PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces New MacBook Airs with Haswell Processors and 'All-Day' Battery Life

MacRumors
Jun 10, 2013, 12:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-new-macbook-airs-with-haswell-processors/)

At today's WWDC keynote in San Francisco, California, Apple announced new 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs, which have been designed with battery life in mind. As expected, the new Airs use Haswell processors that offer enhanced performance and significantly improved battery life, but feature no cosmetic changes.

With the new Haswell processors, The 11" MacBook Air will now have nine hours of battery life while the 13" MacBook Air will have a stunning 12 hours of battery life.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/macbookairs-800x447.jpg
In addition to Haswell processors, the new MacBooks feature 802.11ac compatibility, with support for the "Gigabit WiFi" 802.11ac specification. Gigabit WiFi offers speeds up to three times as fast as existing 802.11n wireless networks.

The 11" MacBook Air starts at $999 with a 128GB hard drive and the 13" MacBook Air with a 128GB hard drive starts at $1099. Apple's MacBook Airs are available today from Apple's Online Store (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air) and at retail locations.

Article Link: Apple Announces New MacBook Airs with Haswell Processors and 'All-Day' Battery Life (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-new-macbook-airs-with-haswell-processors/)

appleguy123
Jun 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
That battery life is making it very tempting to upgrade. If only I had the cash right now.

slumpey326
Jun 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
That battery life is making it very tempting to upgrade. If only I had the cash right now.

do you think there will be a BTO to upgrade the display to 1080p. This is very sad if it is still the old display resolutions. That is like so ancient by today's terms.

Bibbed
I know these will be available in the online store today, but how soon do the physical Apple Stores usually have them in stock?

Ndynslvr

I am delaying my purchase till OSX Mavericks.

appleguy123
Jun 10, 2013, 01:00 PM
do you think there will be a BTO to upgrade the display to 1080p. .

They're still 16:10, so no. I love 16:10, so I'm not complaining.

WWDC2013
Jun 10, 2013, 01:01 PM
Very disappointed with such minor updates! :-(

Chub
Jun 10, 2013, 01:03 PM
Please tell me the screen has been updated. The battery life is all well and good, but I want a better screen. Nothing makes me want to get this over a Windows Ultrabook now and I was really looking forward to something "better".

robE89
Jun 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
was really hoping for at least 1080p display :( meh.

UnalignedByte
Jun 10, 2013, 01:05 PM
I feel tempted to upgrade my 2010 MacBook white now

n1tut
Jun 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
What an anti climax.

We knew Haswell would be in, but that is it, better battery life.

tut

ApplNat
Jun 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
Nope. No better screen.

Marketing hype to call it the all new line of MacBook Airs.

Same Macbook Airs just with Haswell chip, which provides longer battery life.

Same body, same size screen, same everything else.

That said, I'm ready to purchase as I don't have a mac now and was waiting for the 2013 models to come out. And now they have. 13" is in my (near) future as soon as I can purchase one.

KylePowers
Jun 10, 2013, 01:07 PM
Almost twice the battery life, almost twice the graphics power, and 802.11ac? I wouldn't call that necessarily minor. What were you expecting? Built-in coffee maker?

EDIT: For some reason I considered almost 50% being twice the graphics power; but nonetheless, quite the improvement! Especially compared to my Sandy Bridge GPU.

sofakng
Jun 10, 2013, 01:08 PM
I'm still torn between 11" and 13"...

13" is so big if I'm mostly going to just use it on the couch...

Chub
Jun 10, 2013, 01:10 PM
Almost twice the battery life, almost twice the graphics power, and 802.11ac? I wouldn't call that necessarily minor. What were you expecting? Built-in coffee maker?

Twice the graphics power I don't think so and who is going to be using that 1GBps wireless connection anytime soon? I was truly looking forward to this and let's be honest it was a let down.

Scepticalscribe
Jun 10, 2013, 01:11 PM

Naturally. And with a conical burr grinder included, as well, please.

In any case, I am looking at the MBAs closely; I have one, and, while it is easily the best computer I have ever owned, I admit to viewing what is currently being unveiled with interest.

egoldin
Jun 10, 2013, 01:12 PM
Did they mention if you could upgrade the HD to 512GB?

DJTaurus
Jun 10, 2013, 01:13 PM
Why the f... so many years have passed and apple does not upgrade Time Machine/airport to full router/modem.... why????? :mad:

daneoni
Which they brought Retina but oh well...

greenythebeast
It's my understanding that Haswell ULT processors are dual core only. That sucks :(

RowellE
Jun 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
I know these will be available in the online store today, but how soon do the physical Apple Stores usually have them in stock?

I just got off the phone with our local Apple Store. They said they had no idea about new MacBook Airs. They told me if its available to purchase online To just go ahead and order it from there. I think they're just saying that because they don't know that the new MacBook Airs have been announced on the keynote already.

portishead
Jun 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
this would be my dream portable, except no retina display. Darn... Hopefully next year!

JSalig
Jun 10, 2013, 01:15 PM
Oh well. Was really hoping to upgrade my MBA this year but for battery life alone, I just can't justify it. I wasn't expecting retina but was hoping for some type of resolution bump. Looks like I'll be getting a rMBP whenever it gets Haswell.

NoSmd
Jun 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
So does that mean there will be no new macbook pro retina because they are finished with all of the hardware?

HiDEF
Jun 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
this would be my dream portable, except no retina display. Darn... Hopefully next year!

If MBA's were retina, won't the battery take a hit?

ApplNat
Jun 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
I bet there won't be any Retina in the MBA line for the next 2 yrs. Apple is not ready to converge the line, they still want to drive buyers to the higher profit margin MBP line with Retina. And, the model for MBA is thin, light, portable, not a "pro workhorse" type machine, even though many people report it does work for them in that capacity.

I believe it will take them 2 yrs (at least) to figure this out and decide what to do.

lbjsong
Jun 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
Darn ...
No retina MacBook Pro update

radiohead14
Jun 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
I'm sold. pretty much just debating whether to stay with an 11 or get the 13 this time around.

sofakng
Jun 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
I'm sold. pretty much just debating whether to stay with an 11 or get the 13 this time around.
Same here.

I went to Best Buy just before WWDC and I still think the 11" is best for me because it's so compact. The 13" is large and is a better "laptop" but I think the 11" is better for couch-surfing and a better iPad "replacement"...

calvol
Jun 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Keeping my 2010 13 Air, Haswell running hotter than Ivy, I prefer the Cool-C2D!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/06/haswell-heat/1

notjustjay
Jun 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Please tell me the screen has been updated. The battery life is all well and good, but I want a better screen. Nothing makes me want to get this over a Windows Ultrabook now and I was really looking forward to something "better".

I am also torn between the new MacBook Air and something like the Dell XPS 12 (which is supposed to get 9-10 hours of battery life). I really like Lenovo's Yoga 13 and if they hurry up and get Haswell in there, I mgiht just buy one.

HiDEF
Jun 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
will the current MBA's get a price cut?

----------

I am also torn between the new MacBook Air and something like the Dell XPS 12 (which is supposed to get 9-10 hours of battery life). I really like Lenovo's Yoga 13 and if they hurry up and get Haswell in there, I mgiht just buy one.

I believe the Yoga 11S has the Haswell chip..

Verix
Jun 10, 2013, 01:36 PM
So no news on the screen? If so, mightily disappointed.
Now I'll have to look into the competition. :mad:

techwhiz
Jun 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
Price is cheaper than the previous MBA.
128GB SSD is standard for $999 on the 11.6
256GB is now $100 cheaper on the 13.

Was contemplating a new machine so I can get my daughter out of the 7 year old MB Pro she is using.

I plan to give her my current Air and get a new one.

n1tut
Jun 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave...........

tut

kazmac
Jun 10, 2013, 01:44 PM
but until these get a better screen, I would wait to buy one.

Glad to see Apple is doing something on the software end to save battery life as well. Meh battery life was a huge issue for me with these.

But my heart is with the upcoming Mac Pro. That may eclipse every other new Mac as a must buy.

matw01
Jun 10, 2013, 01:45 PM
Looking to purchase my first macbook air and i am was waiting on the haswell upgrade.

Now that battery life has been improved on the 11" the only thing that makes me think twice is the lack of an SD card slot.

11" or 13" i am so torn, already have a "15 fully loaded xps 15 with 1080p screen so looking at something portable to take on trips and to work etc.

iwbyte
Jun 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
I am waiting to order these as soon as store is back open. Since I'm paying tax either way, it would be nice to pick up in store too.

How soon do folks think it will be at amazon or online retailers?

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 01:48 PM
What an anti climax.

We knew Haswell would be in, but that is it, better battery life.

tut

that's all many of us wanted. look at the battery size differences between the classic and retina macbooks... it's an ultralight. if you want high-res get the 13" retina.

i don't understand the complaint - seems like a no brainer to me

TouchMint.com
Jun 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
I take it they wont be introducing new macbook ret pros. =/

Saturn1217
Jun 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
Seriously this is one of the largest single generation jumps in battery-life we've ever seen and on Apple's ultraportable line where you need all the battery-life you can get. I was expecting 10hrs for the 13-inch and that was my optimistic guess. I'm a little disappointed that it appears 8gb is still only a BTO option but considering a redesign was not expected I think this update is fantastic.

Now I'm wondering if I should sell my current MBA while I can still get a good price or just stick with it since I just bought it 6-months ago...hmmm...

Also for all the retina whiners. The fact that apple just dropped the price (again) for the MBAs basically killed any hope of retina coming to this machine as it is currently branded. They will continue to make the rMBPs thinner and lighter and if you want retina buy those machines.

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 01:52 PM

are you serious? this is one of the largest jumps in battery life i've ever seen.

jdechko
Jun 10, 2013, 01:52 PM
that's all many of us wanted. look at the battery size differences between the classic and retina macbooks... it's an ultralight. if you want high-res get the 13" retina.

Exactly. This and the storage bump on the base 11" air is perfect for me.

Chub
Jun 10, 2013, 01:53 PM
Seriously this is one of the largest single generation jumps in battery-life we've ever seen and on Apple's ultraportable line where you need all the battery-life you can get. I was expecting 10hrs for the 13-inch and that was my optimistic guess. I'm a little disappointed that it appears 8gb is still only a BTO option but considering a redesign was not expected I think this update is fantastic.

Now I'm wondering if I should sell my current MBA while I can still get a good price or just stick with it since I just bought it 6-months ago...hmmm...

