PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think?

MultiMediaWill
Jun 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
What do you think of Mavericks? Anything noteworthy?

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Everything

Michael Goff
Jun 10, 2013, 12:40 PM
I'm loving this.

Edit: Haven't seen a bad thing yet.

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
I'm loving this.

Edit: Haven't seen a bad thing yet.

All these features are mouth watering, I can also sense quick reply for iOS after that notification thing

Garrod
Jun 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
I'm disappointed - I had a £10 bet with my brother that it was going to be called Sea Lion. How my heart sank when they showed that image and it turned out to be a joke.

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
I'm disappointed - I had a £10 bet with my brother that it was going to be called Sea Lion. How my heart sank when they showed that image and it turned out to be a joke.

Haha, I thought he was serious

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
When he said that he would like to mention three features, and then said Finder tabs, Multiple Displays and Tags, I really thought "that is it???".

15 minutes later, I'm *really* wanting Mavericks! So many awesome features! :)

Andrmgic
Jun 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
I want it now.

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 12:48 PM
Why did people get especially excited for the calendar? I'm fairly new to Mac, is it that they went back to how it used to be?

leman
Jun 10, 2013, 12:49 PM
I am a bit dissapointed that there is no new filesystem, but all the power saving and optimization features are simply incredibly amazing. If it really works that smoothly, then this is indeed some ingenious software engineering and a much bigger deal then most people would think. For example, something like timer coalescing Craig talked about is really difficult to implement. The multiple display support is also a big deal and much harder to do properly then some might think.

And they seems to have solved almost everything people complain about in ML :) I am happy that Apple seems to focus at technical, innovative aspects of software again and not just looks.

----------

When he said that he would like to mention three features, and then said Finder tabs, Multiple Displays and Tags, I really thought "that is it???".

15 minutes later, I'm *really* wanting Mavericks! So many awesome features! :)

Haha, same here :D

Small White Car
Jun 10, 2013, 12:49 PM
I was right about Final Cut X. As much of a problem as people had with it, it was clearly a prototype of where Apple is headed. Those of us who took the time to learn FCX are familiar with tags already. Glad to see it spreading.

ltorrelles
Jun 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
OpenGL 4. With that, everything has been said.

meme1255
Jun 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Presented similar way to Snow Leopard, with great improvements in Finder and OpenGL 4... I looks really good!

maflynn
Jun 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Lots of great features, I'm stoked :)

stridemat
Jun 10, 2013, 12:53 PM

I think I need a new mac :(

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 12:54 PM
What actually is OpenGL4?

jeznav
Jun 10, 2013, 12:55 PM

Agreed. Now Unity 4.x can now support 3d tessellation so I don't have to Bootcamp.

leman
Jun 10, 2013, 12:57 PM
What actually is OpenGL4?

Its the software library (API) which allows your apps to access all the functionality of your GPU ;)

annk
Jun 10, 2013, 12:58 PM

Here too. I'm excited, and didn't really expect to be.

z06gal
Jun 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
Really excited for this release :)

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
Its the software library (API) which allows your apps to access all the functionality of your GPU ;)

I need to start learning stuff like this

Bear
Jun 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
App Nap is the feature that worries me most. Will you be able to exempt applications from napping? I would hate for a network application to timeout because it was made to nap by the OS.

iMcLovin
Jun 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
I like the new technical features. Im disappointed that the design is the same. I was hoping for some visual UI improvements somewhat similar to iOS, which looks amazing.

trigonometry
Jun 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
I wish we could have it today but it'll go nicely with a new 15" rMBP. Really pumped about the multiple monitor enhancements. I even did a little dance.

fisherking
Jun 10, 2013, 02:32 PM
the under-the-hood stuff looks great. wish they'd kill the hideous dock. am excited for this, tho...it's the performance enhancements that i want most...

Ddyracer
Jun 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
the under-the-hood stuff looks great. wish they'd kill the hideous dock. am excited for this, tho...it's the performance enhancements that i want most...

It looks just as good as 10.8 dock since its the same. What's so bad about it?

fisherking
Jun 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
It looks just as good as 10.8 dock since its the same. What's so bad about it?

it's still ugly, it's ALWAYS been ugly. fake 3d, waste of space...anyway, i've modded EVERY dock since 10.3, so will mod this one too.. :cool:

TheGdog
Jun 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
Honesty, between ios7 and 10.9 I am shocked. In a good way however, it seems it be a slightly differently way of thinking. They are starting to realize most people using OSX are power users and want features like finder tabs and good dual monitor support. I'm very happy!

Ddyracer
Jun 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
it's still ugly, it's ALWAYS been ugly. fake 3d, waste of space...anyway, i've modded EVERY dock since 10.3, so will mod this one too.. :cool:

Huh. I love the way it looks now. Clean but not flat.

