installation.

Just restored the public release installer to an install partition on a spare drive, configured chameleon to boot from it, copied the mach kernel from within the distribution to the root folder and restarted. Took about 20 mins give-or-take to install.

Seems nice, smooth and snappy so far. There's plenty of life in the old dog yet.

ElderBrE
Oct 23, 2013, 06:48 PM
Reporting that Mavericks final release is also running on my Mac Pro 1,1 that was running ML. Couple issues to get it to install, but then everything went fine and could upgrade ML without having to do a clean install.

HD5850 GPU, all sweet and dandy. Excellent machine on its 7th year.

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 07:02 PM
Before upgrading I'm trying to find out more conclusively if Mavericks will run on my particular MBP hardware. I have an older MBP -- not sure how old as I bought it refurbished from Apple. But here are my system details.

Model Identifier MacBookPro4,1
Processor Speed 2.5 GHz
Bus Speed 800 MHz

L2 Cache 6 MB
Memory 4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Boot ROM Version MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system) 1.28f3
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB

Thanks,

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

A quick google search would say that you have a 2008 MBP and are supported with Mavericks. This thread is for Macs that are not supported but can still run Mavericks. You should be able to launch the App Store and download the updater. If you weren't on a supported Mac it would not let you download it.

hezr
Oct 23, 2013, 08:27 PM
I have a macpro1,1 with an upgraded video card and a CF card with Chameleon installed on it. But when I try and boot off it I get a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" message. I also do not get the Chameleons partition listed when I hold down the Option key when booting.

Any ideas?

grizzlayleslay
Oct 23, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, just picked up a 2006 Mac mini 1.1, I have updated the Efi to 2.1, upgraded CPU to an intel T7400 core 2 duo, 4gb ram and ssd...reading through here I can't see anyone who has done the same although as the 2006 Mac mini shipped with the gma 950 I guess I can't run mavericks on it? Would presumably need an 09 3.1 mini with nvidia 9400?

Question is a. Am I correct about not being able to run mavericks despite the CPU ram upgrade? b. What is the best version of osx I could run on it? Mountain lion ?

Cheers

Moj

Check my signature. I did literally the exact same thing you did. 2006 Mac Mini Intel Core Solo, upgraded to Core 2 Duo, SSD, flashed to 2.1, 4GB RAM, running 10.8.4 Mountain Lion on it just fine.

And for your questions,

a. Yes, you are correct. You won't be able to run Mavericks despite the CPU and RAM upgrade, at this time. There is a chance that hackerwayne will figure out how to get Mavericks to install on our Mac Mini's, so for now, patience.

b. Mountain Lion via MLPostFactor is the highest you can run on it, as of right now. Like I said, this COULD change if hackerwayne figures out how to get Mavericks running on Macs with Intel GMA cards.

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
I have a macpro1,1 with an upgraded video card and a CF card with Chameleon installed on it. But when I try and boot off it I get a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" message. I also do not get the Chameleons partition listed when I hold down the Option key when booting.

Any ideas?

Do you also have a Windows install/partition?

ces1965
Oct 23, 2013, 10:16 PM
I have a 1,1 running ML with chameleon. I've put together the bootable install volume for 10.9 and can boot to that, it lets me select English and then I get an error saying OS X cannot be installed on this mac. I have an HD 4800 Radeon. Firmware upgraded to 2,1. Any ideas? At this point I may try to install 10.9 on my boot drive (external SSD) using a supported mac.

Hennesie2000
Oct 23, 2013, 10:29 PM
I have a 1,1 running ML with chameleon. I've put together the bootable install volume for 10.9 and can boot to that, it lets me select English and then I get an error saying OS X cannot be installed on this mac. I have an HD 4800 Radeon. Firmware upgraded to 2,1. Any ideas? At this point I may try to install 10.9 on my boot drive (external SSD) using a supported mac.

You are still on an unsupported Mac. You will need to use a supported Mac to boot up the installer and upgrade your Mt Lion install to Mavericks. You shouldn't loose any data but should always back up.

GCB12
Oct 24, 2013, 01:47 AM
I've been following this thread with great interest as my MBA (early 2008) is the only type of MBA not supported by Apple to upgrade to Mavericks...

I know my MBA is also the weakest of them all and pales in comparison with the Mac Pro's you are all working on. But I have to ask: is there any chance my MBA will be able to upgrade to Mavericks using any of the methods described in this thread? Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks a lot!

RV-ABZ
Oct 24, 2013, 04:49 AM
I've said it before but I believe everyone should come to accept that systems fitted with older Intel GMA graphics chips or older nVidia 7x00 chips will never run Mavericks. No 64bit graphics kexts + no 32bit 10.9 kernel = no Mavericks!

No matter what Wayne displayed in his early posts, I do not believe for a second that he will be able to provide 64bit kexts for those chips. If anyone in the Hackintosh community had the skills and ability to do it, I believe it would have been done by now. If Wayne did such a thing, I'll be quick to make a good donation to him, but I just can't see that happening at all...

MLPF was a sort of miracle in the sense that it extended ML to 32bit kernel mode for older newly-unsupported systems. With Mavericks, lack of 32bit kernel from the onset totally changes the game. As a result, I'm struggling to see the feasability and/or even the purpose of MVPF.

Target systems need hardware fully supported in 64bit kernel mode, most specifically graphics card/chip and if they don't have EFI64, then Chameleon does the trick today.

