PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces New Airport Base Station and Time Capsule with Faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 10, 2013, 01:13 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-new-airport-base-stations-and-time-capsules-with-all-new-designs-802-11ac-wifi/)

At today's Worldwide Developers Conference Keynote, Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller announced a new AirPort Base Station and new AirPort Time Capsules, featuring sleek new designs and improved internals.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/capsule.jpg
All of the devices feature 802.11ac WiFi, which allows for 40 percent faster data transmissions at the same distance as the previous models. They also feature beamforming, which is electronically steering antenna directions. All of the new products are available for purchase from the Apple Online Store today.

The AirPort Extreme Base Station is priced at (http://store.apple.com/us/product/ME918LL/A/airport-extreme?fnode=4d) $199.

The Time Capsules come in 2TB (http://store.apple.com/us/product/ME177LL/A/airport-time-capsule-2tb?fnode=4d) and 3TB (http://store.apple.com/us/product/ME182LL/A/airport-time-capsule-3tb?fnode=4d) variations and are priced at $299 and $399, respectively.

Apple has released new firmware updates (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1665) for both the Base Station and the Time Capsule.This update is for AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations with 802.11ac. It resolves a rare issue that may cause the hard drive in AirPort Time Capsule or a hard drive connected via USB to become unresponsive.Apple has also released an update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) for the AirPort Utility App for Mac and iOS.Use AirPort Utility to set up and manage your 802.11n and 802.11ac AirPort base stations, including AirPort Express, Extreme, and Time Capsule. AirPort Utility 6.3 allows you to configure and manage the new AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule with 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and includes enhanced remote management capabilities.AirPort Utility (http://appshopper.com/utilities/airport-utility) for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8)]

AirPort Utility for Mac can be downloaded from Apple's software update website (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US).

Article Link: Apple Announces New Airport Base Station and Time Capsule with Faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-new-airport-base-stations-and-time-capsules-with-all-new-designs-802-11ac-wifi/)

DJTaurus
Jun 10, 2013, 01:15 PM
Why not add them full capabilities of modem/router?

appleguy123
Jun 10, 2013, 01:15 PM
To me, those seem really ugly, especially when compared to the old ones. And is anyone else's stream really flaky?

rgarjr
Jun 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Interesting design. Wonder what the AEBS looks like.

portishead
Jun 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
To me, those seem really ugly, especially when compared to the old ones. And is anyone else's stream really flaky?

Who cares how it looks. If it performs well, it will be a great device. I got the Almond AC router from kickstarter, so I'll have to see which one I want to keep.

potatis
Jun 10, 2013, 01:41 PM

Meaning? Sim slot?

So, is this a cylinder or what?

DJTaurus
Jun 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
Meaning? Sim slot?

So, is this a cylinder or what?

I mean adsl modem capabilities.

smithrh
Jun 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
Before anyone freaks out about how big it is, it has to be that big to get spacing between the antenna elements.

I'm glad they didn't let aesthetics trump functionality in this case (pun intended!)...

bwillwall
Jun 10, 2013, 02:07 PM

I think the tall design is pretty strange. My stream was actually great quality and very smooth.

GenesisST
Jun 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
I personally prefer a bigger footprint than the new vertical design. I guess have to see it in person... I don't need to upgrade though, so kind of a non-issue for now.

iMikeT
Jun 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
I'm in the neighborhood for a new router and I think I'll get this so long as it has gigabit ethernet.

gramirez2012
Jun 10, 2013, 02:11 PM

ADSL modem? You're kidding, right?

swordfish5736
AirPort Extreme is $199 time capsule starts at $299

Ordered a 2tb time capsule

Orlandoech
I'm excited for these

Peace
Jun 10, 2013, 02:17 PM
I'm excited for these

I agree but they are pretty useless unless your Mac uses 802.11ac.

afb8
Jun 10, 2013, 02:17 PM
USB 2 is kinda odd

JayCee842
Jun 10, 2013, 02:20 PM
Not sure how all this wifi stuff works. I currently have the previous airport extreme.

Would upgrading to this one be worth it?

MVallee
Jun 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
Any idea how long it would be before we see these in Apple Stores?

Z17
Jun 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
They are already in the stores go to Apples website.

aristobrat
Jun 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
And have a bunch of different models of people who use cable modems?

unplugme71
Jun 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
it's 4" square by 6.6" tall... weird shape, better performance.

Question is, can you add your own hard drive into the AEBS? I thought it was said in the video, but mine started lagging so I couldn't catch it.

The Time Capsule has the same size/spec, so I'd image you could do so but that would take away the point from buying Time Capsule to begin with.

Peace
Jun 10, 2013, 02:27 PM
They are already in the stores go to Apples website.

In retail stores June 12th.

unplugme71
Jun 10, 2013, 02:27 PM
Not sure how all this wifi stuff works. I currently have the previous airport extreme.

yes

spatlese44
Jun 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
No longer cat-proof? Wouldn't be very happy hearing my backup go thump in the night.

leman
Jun 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
No USB3? What the ***? :mad:

tkermit
Jun 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
To me, those seem really ugly

Looks like the Powerbook G5 (http://www.maccast.com/images/g5_powerbook.jpg).

whsbuss
Jun 10, 2013, 02:33 PM
What I really want is an iOS app that can connect to the TC like other NAS devices. Grabbing files, pics or streaming video remotely

RoastingPig
Jun 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
dlna?

DaveGee
Jun 10, 2013, 02:35 PM

Do you have any devices that support 102.11ac ??

If so then yes, without a doubt!

If no then I'd say leave well enough alone if you're happy with the way your wifi currently operates.

The time to reevaluate is once you get you're 1st 802.11ac device...

Farplaner
So this is like 10 Airport Expresses stacked on top of each other? ;)

Anonymous Freak

The simple answers there are:

There are different DSL protocols, not every provider uses the same ones. That would add complexity and variation.

Not everyone uses DSL. Many use Cable, or FiOS, or other technologies that just give them a Ethernet port to plug in to. Again, adding complexity and variation.

To cover the US alone, if they were to go that route, they'd need to offer at least five different base stations (they'd still have to offer at least one "basic" model, because nobody would want to pay the extra $40+ to add the modem.)

Back when the original "UFO" AirPort base station came out, it made sense to include a dial-up modem. A majority of people were still on dial-up, and dial-up modems were cheap ($10 or less at Apple's bulk cost.) But for a company that makes very few individual models, having DSL/Cable/FiOS modems built in just doesn't make sense. Even Linksys stopped doing that a few years ago.

nsfw
Jun 10, 2013, 02:36 PM

these never worked well as a NAS anyways. TimeCapsule wouldn't backup the data on the usb connected drives.
and unless you are using the wired network isn't 802.11ac about the same speed as usb2?

MattG
Jun 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
That big stupid box, and they can still only give us 3 Ethernet ports. I'd love to buy this AND get rid of the additional switch I have linked up to my additional Airport.

iScott428
No longer cat-proof? Wouldn't be very happy hearing my backup go thump in the night.

Get a dog, dog will eat cat, problem solved. ;)

Orlandoech

That is true lol.

DaveGee

If they did THAT then they'd have to explain why they didn't include TB and have to fend off all of the ' Even Apple thinks TB is a dead end. " comments.

~Shard~
Jun 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
Not super useful until one can utilize the ac standard in devices, but cool nonetheless. As for those complaining about the form factor, although I was initially surprised and put off by it as well, I then quickly realized it was done for functional reasons (i.e. the antennas) and I don't believe there is any other real way around that. Weird though to see function overrule form for once when it comes to Apple! ;) And even then, the thing doesn't look *that* bad...

8CoreWhore

Wrong.

locoboi187
When will we be able to order the new ones?

DaveGee
Jun 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
Not super useful until one can utilize the ac standard in devices, but cool nonetheless. As for those complaining about the form factor, although I was initially surprised and put off by it as well, I then quickly realized it was done for functional reasons (i.e. the antennas) and I don't believe there is any other real way around that. Weird though to see function overrule form for once when it comes to Apple! ;) And even then, the thing doesn't look *that* bad...

Yep!

If certainly _seems_ like function CAN trump form over at Apple.... Then we get our first glimpse at the new Mac Pro and my speculation is more than a bit unfounded.