Also for all the retina whiners. The fact that apple just dropped the price (again) for the MBAs basically killed any hope of retina coming to this machine as it is currently branded. They will continue to make the rMBPs thinner and lighter and if you want retina buy those machines.

The issue is is that the new MBA is already old technology. This could have been something great but they even kept the same TN screen it's not even IPS. Battery life whether it be 10 or 12 hours, who cares? Before anyone moans at me for saying this I was looking into getting my first MBA but the choice is now clear that I will be going to the competition that will already have a long enough battery life and will at the same time have a decent screen.

TrollToddington
Jun 10, 2013, 01:54 PM
The new Haswell 13" 256GB/4GB costs as much as the late 2010 C2D 1.6GHz 13" 128GB/2GB. Just shows how much technology has moved on in 2.5 years. The new MacBook Air offers twice as much in every aspect as the 2010 MBA.

Now I wonder if there will be a 100$/Euro drop for the rMBP

n1tut
Jun 10, 2013, 02:00 PM

Understand that, but speculation was that there would be upgrades other than Haswell which we knew it would get. And that was from every guess across the Internet.

I was sure that there would be no Retina, or probable slimming down, but battery life over 7 hours is no big deal to lots of users, including me, that rarely take their MacBook out of the house.

tut

----------

ps:- on the other hand we do have a new 7 font.

tut

Chub
Jun 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
Understand that, but speculation was that there would be upgrades other than Haswell which we knew it would get. And that was from every guess across the Internet.

I was sure that there would be no Retina, or probable slimming down, but battery life over 7 hours is no big deal to lots of users, including me, that rarely take their MacBook out of the house.

tut

----------

ps:- on the other hand we do have a new 7 font.

tut

My thoughts exactly, I can't really see someone not being able to charge their MBA within even 7 hours let alone 12 and on that point, who would be using the MBA for over 7 hours without being anywhere near a plug socket.

zjazz
Jun 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Very disappointing no retina, and no I don't want 13 pro for retina, I want retina air for max portability!!! Cmon apple, with such a powerful internals its too bad this great new air is not retina......

identity
Jun 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
are you serious? this is one of the largest jumps in battery life i've ever seen.

It's all hype until the analysis proves it. All Haswell chips are getting battery life increases on top of a higher screen resolution that other companies have made.

ct1211
Jun 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
To everyone that was hoping for a "Retina" Macbook Air, I submit this. Marketing 101.

The only thing keeping most Macbook Pro buyers (read much more profitable buying sector) away from purchasing a (relatively) less profitable Air is Retina.

They wont be giving that up soon.

To those who feel the technology does not exist to put "Retina" in an Air like form factor, I submit the iPad3, iPad4, Google 10" and now countless other tiny tablets coming out with Retina like displays. Also several PC Ultrabooks on the horizon. Its all dollars boys and girls. Me? I got tired of the cheap looking fat bezel of my Air and paid the extra money for the 13" rMBP in February when they closed out the first Generation 13" rMBP (laughably from just 3 months earlier) at $1500.00 for the 256GB.

PraisiX-windows

Wasn't it only 40% better graphics? But yeah,*very nice battery life, I think that is a MAJOR feature.

portishead
If MBA's were retina, won't the battery take a hit?

Probably, but I'd rather have Retina with 7-8 hours, than non retina with 12 hours.

gwsat
Jun 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
Although I think the bump in battery life in the new MBAs is impressive, it's not quite enough to convince me to give up on my current 2010 13 inch MBA, which still has almost 5 months of Applecare coverage remaining. I think for me the percentage call is to see what the options are in November, after my Applecare coverage expires.

QCassidy352
Jun 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
4-5 hours more battery, 40% better graphics? Sign me up. That's all I wanted. The rest of it is just icing on the cake.

----------

Probably, but I'd rather have Retina with 7-8 hours, than non retina with 12 hours.

Sounds like the rmbp 13" is perfect for you. I'd never give up 1/3 of my battery life for a sharper screen.

sofakng
Jun 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
Just ordered 11" upgraded to i7 and 8 GB RAM.

Can't wait!!!

It's also nice to see these have the HD Graphics 5000 instead of the 4400 or 4600.

tmoney468
Jun 10, 2013, 02:14 PM
When is the Retina MBP going to get Haswell, then?

jamesryanbell
Jun 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
When is the Retina MBP going to get Haswell, then?

No one knows. Fall?

MacBird
Jun 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
I was really hoping for an IPS display, all the other new features don't make a big difference to me, too bad.

pscl
Jun 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
im very dissapointed.

cant believe that they dont update their "flagship" pro-line to haswell.

thats really really dissapointing.

i got an MBA late 11. but come on... battery life and still dualcore? thats all after 2 years of "innovation".

hope they`ll update the 13" rmbp soon.

Ingot
Jun 10, 2013, 02:20 PM
Just bought the 11 inch, 8gb ram and 256 gb flash. Education pricing of course. Can't wait for Mavericks to hit it...

Chupa Chupa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:20 PM
Hmm. Stock RAM still 4GB. Is it me or is that just silly? OS X will eat that up in no time.

iMerik
Jun 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
I don't mind it not having Retina, but I was hoping for a smaller bezel and maybe other slight visual changes. Still might sell my mid-2011 decked out iMac and go mobile with one of these... just wishing the grey/silver bezel didn't seem so apparent.

Michael Scrip
Since Bootcamp/Windows already has a battery penalty... I wonder how much this will improve?

neoelectronaut
So are there any differences between the previous models and these other than processor?

For example, is the $1299 model the same storage and whatnot as before?

dampfnudel
Jun 10, 2013, 02:22 PM
Looks like we'll have to wait until next year for a screen update for the MBA. One year away from MBA perfection (great battery life, great looking display). Oh well, more cash available for the next iPhone, iPad 5, iPad mini 2, PS4, etc.

Ingot
Jun 10, 2013, 02:22 PM

Thank you. I just need a secondary unit and this MBA will do just fine. I'm not worrying about retina screen.

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
It's all hype until the analysis proves it. All Haswell chips are getting battery life increases on top of a higher screen resolution that other companies have made.

yes - it goes without saying that we are working under the assumption that they're not grossly misrepresenting their technology.

nope7308
Jun 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
Software is important, but if Apple doesn't pick up the pace with hardware development, they'll be down the toilet in less than 5 years. Extending battery life with no other measurable improvements isn't innovation, it's doing the bare minimum.

jdechko
Jun 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
My thoughts exactly, I can't really see someone not being able to charge their MBA within even 7 hours let alone 12 and on that point, who would be using the MBA for over 7 hours without being anywhere near a plug socket.

People on Airplanes, maybe?

Not only that, but sometimes, even though there's a plug around, it's just not convenient to plug it up.

For people that do work outside of the house, the impact of this is huge.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
im very dissapointed.

cant believe that they dont update their "flagship" pro-line to haswell.

MBA most benefits from Haswell because its the most portable of the portable Macs. Also MBAs are a campus fav and Apple is gearing up for back to school, esp. entering freshmen buying now with their HS graduation gift money.

The MBPs will be coming sooner rather than later I suspect -- probably alongside the new iMacs next month, but before the summer ends I suspect.

paulloewen
Jun 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
Is it just me, or is this the smallest leap in price from one size to the next? 11" to 13" is only $100 difference. Compare to rMBP difference around $700. That's impressive, since it's usually price that holds me back from getting the size up!

Chupa Chupa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:30 PM

Lots of people. Students -- not all classrooms have plugs @ desk. Travelers -- airports only have so many plugs. Coffee Shop customers -- same as previous -- limited plugs. Also a lot of people are on the go, go, go which is why they have an MBA in the first place (it's light but powerful). They might be near a plug but don't have time to stop and charge.

Tharius
did they post a back to school summer sale?

jonnysods
No MBP love?

dugbug
Jun 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Is it just me, or is this the smallest leap in price from one size to the next? 11" to 13" is only $100 difference. Compare to rMBP difference around $700. That's impressive, since it's usually price that holds me back from getting the size up!

You can't go wrong with the 13". A fantastic machine.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:33 PM
Software is important, but if Apple doesn't pick up the pace with hardware development, they'll be down the toilet in less than 5 years. Extending battery life with no other measurable improvements isn't innovation, it's doing the bare minimum.

40% faster graphics isn't chicken feed. Most MBA users are not looking for cutting edge. But also I don't know of any other company that makes a total package laptop like Apple. I think there is much hyperbole in your post. Remember Macs -- all Macs combined -- are 12% of Apple's revenue.

r6mile
Jun 10, 2013, 02:33 PM
Am I the only one to have noticed that the new MBAs come with a 1.3Ghz processor, down from 1.7Ghz previously? The Turbo Boost is also down from 2.8 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz. Does anybody think this going to result in a drop in CPU performance?

My 2010 MBP died 2 months ago. I am thinking of the MBA because, especially now that the new model has dropped in price, it is over £200 cheaper than the rMBP - only difference being the retina screen (which I dont really need) and a slightly faster CPU. And I need a laptop ASAP, and this has just been updated. But if the new CPU is slower, I may have to think twice...

gorskiegangsta
Jun 10, 2013, 02:35 PM

See now, you're being way too reasonable. No unicorns or fairy dust = worst Macbook release ever!! Everyone sell sell sell Apple stock!!! #appleisdoomed

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DonRivella
Jun 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
Excellent updates - all somewhat expected, but nearly double the battery life is great. What is not great is coming up with crappy marketing terms like 'All-Day' battery life - on a busy day not even 12 hours will cover all day. This marketing hype is really grating on my nerves.

JarScott
Jun 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
Okay great, new super fast MacBook Airs. But why weren't the MacBook Pros updated? Seems totally silly. There's no even a price decrease or a silent update. Nothing. It's not good to have the MacBook Air running the latest hardware whilst leaving the MacBook Pro behind.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
Am I the only one to have noticed that the new MBAs come with a 1.3Ghz processor, down from 1.7Ghz previously? The Turbo Boost is also down from 2.8 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz. Does anybody think this going to result in a drop in CPU performance?

My 2010 MBP died 2 months ago. I am thinking of the MBA because, especially now that the new model has dropped in price, it is over £200 cheaper than the rMBP - only difference being the retina screen (which I dont really need) and a slightly faster CPU. And I need a laptop ASAP, and this has just been updated. But if the new CPU is slower, I may have to think twice...

Clock speeds don't tell the whole story when it comes to modern CPUs. Haswell (4th gen Intel Core) processors offer increased CPU and iGPU performance over the last gen Ivy Bridge. I, personally, wouldn't worry about it.

portishead
Jun 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds like the rmbp 13" is perfect for you. I'd never give up 1/3 of my battery life for a sharper screen.