Unless MVPF brings a 32bit 10.9 kernel, I just can't see its purpose or added value at all compared to the Chameleon solution which solves the bootloader issue for systems compatible with 10.9 on paper. Wayne did indicate he worked with the 64bit kernel and never hinted anything towards a 32bit version. He's been rather silent on the MVPF matter for a while now, that can't be for no reason. It's probably too high of a mountain to climb...

alpez
Oct 24, 2013, 05:17 AM
Hi

Have tried to intall Chamelon on my Macmini2,1 in **many** way's, but always nogo.

tried myHack btaman macpro1.1 installation, different 10.9 images.
(myHack don't even show the "EFI Boot")

It allways endup with that "EFI Boot" is shown when I hold down the option key, not BOOT or Startup Disk as described in the examples.
BOOT or Startup Disk should be the Chamelon bootloader disk.

Booting on "EFI Boot" just kick me back to 10.7

anyone got a clue what I'm doing wrong

/alpez

Cryder
Oct 24, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if it will be possible to install Mavericks in a iMac 5,1 with ATI X1600 video card? Now it's running MLPF 0.3 with no problem at all.

Anyway, I've read in some posts that it's possible to install Mavericks using Chameleon, but Chameleon says "Don't install in Macintosh". How is it supposed to do it?

PeterHolbrook
Oct 24, 2013, 06:11 AM
You are still on an unsupported Mac. You will need to use a supported Mac to boot up the installer and upgrade your Mt Lion install to Mavericks. You shouldn't loose any data but should always back up.

Your advice is absolutely WRONG! Mac Pro 1,1 users do NOT need a supported Mac to install Chameleon and/or Mavericks. At most, they need an extra internal SATA disk. And I know what I'm talking about: I own a Mac Pro 1,1, currently running Mavericks 10.9 (13A603) and at no time did I resort to a supported Mac to boot up the installer and upgrade my previous ML install. Neither did I use a supported Mac when I installed ML on this machine.

Oculos
Oct 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
It is not likely there will be a MVPF.

You have so much wasted space with that 140GB install partition. Chameleon needs less than 1GB but that's the smallest partition size when using disk utility. You don't need another boot drive for chameleon. I don't know why all of these guides say you do.

That's cause I was using MLPF, and needed the OS X Install on it.

RV-ABZ
Oct 24, 2013, 08:58 AM
I've been following this thread with great interest as my MBA (early 2008) is the only type of MBA not supported by Apple to upgrade to Mavericks...

I know my MBA is also the weakest of them all and pales in comparison with the Mac Pro's you are all working on. But I have to ask: is there any chance my MBA will be able to upgrade to Mavericks using any of the methods described in this thread? Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks a lot!Guys, you really need to get to know your system's specs...

Early MBA is based on Intel GMA X3100, so same answer as for above MacBook models.

----------

Hi

Have tried to intall Chamelon on my Macmini2,1 in **many** way's, but always nogo.

tried myHack btaman macpro1.1 installation, different 10.9 images.
(myHack don't even show the "EFI Boot")

It allways endup with that "EFI Boot" is shown when I hold down the option key, not BOOT or Startup Disk as described in the examples.
BOOT or Startup Disk should be the Chamelon bootloader disk.

Booting on "EFI Boot" just kick me back to 10.7

anyone got a clue what I'm doing wrong

/alpezAgain, don't bother! Mac mini2,1 is based on Intel GMA950. Same goes for Mac mini 1,1.

gio64
Oct 24, 2013, 09:07 AM
Hi, if anybody can help, here's my question:
I have a MacPro 1.1, firmware 2.1, Radeon 3870, 3GHz Xeons.
I did the installation no problem.
I used the first GM Release.
Problem: the card is not recognized. It does a resolution I can't pinpoint, but on my 23" Cinema Display, it does nothing close to 1920x1200 as it is supposed to.
The card gets recognized as having 7 or 3 (I fiddled with chameleon) mb of RAM, instead of 512.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note that I have run Lion up until yesterday and I never attempted any other installations.

RV-ABZ
Oct 24, 2013, 09:17 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if it will be possible to install Mavericks in a iMac 5,1 with ATI X1600 video card? Now it's running MLPF 0.3 with no problem at all.

Anyway, I've read in some posts that it's possible to install Mavericks using Chameleon, but Chameleon says "Don't install in Macintosh". How is it supposed to do it?Here's a real challenge and one of the rare potential targets for MVPF if it follows the same principles as MLPF. MLPF 64bit did support the ATI X1600, so this one could have a chance of running Mavericks with the 64bit kexts.

----------

Hi, if anybody can help, here's my question:
I have a MacPro 1.1, firmware 2.1, Radeon 3870, 3GHz Xeons.
I did the installation no problem.
I used the first GM Release.
Problem: the card is not recognized. It does a resolution I can't pinpoint, but on my 23" Cinema Display, it does nothing close to 1920x1200 as it is supposed to.
The card gets recognized as having 7 or 3 (I fiddled with chameleon) mb of RAM, instead of 512.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note that I have run Lion up until yesterday and I never attempted any other installations.I don't believe that card was even supported in ML; you will probably find you need to replace that card by a more modern/more common card that is supported by ML and Mav.

Unless you can fiddle with the ATI/AMD kexts and patch them to support your card. You can always check if its PCI ids are covered by the current kexts.