Ice-Cube
Jun 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
I assume right after the design of the Mac Pro was done, they be like "So we need a new airport extreme?" *copy & paste* There.

leman
Jun 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
If they did THAT then they'd have to explain why they didn't include TB and have to fend off all of the ' Even Apple thinks TB is a dead end. " comments.

Well, TB does not make much sense speed-wise on a NAS, but the ac would really benefit from a USB3 connection...

tekilla
Jun 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
these never worked well as a NAS anyways. TimeCapsule wouldn't backup the data on the usb connected drives.
and unless you are using the wired network isn't 802.11ac about the same speed as usb2?

If you mean Airport Express with a USB2 drive functioning as a makeshift Time Capsule, it certainly does work. It's by no means an official solution but works and was about 100 cheaper.

Mike MA
Jun 10, 2013, 02:55 PM

If you want to get yourself a Time Capsule for backing up your system and providing WiFi it pretty sure isn't useless! Especially not when completely redesigned.

gcortes
Jun 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
I'm getting one just to upgrade to 802.11n. My current router is seriously old. I been waiting for a few months for this one to come out. When I get ac compatible devices, I'll be ready. It should last me for quite sometime.

verniesgarden
Jun 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
I'm going to get the time capsule and paint it like a tardis.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
So this is like 10 Airport Expresses stacked on top of each other? ;)

Speaking of the Express anyone want to guess why they didn't update it too?

Snookerman
Jun 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
No more AirPort Express which means you have to pay twice the price for the cheapest base station.

parapup
Jun 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/3417/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/ME177_AV2?wid=400&hei=400&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp&.v=1370817567385

All that wasted space, but still only 3 GigE ports, only one USB port that too USB2! What's with the odd trash can type design?

Woodcrest64
Jun 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
Looks like the Powerbook G5 (http://www.maccast.com/images/g5_powerbook.jpg).

How's the battery life on that? :D

peb123
Jun 10, 2013, 03:06 PM
I like that it has a built in power supply. I hate the external brick in the previous design.

~Shard~
Yep!

If certainly _seems_ like function CAN trump form over at Apple.... Then we get our first glimpse at the new Mac Pro and my speculation is more than a bit unfounded.

Ha, I posted a similar thought in the new Mac pro thread. ;) Very cool aesthetically, but at the cost of relegating expansion externally? And then what will that do to aesthetics, having a cool-looking cylinder with a mess of external peripherals attached to it. ;) Any way, discussion for another thread... Along those lines though, I'm surprised Apple didn't decide to make these new Airports and Time Capsules cylinders as well, just to be consistent. ;)

gm713
What is up with this vertical monstrosity? Did iOS7 consume all of Apple's creatives including product designers?

Divided
Jun 10, 2013, 03:07 PM
No more AirPort Express which means you have to pay twice the price for the cheapest base station.

I missed the keynote, so did he actually announce that there would no longer be a cheaper express option?

potatis
Jun 10, 2013, 03:07 PM

But it's not discontinued.

As for the height, if you drill a hole in your shelf, you can lower it down and have just the top peak out, then it will lok like an Airport Express.

Peace
Jun 10, 2013, 03:08 PM
If you want to get yourself a Time Capsule for backing up your system and providing WiFi it pretty sure isn't useless! Especially not when completely redesigned.

You won't be able to use the faster 802.11ac unless your Mac uses 802.11ac. Otherwise it goes back to 802.11n

tekilla
Jun 10, 2013, 03:10 PM

Incorrect.
You can still buy Airport Express - it was only redesigned last year.

Lancer
Jun 10, 2013, 03:17 PM
The only issue I have with the design is you can't put it under your TV anymore, won't fit on the shelf with my PVR where it's less likely to be bumped.

As for USB2, I guess being a wireless device USB3 would be wasted and any USB3 printers and HDDs are backward compatible with USB2 anyway.

dunos
Jun 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
More importantly will we be able to configure the new AEBS from Airport Utility 5.6 or will we be forced to use Airport Utility 6?

If the former then that is great.

If the latter then that sucks due to the feature crippled UI

Cali Fornia
Jun 10, 2013, 03:21 PM
USB 2 is kinda odd

Apple doesn't want you to go for the Express version and hook a fast hard drive to it, u shall spend some more and get the dedicated time capsule. :rolleyes:;)

Peace
Jun 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
More importantly will we be able to configure the new AEBS from Airport Utility 5.6 or will we be forced to use Airport Utility 6?

If the former then that is great.

If the latter then that sucks due to the feature crippled UI

There's already an update for Airport Utility.

dunos
Jun 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
There's already an update for Airport Utility.

I just checked it out.. it is still feature crippled compared to version 5.6

iliasp
Jun 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
As for the difference btw Airport Extreme and Time Capsule, are there any apart from the fact that TC has a built in hard drive?

Mike MA
Jun 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
You won't be able to use the faster 802.11ac unless your Mac uses 802.11ac. Otherwise it goes back to 802.11n

You got me wrong on that one - if you're looking for a backup tool with integrated WiFi base station, you got your deal. It ADDITIONALLY supports the latest WiFi standard and comes completely redesigned. What more do you need?

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
Before anyone freaks out about how big it is, it has to be that big to get spacing between the antenna elements.

I'm glad they didn't let aesthetics trump functionality in this case (pun intended!)...

i agree with you, but i'm not seeing the pun?

Peace
Jun 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
You got me wrong on that one - if you're looking for a backup tool with integrated WiFi base station, you got your deal. It ADDITIONALLY supports the latest WiFi standard and comes completely redesigned. What more do you need?

To do faster backups ? A Mac with 802.11ac.

;)

jamesryanbell
Jun 10, 2013, 03:26 PM

"case".

atari1356
Jun 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
The old Airport Extreme looks too short next to my Ikea lamps. The new tall one will match better.

iVoid
Jun 10, 2013, 03:29 PM
I guess with this and the new MacPro, "TALL" is the latest trend at Apple.

Next iMac will be a portrait display. :)

AppleMark
Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
I personally prefer the new footprint. Looks like about 6 Expresses stacked and glued on top of one another. However I only have [old :rolleyes:] 'n' tech, so no use to me yet.

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 03:39 PM
So the only reason I can think why they wouldn't put USB 3.0 on here is because they don't want everybody buying the 2tb one and slapping another 2tb WD drive on there?

well joke's on them because i'm still going to do that. $400 for 3tb is just too much for me to be able to justify to myself. And by "myself" i of course mean the wife.

----------

"case".

I'm stoopit

Mac'nCheese
Jun 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
Wrong.

Will older devices see a boost in speed as well?

bigcat318
Jun 10, 2013, 03:53 PM

If the beam forming works on N as well they might. Otherwise I wouldn't think so.

BornAgainMac
Jun 10, 2013, 03:53 PM

Dog will pee on it.

DogHouseDub
Jun 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
Now selling both the square peg AND the round hole...

musser
Jun 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
After a time, one simply gets fatigued with all the various sniping negativity. It's fine if you hold an opposing view or wish to lodge a constructive criticism. But, if you're here just to appear that you're clever in your oblique negativity, you're just taking up space and adding nothing to the discussion. Personally, I want Apple to succeed. I have a lot invested in that outcome (my work, not stock). I, too, want Apple to make the best decisions. My approach is to think of myself as a hired contributor with a voice who might hold stock. Sure, offer suggestions. Take a stand on actions you think off-base. But, gosh, minimize the self-centered, whiny protestations which offer no useful advance.

Muramasa
Jun 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
I love that everyone who is complaining about the "tall" look, hasn't once thought about putting this on its side...

spatlese44
Jun 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
$400 for 3tb is just too much for me to be able to justify to myself. And by "myself" i of course mean the wife.

----------

I'm stoopit

Haven't seen anyone mention this, but didn't they drop the price from $499 to $399 ?