I like the smaller size of the air for portability. I already have a 15" rMBP.

KPOM
Jun 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
do you think there will be a BTO to upgrade the display to 1080p. This is very sad if it is still the old display resolutions. That is like so ancient by today's terms.

No.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html

My guess is that they are waiting a year until they can give it the "Retina" treatment.

mkbalusa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:42 PM
This is ridiculous, very minor upgrades to Air!! Was hoping to see the Haswell on MBP especially the 13"...no where to be seen:confused:

.Asa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:43 PM

I was about to say the same thing. 1.3 ghz is about the same clock speed as an iPhone.

okwhatev
Jun 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
Okay great, new super fast MacBook Airs. But why weren't the MacBook Pros updated? Seems totally silly. There's no even a price decrease or a silent update. Nothing. It's not good to have the MacBook Air running the latest hardware whilst leaving the MacBook Pro behind.

seriously!!! WTF Apple??? Where are your Macbook Pro Retina haswell updates?!! I need to replace my cracked screen laptop like YESTERDAY. I've been waiting for this date for over a month and now you update the stupid airs but not the pro line? you show the new mac pro, but even that's coming soon?!! this is a developer conference. how about releasing a new professional mac laptop to go with it??!? (in eric cartman voice): god dammit I am so pissed off!!!

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
Twice the graphics power I don't think so and who is going to be using that 1GBps wireless connection anytime soon?
All users of AirDrop (Finder), iTunes, iDevices. Millions of people.

No progress is no solution.

urtho
Jun 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
I would have loved for them to announce 1920x1200 for screen resolution. I can live with the 1440x900, at least it is better than the 1280x800 on the MBPs. Not entirely sold on needing a new machine just yet though. I may wait for the rMBPs to drop and think about it then.

extradryny

I'll take the battery life over the retina display any day. Great design decision.

Chub
I was about to say the same thing. 1.3 ghz is about the same clock speed as an iPhone.

When I looked at the store page I suddenly thought I don't remember the previous MBA ever having a 1.3GHz CPU. At the same time I really don't think it's enough, okay it turbos but it's still only a dual core so in my opinion it's relatively weak. Then again the IGP improvements will be welcomed by many.

thekeyring
Jun 10, 2013, 02:49 PM
Currently have a cMBP, 13" and I'm deffo going to upgrade to one of these new Airs. Faster flash storage, I'll make sure the RAMs maxed out and now a battery life that can compete with (and thanks to OS X 10.9 - replace) my iPad.

KPOM
Jun 10, 2013, 02:49 PM

It's probably going to get a silent update in a month or two when the processors become available in greater quantities. Haswell was just officially announced last week.

Yamcha
Jun 10, 2013, 02:50 PM

It should still be faster, clock speed's means nothing these days..

macgeek88
I'm perfectly happy with the current MBA I have now. It's the most recent one next to this. If it had retina and a new redesign I'd consider it but it's just not enough for me to upgrade.

FoxyKaye
Well, as a consultant who just purchased a fully maxed-out 13" MBA today, I'll offer the following:

* Client sites mean moving from room to room, and building to building - not all rooms have outlets, and not all outlets are convenient.

* Clients like to sometimes have "working lunches" - also with minimal opportunity to plug in and recharge a laptop.

* My longest on-site day was about 11 hours, and keeping my current (non-Mac business) laptop alive was definitely an issue.

* Oh, and if you're at a conference that can go from 8am to the end of the regular work day, plus business meetings at dining establishments thereafter until 10pm, forget about getting to plug in for very long at all.

So, the portability factor with the MBA and the improvements in processor/graphics/flash storage speed are sufficient enough for me - I'm not doing serious photo editing or video work, but taking notes and doing Win8 with Parallels.

That said, I was a little disappointed that there was no 16GB BTO RAM option.

AppleMark
Jun 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
Still not tempted.

HurryKayne
Jun 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
Darn ...

Exactly ..why no Haswell MAC BOOK PRO?

extradryny
Jun 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
The only thing stopping me from upgrading my July 2011 MBA is the lack of a larger hard drive option. 512 just isn't quite big enough to change how I use the machine -- specifically, my iTunes library would still have to sit on an external hard drive, which makes 256 plenty.

Other than that, bravo!

Penn Jennings
Jun 10, 2013, 02:54 PM

40% improvement in graphics is not even close to twice (Unless I missed something). I don't recall any mention of storage or CPU performance.

Seriously, what percent of people need a 12 hour battery?

Bregalad
Jun 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
MBA most benefits from Haswell because its the most portable of the portable Macs. Also MBAs are a campus fav and Apple is gearing up for back to school, esp. entering freshmen buying now with their HS graduation gift money.

The MBPs will be coming sooner rather than later I suspect -- probably alongside the new iMacs next month, but before the summer ends I suspect.

I expect rMBPs this summer, but wouldn't count on seeing iMacs or minis until fall.

The rMBPs will likely become the only MBPs this summer. By keeping RAM and SSD sizes at their current levels Apple should be able to bring the price of retina models down enough that customers won't miss the older, lower priced MBPs. At the 15" size I expect to see a dramatic price drop in the entry level model because Apple will be able to choose a Haswell processor with Iris 5200 graphics and ditch the need for a discrete GPU. Higher priced models can pair a high performance discrete GPU with a Haswell chip containing less capable graphics.

The Mac mini would be next to gain from Haswell because it also uses integrated GPU. The electricity savings, while nice, aren't as big a selling point as longer battery life. The mini occupies a low profile position so I will probably be a quiet release in the fall.

The iMac gains almost nothing from Haswell except electricity savings. The CPU is slightly faster, but not enough that the average user would even notice. The changes coming in Mavericks will make a much bigger difference to the user experience than a 5% faster CPU.

I also believe that Apple will hold back a new iMac until they can have a 256GB SSD or Fusion drive at the entry level price. Again, such a change would make a much bigger difference to the user experience than a slightly faster CPU or reduced electricity bill.

I expect the new iMac to be released at the same time as the re-designed Mac Pro and new 4K Thunderbolt display. I expect both to feature Thunderbolt 2.

Kavier
Jun 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
Was really hoping for Retina display this time around but I guess I'll hold onto my MBP

r6mile
Jun 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
So I am seriously thinking of this new 13" MBA. I need a laptop like now (definitely cannot wait until an rMBP update in the autumn), and with the 8GB RAM upgrade, it is only at £884.40 with the HE discount.

This is compared to the non-Haswell 13 rMBP at £1074.00, and about £985 for the non-Haswell cMBP (£860 + ~125 for 120 GB SSD and 8GB RAM from Amazon).

I am going to wait until the Back to School promotion, which should be very very soon, so I can get my £70 iTunes voucher. I am slightly concerned about the 1.3 Ghz CPU, but there is Turoas said previously clock speeds do not tell the whole story, and I highly doubt Apple would have put slower CPUs (even if improving battery life). I don't think, given my expected light usage, that a £103.20 upgrade to a 1.7Ghz i7 is justifiable.

The 40% GPU bump is definitely more important. I'm excited!

rodriguise
Jun 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
Wasn't it only 40% better graphics? But yeah,*very nice battery life, I think that is a MAJOR feature.

Battery is nice, but realistically relatively few people are away from power for more than 8 hours. Apple didn't do anything for that update it came free with the new processor. All updates were inline with expectations, hence this was a minor update.

macdude3
Jun 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
If I recall correctly, the Apple had issues with producing the screen for the rMBP. I suppose Apple likes to be able to release their computers instantly when they are announced so maybe this was the reason behind not releasing it today. I suppose they will just silently update it as I don't see them doing an entire conference just for them and I don't see computers fitting in very well with what they are supposedly releasing later this year. Hoping we won't have to wait more than a month or two.

maxosx
Jun 10, 2013, 03:02 PM

That's why collapsing ones expectation of Apple is a good idea.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
I expect rMBPs this summer, but wouldn't count on seeing iMacs or minis until fall.

Well I hope you are right -- have read of iMac shortages on other sights believed to be due to imminent update. But I have a late 2012 iMac now I'm using as a fill-in until the new MP ships so the longer the late 2012 remains the current model the better for resale.

TrollToddington
Jun 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
I expect the new iMac to be released at the same time as the re-designed Mac Pro and new 4K Thunderbolt display. I expect both to feature Thunderbolt 2.

From Apple MacBook Air Literature:

Intel HD Graphics 5000
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Which means your MBA won't be able to drive an external 4K Thunderbolt display. My bet is that the new Thunderbolt display will be like the present one, with USB 3.0 and an iMac like thin body.

KPOM
Jun 10, 2013, 03:10 PM
So does that mean there will be no new macbook pro retina because they are finished with all of the hardware?

Not today. But that could mean they are just waiting for the quad-core Haswell chips to become available.

mark88
Jun 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
My late 2010 MBA, had a 1.8ghz core 2 duo, 4gb RAMM AND 128GB flash storage.

At the same price point today, I get a 1.3ghz Dual Core i5, 4GB Ramm, 128GB Flash drive.

Yea I get it's faster and has more batter life and more ports but it's doesn't seem like much progress in nearly 3 years.

ZestyOne
Jun 10, 2013, 03:16 PM

The rMBPs will likely become the only MBPs this summer. By keeping RAM and SSD sizes at their current levels Apple should be able to bring the price of retina models down enough that customers won't miss the older, lower priced MBPs. At the 15" size I expect to see a dramatic price drop in the entry level model because Apple will be able to choose a Haswell processor with Iris 5200 graphics and ditch the need for a discrete GPU. Higher priced models can pair a high performance discrete GPU with a Haswell chip containing less capable graphics.

The Mac mini would be next to gain from Haswell because it also uses integrated GPU. The electricity savings, while nice, aren't as big a selling point as longer battery life. The mini occupies a low profile position so I will probably be a quiet release in the fall.

The iMac gains almost nothing from Haswell except electricity savings. The CPU is slightly faster, but not enough that the average user would even notice. The changes coming in Mavericks will make a much bigger difference to the user experience than a 5% faster CPU.

I also believe that Apple will hold back a new iMac until they can have a 256GB SSD or Fusion drive at the entry level price. Again, such a change would make a much bigger difference to the user experience than a slightly faster CPU or reduced electricity bill.