Oculos
Oct 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
I followed batman's guide, but When I reboot to install, I keep getting the boot0: error.

Can someone send me the plist of how it should be on the org.chameleon.Boot.plist? mine is <string>0,2</string> - should it be different? Is this the culprit?

Hennesie2000
Oct 24, 2013, 10:31 AM
Your advice is absolutely WRONG! Mac Pro 1,1 users do NOT need a supported Mac to install Chameleon and/or Mavericks. At most, they need an extra internal SATA disk. And I know what I'm talking about: I own a Mac Pro 1,1, currently running Mavericks 10.9 (13A603) and at no time did I resort to a supported Mac to boot up the installer and upgrade my previous ML install. Neither did I use a supported Mac when I installed ML on this machine.

First off calm down. My advice is not wrong because it would work even you mentioned using a supported Mac. I'd love to know how you were able to boot the installer. I assume you have a sata drive with the installer or you are doing a MLPF type patch on it to get it to boot. I always put the installer on a USB stick which isn't shown in the Chameleon boot. I will admit I am a bit new to this but I was able to get my Mac Pro up and running 13A603 quickly using a single hard drive with an OS X/Windows dual boot. When updating from the 13A598 build the installer wouldn't continue after the installer app did the reboot. Using a supported Mac I was able to continue that process.

PeterHolbrook
Oct 24, 2013, 11:12 AM
First off calm down. My advice is not wrong because it would work even you mentioned using a supported Mac. I'd love to know how you were able to boot the installer. I assume you have a sata drive with the installer or you are doing a MLPF type patch on it to get it to boot. I always put the installer on a USB stick which isn't shown in the Chameleon boot. I will admit I am a bit new to this but I was able to get my Mac Pro up and running 13A603 quickly using a single hard drive with an OS X/Windows dual boot. When updating from the 13A598 build the installer wouldn't continue after the installer app did the reboot. Using a supported Mac I was able to continue that process.

I am perfectly calm, so there's no need for me to calm down. Last year, with ML, and this year, with Mavs, I was able to run the installer for both programs using Chameleon, the very same boot loader that effects launching the installed system. No MLPF patches of ANY kind. The systems are unmodified and fully 64 bit. No 32-bit kernel, no unsupported kexts from unknown origin. No nothing fishy. Just Chameleon, using one extra disk in one of the Mac Pro bays. That's all.

rudeboy2
Oct 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
any hopes for a MacBook 2,1 with a 32Bit EFI and GMA950?

Hennesie2000
Oct 24, 2013, 11:26 AM
I am perfectly calm, so there's no need for me to calm down. Last year, with ML, and this year, with Mavs, I was able to run the installer for both programs using Chameleon, the very same boot loader that effects launching the installed system. No MLPF patches of ANY kind. The systems are unmodified and fully 64 bit. No 32-bit kernel, no unsupported kexts from unknown origin. No nothing fishy. Just Chameleon, using one extra disk in one of the Mac Pro bays. That's all.

Ok, I never tried putting the installer on an internal disk but that makes sense that chameleon would be able to boot that then. I'll play with that this weekend. I personally just used a supported Mac to install Mavericks and then used a supported Mac to update the Mavericks install from 13A598 to 13A603. This would help my get my friends Mac Pro updated who lives in another state though. Thanks.

PeterHolbrook
Oct 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
Ok, I never tried putting the installer on an internal disk but that makes sense that chameleon would be able to boot that then. I'll play with that this weekend. I personally just used a supported Mac to install Mavericks and then used a supported Mac to update the Mavericks install from 13A598 to 13A603. This would help my get my friends Mac Pro updated who lives in another state though. Thanks.

Your method would also work, of course, but it isn't necessary. If you want a detailed tutorial, look for Jabbawok's blog. Beware: the last time I read it, it was tailored for ML, not Mavericks per se. There's a subtle difference: the name of the installer image in /Volumes.

wwanthony
Oct 24, 2013, 01:24 PM

Just restored the public release installer to an install partition on a spare drive, configured chameleon to boot from it, copied the mach kernel from within the distribution to the root folder and restarted. Took about 20 mins give-or-take to install.

Seems nice, smooth and snappy so far. There's plenty of life in the old dog yet.

How did you do the restore? What DMG from the installer did you use?

Rastafabi
Oct 24, 2013, 01:48 PM
MLforALL just posted, that he's still working on those GMA-based chipsets. I believe he is making some progress as he already got it working on Mountain Lion in 64 Bit in the past (unstable using 10.6.2 kext).
As MLforALL showed he's quiet good concerning fixing kext files (iSight running smoothly, fixing numlock LED issue) I think he has a chance enabling them in Mavericks, although it might be a thougther task fixing them to be stable.

gio64
Oct 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
Here's a real challenge and one of the rare potential targets for MVPF if it follows the same principles as MLPF. MLPF 64bit did support the ATI X1600, so this one could have a chance of running Mavericks with the 64bit kexts.

----------

I don't believe that card was even supported in ML; you will probably find you need to replace that card by a more modern/more common card that is supported by ML and Mav.

Unless you can fiddle with the ATI/AMD kexts and patch them to support your card. You can always check if its PCI ids are covered by the current kexts.