Ifti
Jun 10, 2013, 04:03 PM
Does the new time capsule still have guest mode etc?

vmachiel
Jun 10, 2013, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if 802.11 AC has increased range next to more speed?

note235
so we can add our own hdd to the base station?

nutmac
As owner of 4th generation Time Capsule, I am underwhelmed. The only significant changes are:

802.11ac which is very nice for my upcoming wireless devices, but useless for now
Redesigned case
Beamforming, which affects only 802.11ac

I was hoping for:

Faster I/O performance for hard disk (the website says only 50% faster)
Multiple USB ports
USB 3.0
AirPrint server
QoS (Wireless Multimedia Extensions)
iTunes Server
iCloud cache

SuperCachetes
I like that it has a built in power supply. I hate the external brick in the previous design.

You mean the previous previous design? My flat, square TC bought 18 months ago has no external brick.

Ifti
I love that everyone who is complaining about the "tall" look, hasn't once thought about putting this on its side...

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the antennas being higher up etc?

neuropsychguy
Jun 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/3417/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/ME177_AV2?wid=400&hei=400&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp&.v=1370817567385

All that wasted space, but still only 3 GigE ports, only one USB port that too USB2! What's with the odd trash can type design?

Space for the antennas and HDDs.

tbarney
Jun 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
So much for wall mounting the new extreme. Disappointed.

macpeach55
Jun 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
"case".

You could have gone with "trump" as in Trump Tower" as well :)

sdsvtdriver
Jun 10, 2013, 04:08 PM
Probably still won't be able to manage QoS settings either... problematic for VOIP.

macpeach55
Jun 10, 2013, 04:13 PM

I believe more important is the spacing of the Antennas.

In any case it is using beaming - I have an ASUS Router that uses the same idea - the router "locks on" to devices that are connected to it, and concentrates on supplying connection to those units wherever they are as they move, rather than a uniform "globe" of connection. It works fantastically - two floors down and slanted across the entire House in the Cellar I still get two bars of consistent connection on my phone. So lay it on the side - this unit will not care :)

street.cory
Jun 10, 2013, 04:16 PM

Is.. is your iPhone on meth?

JohnDoe98
Jun 10, 2013, 04:17 PM
I thought Apple only did thinner, what gives??

davidoloan
Jun 10, 2013, 04:18 PM
I wonder why they didn't put the Analog/Optical Audio Jack on it?

melman101
Jun 10, 2013, 04:18 PM
I had a problem with the Asus RT-N66U router I bought two weeks ago. I returned it today.

I'll be picking this up on Wednesday when it hits the retail stores. I hope I can get 80mbps down on my 802.11n 5ghz devices that I was getting with the Asus.

With the Asus, my connection would drop out randomly. Even if I was sitting in front of it :-(.

robertjamesm
Jun 10, 2013, 04:23 PM
Wall mount this sucker ? Someone could get hurt lol

mxt920
Jun 10, 2013, 04:26 PM
I know it's backwards compatible with A, B, G, and N, but the extended range and beamforming would only work for devices that connect via AC, right? It wouldn't allow my current devices (iPad/iPod Touch) to have better connections (would it?).

erthquake
Jun 10, 2013, 04:28 PM
I had a problem with the Asus RT-N66U router I bought two weeks ago. I returned it today.

I'll be picking this up on Wednesday when it hits the retail stores. I hope I can get 80mbps down on my 802.11n 5ghz devices that I was getting with the Asus.

With the Asus, my connection would drop out randomly. Even if I was sitting in front of it :-(.

I've been thinking about getting the Asus as well. Just curious, did you try updating the firmware?

DisplacedMic
Jun 10, 2013, 04:34 PM

not if you live on the side of the planet where most of us are, duh

unobtainium
Jun 10, 2013, 04:37 PM
Wrong.

Can you explain? What benefit would there be? If you already have an 802.11n router or backup drive, why upgrade unless you have a device that supports 802.11ac? Personally I'm hoping the HDD in the Time Capsule supports faster read/write so it can act as a better external iTunes host (my iTunes library is too big for my laptop).

----------

I was hoping for:

Ah, good to know. This is what I was wondering. Even a 50% improvement is welcome, since performance is pretty atrocious on the 4th-gen. I always get the little spinny wheel for more than a few seconds when I try to copy files to my iTunes library, which is hosted on the TC.

swordfish5736
Jun 10, 2013, 04:49 PM
Is.. is your iPhone on meth?

How so?

macpeach55
Jun 10, 2013, 04:56 PM

I have the RT N56U. Solid as a rock - no reboots needed. my Cable connection is rated at 65 Mbps down & 5 Mbps up, and I get that or above consistently on my iMac via wireless

----------

I know it's backwards compatible with A, B, G, and N, but the extended range and beamforming would only work for devices that connect via AC, right? It wouldn't allow my current devices (iPad/iPod Touch) to have better connections (would it?).

There is an excellent chance the beaming will work with your devices, if it is like the ASUS "Radar".

Time for you to hit an Apple Store & ask them face to face :)

extradryny
Jun 10, 2013, 05:02 PM
(they'd still have to offer at least one "basic" model, because nobody would want to pay the extra $40+ to add the modem.).

I'd have said the same thing until my wifi stopped working and I got stuck between Apple (it's your modem!) and Comcast (it's your time capsule!).. for 4 days.

ChrisA
Jun 10, 2013, 05:10 PM
I think the tall design is pretty strange. My stream was actually great quality and very smooth.

Yes, but this NEW router is much faster so you can't compare the old and new ones

MikhailT
Jun 10, 2013, 05:10 PM

Correct but the newer chipset might improve n-standard as well. With double the antenna and 3 dedicated for 5Ghz, it is possible you'll get more stable connections, even without the AC.

USB 3 or TB is worthless if the internal chipset doesn't carry data faster. Apple has a known record of using crappy IO chipset in Extreme.

Meaning that even if they had USB 3 support, it doesn't mean the speed is going to max out at USB 3's speed, it'll be maxed at the chipset's limit. So, if the hard drive can do 100MBps, the Extreme with USB 3 can still limit it at less than 30-40MBps because that's all it can do.

Unless Apple picks a high quality and speedy chipset, it's pointless to have USB3.

What is up with this vertical monstrosity? Did iOS7 consume all of Apple's creatives including product designers?

It has double the number of antennas, it has to be tall to allow those antennas to work properly and to allow for beam forming. Many new routers are heading this way in terms of tall design.

No, you'll most likely see more stable connections, less drops and so on because of the newer and improved chipset. Only the 802.11ac devices will see a huge boost in speed.

If the beam forming works on N as well they might. Otherwise I wouldn't think so.

Nah, I don't think so either because it's Apple we're talking about. They're not going to mess with the older parts. It's easier to focus on providing beam-forming on 802.11ac only.

There's a reason for the tall design, it's to give room for more antennas and to beam-form better. You'd want it to stand tall and provide better reception.

ChrisA
Jun 10, 2013, 05:12 PM

Very BAD Idea.

The radio "beam" is flat if you stand this thing up. Lay it down and the beam looks like a vertical wall and you'd have poor reception even if you were close.

If the beam where sperical then it would not matter. Height is required if the beam is to be made flat,

TsMkLg068426
Jun 10, 2013, 05:19 PM
I am also wondering if I should wait getting a Apple TV because wireless card might get a update to support 802.11ac?

Jacquesass
Jun 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
This will look great next to my Drobo 5N.

I'm VERY curious if you will be able to open the Airport Extreme and drop your own hard drive inside.

aprilfools
Jun 10, 2013, 05:41 PM
Buy as many current model (5th generation) airport extreme base stations as you can get your hands on right now! Do it quick before they are all gone and hard to find! this new model looks to be a tank for $20 more. What is Apple thinking? $20 for more plastic. Unbelievable. I say fire those involved in designing the new look of the Mac Pro and Airport Base stations. UGLY!

cmanderson
Jun 10, 2013, 05:47 PM

I had to kick my Apple TV down to 720P. At 1080P the stream cut off one too many times. I have a 50 Mbit Time Warner cable connection, and the Apple TV is hardwired, if you're wondering.

peb123
Jun 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
I'd have said the same thing until my wifi stopped working and I got stuck between Apple (it's your modem!) and Comcast (it's your time capsule!).. for 4 days.