This may be a silly question, but do you think the 15" Retina MBP will only receive BUMPS in hardware and nothing decreased? I'm not really familiar with mac releases but i want to make sure they're not adding less RAM or something just to make it more 'portable'

I have a 17" MBP that is fully maxed out because I use it on my desk with a cinema display, i want to pay more for the best hardware out there. and i really like the retina for the MBP when im programming on the go (for the 15" retina model)

baller1308
Jun 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hmm. Stock RAM still 4GB. Is it me or is that just silly? OS X will eat that up in no time.

Well, for what I use my machine for, 4GB is plenty. With the new OS X, memory management should be better.

At the same price point today, I get a 1.3ghz Dual Core i5, 4GB Ramm, 128GB Flash drive.

Yea I get it's faster and has more batter life and more ports but it's doesn't seem like much progress in nearly 3 years.

The numbers might not look like much, but in terms of performance there's been a definite upgrade. The run faster, cooler, more efficient, and is $300 cheaper compared on release dates.

If you're happy with what you have I see no reason to upgrade.

viccles
Jun 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
Looks like I hold onto my rMBP for longer. Would have pulled the plug if the air had a retina screen

KPOM
Jun 10, 2013, 03:30 PM

It's night and day. Remember, at $999 3 years ago, it had only 64GB of Flash storage and 2GB of RAM. Now it has a processor 4 generations more advanced (think of it like a 4GHz Core 2 Duo), lasts twice as long, has twice the storage (and faster to boot), Thunderbolt, and USB 3.0.

The resolution and form factor haven't changed. I don't expect them to until Retina becomes feasible in a $999 Mac.

iMatt7
Jun 10, 2013, 03:33 PM
Anxious to see the benchmarks on these new ones compared to the previous models. I think some of you guys are correct about the clock speeds not mattering too much, but it's still slightly concerning.

nope7308
Jun 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised anyone is excited by this MBA refresh...

- Who really needs more than 7 hours of battery life? Weak selling point.
- Graphics performance has been brought up to par, hardly impressive.
- Reduced cost, but Apple overcharges for SSD storage in the first place.
- New wifi standard, but everyone will be offering this.
- Same poor quality screen. Same bundled OS.
- Same dated bezel, no design changes/tweaks whatsoever.

In other words, all technical improvements can be attributed to the Haswell processor, meaning Apple didn't do much "innovating" on this refresh.

I suspect they'll revamp their notebook line next month. If not, this company is sinking faster than I suspected.

pubwvj
Jun 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
11", 13", too small. Size matters, despite what your friends told you. I want a bigger one. Retina displays don't make up for it either. Let's go 15" or better 17".

While I like the minimalism of the Airbooks I'll hold off for a MacBook Pro and prefer one with the full complement of I/O ports. I've got peripherals I need to connect with in addition to wanting a screen I can read.

KPOM
Jun 10, 2013, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised anyone is excited by this MBA refresh...

- Who really needs more than 7 hours of battery life? Weak selling point.
- Reduced cost, but Apple overcharges for SSD storage in the first place.
- New wifi standard, but everyone will be offering this.
- Same poor quality screen. Same bundled OS.
- Same dated bezel, no design changes/tweaks whatsoever.

In other words, all technical improvements can be attributed to the Haswell processor, meaning Apple didn't do much "innovating" on this refresh.

I suspect they'll revamp their notebook line next month. If not, this company is sinking faster than I suspected.

It's a spec bump. If history is any guide they will do a radical redesign next year or 2015 when it becomes commercially feasible for them to sell an 11.6" Retina Display notebook for $999. They tend to keep a chassis about 4 years. The current one was released in late 2010. The rMBP spec bumps will probably come later in the year. Hopefully the 13" rMBP gets a quad-core Haswell chip.

The Air is their entry level notebook now. Sure, I'd like a Retina Display, but given that they had to drop the price of the rMBP I'm not surprised they didn't cram it into today's MacBook Air. Going to 1600x900 or 1650x1080 doesn't realy do much given Apple's "quadruple or nothing" approach to resolution bumps. In the meantime, I'll stick with my 13" rMBP for now. If they can find a way to reduce the weight of that one or stick a quad-core in it, I might give Haswell a look.

Digital Dude
Jun 10, 2013, 03:51 PM
Well, I guess if anything good came from today's announcements, Apple saved me a lot of money today. Now that I see the roadmap of the Mac Pro and the modest improvements to the MA, I'm totally rethinking my computing needs.

I keep flipping through the posts' in this thread and I keep changing my mind as to whether to buy the 13 inch MacBook Air with the i7. My only problem is is that I don't have access to look at a MacBook Air display to see if it actually sucks as many of you have stated. If it's good enough then it may not be a bad choice for my international travels where battery life is a huge factor! If it can run Aperture3 and Lightroom5 then I'm good.

gctwnl
Jun 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Darn ...
No retina MacBook Pro updateYes, too bad. I was hoping for a 13.3" MBP Retina with enough power to actually drive that display smoothly.

Oh well, I'll limp along with my 2009 MBA (SSD, 2.13GHz, separate NVidia Graphics but only 2GB RAM, which kills it for heavy use) until that happens. Just use it one-serious-app-at-a-time.

Haifisch
Jun 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Apple could have cured Alzheimer's and some of you would still call that a minor achievement.

I don't blame them for not stuffing a retina in there. It would cannibalize sales of the 13' rMBP.

Mike Valmike
Jun 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Darn ...

Oh FFS... you got a refresh in March... here we are 90 days out, will the waiting never end? I'm sure you guys are jealous of all those Mac Pro desktop users who get updated all the time, including today

MatthewStorm
Jun 10, 2013, 04:01 PM
I'm a little confused. The new Air has Haswell. Has the MBP been updated as well?

jdechko
Jun 10, 2013, 04:05 PM

Comparing clock speeds is only valid when comparing two processors from the same manufacturer in the same generation. Comparing clock speeds for 2 different architectures (Intel Core vs ARM) is less than useless as it detracts from the reality of the situation.

When I looked at the store page I suddenly thought I don't remember the previous MBA ever having a 1.3GHz CPU. At the same time I really don't think it's enough, okay it turbos but it's still only a dual core so in my opinion it's relatively weak. Then again the IGP improvements will be welcomed by many.

It will be plenty fast enough. Consider the past. a 2GHz Core2Duo might only be running at 10% utilization, but sucking power like nobody's business. Not only that, but when you hit 100% on both cores, that was it.

Now we are running a much slower base clock speed that sips power while efficiently decoding HD video, browsing the web and writing your term paper. This gives us huge gains in battery life. But when you run that intensive game, the chip is able to ramp up to 2.6 GHz (DC) or 2.9 (SC). The chip can tap into reserved power (temporarily self-overclock).

This is something that Intel may have a problem with in their marketing. Years of shouting about faster clock speeds are coming back to bite them in the ass. On the surface it seems like the C2D is faster (2.0 vs 1.3), but in reality it's more like 2.0 vs 2.6 (and this doesn't take into account the hyperthreading that's built in to the new chips).

PeterJP
Jun 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
- Who really needs more than 7 hours of battery life? Weak selling point

It would seem like you, personally, don't need this. Good ! Other laptops (like the 1 hour gaming laptops) are there to please you.

Good for you that you've identified gaming laptops to be what you want. By the way, what are you doing in a discussion on ultraportables ? Did you expect Apple to put a dgpu into an air all of a sudden ?

What some people forget is that new hardware features, like the new interrupt 'bundling' schemes in Haswell, require good software support to work well. Sure, Apple is piggybacking on Intel's war against ARM. But they're also doing their job of tuning the ultimate portable to the current hardware trends. 9 hours of battery, wifi ac and a decently fast processor+ssd in something that weighs the same as my last pda (admittedly a big one) ? I don't see how people could not be enthousiastic about this. Except if they were confusing different types of laptops, of course.

trip1ex
Jun 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
Battery is nice, but realistically relatively few people are away from power for more than 8 hours. Apple didn't do anything for that update it came free with the new processor. All updates were inline with expectations, hence this was a minor update.

On the contrary battery life is a huge deal. No one wants to have to tether up to an outlet during the day. That's the whole point of a laptop.

viccles
Jun 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
Hopefully they will put the haswell in the rmbp models soon

Digital Dude
Jun 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
Oh FFS... you got a refresh in March... here we are 90 days out, will the waiting never end? I'm sure you guys are jealous of all those Mac Pro desktop users who get updated all the time, including today

Yeah right! I'm still running my 2009 Mac Pro and frankly, it still does a decent job with current software titles. I suspect the new MBA would run circles around it by today's standards. As much as I would jump all over the 'new' MBP I'm not sure I would ever use it to than more 25% of its potential.

ohbrilliance
Jun 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
Also a lot of people are on the go, go, go which is why they have an MBA in the first place (it's light but powerful). They might be near a plug but don't have time to stop and charge.
Not to forget you won't need to carry the charger with you so often. In fact, it sounds like you can safely use a MBA all day every day without needing to bring the charger with you. 12 hours on the web should safely translate to 8-9 hours of more demanding usage.

trip1ex
Jun 10, 2013, 04:10 PM
Apple could have cured Alzheimer's and some of you would still call that a minor achievement.

I don't blame them for not stuffing a retina in there. It would cannibalize sales of the 13' rMBP.

I don't think that is why they don't have Retina in the MBA. I think it is because they can't technically do Retina in that slim of a form factor. Not yet anyway.

Tora Shin
Jun 10, 2013, 04:10 PM
Why the f... so many years have passed and apple does not upgrade Time Machine/airport to full router/modem.... why????? :mad:

But they did update airport & time machine:
http://www.apple.com/uk/compare-wifi-models/

jjmcpherson
Jun 10, 2013, 04:13 PM
I just got off the phone with my local Apple Store. They said they'll have in stock in the morning of June 12.

kaellar
Jun 10, 2013, 04:14 PM
so dissapointed with not having an IPS panel (even with the same resolution) in the MBA's for the next year.. looks like it'll end up with the Retina crap next year, that most MBA users really don't need and that'll suck the battery life and reduce the responsivenese of the system.

all Apple did for the new MBA's is throwing Haswell ULT into it (that's what caused a battery life increase), installing a bit faster SSDs and reducing the price by 100$. like Schiller said, there is so much engineering, development and awesomeness behind it..

Boyd01
Jun 10, 2013, 04:18 PM
They look fine to me, will be a good choice for someone who doesn't already have a MacBook Air. Not exciting enough to get me to upgrade from my late 2011 13" MBA though. I really haven't had any problem making it through a 12 hour work day with mine, using some sensible battery conservation techniques.