RV-ABZ: Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I thought it would be so. I don't mind buying a 5770 (matter of fact, I had already planned that), I would just like to know if I can get it to run this way, until I either find a place where to pick a 5770 up or I get it shipped from Apple…
As far as doing what you suggested, I am not that sound in that area, I would have to ask somebody who has any idea of what they're doing…
I'll ask around, maybe a hackintosh site?

macpro2000
Oct 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
I sure wished you lived near Omaha, Nebraska. I can't figure out Chameleon for the life of me on my 1,1. I'd gladly pay someone to show me how.

Snowshiro
Oct 24, 2013, 06:32 PM
How did you do the restore? What DMG from the installer did you use?

I basically slightly modified version of batmanofzurenarh's install procedure with a few changes for the public release version.

1) ... Didn't need this

2) Find the installer in Applications and right clicked for "Show Package Contents"

3) Navigate to “/Contents/SharedSupport”, then mount “InstallESD.dmg”

4) Next we will need to mount “BaseSystem.dmg”.

In terminal run open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

5) Open up Disk Utility again and click on “BaseSystem.dmg” in the sidebar, then proceed to the “Restore” tab.

6) Make sure “BaseSystem.dmg” is the source image. Drag “OS X Install” into “Destination”, afterwards hit the “Restore” button at the bottom of the window.

7) Navigate to “/System/Installation” on your “OS X Install” drive and delete the “Packages” link, then copy the “Packages” folder from “OS X Install ESD” (mounted on your desktop) to this folder.

8) Copy “mach_kernel” and “boot” (included in the package provided to you) to the root of your “OS X Install” drive.

The only exception was part 8, where I used the boot file he mentioned (downloadable from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77927941/OS%20X%2010.9%20DP%20on%20Mac%20Pro%201%2C1/OS%20X%2010.9%20DP%20Bundle%20for%20Mac%20Pro%201%2C1.zip) but I wanted to make sure I had the most up to date kernel that shipped with mavericks, so I used pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to open the relevant package and extract the mavericks kernel from the public release version. You could probably still use the kernel from the above link if you're not sure how to extract it, or I could probably upload the kernel somewhere if you want it.

I sure wished you lived near Omaha, Nebraska. I can't figure out Chameleon for the life of me on my 1,1. I'd gladly pay someone to show me how.

If you send me a PM and we can arrange a mutually convenient time, I can probably talk you through it on skype or something (no cost obviously!!!)

Hennesie2000
Oct 24, 2013, 08:43 PM
Your method would also work, of course, but it isn't necessary. If you want a detailed tutorial, look for Jabbawok's blog. Beware: the last time I read it, it was tailored for ML, not Mavericks per se. There's a subtle difference: the name of the installer image in /Volumes.

Back to your original issue, don't know if you are still having it. I was able to run the Mavericks installer on my Mac Pro 1,1 with the SMBios.plist keys all set for a Mac Pro 1,1. It went smoothly and then booted right up. The installer didn't get stuck at all.

Snowshiro
Oct 24, 2013, 11:10 PM
Back to your original issue, don't know if you are still having it. I was able to run the Mavericks installer on my Mac Pro 1,1 with the SMBios.plist keys all set for a Mac Pro 1,1. It went smoothly and then booted right up. The installer didn't get stuck at all.

Yeah, it went smoothly for me too. I got the impression that perhaps they'd removed some of the supported system checks, because they assumed that the App Store itself would filter out those who aren't eligible (and those who manage to get it and boot it are probably hacking their Pros and will bypass it anyway).

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 02:28 AM
No problem. I know I might have sound a bit noobish, it's just a bit new to me. I catch on quick though.

I am proud to say that I have had success using chameleon. I installed Mavericks on to a HDD formatted with 1 partition and GUID using a supported MacBook Pro. Setup the user and then shutdown. Installed the Mavericks HDD into my Mac Pro 1,1 and booted up 10.7.5. I then installed chameleon on to the same partition as the Mavericks install. Modified the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I also used the Chameleon Wizard to update to the latest release. Then I used the bless command. Reboot and all works. Sound, Resolution, Sleep, iCloud, iMessage. This method does not require a second boot drive or boot partition. It only requires a supported Mac. If you don't have one maybe you have a friend who does, and they are willing to lend it to you for 30 mins.

With a processor upgrade to 8 cores maybe I can get another few years out of it.

Update 3:
Got iMessage working again. Had to put a dylib file into a 'modules' folder inside the 'Extra' folder. Also for good measure I started over with a fresh SMBios.plist from batmanofzurenarh. Sleep DOES work with 10.9.

The inital boot screen (the grey one with the apple logo) is still not the right size but that no big deal.

I'm going out to buy an external case and do it the way you did, because I'm having no success with the method described by batmanofzurenarh, and it would require me 2 HD's.

Could you please post again your Extra folder? I tried the version you uploaded but it's not there anymore.

Also, do you know which version of Chameleon should I use, and which settings? I keep getting Boot0 following batmanofzurenarh's guide - dunno if it has to do with the fact that I'm trying to do it from an MLPF OS X 10.8 system.

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 03:09 AM
I basically slightly modified version of batmanofzurenarh's install procedure with a few changes for the public release version.

1) ... Didn't need this

You could probably still use the kernel from the above link if you're not sure how to extract it, or I could probably upload the kernel somewhere if you want it.

Could you please tell me from which packages you got the mach_kernel? Is there a "boot" file as well?

So, if I understood you correctly, you restored the OS installer to an image, installed chameleon on the same partiton, booted from it, and installed to another drive/partition, right?