Based on personal experience I'd pick Apple tech support over the cable company. In these situations you have to troubleshoot yourself, figure out where the problem is and then fight "the tech support" with facts. Goodluck!

easy4lif
Jun 10, 2013, 06:00 PM
Im gonna skip ac altogether. and wait till the next gen wireless tech comes out

carl0sian
Jun 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Time Capsule! I have the previous version and have nothing but praises for it. I like the fact that Apple updated the Time Capsule but am disappointed in the lack of USB 3.0 capabilities.

iSayuSay
Jun 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
Who cares how it looks. If it performs well, it will be a great device. I got the Almond AC router from kickstarter, so I'll have to see which one I want to keep.

If you don't care for the looks. Then why care about Apple after all?

You can look at the alternatives. It's made of plastic, chaper yet works well

Supa_Fly
Jun 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
As owner of 4th generation Time Capsule, I am underwhelmed. The only significant changes are:

802.11ac which is very nice for my upcoming wireless devices, but useless for now
Redesigned case
Beamforming, which affects only 802.11ac

I was hoping for:

Multiple USB ports
USB 3.0
AirPrint server
QoS (Wireless Multimedia Extensions)
iTunes Server
iCloud cache

I also was hoping for AirPrint Server - but OSX will suffice those needs. I really wanted USB3 (no excuse not to have this really; unless the push is for WiFi_AC), and MirrorCast was important.

I'm a huge fan of the Time Capsule! I have the previous version and have nothing but praises for it. I like the fact that Apple updated the Time Capsule but am disappointed in the lack of USB 3.0 capabilities.

I'm on 3rd Gen Time Capsule and I too can sing nothing but praises for it; except that iP5 doesn't support configurable 802.11n (for either 2.4/5Ghz) so I had to let it go; nothing mentioned in keynote for iOS7 to support that. That and I'm a BB user so I can take advantage of that.

SGS4 users can take advantage of this new gen Time Capsule and Airport Extreme since it too supports 802.11AC.

I'm curious, does the new Time Capsule support SSD natively out of the box?

portishead
Jun 10, 2013, 06:32 PM
If you don't care for the looks. Then why care about Apple after all?

You can look at the alternatives. It's made of plastic, chaper yet works well

Yes because Apple is ALL about how good it looks. :rolleyes:

furqan8421
Jun 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
Really wish they combined the features of the airport express (iTunes airplay) alongside the airport extreme

iSayuSay
Jun 10, 2013, 06:47 PM
Yes because Apple is ALL about how good it looks. :rolleyes:

In some cases yes. Not to say I agree with it, but it's true.

Remember new iMac? What's with make it thinner and cut the internal dvd drive? Putting SD slot in the back? For what?

YES. Looks :cool:

portishead
Jun 10, 2013, 06:55 PM
In some cases yes. Not to say I agree with it, but it's true.

Remember new iMac? What's with make it thinner and cut the internal dvd drive? Putting SD slot in the back? For what?

YES. Looks :cool:

I don't think Apple has ever made a product only to look good. That's foolish. It has to be functional first. The iMac is a beautiful machine, the optical drive is on it's way out. SD slot is used by almost every consumer camera. Making a product look good is not the same as being "all about looks". That's silly.

WilliamG
Jun 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
Who's hoping for QoS on this baby? :D

iSayuSay
Jun 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
I don't think Apple has ever made a product only to look good. That's foolish. It has to be functional first. The iMac is a beautiful machine, the optical drive is on it's way out. SD slot is used by almost every consumer camera. Making a product look good is not the same as being "all about looks". That's silly.

Agreed. So apparently, we put away some disagreement.
But you also contradict yourself.

You said "Who cares about how it looks as long as it works"
I essentially said "Apple is also about looks, if you only want something to 'just works' alternatives are available and cheaper too.

That's what my original post was all about.

portishead
Jun 10, 2013, 07:20 PM
Agreed. So apparently, we put away some disagreement.
But you also contradict yourself.

You said "Who cares about how it looks as long as it works"
I essentially said "Apple is also about looks, if you only want something to 'just works' alternatives are available and cheaper too.

That's what my original post was all about.

I was speaking in general terms, but as for Airport Extreme specifically, I don't care. After having a "nicer" smaller airport that doesn't have great range, I am willing to forego beauty for function.

I wouldn't want to use an ugly laptop every day though for example.

Rumple
Jun 10, 2013, 07:25 PM
I bet you this performs better than the old model on older wireless technology too not just "ac". I would get it just for that improvement if I had the funds, and patience to reset everything I own.

melman101
Jun 10, 2013, 07:25 PM
I've been thinking about getting the Asus as well. Just curious, did you try updating the firmware?

Yeap, updated to 3.0.0.4.270. I didn't go to the beta though.

I'd be sitting right in front of it, and my devices wouldn't be able to connect.

I'm gonna go for this 802.11ac Airport Extreme.

Been seriously contemplating the Time Capsule 2TB though.

steve_hill4
Jun 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
You mean the previous previous design? My flat, square TC bought 18 months ago has no external brick.

The AirPort Extreme did though.

thefourthpope
Jun 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
No, you'll most likely see more stable connections, less drops and so on because of the newer and improved chipset. Only the 802.11ac devices will see a huge boost in speed.

Answers my main question; thanks. Guess I'll hold off until I need a new desktop.

I'm all for the tall design. I have 9 feet of vertical space everywhere in my house, mostly unused. Horizontal is where the limits really happen.

macs4nw
Jun 10, 2013, 08:05 PM
.....At today's Worldwide Developers Conference Keynote, Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller announced a new AirPort Base Station and new AirPort Time Capsules, featuring sleek new designs and improved internals.

Article Link: Apple Announces New Airport Base Station and Time Capsule with Faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-new-airport-base-stations-and-time-capsules-with-all-new-designs-802-11ac-wifi/)

I had hoped for an aluminum design, with some allowance for non-metallic strips at the back, or all around, near the antennas, similar to 3G/4G iOS devices. Since APPLE insists on keeping the (heat generating/Time Capsule destroying) power supply inside the unit, for simplicity's sake no doubt, an aluminum design would have helped with better heat dissipation.

I'm sure Jony could have done a real nice job of integrating the polycarbonate strips near the antennas with the aluminum main body of the unit.
Average lifespan of the current generation TC: 18 mos. Let's see how the new ones hold up.

I'm also surprised they didn't update the Airport Express (yet) to the new 802.11ac chip. I have a dead g-version of the express, and don't wanne go buy an n-version, knowing the ac version is around the corner. Patience I guess. :(

castlerock
Jun 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
USB 2 is kinda odd

Odd, or just really lame. C'mon Apple, you can afford to put a USB 3 chipset in a $200 accessory.

This goes against their usual mode of aligning technology upgrades as each line gets upgraded. All of the Macs are now (finally!) going to have USB 3 but the Wi-Fi access point is stuck with USB 2 for no apparent reason, other than perhaps marketing (ooh look, next year's Airport refresh: now with USB 3! Wow!)

----------

After a time, one simply gets fatigued with all the various sniping negativity. It's fine if you hold an opposing view or wish to lodge a constructive criticism. But, if you're here just to appear that you're clever in your oblique negativity, you're just taking up space and adding nothing to the discussion. Personally, I want Apple to succeed. I have a lot invested in that outcome (my work, not stock). I, too, want Apple to make the best decisions. My approach is to think of myself as a hired contributor with a voice who might hold stock. Sure, offer suggestions. Take a stand on actions you think off-base. But, gosh, minimize the self-centered, whiny protestations which offer no useful advance.

My apologies, m'lord, I didn't realize this was a fanboiz-only forum. Someone must have forgotten to put the sign up.

castlerock
Jun 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
I'm also surprised they didn't update the Airport Express (yet) to the new 802.11ac chip. I have a dead g-version of the express, and don't wanne go buy an n-version, knowing the ac version is around the corner. Patience I guess. :(

Don't hold your breath- I would assume that since the AExpress is already limited by the fact that it doesn't have GigE the plan is for it to be the "lite" version of Airport and essentially a dead end. Besides, what exactly would be the difference between an AExpress and AExtreme, anyway? Other than $100?

SuperCachetes
Jun 10, 2013, 09:14 PM
The AirPort Extreme did though.

I see. Thanks for the education. I would not have assumed that since the footprints are so similar, otherwise.

sbmeyer001
Jun 10, 2013, 09:25 PM

I have waited for the new Airport Extreme figuring they would add USB 3, so I can have faster backups with my attached USB 3 drive. I am so disappointed. Apple, what were you thinking?