So, did you just remove the dock with mirage?

printz
Jun 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
I'm not overly excited as much as thinking "It was about time!". Interface-wise, i.e. with Finder and multi-screen, it seems like it's playing catch-up to competing systems, like Ubuntu Unity, which looks like OSX with the dock, but has addressed these issues. Nice of Apple to fix it as well. The multimonitor space scrolling may boost my productivity, so thanks. I hope they still unveil some feature that makes it revolutionary, in the same way Lion was to Snow Leopard (most notably, system-wide Autosave/Versions/Resume, great safety nets that other OS can't replicate).

Regarding CPU/memory management improvement (if it works): I don't care that much; my rMBP is already a beast, I don't experience delays. I wish and hope they'll improve the rMBP rendering quality instead.

The name Mavericks is too American and not as cute as cats. It also is like the Windows codenames (not even release names): Chicago, Memphis, Longhorn… I prefer they used the Apple wine names as official names now :)

travisbrowning
Jun 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
It's nothing HUGE, however I'm excited for every single feature it seems. Great job, Apple :apple:

applesith
Jun 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
Looks really good! It's what you'd expect to keep Mac performance ahead of PC performance in terms of the OS.

Hate the name but luckily it doesn't make much of a difference.

printz
Jun 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
Hate the name but luckily it doesn't make much of a difference.

The logo also looks like a Close button.

fisherking
Jun 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
Huh. I love the way it looks now. Clean but not flat.

So, did you just remove the dock with mirage?

in the past, i've changed files, but this time, mirage (and some custom icons)..
and will find a way in 10.7 as well... :cool:

http://floydfisher.com/dockML.jpg

32KFJ
Jun 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
looking forward to the new Mac OS X.. :)

very good presentation from craig hairforce one :)

let's start the testing!

and i think the gap between mac os X and ios 7 is gigantic..

maybe the real ios 7 design is just not finished :)

notrack
Jun 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
Why did people get especially excited for the calendar? I'm fairly new to Mac, is it that they went back to how it used to be?

I think it's a real productivity bump. Imagine the power efficiency combined with the increased battery life of the MacBook Air. :D

Hopefully there will also be some improved file handling with icloud. It just doesn't make sense to drag and drop the whole HD to icloud. Sync certain folders or tags would be great.

alexmshore
Jun 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
One thing that I found odd was they changed the design of iCal but stuck with the same design for both Notes and Reminders - despite altering them in the new iOS.

They don't really need changing as they don't seem as bad as iCal did, but I would have thought they would have done the lot.

JohnDoe98
Jun 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with the keynote. But as always we'll have to see the final version to see if any glaring omissions remains, they couldn't demo/announce all the features given the time.

kramjam
Jun 10, 2013, 03:49 PM
Seems like a solid release, just wondering why some of the design from iOS7 isn't carrying over. Perhaps next year they will unify some the new design elements over to the desktop?

PBP
Jun 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
Any info on the system requirements?

1member1
Jun 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
I like it a lot, mostly the cpu improvments and the new safari. I can feel all those needs with my rmbp 13.

they fixed the screen problem and even got better with mission control on it. looks great imo.

can't wait for fall.

Jun 10, 2013, 04:04 PM

I am glad for the improved Finder and the fact it's not just more of iOSified crap - for these reasons alone I am upgrading.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Compressed memory is one of the biggest features in 10.9.x+. Apple uses already compression for Window buffers (since Mac OS X 10.1.5) and for “sleep” files (via WKdm (i think since Mac OS X 10.3.x)).

Here is my post regarding compressed memory (29. Nov. 2011):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13935092#post13935092

I wrote Apple via:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks Apple for the implementation! :-)

oatman13
Jun 10, 2013, 05:05 PM
Compressed memory is one of the biggest features in 10.9.x+. Apple uses already compression for Window buffers (since Mac OS X 10.1.5) and for “sleep” files (via WKdm (i think since Mac OS X 10.3.x)).

Here is my post regarding compressed memory (29. Nov. 2011):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13935092#post13935092

I wrote Apple via:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks Apple for the implementation! :-)
No Sir, thank you. lol Along with this I have to say that OpenGL 4.0 is the second greatest improvement with this release.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 10, 2013, 05:13 PM
No.

JazzyGB1
Jun 10, 2013, 05:45 PM
I have to say Apple have won me over with this.
After all the (poor) porting of IOS 'features' into a computer OS Apple have finally looked at what enhances the computer users experience.
The three things they featured are great because they are genuine improvements to a MAC OS, not ported gimmicks from IOS.
The improvement to multiple displays is long overdue, but looks to have been superbly implemented - same goes for tabs and full screen on the finder too and the tags feature is great and looks really useful.
Really well thought out genuine improvements for a COMPUTER OS - well done Apple, I'll be buying it as soon as it's available. :)

PS: Just hope they give me the option to have the colour back in the finder sidebar too and then I'll be a VERY happy bunny indeed. :)

mentalcase
Jun 10, 2013, 08:26 PM
in the past, i've changed files, but this time, mirage (and some custom icons)..
and will find a way in 10.7 as well... :cool:

Image (http://floydfisher.com/dockML.jpg)

If you don't mind me asking how did you get those icons and set them for your stacks?

fisherking
Jun 10, 2013, 08:31 PM
If you don't mind me asking how did you get those icons and set them for your stacks?

i've had those icons for so long, i don't remember the source... probably from macthemes.net...