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 03:51 AM
Update your installer drive to Mavericks, then when the mac boots up choose the installer drive to boot from then install the mavericks as an upgrade to ML let it finish it restarts back to the Macintosh HD and you are good to go

Thanks! But I guess this implies having used Chameleon before, right? Thing is, my ML is running through MLPF... :(

Antoni Nygaard
Oct 25, 2013, 04:12 AM
Thanks! But I guess this implies having used Chameleon before, right? Thing is, my ML is running through MLPF... :(

Yep

Snowshiro
Oct 25, 2013, 07:26 AM

Somewhere in one of the discussions about this you asked for the mach kernel that I extracted from the App Store release. Here you go:

https://mega.co.nz/#!P8hl1S5L!RnZ70Fy3vpNZAp7tLqtn90cltDAvI6ciIZxQrX5fpbc

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 07:29 AM
Is anyone here performing these installs on HDs such as the Seagate 2TB?
I keep having boot0 error, and, when "fixing" it, I get another EBIOS error.

----------

Somewhere in one of the discussions about this you asked for the mach kernel that I extracted from the App Store release. Here you go:

https://mega.co.nz/#!P8hl1S5L!RnZ70Fy3vpNZAp7tLqtn90cltDAvI6ciIZxQrX5fpbc

Thanks! Does the boot file that came with batman's guide work?

Snowshiro
Oct 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks! Does the boot file that came with batman's guide work?

Yep - I used that boot with the kernel I just posted.

Have you had any luck installing chameleon yet?

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
Yep - I used that boot with the kernel I just posted.

Have you had any luck installing chameleon yet?

No, unfortunately not. It seems that my HD is not supported out of the box. You said in an earlier post that you configured chameleon. How did you do that? Did you just edit the plist that's on the Extra folder, or did you run the wizard?
Do you also do the bless thing?

Snowshiro
Oct 25, 2013, 07:49 AM
No, unfortunately not. It seems that my HD is not supported out of the box. You said in an earlier post that you configured chameleon. How did you do that? Did you just edit the plist that's on the Extra folder, or did you run the wizard?
Do you also do the bless thing?

Check your PMs - easier to chat on skype or a messenger or something.

Hennesie2000
Oct 25, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm going out to buy an external case and do it the way you did, because I'm having no success with the method described by batmanofzurenarh, and it would require me 2 HD's.

Could you please post again your Extra folder? I tried the version you uploaded but it's not there anymore.

Also, do you know which version of Chameleon should I use, and which settings? I keep getting Boot0 following batmanofzurenarh's guide - dunno if it has to do with the fact that I'm trying to do it from an MLPF OS X 10.8 system.

I did not drag a boot file or mach_kernel file to the root. Just install chameleon and then copy the extra folder. Change the serial number in the SMBios.plist. I used the version of Chameleon that batman had posted but then I updated it to the newest version using the Chameleon Wizard.

Also when I am done testing this weekend I have typed up a guide that I will post.

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 09:34 AM

I did not drag a boot file or mach_kernel file to the root. Just install chameleon and then copy the extra folder. Change the serial number in the SMBios.plist. I used the version of Chameleon that batman had posted but then I updated it to the newest version using the Chameleon Wizard.

Also when I am done testing this weekend I have typed up a guide that I will post.

Thanks Hennesie2000. I guess I have a problem of another sort - my HD is a 2TB one, and it seems chameleon has issues with it... :(

Hennesie2000
Oct 25, 2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks Hennesie2000. I guess I have a problem of another sort - my HD is a 2TB one, and it seems chameleon has issues with it... :(

I am using a 1TB Seagate SSHD with 3 partitions.

RV-ABZ
Oct 25, 2013, 10:34 AM
Re: boot0 errors, this usually happens on 4k sector HDDs and there are manual ways to fix it. A google search should bring a few links with fixes, mostly on Hackintosh sites.

Oculos
Oct 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
I don't know if this will or is a problem to anyone, but I thought it might help someone with a similar issue:

I have 2tb seagate drives. I was getting a boot0: error message when installing. Then, with the help of some guides on the net (and the patient guidance of Snowshiro, to whom I publicly express my gratitude here), I finally managed to get the installer running.

The secret, wildly available on the net, is to run a 'sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2" (considering you are in a folder with a boot1h and s2 your booting partition).

There are lots of explanations on the net of why this needs to be done when getting a boot0: error.

Thing is, when doing this, I got past the boot0: error, but got another EBIOS read error. I was about to give up, but the secret is that, after around 7min (YMMV), it booted into the installer.

So patience is the secret here. Now the installer is running and I believe the machine will happily boot Mavericks! :)

kjricso
Oct 25, 2013, 11:51 AM
If anyone is able to get 10.9 to work with a macbook 2008 please PM me thanks.

Weedmon
Oct 25, 2013, 04:04 PM
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 und Snow Leopard installed. Does this fit with Mavericks?
If it does, can I put the other Partitions (Recovery etc.) on a second HDD? Becaus my SSD inside only has 64GB so I would install on it only the main partition. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother language.