But faster processors and longer battery life are always nice. A retina screen wouldn't interest me. I wonder when we'll start to see the option for a 1TB SSD?

WWDC2013
Jun 10, 2013, 04:20 PM
I know for sure that I will be getting the 13" MBA with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. But, how big of a difference is the Intel i5 vs i7? Is it worth the additional $150?

AutoUnion39
Jun 10, 2013, 04:21 PM
Damn, nice work on the battery life Apple.

Maybe I should have waited for Haswell on my rMBP.

Looks like it's time to upgrade my MBA :)

pinchez
Jun 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
Disappointed tbh, I had a 2012 11" MBA 8GB 256SD but sold it on after a few months when I realized it wasn't as nice as the 2010 13" MacBook Pro it replaced. it didn't really feel any faster, I hated the thick bezzle and overall quality wasn't as nice as the Pro.

I ended up buying a cheap but very usable Asus Vivobook to tied me over till Apple release a Air or Pro with better screen, CPU and GPU etc.

Looks like I'm still waiting!

Woyzeck
Jun 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
I just pulled the trigger as I need a new notebook now. However I'll probably sell it once the new rMBP is released.

What really sucks for me is the 8GB RAM limit and the bad display. C'mon Apple, 4 GB stock RAM in 2013 is a joke.

Did Apple actually change anything on these new MBAs that's not caused by Intel's innovation ?

mj1108
Jun 10, 2013, 04:34 PM
Ordered! Replacing my stolen 2011 13" MBA.

1.7ghz/8gigs of ram/128 gig hd

Cannot wait! :)

bagelche
Jun 10, 2013, 04:44 PM

Try going to a conference where you have to battle for the few seats near outlets, spend all day taking notes/presenting and so on. The extended battery life is fantastic!

MH01
Jun 10, 2013, 04:48 PM
Was the outgoing CPU not a 1.8? These are 1.3 are they not?

jdechko
Jun 10, 2013, 04:49 PM
Ordered! Replacing my stolen 2011 13" MBA.

1.7ghz/8gigs of ram/128 gig hd

Cannot wait! :)

Congrats!

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised that Apple offered that configuration. It used to be that the CPU could only be upgraded on the 'improved storage' version. At least I think on the previous 11, you could upgrade the CPU on the 128GB version, but not on the 64GB one.

In any case, hooray for more options.

Howdee
Jun 10, 2013, 04:55 PM

Simple, they know they have a ton of suckers paying a premium for everything else.
They'll upgrade things if/when they see sales slow down, then they'll amp up other products and let other lag.

It's the Apple way.

bit density
Jun 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
Keeping my 2010 13 Air, Haswell running hotter than Ivy, I prefer the Cool-C2D!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/06/haswell-heat/1

For overclocked machines. This article likely has nothing to do with the mac air models at all. Unless you somehow overclock your macbook air. The Intel 5000 is likely going to be a huge increase for games that are only marginally ok now.

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 04:57 PM

people for whom the portability of an ultralight was the primary reason that the MBA peaked their interest in the first place?

----------

that's silly, or at best hyperbole.

bit density
Jun 10, 2013, 05:06 PM

I don't think so... The min build in 2010 was 2g of ram and a 64g storage. 4 gig and 128g added a significant percentage in price. The value is much higher, and the graphics performance KILLS the 2010 model.

----------

I have 4 gigs, never run out of memory, and Mavericks is supposed to use LESS memory at the system level. I have way more use for more battery and more hard drive.

iLilana
Jun 10, 2013, 05:06 PM
would sell my 2012 MBA that I just bought in a second to upgrade. SSD prices look like they are dropping in the Airs. Mind you it would be nice to get a 512mb upgrade for prices less than the owc prices.

tuna9720
Jun 10, 2013, 05:11 PM
can someone explain what is the model number of the processor used in new MBA's?

Speedy2
Jun 10, 2013, 05:16 PM
If I recall correctly, the Apple had issues with producing the screen for the rMBP. I suppose Apple likes to be able to release their computers instantly when they are announced so maybe this was the reason behind not releasing it today. I suppose they will just silently update it as I don't see them doing an entire conference just for them and I don't see computers fitting in very well with what they are supposedly releasing later this year. Hoping we won't have to wait more than a month or two.

THAT is exactly the reason.
The iMac release last year was an utter disaster, and they wanted to avoid that.

RichardF
Jun 10, 2013, 05:21 PM
Well, as a consultant who just purchased a fully maxed-out 13" MBA today, I'll offer the following:

* Client sites mean moving from room to room, and building to building - not all rooms have outlets, and not all outlets are convenient.

* Clients like to sometimes have "working lunches" - also with minimal opportunity to plug in and recharge a laptop.

* My longest on-site day was about 11 hours, and keeping my current (non-Mac business) laptop alive was definitely an issue.

* Oh, and if you're at a conference that can go from 8am to the end of the regular work day, plus business meetings at dining establishments thereafter until 10pm, forget about getting to plug in for very long at all.

So, the portability factor with the MBA and the improvements in processor/graphics/flash storage speed are sufficient enough for me - I'm not doing serious photo editing or video work, but taking notes and doing Win8 with Parallels.

That said, I was a little disappointed that there was no 16GB BTO RAM option.

I can relate to this.

But what would you need 16GB of RAM for?

It wasn't long ago, 4GB seemed like a lot and Mac OS X hasn't required more RAM to function.

Edit: oh and question for everyone: the better battery life is with the current build of Mac OS X? Didn't Mavericks also boast a better battery life performance on stage?

codehead
Jun 10, 2013, 05:27 PM
People on Airplanes, maybe?

Not only that, but sometimes, even though there's a plug around, it's just not convenient to plug it up.

For people that do work outside of the house, the impact of this is huge.

Thank you!! Not just on airplanes-- most of the airports I've been in recently still don't have convenient plugs if they even have them at all!!

42streetsdown
Jun 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
I wonder if the new Intel 5000 graphics will actually have OpenCL support. Still waiting for Apple to update the Intel HD 4000 driver to include OpenCL support. Maybe with this new OS X upgrade they'll bring it.

blabliblu
Jun 10, 2013, 05:45 PM
Wow that was the most disappointing announcement.

Just new Haswell (low-range btw) processor and GPU and so better battery life, but same SSD size, same screen resolution, same design/size, same RAM...

What a letdown, especially for the SSD and RAM. I'm sorry but 128Go/4GB for a >$1000 13" laptop is super weak.

Deedlez
Jun 10, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mmmmm, MacBook Air. I've been happy with my 2011 Air but each upgrade announcement for the Airs gets me wondering about getting a replacement.

greenythebeast
Jun 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
If anyone cares the processor options will be the i5-4250U as standard and the i7-4650U as the upgrade.

Lindberg
Jun 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
Intel has done a fine job in this update.

Apple has has done nothing - at all!

racer1441
Jun 10, 2013, 06:23 PM

Don't let facts get in the way of a good crybaby fit.

Eidorian
Jun 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
Only 8 GB of RAM is too hard to swallow.

festus
Jun 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
I was hoping for an announcement of a new MacBook Pro with retina screen AND optical drive. :(

CasualMacFan
Jun 10, 2013, 06:55 PM
This actually brings up quite a few questions (well, rather, a long series of related questions ;)). Please bear with me; I'm new here. :o

So, does this mean that there won't be any updates for the MacBook Pro (non-Retina, mind you)? If there will be, will they come out any time soon? I thought I read somewhere in the comments thread for this article that potential updates for the MBP would be more "silent," for lack of a better way of explaining it. Furthermore, will the next MBA operate on the new OS that was introduced today, or...? Going back to the possibility of "silent" updates for MBP, does that mean that these "new" MBP's would come with this new OS? In the case of this [these] new update[s], when would they be released to the public? I think I read that the new MBA is already available for purchase? So, then, what would that mean for a possible new model of the MBP?

Sorry, I know those are a lot of questions. I'm just kinda confused about all of this. :confused: :(

l3it3r
Jun 10, 2013, 06:58 PM
Upgraded as soon as the store went live (had it refreshing the last 5 or 10 minutes of the keynote).
Got the 13" w/i7, 8GB of RAM and the 512GB SSD :p:apple:

SBlue1
Jun 10, 2013, 07:09 PM
wow, wish this was available when I was about to decide what macbook to buy. big improvement for the air!

captain kaos
Jun 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
Anyone that says this is not a good update is on crack! 12 hour battery life! As mentioned last week, these new CPUs have given us double the battery life!

Elwe
Jun 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
Last year, when received some Retina news/models, some people (including myself) tried to temper people's expectations with some models for at least 2013. Including the Airs.

If you look at the components out there (screens, batteries, chipsets, and chasses), many of us could simply see no possible way to put a Retina-type screen in the Airs in 2013. Perhaps not even 2014. There is simply no way to do it . . . unless the Airs become an IOS device (more on that below).

Most foresaw the Hawell update (Intel leaks/telegraphs certain things pretty well). I take battery tests with a grain of salt, but presumably Apple ran their tests with pre-production hardware and current hardware using the same parameters and same OS. Perhaps some of the battery life boost is OS X Mavericks. But most of it seems to be Haswell, and Intel should be roundly thanked. This alone is a justifiable update if you have the first (definitely) or perhaps second generation Airs. But the SSD is somewhat faster, and the graphics (again, thanks to Intel). I think this is a reasonable current product refresh. I do not like the way that option increases balloon the price (the faster cpu, double the ram, the bigger SSDs) into the "Pro" line territory, but that was true yesterday.

I think Apple is doing the following:

1) Existing Macbook Pros will die on the vine. No updates at all (excepting the OS it ships with, eventually). Maybe a price drop, but more likely just a phase out. Completely gone (with maybe educational units as the exception) for the WWDC or fall releases.

2) Macbook Pros (with Retina). Who knows if they will drop the Retina-in-the-name nomenclature by then. But they should have Haswell ready for them this year. I would love for them to make quad core standard across the whole line (even 13"), but I do not think we are that lucky (and lots of people have no need for it). Given what we just saw of the Mac Pro, I think they were waiting for Thunderbolt 2 (and maybe a chassis redesign on the 13"). I think Anand (anandtech.com) was speculating a drop of the discrete graphics card in the 15", but I cannot see how they can do that yet (an option, maybe--but a full drop? The HD 5x00 options do not seem to be that good yet). For just the OS+Retina+light gaming, maybe. But I think a discrete option will remain for the 15". With the single device throughput limits being raised with Thunderbolt 2, it would make sense if they waited. Plus Intel has not released it whole Haswell line for laptops yet. Maybe ones of those is one of the better performance Iris-based options (with higher TDPs, even--that seems to be what Anand thinks).