Krazy Bill
Jun 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Can't wait to try the dual monitor crap. Perhaps I'll even attempt it in Full Screen. :eek:

So again, somebody tell me why was this so hard to do in the previous two releases?

Typswif2fingers
Jun 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
Been using it for 3 hours now.. Tbh. it is quite a decent improvement.

Drew017
Jun 10, 2013, 10:16 PM
I really think this seems like it could be the best release yet. I even like the name :D I think Apple finally put some serious thought into what would really make us users happy and what would make our Macs more powerful and fast and better to use.

I love the memory compression, accelerated scrolling, and the app nap features. This should make my 11 inch MacBook Air a lot better to use.

I can't wait to try out the release ;) Why does downloading 4.6 gigs feel like it's taking forever? :p

leman
Jun 10, 2013, 10:59 PM
No.

I find it to be a good enough explanation to a non-programmer. If you think you can do better, go ahead

----------

No Sir, thank you. lol Along with this I have to say that OpenGL 4.0 is the second greatest improvement with this release.

Its GL 4.1... ;) GL 4.0 would have been a weird choice. I hoped for 4.3, but well... I suppose you cant get everything

lupinglade
Jun 10, 2013, 11:10 PM
Seems like a solid release, just wondering why some of the design from iOS7 isn't carrying over. Perhaps next year they will unify some the new design elements over to the desktop?

I hope not :mad:

AlphaDeuce
Jun 10, 2013, 11:15 PM
I give it Mavericks a big thumbs up!

The Apple ecosystem is going to be hard to beat. The tighter integration with iOS 7 and iCloud is the really cool part to me.

I am going to wait until OS X Mavericks is released before I buy the new MacBook Air. My future MacBook Air will replace my Mac Pro 1,1 since my Mac Pro cannot be updated passed 10.7.

kmj2318
Jun 10, 2013, 11:21 PM
Looks incredible

Dolorian
Jun 10, 2013, 11:25 PM
I like the new technical features. Im disappointed that the design is the same. I was hoping for some visual UI improvements somewhat similar to iOS, which looks amazing.

They wouldn't do that for a release that still falls within OS X. It is likely coming next year with OS XI.

Bear
Jun 10, 2013, 11:29 PM
They wouldn't do that for a release that still falls within OS X. It is likely coming next year with OS XI.Why do people seem so hot for OS XI? After 10.9 will most likely be 10.10.0 - during the keynote they talked about running out of cat names for OS X, so they were switching to places in California. That doesn't sound like they're planning on changing the name of the OS.

They've done UI changes between different versions of OS X, there is no reason for them to not do it again.

mdapple
Jun 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
anyone have problems with commonly used apps? as in… spottily, Skype, MS office suite, etc.

moxin
Jun 11, 2013, 03:07 AM
looks fantastic

damox
Jun 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
how about resolution scaling on rMBP? do you see any difference? i have 15 inch rMBP 2,4 GHz and I'm really disappointed when using 1680 x 1050 res (even on nvidia's GPU) because of sluggish system animations and so on.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 11, 2013, 12:38 PM
I find it to be a good enough explanation to a non-programmer. If you think you can do better, go ahead
GPUs support more than “just” OpenGL, and you said:
Its the software library (API) which allows your apps to access all the functionality of your GPU

This is misleading.

Jun 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
My impression is that Mavericks will be the NEW Snow Leopard - not a lot of eye candy but plenty of under-the-hood improvements. Mark my words.

FSUSem1noles
Jun 11, 2013, 01:09 PM
running smooth so far. Have yet to run into anything major debacles, actually surprised that majority of my 3rd party apps actually still work. *Knock on Wood*

tigres
Jun 11, 2013, 01:09 PM
My impression is that Mavericks will be the NEW Snow Leopard - not a lot of eye candy but plenty of under-the-hood improvements. Mark my words.

I hope you are correct.

Ddyracer
Jun 11, 2013, 01:23 PM
I hope you are correct.

If he's not, hold him responsible if things go awry.

scottlitch
Jun 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
I'm really surprised they aren't bringing the look of iOS 7 onto the Mac with 10.9 Mavericks. Is anyone else hopeful they just didn't want to spoil the surprise of the new look for iOS in the presentation? I hope final release of Mavericks will ship with an updated interface to match the new look of iOS!

meme1255
Jun 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
I hope not.. OS X's GUI is last thing they should change! Now they should optimize OS X performance and implement new technologies, not break things that are working! /at least now/ - I don't wan't another Lion :mad:

Jun 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
if he's not, hold him responsible if things go awry.

I am ready to face up to the consequences of my act :)

Carl Sagan
Jun 11, 2013, 03:04 PM
How have people found the impact on battery life?

Ddyracer
Jun 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
I am ready to face up to the consequences of my act :)

Good man! :D

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 11, 2013, 03:32 PM
If he's not, hold him responsible if things go awry.
Will do! Thanks for the advice!

:D

Mustard Seed
Jun 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
What about Nvidia drivers/CUDA? Any support for Titan?