THX and greetz,
Weedmon

gio64
Oct 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
Hi, I ended up locating a 5770 and purchasing it, so my MacPro 1.1 is now running Mavericks and most stuff seems to work fine.
I do have a couple of questions:
My CPUs show up as Intel Core 2 Duo (2 x 2.99 GHz). I have 2 x 3.0 GHz Xeons.
The 5770 shows up as 5000.
I also did a Geekbench 64 Bit test and the score is lower than it was under Lion.
If anyone can explain to me if this is normal or if there is something I need to change, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Snowshiro
Oct 25, 2013, 08:14 PM
I have 2tb seagate drives. I was getting a boot0: error message when installing. Then, with the help of some guides on the net (and the patient guidance of Snowshiro, to whom I publicly express my gratitude here), I finally managed to get the installer running.

That was good fun. These are still such great machines - I'm glad you're going to stick with it instead of a mini. Good luck with upgrades as well.

gio64
Oct 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 und Snow Leopard installed. Does this fit with Mavericks?
If it does, can I put the other Partitions (Recovery etc.) on a second HDD? Becaus my SSD inside only has 64GB so I would install on it only the main partition. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother language.

THX and greetz,
Weedmon

Mine booted with a 3870 on. Screen was not proper resolution and there was no way to change it, but it worked. I posted that a couple of pages back. I am now on a 5770, so things are looking good.

HonestLai
Oct 25, 2013, 09:22 PM

Actually, using info on this thread, I was able to successfully install it on my MB4,1 pretty smoothly.

Main issues I'm working out now are:
1. Graphics: CE/CL accélération
2. No Sound
3. No Sleep
4. No response to brightness

Hennesie2000
Oct 25, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hi, I ended up locating a 5770 and purchasing it, so my MacPro 1.1 is now running Mavericks and most stuff seems to work fine.
I do have a couple of questions:
My CPUs show up as Intel Core 2 Duo (2 x 2.99 GHz). I have 2 x 3.0 GHz Xeons.
The 5770 shows up as 5000.
I also did a Geekbench 64 Bit test and the score is lower than it was under Lion.
If anyone can explain to me if this is normal or if there is something I need to change, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

You need to add a CPU type to you org.chameleon.bios.plist to correct the CPU. Look at my files I posted. I think the type is 1281.

gio64
Oct 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
You need to add a CPU type to you org.chameleon.bios.plist to correct the CPU. Look at my files I posted. I think the type is 1281.

Thank you, it is the first time around for me doing this stuff. I will try that later or tomorrow, I need to do somethings.
I did think there was something int that file, but I was not sure about what to do.

gio64
Oct 25, 2013, 10:38 PM

I did so and managed.

I now have Dual-Core Intel Xeon.
The clock speed however, is still set to 2.99 GHz as opposed to 3.0?
Does this change anything, or is it just naming?
Sorry, bear with me...
And of course, thank you very much for all the help!

Hennesie2000
Oct 25, 2013, 11:28 PM
I did so and managed.

I now have Dual-Core Intel Xeon.
The clock speed however, is still set to 2.99 GHz as opposed to 3.0?
Does this change anything, or is it just naming?
Sorry, bear with me...
And of course, thank you very much for all the help!

It's just cosmetic but I think using the Chameleon Wizard you can change the displayed clock speed.

RV-ABZ
Oct 26, 2013, 02:37 AM
Actually, using info on this thread, I was able to successfully install it on my MB4,1 pretty smoothly.

Main issues I'm working out now are:
1. Graphics: CE/CL accélération
2. No Sound
3. No Sleep
4. No response to brightnessYou did a fresh install, not an upgrade through AppleMenu->Software update, which remains impossible unless you make your MB4,1 pretend it is a compatible newer/better model.

For all interested parties (and there are several...), how does it run/feel without graphics acceleration?

AppleMark
Oct 26, 2013, 05:42 AM
Hello,

Does anybody know, or have any experience of being able to dual boot Snow Leopard with Mavericks? Can I just partition and install another SL on my HD, then migrate what I want to keep (which will be obsolete on mavericks) to the partition with my preferences etc and upgrade my main system to Mavericks?

I am just concerned that there maybe firmware updates to my system which may prevent the use of SL on my machine afterwards.

I wish to retain about 50GB for PPC older Quark and other programs I do not need upgrade at this time.

FYI, I have a 2011 iMac and older machines.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

RV-ABZ
Oct 26, 2013, 06:03 AM
If anyone is able to get 10.9 to work with a macbook 2008 please PM me thanks.Kjricso, you've already been told 3 or 4 times: Mavericks does not support GMA X3100-based MacBooks. ML did not either, so the trick was to use 32bit MLPF but there's no such trick for Mavericks.

Which part of the word 'No' do you have trouble understanding???

One last time, if you install Mavericks on your early-2008 Black MacBook4,1 (2.4GHz T8300), it'll run like crap so don't bother! Just stick to Lion or MLPF.

RV-ABZ
Oct 26, 2013, 06:29 AM
It's just cosmetic but I think using the Chameleon Wizard you can change the displayed clock speed.Absolutely, you can edit your SMBIOS plist to modify cosmetic info such as CPU clock or RAM speed.

This being said, once Chameleon has been updated to reflect true Xeon CPU id, a reported speed of 2.99GHz is quite the same as the manufacturer's advertised speed of 3.0GHz ;)

mtcross
Oct 26, 2013, 07:00 AM

I'm having the same problem with an 8800GT. I can hear the voice over on the Mavericks install telling me to press enter for English but the screen is black. The screen also goes black if I select my Lion boot disk so I think it's something to do with the Chameleon startup disk. I'm hoping to find a setting that's specific to ATI versus Nvidia because I see all the people having success are running ATI cards.