AppleWarMachine
Jun 10, 2013, 09:27 PM
I will be ordering one of these (3TB) to go along with my new 27" Retina iMac (3TB Fusion Drive) this fall :D

oneMadRssn
Jun 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
I'm wondering, since they regular Extreme and the Time Capsule are now identical in physical size, I'm wondering if internally they are also identical inside except for the lack of harddrive in the extreme. Meaning, I'm wondering if the extreme is a Time Capsule without a harddrive. Maybe to save costs a bit, the internals are identical but for the harddrive.

If that's the case, then I wonder if it would be possible to crack the Extreme open and pop in my own harddrive? Sure would be interesting if that were that case.

bigpoppamac31
Jun 10, 2013, 09:56 PM
I remember the original Airport base station. Looked like a flying saucer or ET spaceship. Call me old school but I miss that look.

pgiguere1
Jun 10, 2013, 10:54 PM

In real-world scenarios even 802.11ac can't saturate USB 2.0 speeds.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/O/368268/original/PerfTest75GHzacTCPSame5GWi-Fi.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/N/368267/original/PerfTest75GHzacTCPAcross5GWi-Fi.png

I had hoped for an aluminum design, with some allowance for non-metallic strips at the back, or all around, near the antennas, similar to 3G/4G iOS devices. Since APPLE insists on keeping the (heat generating/Time Capsule destroying) power supply inside the unit, for simplicity's sake no doubt, an aluminum design would have helped with better heat dissipation.

I'm sure Jony could have done a real nice job of integrating the polycarbonate strips near the antennas with the aluminum main body of the unit.
Average lifespan of the current generation TC: 18 mos. Let's see how the new ones hold up.

The main problem is not heat, it's to not create a Faraday cage.

ChrisA
Jun 10, 2013, 11:04 PM

All the modem are different now. Depends if you have fiber, cable, DSL and which brand. There is no universal modem technology.

Is is a router, also with a small built-in switch. It has what you asked for except the connection to the physical cable that comes into the house. There are to many different kinds.

----------

I have waited for the new Airport Extreme figuring they would add USB 3, so I can have faster backups with my attached USB 3 drive. I am so disappointed. Apple, what were you thinking?

USB 3 would NOT make you backup go faster. The bottle neck is not the disk, it's the network. even with "ac" speeds the network will no be as fast as USB2. There is no reason for USB3 on a router.

----------

Odd, or just really lame. C'mon Apple, you can afford to put a USB 3 chipset in a $200 accessory. ...

Why didn't Apple put Thunderbolt on the router? They have six TB 2 ports on the new Mac Pro so I'd want multiple Thunderbolts on the router too?

OK seriously now, what is the point of USB 3 on a router. USB 2 is not being stressed so it would be a waste to put a USB 3 on a WiFi router, just like those TB orts would be a waste

skellener
Jun 10, 2013, 11:13 PM
Lots of whining going on here. Is 6" inches considered "tall"?? Really? An iPhone is almost 5" standing up. This thing is pretty small. it's less than 4" square around. There are 6 antennas in there to improve performance. Some people just need to complain I guess. :rolleyes:

MrNomNoms
Jun 11, 2013, 12:40 AM

Because ADSL is pretty much a dying technology long term - at least in the country I am the aim is to have something like 90% of people covered by FTTH (Fibre To The Home) and the last 10% being catered for via a rural broadband using fixed antenna and LTE. Right now the best configuration I've found is using a Draytek Vigor 120 and setting the modem up as a dumb transceiver with most of the work being done by the Airport Extreme via a PPPoE to PPPoA translation done on the ADSL modem itself.

Same hence i had Arstechnica live blogging running in the background if I missed out on anything - IMHO although the keynote was great the big heavy lifting stuff will the more developer orientated one that isn't setup for the press and consumer audience. I'm hoping that we'll hear more about OpenGL 4.x given that leaks so far show OpenGL 4.1 support and maybe in future updates we'll see it expand.

From what I understand the additional antennas help 802.11n as well so those of us without 802.11ac cards still benefit from the better coverage capabilities due the better design and more antennas.

Lots of whining going on here. Is 6" inches considered "tall"?? Really? An iPhone is almost 5" standing up. This thing is pretty small. it's less than 4" square around. There are 6 antennas in there to improve performance. Some people just need to complain I guess. :rolleyes:

The way that it is appears on the website at least for me gives the appearance of being strange looking but when one actually gets out a ruler to look at the measurements then it looks no different than a male jewellery box one might put ones cufflinks into.

sambredeson
Jun 11, 2013, 01:15 AM

The G4 Cube. It was designed specifically to look new and flashy, then they tried to cram whatever they could into their design to make it a decent computer. As a result, it was underpowered, overcosted, and had tons of overheating problems - generally considered Apple's biggest mistake since firing Steve Jobs.

dckcentaur
Jun 11, 2013, 01:25 AM
I didn't like it at first but it is growing on me and after really looking at the specs it is not that big it just looks that way. I think the reason they went with taller design (if you think 6 inch high is tall ) is they wanted to inclose the antennas instead of them sticking up and out like other wireless routers like the old time rabbit years on tv's of yesterday. Its a really is a clean simple design.

silvetti
Jun 11, 2013, 01:42 AM

You could connect your modem directly to your PC...

If it works it's TC, if it doesn't it's the modem...

What is the problem with that ?

----------

Im gonna skip ac altogether. and wait till the next gen wireless tech comes out

You do know for how long 802.11n is out right ?

----------

Average lifespan of the current generation TC: 18 mos. Let's see how the new ones hold up.(

Are you basing yourself on what statistics ? Just curious...

----------

All the modem are different now. Depends if you have fiber, cable, DSL and which brand. There is no universal modem technology.

Is is a router, also with a small built-in switch. It has what you asked for except the connection to the physical cable that comes into the house. There are to many different kinds.

----------

USB 3 would NOT make you backup go faster. The bottle neck is not the disk, it's the network. even with "ac" speeds the network will no be as fast as USB2. There is no reason for USB3 on a router.

----------

Why didn't Apple put Thunderbolt on the router? They have six TB 2 ports on the new Mac Pro so I'd want multiple Thunderbolts on the router too?

OK seriously now, what is the point of USB 3 on a router. USB 2 is not being stressed so it would be a waste to put a USB 3 on a WiFi router, just like those TB orts would be a waste

Dude, don't waste your time, people on this forum just jump to the end of the topic and post the same over and over without even reading the previous posts...

Let them dream that USB3 would make their backups faster, don't kill the dream dude :D

Thunderbolt would be funny on a router hahahaha :D

H2SO4
Jun 11, 2013, 01:53 AM
I wonder if H-Squared will do an Air Mount for it.

ConCat
Jun 11, 2013, 01:58 AM
There's another radio tech out there that has the potential for infinite bandwidth growth. Hard to believe, I know, but take a look: Vortex radio waves. (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/120803-vortex-radio-waves-could-boost-wireless-capacity-infinitely)

MrNomNoms
Jun 11, 2013, 02:02 AM
My apologies, m'lord, I didn't realize this was a fanboiz-only forum. Someone must have forgotten to put the sign up.

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy and everything to do with people here trying to be 'cool' by being negative for the sake of being negative - to give off the appearance of impartiality by being negative without any sort of balance in the review. Sorry but it is pathetic when I see it on Macrumors especially with so-called 'Apple fans' and the most they own is an iPod Touch they got second hand at a garage sale giving their 5cents on how much Apple apparently sucks.

MIZA
Jun 11, 2013, 02:22 AM
is this ridiculous thing worth buying because i did

Vip
Jun 11, 2013, 02:22 AM

Apple wants you to buy time capsule, if the extreme had USB 3, then people will just buy the extreme and add their own (much lower cost) USB 3 drive if it had a USB 3 port.

It's got nothing to do with cost, it's plain and simple let's not affect the sales of Time Capsule.