3) Macbook Airs. I think the the Airs (as we know them) will eventually die on the vine as is. Perhaps toward the end of 2014 the technology will be at a place where it would be feasible, but . . . I am just not seeing it right now. They would have to raise the price (at least a couple hundred dollars; the price difference is more than that for now). The would have to "back away" from some of the battery life discussion they were having today. And/or they would have to change the form factor to something "thicker/bigger". I just have trouble seeing that. Or (and here is my long-term bet) . . .

They get iOS to the point and ARM gets their arch (or Intel gets ATOM or Broadwell) to the point where Macbook Airs run a version of iOS that satisfies a lot more needs. I would actually (eventually) like to see something like that. A proper file system is just not going to happen (both Apple and Google have made that clear, as well as their reasoning, though I still do not like it). But a lot is about the Apps. They spent a lot of time talking about iWork (online and seamless capability with IOS and OS X, as well as MS Office). Also, did you notice how they spoke up their continuing work on multitasking? If you do something like this, then you really can put in a Retina-type screen at scale. I see the Air as the converged platform that makes sense for a lot of people (less the power users, but clearly that is a sizable market) in the next couple of years. Perhaps even lower price-point than now, but with just as much (or more) battery life as we saw today.

Writergirl7
Jun 10, 2013, 08:24 PM
Hi. I may have missed this part of the discussion but what significance is the lower speed 1.3 GHz processor? Forgive my ignorance but while they have given us a chip upgrade doesn't this slower speed negate a lot of the benefits?

I've been hoping WWDC would help me decide between a MBA plus external monitor and the 21.5" iMac but I am still not sure what to do. An upgraded monitor would have swayed me (even if it was just HD). I'm now wondering if I should reconsider and just get another PC ultrabook. I was thinking of moving over to Mac but now I'm less sure. Some of the PC ultrabooks have a HD or better screen and there are none of those compatibility issues with external monitors.

erstylin
Jun 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
Do you guys know when these new MBAs will be available at best buy?

I am really interested in their accidental coverage. thanks!!

juanmanas
Jun 10, 2013, 09:09 PM

Have you noticed that all those models use complete different OSs? It looks like something to take into account...

Elwe
Jun 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
Hi. I may have missed this part of the discussion but what significance is the lower speed 1.3 GHz processor? Forgive my ignorance but while they have given us a chip upgrade doesn't this slower speed negate a lot of the benefits?

I've been hoping WWDC would help me decide between a MBA plus external monitor and the 21.5" iMac but I am still not sure what to do. An upgraded monitor would have swayed me (even if it was just HD). I'm now wondering if I should reconsider and just get another PC ultrabook. I was thinking of moving over to Mac but now I'm less sure. Some of the PC ultrabooks have a HD or better screen and there are none of those compatibility issues with external monitors.

Just FYI, trying to measure performance in the GHz number alone has been . . . problematic (and a point of a lot of discussion) for some time now. Quite simply, if you want to measure relatively performance for a CPU within a given family of CPUs (say, the current Intel Haswell line for Ultrabooks), using the GHz number alone may be enough information to make a valid comparison. Even that, though, is not the total answer (there is something called cpu cache which can greatly factor in, depending on the applications you run). The further you get away form that cpu family (say last year's model; or two years ago; or an entirely different product line (server line, let's say) or a different manufacturer (AMD or ARM) and it becomes really, really difficult. Sorry if this is pendatic or a little obvious, but I am just guessing at your level of knowledge/ignorance. An imperfect analogy might be trying to measure the "performance" of two automobiles by measuring only the horsepower numbers. But to give you a good answer, you really need to know the rpm level at which those horespower numbers or measure, you need to know the torque generated at what level, you need to know about your transmission, you need to know about your suspension . . .

What might be a better thing to ask is "How quickly can this model do X?" like does this sample workload (encode a movie, or play this game, or whatever) compared to last year's model? Even then, the platform upgrades (SSD upgrades, chipset upgrades, OS upgrades (when they drop Mavericks, which I assume they were testing with but will not release with the new hardware right away) may have something to say about how fast any given load happens. I have access to a base 11" 2012 model (with the only exception to base being the 128GB SSD option). I am hoping to go visit the Apple store in the next couple of days, and run some tests. I am not sure how much they will allow me to do/load, but if you are interested in anything in particular, let me know. People like Anand (anandtech.com) will probably do a much more intensive comparison than I would/could do, so you can also watch for those kinds of updates. Many testers will add things to their tests if you ask them nicely in the comments sections on their postings, and it does not take too much more time.

Given what I have seen from previous chips in this category, what I have seen from a recently released model of a similar Haswell chip, and given what Apple said today about OS X Mavericks, I would guess that this chip (even the lower end i5 model let alone the higher end i7 model) would be ample cpu power for most people for most of the time. It really would.

Given the relative cheapness of quad core cpus (at least in the desktop and server worlds), I personally would like not to buy anything new that does not have at least four physical cores. It just gives me a lot of flexibility for workloads (encoding, lots of background tasks, virtualization, etc). But the simple fact is that the great majority of people are not using their Airs for this purpose. Four threads over two physical cores with an elegant OS seems responsive enough for the majority of people's current workloads, I believe.

WoodNUFC
Jun 10, 2013, 09:19 PM
Having just recently sold my 2008 MBA, I'm very very happy with the announcement of the updated machine. I was tempted to buy a 13" rMBP, but today's announcement has changed that.

12 hour battery life trumps retina display every time for me. I'm just going to wait to see what the back to school sale is going to look like, then I'm purchasing. If I can get 4-5 years out of this MBA like I did the original, I'll be very happy.

b166er
Jun 10, 2013, 09:40 PM
quick question for MBA users... If my primary tasks are recording music (just demos, nothing pro) and editing video (with the need to import from several different cameras) is the MBA a viable option? I was thinking of getting a new Mac in the fall because mine is no longer able to keep up. I like the slim profile of the MBA's, especially since I'll be going from room to room depending on my tasks, but I wasn't sure if just getting an iMac would make more sense.

Any thoughts?

davidhunternyc
Jun 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
Still, no 17 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display... : (

Writergirl7
Jun 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks Elwe. I'm not surprised by your answer regarding chip speed. If I buy an air I intend to use it as my main computer for writing/research (Scrivener/ Scapple / Word) and photography. In the first catagory I am a semi-professional, in the latter very much an amateur - but I would like to grow my skills in this area. I know the MBA isnt ideal for rendering but i like the idea of a computer that can be used at my desk connected to a monitor but also be light and ultra-portable when i need it to be. I know i can't get the best of all worlds in one purchase and I intend to keep whatever computer I get for ~ three years. I would max out the RAM anyway but I don't want to be frustred by processor speed even though the Haswell promises better performance.

Oh and I also want to stream video and watch it on my HD TV. :)

Also you said 1.5 GHz. On the apple store website (Australia) it says 1.3 GHz for the base model...

HardRain
Jun 10, 2013, 10:27 PM
As tempting as a new MacAir is, I can't justify an upgrade from my 2011 one. The battery is great, though I rarely run out of juice, or if I do there is the iPad on hand. Overall I am happy enough with current speeds, so that area also hasn't swayed me.

Not to sound like a broken record and repeating others sentiments, but I think had the screen been upgraded and form factor improved I was ready to upgrade.

Those new to Air's though should feel very lucky to be coming in at this level of power.

thefourthpope
Jun 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
I could watch porn nearly all the way to Dubai!

That is an insane battery life. I can't wait to see this filter down to their handhelds.

coachingguy
Jun 10, 2013, 10:55 PM
Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave...........

tut

Am I the only one who is tired of these kind of comments? It's rude and disrespectful towards not only the current Apple cohort but also to Mr. Jobs (RIP).

In addition, wasn't it made clear that He had seen the road map/new goodies going out about 4 years?

Coachingguy.

calvol
Jun 10, 2013, 11:37 PM

That's why I'm keeping my 2010 13 MBA, flawless, and runs a lot cooler than SB, IB, and Haswell, and still gets 10+ hours of battery life.

hexcalibur
Jun 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
Am I the only one who is tired of these kind of comments?

Coachingguy.

I find it's a useful way for idiots to identify themselves. Anyone reaching for that metaphor is helpfully signalling that they have nothing useful to add to the discussion and can be ignored.

More on topic, I was hoping to hear something about new rMBP specs today, but I was leaning towards a MBA anyway. The lack of info made my decision that much easier.

Miat
Jun 11, 2013, 12:04 AM
My only problem is is that I don't have access to look at a MacBook Air display to see if it actually sucks as many of you have stated.

The screen is not bad, as such, it is just the minimum quality they can get away with, and is rapidly falling behind the screen specs used by other manufacturers'.

It is okay for most uses where colour accuracy, or general screen quality, are not critical.

But pretty disappointing that they have not upgraded it. At the very least they should have introduced a better quality TN screen, like the one in the 13" non-retina MBP.

dnn
Jun 11, 2013, 12:22 AM
quick question for MBA users... If my primary tasks are recording music (just demos, nothing pro) and editing video (with the need to import from several different cameras) is the MBA a viable option? I was thinking of getting a new Mac in the fall because mine is no longer able to keep up. I like the slim profile of the MBA's, especially since I'll be going from room to room depending on my tasks, but I wasn't sure if just getting an iMac would make more sense.

Any thoughts?

Hey there. I'm doing exactly the same things as you.
I'm currently using a 2011 Macbook Air 11", 1.6ghz i5, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD.
I've been successfully running Pro Tools 10, with sessions up to 40 something tracks and editing HD videos in Final Cut Pro X.

Many people are blown away that I'm running Pro Tools 10 on this tiny little computer.

I can feel that I'm pushing the machines limits with these tasks but nevertheless, I have been able to complete some great projects with this tiny computer.

I'm going to upgrade to the new model ASAP so I can run more plugins in Pro Tools without any running out of CPU errors. I've decided I'll stick with the 11" (because I love the size), but I'm going to upgrade to a custom configuration of 256GB SSD, because it's so much better running my projects off the SSD rather than external drives. It really is amazingly fast and the newer drive is supposed to be even faster. That's pretty awesome! With 256GB, I should be able to run all my current projects on the internal drive, then copy them off to an external once I'm done with it.

I'm also going to upgrade the processor to the faster i7 and the RAM to 8GB. If my current machine can already handle my needs, albeit with a little bit of struggle when the sessions start getting large, then this upgrade should do it with ease.