Edit #1: After continuing to read the thread I see that this was resolved by Hennesie2000 in post #169. Going to try it now!

Edit #2: Adding the GraphicsEnabler entry to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file worked for me.

gio64
Oct 26, 2013, 07:52 AM
You did a fresh install, not an upgrade through AppleMenu->Software update, which remains impossible unless you make your MB4,1 pretend it is a compatible newer/better model.

For all interested parties (and there are several...), how does it run/feel without graphics acceleration?

I geek benched it. I had an issue with it showing Intel Core 2 Duo instead of Xeon. I don't know if this means anything, but it scored in 64 Bit mode about 450 less than Lion. Once fixed the Xeon, I re-ran the test and the score was slightly higher than the one in Lion.

As far as the performance, I don't see differences at the moment. I'll try to encode some stuff and see how that goes.

...So, there's no graphics acceleration? Can it be implemented?

One more thing: After downloading the dylib iMessage works fine.
Also, this computer has become quieter than a whisper... I was reading a couple of days ago in regards to a Mac model "you have to NOT HEAR IT to realize how quiet it is"... It is amazing. In Lion I also had an issue that prevented it from sleeping. It is gone now.

----------

Absolutely, you can edit your SMBIOS plist to modify cosmetic info such as CPU clock or RAM speed.

This being said, once Chameleon has been updated to reflect true Xeon CPU id, a reported speed of 2.99GHz is quite the same as the manufacturer's advertised speed of 3.0GHz ;)

Like I said to Hennessie, I'm a noob at this stuff.
How do I input the string for those 2?

RV-ABZ
Oct 26, 2013, 08:04 AM
I geek benched it. I had an issue with it showing Intel Core 2 Duo instead of Xeon. I don't know if this means anything, but it scored in 64 Bit mode about 450 less than Lion. Once fixed the Xeon, I re-ran the test and the score was slightly higher than the one in Lion.

As far as the performance, I don't see differences at the moment. I'll try to encode some stuff and see how that goes.

...So, there's no graphics acceleration? Can it be implemented???? You're confusing things! I was talking about a MacBook4,1 to someone else. Nothing to do with your MacPro1,1...

institute
Oct 26, 2013, 08:06 AM
Delete

RV-ABZ
Oct 26, 2013, 08:07 AM
How do I input the string for those 2? As Hennessie said, use Chameleon Wizard to edit the SMBIOS plist...

Hennesie2000
Oct 26, 2013, 08:16 AM
Hello,

Does anybody know, or have any experience of being able to dual boot Snow Leopard with Mavericks? Can I just partition and install another SL on my HD, then migrate what I want to keep (which will be obsolete on mavericks) to the partition with my preferences etc and upgrade my main system to Mavericks?

I am just concerned that there maybe firmware updates to my system which may prevent the use of SL on my machine afterwards.

I wish to retain about 50GB for PPC older Quark and other programs I do not need upgrade at this time.

FYI, I have a 2011 iMac and older machines.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Just setup mavericks on a new partition with chameleon and then bless the chameleon boot. I dual booted lion and mavericks for a while so I could migrate all my docs, photos and music. Now I just use chameleon to dual boot Mavericks and Windows 7.

----------

How do I input the string for those 2?

Use the Chameleon Wizard to modify the SMBios. It will add the right strings for you an you can enter in the key values.

gio64
Oct 26, 2013, 08:50 AM
??? You're confusing things! I was talking about a MacBook4,1 to someone else. Nothing to do with your MacPro1,1...

Sorry...

indiecraig
Oct 26, 2013, 11:34 AM
Kjricso, you've already been told 3 or 4 times: Mavericks does not support GMA X3100-based MacBooks. ML did not either, so the trick was to use 32bit MLPF but there's no such trick for Mavericks.

Which part of the word 'No' do you have trouble understanding???

One last time, if you install Mavericks on your early-2008 Black MacBook4,1 (2.4GHz T8300), it'll run like crap so don't bother! Just stick to Lion or MLPF.

This is what I came here to learn. It's slightly disappointing that it won't work, but I have been considering upgrading for a year or so already.

Please don't get angry at me for asking this though:
You say that "there's no such trick for Mavericks". By this do you mean that there's not such trick YET, or that no such trick will EVER be possible. If the latter, then I will start saving for a new computer!

Thanks,
Craig.

Hennesie2000
Oct 26, 2013, 01:22 PM
This is what I came here to learn. It's slightly disappointing that it won't work, but I have been considering upgrading for a year or so already.

Please don't get angry at me for asking this though:
You say that "there's no such trick for Mavericks". By this do you mean that there's not such trick YET, or that no such trick will EVER be possible. If the latter, then I will start saving for a new computer!

Thanks,
Craig.

There was a MLPF because there were some 32bit kext left behind in ML DP1 that made it possible to put together a 32bit running Mt Lion. This is not the case with Mavericks. There are no 64bit drivers for the older graphics hence it won't boot. So unless someone writes a bunch of 64bit kext for those older graphics then there is no chance. Correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding of this whole issue.

scara
Oct 26, 2013, 01:33 PM
Is there a trick to getting chameleon to boot?
I've tried the -setBoot -legacy parameter, but I only get an extra "efi boot" option. The drive has a mbr lay-out.

The system is a Mac Pro 1. Does the drive position matter? I'm using a clean snow leopard install to perform the bless.