Cheffy Dave
Jun 11, 2013, 02:28 AM

It is a way of separating the 802.11 AC antennae ;)

Henk Poley
Jun 11, 2013, 02:33 AM
There's another radio tech out there that has the potential for infinite bandwidth growth. Hard to believe, I know, but take a look: Vortex radio waves. (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/120803-vortex-radio-waves-could-boost-wireless-capacity-infinitely)
What that does is put a impulse modulation on the signal with a physical dish (so it's static, can't change). Much like what MIMO does in the latest wireless protocols. But again.. static, so it can't do the necessary adaptations when things are moving around. For an accessible explanation of the effect of signal impulse modulation with multiple senders, look at the promotion videos of Dirac HD, which essentially does audio MIMO.

For other receivers it will just add to the noise on the channel, since this can't dynamically adapt for deep nulls, etc.

Snookerman
Jun 11, 2013, 03:36 AM
But it's not discontinued.

As for the height, if you drill a hole in your shelf, you can lower it down and have just the top peak out, then it will lok like an Airport Express.

I wasn't on the Apple Store when I posted so I assumed it was discontinued. I see it's there now so maybe they were updating the site when I checked.

flottenheimer
Jun 11, 2013, 03:37 AM
Looking really nice. I seriously hope the range has improved dramatically.

I recently switched my two AESBs to one 3 year old Netgear solution. Its range blows the combined range of the AESBs away (one was set to extend the range of the other).
And no, it doesn't have any external antennas or anything. Its just a dark grey box hidden away in a drawer.

biohead
Jun 11, 2013, 04:27 AM
Because ADSL is pretty much a dying technology long term - at least in the country I am the aim is to have something like 90% of people covered by FTTH (Fibre To The Home) and the last 10% being catered for via a rural broadband using fixed antenna and LTE. Right now the best configuration I've found is using a Draytek Vigor 120 and setting the modem up as a dumb transceiver with most of the work being done by the Airport Extreme via a PPPoE to PPPoA translation done on the ADSL modem itself.

It's dying long term - but for now and the foreseeable future many places are stuck with it. Heck, even here in the UK, the rollout of FTTH has silently been scrapped(!!!!:mad:), and the emphasis placed on an FTTC rollout instead. This remains with the DSL family, albeit VDSL as opposed to ADSL.

Although I much prefer Apple doing it how they currently do it - with a WAN port as opposed to inbuilt modems. I can take my TC with me whenever I move, and bring my own modem. A good ADSL modem can actually be picked up for 10-20 if you know where to look.

I currently have a 4th gen TC, and a 2012 MBP - so I have no reason to update whatsoever at the moment.

macs4nw
Jun 11, 2013, 04:28 AM
Don't hold your breath- I would assume that since the AExpress is already limited by the fact that it doesn't have GigE the plan is for it to be the "lite" version of Airport and essentially a dead end. Besides, what exactly would be the difference between an AExpress and AExtreme, anyway? Other than $100?

One thing the express does, that the extreme does not, is streaming music, which is what I was doing with mine before it died on me. (My main network is handled by the Time Capsule.)

You could be right about it being dead-end, since the APPLEtv basically does the same thing with Airplay.

BBCWatcher
Jun 11, 2013, 05:40 AM
Do you have any devices that support 102.11ac ??If so then yes, without a doubt!
I disagree. Your wireless network is typically most limited by its connection to the outside world (the WAN connection to the Internet). If, for example, your home Internet connection supports a maximum 5 Mbps, you buy a new MacBook Air that supports 802.11ac, and you want to surf the Internet from your MacBook Air within a couple meters of your wireless base station -- in other words, if you're like most people with wifi -- then there is probably zero benefit to upgrading your base station to 802.11ac from 802.11g or 802.11n. Your wireless network will simply wait faster for the same Web pages retrieved from the Internet at the same speed. Increasing the capacity of a network element that isn't the rating limiting factor yields nothing, and it's not common that your wireless network is the rate limiting factor.

"Not common" is not the same as "never." However, I'm sure Apple is counting on many ignorant people to buy new base stations...to attach to their much slower Internet connections. Unless they're pushing lots of data through on the wireless side (Mac to PC, for example), or unless they can benefit from improvements (if any) in 802.11ac range, a base station upgrade is a waste of money.

d3bruts1d
Jun 11, 2013, 05:53 AM

802.11ac, while a standard, it isn't final yet. So in essence we are back in the "Draft N" days where the standard could (unlikely) change still. Additionally, 802.11ac isn't the latest standard, 802.11ad is.

LeoCastillo
Jun 11, 2013, 06:01 AM
I guess with this and the new MacPro, "TALL" is the latest trend at Apple.

Next iMac will be a portrait display. :)

Don't forget the "tall" iPhone 5.

hwojtek
Jun 11, 2013, 06:44 AM
OK, where is the teardown? I wonder if the new Base Station = the new Time Capsule without the internal HDD. This would allow some cool hacking.

phoenixsan
Jun 11, 2013, 06:51 AM
people waiting new Apple network hardware. Hope that this hardware means the ac standard is coming to desktop Macs. Like the new design too.....:D

:):apple:

alanplum
Jun 11, 2013, 06:55 AM

Damn it.

I ordered one of these without thinking about that!

My cat likes to sit on my existing AEBS. It aint gonna sit very well on this thing.

mtfbwy
Jun 11, 2013, 07:11 AM
I wonder if the 802.11n performance is any better with this. The range of the previous version is terrible. I'm ready to get rid of it for a different brand.

silvetti
Jun 11, 2013, 07:30 AM
I disagree. Your wireless network is typically most limited by its connection to the outside world (the WAN connection to the Internet). If, for example, your home Internet connection supports a maximum 5 Mbps, you buy a new MacBook Air that supports 802.11ac, and you want to surf the Internet from your MacBook Air within a couple meters of your wireless base station -- in other words, if you're like most people with wifi -- then there is probably zero benefit to upgrading your base station to 802.11ac from 802.11g or 802.11n. Your wireless network will simply wait faster for the same Web pages retrieved from the Internet at the same speed. Increasing the capacity of a network element that isn't the rating limiting factor yields nothing, and it's not common that your wireless network is the rate limiting factor.

"Not common" is not the same as "never." However, I'm sure Apple is counting on many ignorant people to buy new base stations...to attach to their much slower Internet connections. Unless they're pushing lots of data through on the wireless side (Mac to PC, for example), or unless they can benefit from improvements (if any) in 802.11ac range, a base station upgrade is a waste of money.

When you have no clue what you are talking about, you should not talk about it.

Who says you buy a router with even 802.11n for internet access ? You buy it to access things THAT ARE IN your network. Maybe you have a too simple setup as WAN - ROUTER - Laptop and you just browse the Macrumors forum every day, but some of us have other devices connected to our network and having an (even if theoretical) almost gigabit wireless connection makes a big difference if I let's say want to transfer a 4GB file from a NAS (or another mac, or whatever other device) to my Mac.

I'm sorry if I sound offensive but sometimes there are posts here that seem to be only with the reason to get a new title under their macrumors id name...

radgar
Jun 11, 2013, 08:03 AM

3 Ethernet ports is not enough for what I need, but probably about right for today's wireless world.

I like it that it looks like there's a direct connection for AC power rather than a 'soap on a rope' power adapter.

dannys1
Jun 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
3 Ethernet ports is not enough for what I need, but probably about right for today's wireless world.

I like it that it looks like there's a direct connection for AC power rather than a 'soap on a rope' power adapter.

I do like the fact that the wan port turns into lan port if you don't need it as a wan port though.

coolspot18
Jun 11, 2013, 08:39 AM

Cable, DSL, or FTTH? On top of that you'll need to factor in the different variations (ADSL, vDSL, sDSL, etc.) and provider firmwares. Also some providers lock access to certain brands of "certified" modems... Too much trouble.

----------

The processor inside is not powerful enough to saturate USB 2.0 (~35MB/s) let alone USB 3.0!

----------

Apple doesn't want you to go for the Express version and hook a fast hard drive to it, u shall spend some more and get the dedicated time capsule. :rolleyes:;)

I rather buy a Synology NAS. More reliable, more powerful. :D

makitango
Jun 11, 2013, 09:00 AM
So... is the HD inside still replaceable?

Nalmond92
Jun 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
Any ideas as to why they didn't add ac into the express? Was really hoping to pick up a new time capsule and an ac express to extend the network.