Elwe
Jun 11, 2013, 12:32 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7058/2013-macbook-air-pcie-ssd-and-haswell-ult-inside

Anand posted some more information earlier this evening. It looks like Apple did not just go with a faster SATA stick/drive using the SATA interface; it seems they went with a PCIe-based SSD solution. Nice (this has been happening in the enterprise to get better performance for a little while now). Nice, but I would have thought expensive. Maybe for sticks this big it is not bad (the solutions I have seen are half a TB, a TB, or more). Just under 800MB/s is no joke, and I would have thought more than necessary for this type of machine. But it is nice to have the power if necessary (one can start to think about using it for more of those "power" usages).

Also, he does a cpu comparison (with other modules including the base). It seems that it is right about where last year was (and I do not remember most people complaining, if they were not a "power" user). So they go with a lower-power version, and get the same or close to the same cpu performance. And you can get the better cpu model on any of the configs for $150 it seems.

Anand says he is going to test out the HD 5000 graphics. I am going to try to get ahold of one to test it out, too.

I do not like the way the price balloons into the Pro (with Retina) line-up if you add in the better cpu, additional ram, and bigger SSD. But all in, it is still less expensive than the Pro (with Retina) line. If you do not need four cpu cores and can live without the high resolution screens, a beefier version of this could be quite the little workstation in a great form factor at a . . . reasonable price. And the battery life is really, really tempting . . . not having to plug it in for most of the day is really something (assuming Apple's number hold up).

jdechko
Jun 11, 2013, 12:38 AM
I know the MBA isnt ideal for rendering but i like the idea of a computer that can be used at my desk connected to a monitor but also be light and ultra-portable when i need it to be. I know i can't get the best of all worlds in one purchase and I intend to keep whatever computer I get for ~ three years. I would max out the RAM anyway but I don't want to be frustred by processor speed even though the Haswell promises better performance.

I think you'll be pleased with the performance you get when editing photos. Remember that the 1.3 is just the "base clock" speed that the CPU runs at. It will give good performance when doing most tasks you throw at it: writing, browsing, music & watching movies. But don't forget that the current chips have TurboBoost. When you do complex computing (such as adding filters in Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, etc), the CPU can tap into some extra power and double the clock speed of the cores to plow through the tasks.

You can tell that it's working because the fans will spin up pretty loud, but you should never notice any difference. It's by design.

b166er
Jun 11, 2013, 12:42 AM
Hey there. I'm doing exactly the same things as you.
I'm currently using a 2011 Macbook Air 11", 1.6ghz i5, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD.
I've been successfully running Pro Tools 10, with sessions up to 40 something tracks and editing HD videos in Final Cut Pro X.

Many people are blown away that I'm running Pro Tools 10 on this tiny little computer.

I can feel that I'm pushing the machines limits with these tasks but nevertheless, I have been able to complete some great projects with this tiny computer.

I'm going to upgrade to the new model ASAP so I can run more plugins in Pro Tools without any running out of CPU errors. I've decided I'll stick with the 11" (because I love the size), but I'm going to upgrade to a custom configuration of 256GB SSD, because it's so much better running my projects off the SSD rather than external drives. It really is amazingly fast and the newer drive is supposed to be even faster. That's pretty awesome! With 256GB, I should be able to run all my current projects on the internal drive, then copy them off to an external once I'm done with it.

I'm also going to upgrade the processor to the faster i7 and the RAM to 8GB. If my current machine can already handle my needs, albeit with a little bit of struggle when the sessions start getting large, then this upgrade should do it with ease.

Sounds good man, thanks for your input. It sounds like you are doing much more serious audio than I am so I'd imagine I should be ok there. I usually don't handle more than 10 tracks on a song and honestly garageband is usually adequate- I just use it for demos and pre-production.

As far as video I basically have a hundred or so old 8mm and VHS-C tapes that I'd like to dump in to a computer asap. I want to dump each tape in it's entirety, probably on an external just to back everything up. Then I can do this huge editing project from there that I've been talking about for years haha. It sounds like a MBA can handle everything for me. I may still get an iMac because I know my girls wants a new computer too and these days there isn't much sense in us each having a high end PC when I only really need the power when I'm at home anyway.

Thanks again for your input!

bobdobalina
Jun 11, 2013, 12:45 AM
I hate to be an apple apologist, but this is a smart upgrade. We're fortunate that the MBA designers have demonstrated clarity here. Many people wanted a Retina display. Thankfully, apple didn't listen. That is why the rMBP 13" exists. This MBA is purpose built to be a the cutting edge of functional minimalism. It is powerful enough for most users, and maximizes battery life while minimizing weight. A retina display would have compromised these design principles. One size fits all, make the crowd happy policy is why the PC laptop market is filled with, well, garbage.

Lack of a 16 GB ram option, and more competitive storage upgrade pricing are my only complaints. I suspect both stand a chance of resolution by the time Mavericks is paired with this computer. At that point, I'll likely upgrade, and put my 13", Lightroom crunching, ssd'd MBP workhorse out to pasture.

iSmack
Jun 11, 2013, 01:20 AM

Fine, stick with your ancient C2D and buy a MacBook when the newest Intel 3.2 ghz octocores are for sale.

Now, on a serious note. Why don't you and the countless other spec whores on here understand that clock speed doesn't mean much these days. Just wait until the benchmarks start to pop up...then you'll get some sense beat into that brain of yours. You have a 2.6 ghz headroom if required when doing intensive/heavy tasks - with a Haswell CPU. That isn't enough for you?

...it's like saying 25 megapixels is better than 16.1 mp which most of us know it isn't true. There are more to it than numbers.

PeterJP
Jun 11, 2013, 01:46 AM
Seriously, what percent of people need a 12 hour battery?

My guess is, more than the number of people that need a dGPU.

Anand posted some more information earlier this evening. It looks like Apple did not just go with a faster SATA stick/drive using the SATA interface; it seems they went with a PCIe-based SSD solution. Nice (this has been happening in the enterprise to get better performance for a little while now). Nice, but I would have thought expensive.

Yes, and they still managed to reduce the price by €100 for every model. Hopefully it's a standard interface and not proprietary. That would mean faster SSDs, faster Wi-Fi and a day long battery for less money. Bad Apple, bad, bad, bad ! :-D

Peter.

vivithemage
Jun 11, 2013, 02:24 AM
Nope. No better screen.

Marketing hype to call it the all new line of MacBook Airs.

Same Macbook Airs just with Haswell chip, which provides longer battery life.

Same body, same size screen, same everything else.

That said, I'm ready to purchase as I don't have a mac now and was waiting for the 2013 models to come out. And now they have. 13" is in my (near) future as soon as I can purchase one.

Yup, this is merely a look, hasewell IS great for notebooks release.

KohPhiPhi
Jun 11, 2013, 03:13 AM
Let's be serious guys: the update has just been to replace Ivy Bridge for Haswell, period. The battery life and graph performance boost are a direct result of the new processor's own characteristics, not Apple's engineering wizardry.

So yeah, a little bit of a "meh" update.

I still think that Apple needs to merge the MBA 13" and the rMBP 13" into one single laptop: do we really need two 13" models that are so similar?

fortysomegeek
Jun 11, 2013, 03:53 AM
Let's be serious guys: the update has just been to replace Ivy Bridge for Haswell, period. The battery life and graph performance boost are a direct result of the new processor's own characteristics, not Apple's engineering wizardry.

So yeah, a little bit of a "meh" update.

The switch to PCIe SSD from SATA3 isn't just a Haswell refresh. 750 MB/sec read and write from a SSD is nothing to scoff about. I'm hoping this spreads to the other line.

The PCIe switch is being reported by various sources including Anandtech.

nikaru
Jun 11, 2013, 04:27 AM
The MBA display is great. Color, contrast, viewing... Its perfect.
With 9 or 12 hours of battery life, you wont need your charger for a whole day and you have fast cpu and insanely fast ssd. ITs the ultimate machine for a internet/office user.

The mac line:

Macbook Air for basic user (almost 80% of all users)
Macbook Pro for more advanced users
Mac Pro for professional users

And then you have iMac and Mac mini for all users between.

Im sure that this year all macbook pros will go retina. Th problem is that almost everyone on the forums are advanced or pro users so they dont see them with an MBA and that dosent meen its a bad notebook. Infact its exactly that, a notebook.

phoenixsan
Jun 11, 2013, 06:54 AM
surprises in this front. Haswell chips were expected in this iteration of Apple portables. Power management? I suppose we will have to wait if the Air lives up to te claims of Apple or at least come closer.....:D

:):apple:

raw8725
Jun 11, 2013, 07:37 AM
Rubbish.

ifudge
Jun 11, 2013, 08:29 AM
Fantastic upgrade for me. Cheap enough to get another one when the next version comes out.

First Macs were about $3500, more like $5000 in today's dollars. These MBAs are a bargain.

The insanely great battery life for those who travel is a boon. Someone earlier mentioned they mostly use their Air at home and knocked the new battery life. Why by or comment on an Air if you sit on your ass at home all day?

mypins
Jun 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
Still the same.

FoxyKaye
Jun 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
I can relate to this.

But what would you need 16GB of RAM for?

It wasn't long ago, 4GB seemed like a lot and Mac OS X hasn't required more RAM to function.

Edit: oh and question for everyone: the better battery life is with the current build of Mac OS X? Didn't Mavericks also boast a better battery life performance on stage?
Honestly, mainly "futureproofing" - I do have to run a "mixed" environment of OS X and Win8, so every ounce of RAM helps. And Windows is just a PITA resource-hog.

notjustjay
Jun 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
Have you noticed that all those models use complete different OSs? It looks like something to take into account...

Heh. You know, if you had asked me 10 or even 5 years ago if I would buy a Windows laptop, my answer would be a resounding no. But these past few years, the landscape has been changing a lot. You hear much, much less nowadays about viruses, malware attacks, BSODs, etc. and the build quality is steadily getting better (though, admittedly, still not quite to Apple's level).

During the Christmas holidays I walked into a Microsoft Store for the first time, fully intending to scoff and laugh at how crappy the Surface tablet and Windows 8 were going to be. I spent half an hour playing with one and I have to say I liked it! A lot more than I like Android. And after playing with some of these touchscreen convertible laptops, I can definitely see myself using one as a hybrid travel laptop/tablet.

I currently own an iPad and a 2007-era MacBook Pro. Oh, and a crappy Windows 7 netbook. I could foresee replacing those with a nice powerful laptop as my main home machine (Retina MBP?) and a small travel laptop to replace my iPad (11" MBA? Windows 8 convertible?)