PeterHolbrook
Oct 26, 2013, 01:41 PM
Is there a trick to getting chameleon to boot?
I've tried the -setBoot -legacy parameter, but I only get an extra "efi boot" option. The drive has a mbr lay-out.

The system is a Mac Pro 1. Does the drive position matter? I'm using a clean snow leopard install to perform the bless.

No, there isn't a "trick" as such. Make sure your syntax and the volume name are correct. My advice is that you look for Jabbawok's blog and follow it with attention, taking care to "translate" his "ML instructions" to the corresponding "Mavericks instructions" contributed by several people in the blog.

RV-ABZ
Oct 26, 2013, 03:25 PM
There was a MLPF because there were some 32bit kext left behind in ML DP1 that made it possible to put together a 32bit running Mt Lion. This is not the case with Mavericks. There are no 64bit drivers for the older graphics hence it won't boot. So unless someone writes a bunch of 64bit kext for those older graphics then there is no chance. Correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding of this whole issue.It actually goes beyond the lack 64bit kext issue.

Since ML, Apple have adopted OpenGL/OpenCL 4 and that is not supported by those legacy Intel GMA/nVidia chips. Like I said before, that is evolution on the Apple side, it's perfectly normal.

So lack of 64bit kexts + unsupported OpenGL/OpenCL means you can totally forget about Mavericks. Lack of EFI64 is an issue but it can be circumvented (modified boot.efi or Chameleon boot loader).

Again, as I said before, the trick with MLPF was:
1) being able to call on DP1 32bit ML kernel
2) being able to call on Lion 32bit graphics kexts
3) being able to revert to older OpenGL/OpenCL code

With Mavericks, you can't do 1) and 2) because the kernels are 64bit only. Apple never released 64bit kexts for older Intel GMA + nVidia chips/graphics cards, so it's a no-no. Many people tried the unofficial 64bit GMA kexts that Apple had included in a pre-release version of 10.6.2, but they're bugged, unstable and quite unusable.

That why I stick 100% to my statement that those older systems WILL NEVER be able to run Mavericks properly.

Now, people believe/accept those facts or not, that's up to them; but they should stop asking about it knowing and seeing that there is no positive answer. Keeping on waiting for an eventual solution is just plain stupidity in my opinion. Neither ML4All nor HackerWayne will produce stable & usable 64bit kexts for those legacy graphics chips. Only Apple could do that and they won't. Full stop. Next.

hezr
Oct 26, 2013, 03:57 PM
Do you also have a Windows install/partition?

I do not.

I have 2 SATA drives mirrored for the existing snow leopard install with a PATA to Compact Flash adapter which I installed Chameleon on. On the compact flash card I have 2 partitions, the first has Chameleon installed and the second I've copied over the Mavericks install files. After following the instructions and rebooting, I get the black screen with "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" (I am assuming this black screen during boot is Chameleon booting but don't know how to verify that) or if I hold down option when booting I only see my old install and not the Chameleon install.

Hennesie2000
Oct 26, 2013, 05:18 PM
I do not.

I have 2 SATA drives mirrored for the existing snow leopard install with a PATA to Compact Flash adapter which I installed Chameleon on. On the compact flash card I have 2 partitions, the first has Chameleon installed and the second I've copied over the Mavericks install files. After following the instructions and rebooting, I get the black screen with "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" (I am assuming this black screen during boot is Chameleon booting but don't know how to verify that) or if I hold down option when booting I only see my old install and not the Chameleon install.

Have you ever booted using the PATA adapter installed like that before? It sounds like that device is not being found on boot. Which is why when holding option it is not recognized. You are able to bless it when running 10.6 because it shows up then. However it is not loading that device at boot and you are getting the no bootable device found because it can't find the chameleon install.

hezr
Oct 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
Have you ever booted using the PATA adapter installed like that before? It sounds like that device is not being found on boot. Which is why when holding option it is not recognized. You are able to bless it when running 10.6 because it shows up then. However it is not loading that device at boot and you are getting the no bootable device found because it can't find the chameleon install.

Interesting.... Any ideas for getting around this? I'd rather no have to boot of a large noisy older pata drive.

Hennesie2000
Oct 26, 2013, 05:56 PM
Interesting.... Any ideas for getting around this? I'd rather no have to boot of a large noisy older pata drive.

If you are setting up a new HDD you can create the startup partition on there. I tried a method of creating a chameleon/installer partition on an existing OS 10.7.5 partition using disk utility and I was also getting the "no bootable device found...". I was hoping that I would be able to upgrade a 10.7.5 install using only the Mac Pro. I will have to mess around with it more later.

DK Hedgefund
Oct 26, 2013, 07:33 PM
Thx Guys for the input in this thread.

Are the owner of a mac pro1 (2x2.66mhz 5150 zeon with the original std. 256 mb Nvidia grafik GT Card and with 7GB 667 ram)

Useally im 95 % of the time booted up in Windows, and it Works great, ewen thow the grafikcard from times to time comes short, when running realtimes stock & quotes streaming program on multiple screens, but its okay, and useable at the time.

Are planning a clean OSX install on one of the disks (got 4 sata, and 1 Intel 80 GB SSD inside and some external Networks disks)

And was wondering when I lately have heard about the new free Mavericks OSX in the news, if that was a choice.

But it seems it aint, due to some lack in grafic codes and same goes for ML.

But what is preferable then.. Lion ' or Snov Leopard for this older mac pro on a SSD intel disk?