RMo
Jun 11, 2013, 09:03 AM

That should be pretty easy to figure out by eliminating one of the devices (e.g., connecting your computer directly to the cable modem).

As for the original request: Apple hasn't included a modem in the AEBS the original AirPort Base Station and, if I recall, the first model of the Extreme--and by "modem," I mean "dial-up modem." I'm not sure they'd want to make several different DSL and cable modem models when most people are going to buy or rent one from their ISP anyway. (Of note, you can generally configure DSL modems to bridge [and I think most cable modems do by default] so that the AEBS is doing all of the networking tasks.)

Elbon
Jun 11, 2013, 09:09 AM

AFAIK, AirPort Express doesn't support an external HD.

gazwas
Jun 11, 2013, 09:14 AM

Straight back at you Mr I know it all!

The fastest and most reliable form of connection, regardless of what is on the network is and always will be wired. If your serious about networking your house/devices forget wireless in any flavour......

phillipduran
Jun 11, 2013, 09:25 AM

Who says you buy a router with even 802.11n for internet access ? You buy it to access things THAT ARE IN your network. Maybe you have a too simple setup as WAN - ROUTER - Laptop and you just browse the Macrumors forum every day, but some of us have other devices connected to our network and having an (even if theoretical) almost gigabit wireless connection makes a big difference if I let's say want to transfer a 4GB file from a NAS (or another mac, or whatever other device) to my Mac.

I'm sorry if I sound offensive but sometimes there are posts here that seem to be only with the reason to get a new title under their macrumors id name...

I think his last paragraph says what you said. He points out that higher wifi speeds do benefit the end user on the wifi side, meaning locally, with improved LAN transfer rates and possibly range. So, it kinda does look like he has a clue.

People do all the time think that they have to get the latest wifi N version to speed up their internet over their 3mbps DSL lines. I get questions all the time when I recommend WRT54G wifi routers. Why not N?? But the N is faster. I want a wifi N! :rolleyes: When they tell me they are moving files locally or streaming from a PC locally, then I say bump up the WiFi speed.

eltaurus
Jun 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
should have USB 3 or Thunderbolt

GSPice
Jun 11, 2013, 09:34 AM

Wait. Were you actually hoping for USB 3 speeds over wireless? Even real-world USB 3 speeds? Over real-world wireless? Even 802.11ac real-world wireless?

jthompson666
Jun 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
It's a shame the AirPort Express didn't get 802.11 AC as well :(.. But I guess that since it isn't really marketed as a primary router, there's no need :L

SeattleMoose
Jun 11, 2013, 09:51 AM
And it also comes with a "chin strap" that attaches to the bottom so you can wear it on your head. Takes "personal hotspot" to a whole new level.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 11, 2013, 09:53 AM
This forum is full of real bright ideas!

:D

BBCWatcher
Jun 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
And you should improve your reading comprehension skills. A good start would be acquiring some.

...but some of us have other devices connected to our network and having an (even if theoretical) almost gigabit wireless connection makes a big difference if I let's say want to transfer a 4GB file from a NAS (or another mac, or whatever other device) to my Mac.

Why, yes. What a brilliant insight. It's also what I cited when I wrote:

"Not common" is not the same as "never...." Unless they're pushing lots of data through on the wireless side (Mac to PC, for example), or... (Emphasis mine.)

Most people don't have NAS boxes at home! (What planet do you live on?) Most people don't routinely push multi-gigabyte files between devices on their home wi-fi networks, and most people aren't doing that between two 802.11ac devices (or between an 802.11ac device and a fast wired device on the same local network). Among those very exceptional people there are many who won't particularly care if it takes a bit longer. Most people don't have many network connected devices, for that matter. Most is not all.

The poster I quoted recommended upgrading the base station to 802.11ac simply if you get an 802.11ac-capable MacBook Air. That's bad general advice. The correct advice is to upgrade if and only if there would be some actual benefit. You and I agree on that better advice, but you failed to read what I wrote correctly.

Apple introduced its new 802.11ac-capable base stations by saying (paraphrasing), "And, of course since we've added 802.11ac to the MacBook Air, we are introducing new base stations to support them." Apple knew exactly what it was doing when it didn't explain that most people buying new MBAs cannot benefit at all from an 802.11ac (specifically) base station. If Apple wasn't just trying to make money, Apple should have said something like, "The new MBA works great with the wi-fi networks you already use every day. However, some of you may want to get faster network speeds between your new MBA and fast wired devices in your home. Or perhaps you don't have a wireless network yet, or you want to add a wi-fi network to another location. If so, we have new base stations to offer which support 802.11ac...." That'd be more honest with customers. Apple didn't do that, unfortunately.

GSPice
Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
That big stupid box, and they can still only give us 3 Ethernet ports. I'd love to buy this AND get rid of the additional switch I have linked up to my additional Airport.

Let n = number of ports on the AEBS
Let x = number of additional ports you wanted on the AEBS
Let s = number of additional ports someone else wants after Apple releases an AEBS with n+x ports.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

:rolleyes:

surfmonkey
Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
For those of you wishing for a USB 3 port

Why in the WORLD would there be a USB 3 port when the "Over the Air" AC data transfer speed is not even at USB 2 speeds???????????

Yikes!

silvetti
Jun 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
I think his last paragraph says what you said. He points out that higher wifi speeds do benefit the end user on the wifi side, meaning locally, with improved LAN transfer rates and possibly range. So, it kinda does look like he has a clue.

People do all the time think that they have to get the latest wifi N version to speed up their internet over their 3mbps DSL lines. I get questions all the time when I recommend WRT54G wifi routers. Why not N?? But the N is faster. I want a wifi N! :rolleyes: When they tell me they are moving files locally or streaming from a PC locally, then I say bump up the WiFi speed.

Yes so lets call morons to people who buy ac routers... Cause that's what he did...

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know if 802.11 AC has increased range next to more speed?
Probably, because the new modulation (256-QAM) provides better error correction possibilities in a shorter time. Especially IP-based traffic should be faster.

akbarali.ch
Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 AM
USB 2 is kinda odd

Not odd, wireless transmission would probably never even reach the speed of usb 2.0, no point putting 3.0 connector for external HD.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 11, 2013, 10:26 AM
For those of you wishing for a USB 3 port: Why in the WORLD would there be a USB 3 port when the "Over the Air" AC data transfer speed is not even at USB 2 speeds?
802.11ac access points (AP) support up to 867 Mbit/s per antenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac#Example_configurations), and USB 2.0 supports only 480 MBit/s over one USB 2.0 cable.

----------

Not odd, wireless transmission would probably never even reach the speed of usb 2.0, no point putting 3.0 connector for external HD.
Nonsense!

azentropy
Jun 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
Wait. Were you actually hoping for USB 3 speeds over wireless? Even real-world USB 3 speeds? Over real-world wireless? Even 802.11ac real-world wireless?

Why in the WORLD would there be a USB 3 port when the "Over the Air" AC data transfer speed is not even at USB 2 speeds???????????

Yikes!

You realize that they also have Gigabit Ethernet, right?

street.cory
Jun 11, 2013, 11:09 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Although, for my uses I wouldn't see the benefit of a USB 3 port without having the wireless be able to take advantage of the speeds. Mainly because I'm rarely/never connected to a Ethernet while at home, and If I would be, I'd most likely have a dedicated Thunderbolt/Firewire disk setup with my iMac or new Mac Pro ;)

silvetti
Jun 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
I disagree. Your wireless network is typically most limited by its connection to the outside world (the WAN connection to the Internet).

"However, I'm sure Apple is counting on many ignorant people to buy new base stations...

This is my problem with your post, so apparently Apple (because no one else sells routers like N900 type...) makes these products because ignorants will buy them.

Apple is counting on providing the latest technology (not always), but it amazes me as to how this becomes a problem to some people on these forums...

Apple adopts Thunderbolt... the reign of lament topics flourish on Macrumors...

Apple adopts 802.11ac... we have again the same type of posts...

Use your G-rated router and leave other people alone... and stop calling other people ignorant because it only makes you look ignorant.

weckart
Jun 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
should have USB 3 or Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt would add at least $50 to the retail price for no obvious benefit. There are better and cheaper NASes available (hello, HP Microserver).