Knowing that my main machine is likely still going to be a Mac allows me to be a bit more open minded about what I buy as a travel machine.

ApplNat
Jun 11, 2013, 11:50 AM
My last Mac (and my only mac) was a <get ready for it> Powerbook Duo 280c!

Circa 1996, Appl's first color laptop. Teeny tiny. I worked for the company at the time at headquarters in Cupertino. Yeppers, had 2 Netwtons as well. Farrrrrr Out!

Been on Wintel machines my computing life though, so it will be fun to be on OSX as change of pace.

UberAppleGeekUS
Jun 11, 2013, 12:26 PM
It's my understanding that Haswell ULT processors are dual core only. That sucks :(

Um...The only Haswell processors that are DUAL core are the i5s...

Unless I am missing something....:confused:

jdechko
Jun 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
Um...The only Haswell processors that are DUAL core are the i5s...

Unless I am missing something....:confused:

The Ultra-Low Voltage chips that are used in the MacBook Air are dual-core only, whether i5 or i7. Quad-core mobile chips exist only in the regular versions.

Davy.Shalom
Jun 11, 2013, 01:21 PM
I assume this storage is soldered onto the logic board?

Eidorian
Jun 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
I assume this storage is soldered onto the logic board?That is what I am waiting to see. I imagine it is on a PCIe card instead though. Now to wait for the take apart.

Davy.Shalom
Jun 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
That is what I am waiting to see. I imagine it is on a PCIe card instead though. Now to wait for the take apart.

Yeah a PCIe card would allow for some expandability. On another note, I'm eager to see how the Mac Pro sells....seems reminiscent of the G4 cube.

Eidorian
Jun 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
Yeah a PCIe card would allow for some expandability. On another note, I'm eager to see how the Mac Pro sells....seems reminiscent of the G4 cube.I'd consider the new Mac Pro to be a "concept" computer more than anything else. Now that is going to require people to buy into their concept for a workstation.

They didn't update the Mac Pro for over 1,000 days, now the are going to release one that isn't viable for another 1,000.

prospervic
Jun 11, 2013, 05:24 PM
I put myself in a jam by selling my 2011 15" MacBook Pro four days before the WWDC keynote. I was convinced Phil Schiller would be announcing the new Haswell rMBPs. Now I'm sitting here with no Mac, and there's no definite indication of when Apple will release the new models. So, in desperation I ordered from Apple a refurb 2.6 GHz rMBP with 16 gigs of RAM and 512 GB SSD. (Actually, at $2,189 -- over $500 off the original price, it's a pretty good deal).

I had resigned myself to settling for last years tech, but then I read on a couple rumor sites that Apple may release the Haswell retina MacBook Pros in July. So, I think when my refurb arrives I'll just sit on it for a couple of weeks, and see what happens. Luckily I have my iPad, and I can always occasionally borrow my wife's 2012 MBA until then.

But, it's going to take one HELL of a lot of strength to resist opening that package…..

jdechko
Jun 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
Something I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet. Apple states 'all-day' battery life, and most guesses are that it's mostly because of Haswell. Even though Apple doesn't explicitly state it, I'm guessing that the tests were done with 10.8.4.

So things could get really interesting once 10.9 hits. Because 10.9 has a lot of new software features designed to reduce battery life (App Nap, Compressed Memory & Timer Coalescing).

Could we be looking at large enough gains between haswell & 10.9 to push the 11" to 10-11 hours and the 13" to 14-15?

gnasher729
Jun 11, 2013, 06:36 PM

Yeah, Apple introduced two new models, available today, that beat every single "Ultrabook" that is either out there or announced, and it doesn't include a coffee machine, electric toothbrush and a dishwasher. Absolutely disappointing. :D

----------

I assume this storage is soldered onto the logic board?

I assume that nobody actually cares. But soldered onto the logic board lasts longer and is more reliable.

gnasher729
Jun 11, 2013, 06:48 PM

Realistically, when Apple switched to non-removable batteries in the MBP, everybody complained how they would suffer because they needed more than the 10 hours that the new batteries provided. :D

In practice, having 12 hours of battery is just _very_ nice.

Speedy10x
Jun 13, 2013, 01:20 AM
I was wondering, when apple releases the new power enhanced OS X Mavericks and you then install it on the new macbook air with 12 hours battery, would it then (theoretical) be possible to get 12,5+ battery time?

sick z33
Jun 13, 2013, 06:41 AM
I was wondering, when apple releases the new power enhanced OS X Mavericks and you then install it on the new macbook air with 12 hours battery, would it then (theoretical) be possible to get 12,5+ battery time?

As I stated in your thread, in theory yes. :D

Davy.Shalom
Jun 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
----------

[/COLOR]

I assume that nobody actually cares. But soldered onto the logic board lasts longer and is more reliable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah reliability goes up but ease of expandability decreases. The future will involve external expandability (eGPUs, etc.) Apple is clearly moving in that direction with this project...and of course they want to emphasize more use of the cloud storage feature.

All the same, it's just sad to see that internal expandability will not be as easy. With a consumer product, I can understand the argument that most people will not expand or upgrade anything. However, in a professional or workstation class machine, a larger percentage of the targeted market sector will be wanting to upgrade. I guess they'll just have to embrace the change and look to external upgrades and cloud computing.

jdechko
Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 PM
With a consumer product, I can understand the argument that most people will not expand or upgrade anything. However, in a professional or workstation class machine, a larger percentage of the targeted market sector will be wanting to upgrade. I guess they'll just have to embrace the change and look to external upgrades and cloud computing.

Not to mention that in a "consumer-class" machine, such as the MacBook Air, Apple decided to pursue form factor (size & weight) and battery life. As such, expandability and raw power are pushed aside. Soldered on RAM, custom SSD blades and non-removable batteries are all more compact than their user-replaceable counterparts. That means more space for battery which means longer life.

It's also the reason I think we won't see a retina display in the air for at least a couple of years. It seems like the cMBP line will disappear and you'll have the Air form factor and the Retina form factor. Different priorities in different lines.

revisionA
Jun 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
The new MBA is pretty sweet. You really need to take a step back and look at how computers are fading out of the picture a bit. There are now mobile devices that are cheaper and more mobile that handle just about anything a normal consumer needs... tablets, phones... they just do what laptops did for 90% of us.

The question then becomes how much power do you need as a content creator. That is the domain of power users, other than gaming. I found in my most productive days it was on sub stellar gear with free software, because limitations give us a sandbox in which to be creative.

cmanderson
Jun 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
To everyone that was hoping for a "Retina" Macbook Air, I submit this. Marketing 101.

The only thing keeping most Macbook Pro buyers (read much more profitable buying sector) away from purchasing a (relatively) less profitable Air is Retina.

They wont be giving that up soon.

To those who feel the technology does not exist to put "Retina" in an Air like form factor, I submit the iPad3, iPad4, Google 10" and now countless other tiny tablets coming out with Retina like displays. Also several PC Ultrabooks on the horizon. Its all dollars boys and girls. Me? I got tired of the cheap looking fat bezel of my Air and paid the extra money for the 13" rMBP in February when they closed out the first Generation 13" rMBP (laughably from just 3 months earlier) at $1500.00 for the 256GB.

It's NOT that the technology is not available, it's that they'd be sacrificing function over form in this case. Ironic, I know, considering the exact opposite mantra is spouted over and over again on MR.

Perhaps in a year or two (or three), once technology has completely caught up. For now, which of their competitors has an "up to" 15 hour runtime on their equivalent notebook / "Ultrabook"?

First, there's a reason the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has a discreet Nvidia GeForce 650M in addition to Intel HD4000.

Second, battery life would suffer, and that's the one big drum they get to beat this year for the Air. Additionally, it would probably require larger batteries thus increasing the weight and/or thickness of the Air. That goes against the design philosphy.

Third, it would cost more, plain and simple. They've kept the cost at the same level and even dropped the price for the entry level 13" MacBook Air, for equivalent performance but MUCH better battery life.

Finally, not every customer wants or needs a Retina Display in an 11 or 13 inch form factor. Sure, I see the benefit, and you obviously do, but not everyone does, and for those who don't, why make them suffer with the tradeoff's?

----------

The new MBA is pretty sweet. You really need to take a step back and look at how computers are fading out of the picture a bit. There are now mobile devices that are cheaper and more mobile that handle just about anything a normal consumer needs... tablets, phones... they just do what laptops did for 90% of us.

The question then becomes how much power do you need as a content creator. That is the domain of power users, other than gaming. I found in my most productive days it was on sub stellar gear with free software, because limitations give us a sandbox in which to be creative.

Yes, although there are many enterprise apps (ERP, etc.) that just don't function well in a mobile orientation. The app support just isn't there yet. Some have bolted mobile functionality on, or are just beginning to offer alternative interfaces, but for those that haven't (and many of the "bolt-ons"), you're stuck trying to use the app with a touch screen and aren't as productive as you would be with a keyboard and mouse. It will take time until this is completely true, but it is astounding how far we've come in such a short amount of time.

torana355
Jun 14, 2013, 11:11 PM
I still think that Apple needs to merge the MBA 13" and the rMBP 13" into one single laptop: do we really need two 13" models that are so similar?

No i don't want Apple to merge those two models, that would bring the price of the 13" model up due to the retina display. I don't want a retina display especially without a dedicated GPU to drive it. There is no need for insane resolutions on a 13" screen.

rodriguise
Jun 20, 2013, 04:25 PM
On the contrary battery life is a huge deal. No one wants to have to tether up to an outlet during the day. That's the whole point of a laptop.

I have 2008 MBP and I never tether up after all day use, except at night when I am sleeping. But you missed the point of my post. Apple didn't do anything to get the battery life increase other than move to the new chips (CPU, GPU, and AC chips are all by their nature more energy efficient). Therefore the update is minor as nothing
innovative was accomplished. If they for example moved to TB2, or added a touch display or a retina display, that would have been major.

If anything the only significant change is the SSD, moving from SATA to PCI-e is a pretty big deal, not huge, but I wouldn't classify it as minor.

dragje
Jul 2, 2013, 04:05 PM
"With the new Haswell processors, The 11" MacBook Air will now have nine hours of battery life while the 13" MacBook Air will have a stunning 12 hours of battery life"

Impressive, can't state otherwise. I wonder how new technologies could make battery life even to last longer.

twoodcc
Jul 4, 2013, 12:58 AM
they really are tempting. but i'm trying to hold out for a retina mbp