If you really wanted to make use of TB's bus speed you would need to beef up the I/O processor somewhat. Just how much are you prepared to spend on a consumer router?

shurcooL
Jun 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
So you can plug in an external hard-drive (via USB 2, argh :mad:) and share that on the network, right?

What about Time Capsule. Can its internal hard-drive be shared on the network, or is only for Time Machine backups?

----------

What about gigabit Ethernet?

curmudgeon32
Jun 11, 2013, 11:35 AM

What the hell did you do to your fonts?

leman
Jun 11, 2013, 11:52 AM

Yikes!

Benchmarks of routers I have seen have been routinely reaching speeds of over 400Mb/s over wireless (TCP protocol). This is the actual benchmark. The fastest USB2 drives out there reach 30MB/s or 240MB/s. Compare the numbers

vmachiel
Jun 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Probably, because the new modulation (256-QAM) provides better error correction possibilities in a shorter time. Especially IP-based traffic should be faster.

Awesome thanks for the reply

TDPHunter
Jun 11, 2013, 12:10 PM
I for one like that this version has one less cable. In the previous Airport Extreme you had the router connected to a power brick that then had another cord that plugged the power brick to the outlet. Obviously, the size is different in this one because they made that power brick a part of the router itself...

So yes, it is Taller... but I have one less cable I have to worry about and it takes up less space on my desk.

smalls
Jun 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
I have the version2 airport extreme, just wondering if the new airport has better coverage, stronger (non ac clients). My v2 works great, just want more coverage in the other parts of the house.

swordfish5736
Jun 11, 2013, 12:27 PM
What the hell did you do to your fonts?

Lol it's jailbroken.

My TC left china last night, suppose to be here Monday

scross28
Jun 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
I really wanted to get the airport extreme but no VPN server or QoS is pushing me to get an Asus RT-AC66U. I really like the way Apple manages the settings and software on their routers but loosing QoS (my current router has this) just isn't an option for my ISP's pathetic upload speeds.

locoboi187
Jun 11, 2013, 01:18 PM
Serious question. Is there a real need for time capsule? The only benefit I see from this is the new "ac" standard and wireless automatic time machine back ups. Is there anything else? Or will I just be fine with my current router that works just fine and use an external HDD plugged to my macbook for time machine?

GSPice
Jun 11, 2013, 01:42 PM

You realize that Real-world GigE speed tops out around 70 MB/s, right?

And that there's gotta be a pretty fast drive (drives, if we're honest) reading AND writing over this network?

And that Real-world USB3 speeds can get up to 400 MB/s?

If people are whining about wanting USB3 so they can read/write at about 20% of the protocol's real-world capability, then I'd have to back out of this debate.

unobtainium
Jun 11, 2013, 01:58 PM
I disagree. Your wireless network is typically most limited by its connection to the outside world (the WAN connection to the Internet).

I'm sure Apple is counting on many ignorant people to buy new base stations...to attach to their much slower Internet connections. Unless they're pushing lots of data through on the wireless side (Mac to PC, for example), or unless they can benefit from improvements (if any) in 802.11ac range, a base station upgrade is a waste of money.

I think this is an outdated notion. Many people back up wirelessly, stream HD movies to an Apple TV, or have other uses for fast transfer speeds within their home network. Of course AC wireless is unlikely to boost anyone's internet speed, but that doesn't mean it's useless.

The new devices also have other improvements, such as faster read/write speeds. For anyone who backs up to Time Capsule regularly, it would probably be a modest but welcome improvement.

yiswitched
Jun 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
Wow, it looks like a kitchen counter top water filter. A black Trash Can and A water Filter....

designs216
Jun 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
This is an obtrusive, awkward shape that's won't tuck away like the current TC.

bloggerblog
Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
I have to say, the Airport router is the best and easiest router I've ever owned as a home user. But I always expected new software updates to allow standard printers to work on iOS devices. The same way turned standard USB printers into network printers for the PC, they should be able to turn them into an iOS print server as well. But apparently it ain't hapnin and it's mak'n me mad!

MattG
Jun 11, 2013, 04:21 PM
Let n = number of ports on the AEBS
Let x = number of additional ports you wanted on the AEBS
Let s = number of additional ports someone else wants after Apple releases an AEBS with n+x ports.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

:rolleyes:

Still, the industry standard on a home router is usually at least 4. 3 is kind of pitiful. Go to the store and find me another router that only has 3 usable ports.

mdelvecchio
Jun 11, 2013, 04:39 PM
I'm sure Apple is counting on many ignorant people to buy new base stations...to attach to their much slower Internet connections.

right, its all a conspiracy. you got 'em.

er, no. if you have .ac devices, such as the brand new hot notebooks, then this will be a fine upgrade, regardless of ISP speeds. increased connectivity & reliability to devices within your wifi network. dunno about you, but i have trouble w/ plain old web browsing in parts of the house, the backyard, etc. that has nothing to do w/ large file transfers.

----------

Straight back at you Mr I know it all!

The fastest and most reliable form of connection, regardless of what is on the network is and always will be wired. If your serious about networking your house/devices forget wireless in any flavour......

that statement (on wired networking) doesnt alter the valid crit he had of the other absurd post, which was ignoring & criticizing the benefits of improved non-internet wireless network infrastructure.

oneMadRssn
Jun 11, 2013, 04:55 PM
Still, the industry standard on a home router is usually at least 4. 3 is kind of pitiful. Go to the store and find me another router that only has 3 usable ports.

Why choose your router based on built-in ethernet ports at all? Seems like the least important spec. It's a router, it's primary function is to connect to and manage a modem, and to run a DHCP and NAT server. Most "home routers" also have built-in wifi access point because thats what most home-users use these days.

If you want more ports, Ethernet switches are pretty cheap and come in all sorts of sizes to fit anyones needs.

Here you go, 8 more ports: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857&seq=1&format=2

If I were to design a router, it would have one WAN port and one LAN port. The user would be expected to bring a switch if they needed more LAN ports.

krravi
Jun 11, 2013, 05:34 PM
I thought Apple only did thinner, what gives??

That Apple could go on a binge occasionally?

sbmeyer001
Jun 11, 2013, 05:34 PM

----------

----------

Granted, at a USB 2.0 rated speed of 480mbps at "n" or the new "ac" I would not be feeding the router that fast. My current N network, and my Apple devices are all N, could send the data at 300mbps, and the USB 2.0 should keep up. Theory is nice. Regardless, based on all the posts in this thread, I think I would get the benefit of a faster backup, using the same USB 3.0 WD attached to my current Airport Express, if the new APE had a 3.0 port. Really, what would it have hurt? I think it would have improved my backups, even slightly is better than nothing. So, is the bottleneck the Wi-Fi, or the speed between my current AEP and my attached hard drive? So, you are saying that if I buy one of those new Docking Stations, that hook up to my 2011 iMac, (which does not have USB 3.0) and feed a USB 3.0 drive (say running at 7200 RPM), I would not notice a difference? As opposed to connecting it to my current USB 2.0 ports? I think I would notice a difference.

krravi
Jun 11, 2013, 05:36 PM
What's interesting to me would be the range....

2.4 Ghz still has the best range...
5 Ghz has more bandwidth but less range..

Wonder who this will work...

I have two Apple Extreme's that I am pleased with for the past 4 years!

Digital Dude
Jun 11, 2013, 05:43 PM

...case

extradryny
Jun 11, 2013, 05:43 PM
You could connect your modem directly to your PC...

If it works it's TC, if it doesn't it's the modem...

What is the problem with that ?

Gosh we never thought of that

azentropy
Jun 11, 2013, 05:51 PM

And that there's gotta be a pretty fast drive (drives, if we're honest) reading AND writing over this network?

If people are whining about wanting USB3 so they can read/write at about 20% of the protocol's real-world capability, then I'd have to back out of this debate.

20% of the protocol's real-world capability is still faster than what we have with USB2.

Just because it can't use the full capability of USB3 in every task doesn't mean that it isn't worth having or that it isn't a disappointment that it doesn't have that feature.

rdlink
Jun 11, 2013, 05:59 PM

Agreed on the ports. I could justify it when the Extreme and Time Capsule were the old size, or even if Apple sold switches, and wanted to make that money. But they don't have a dog on that fight, and there is plenty of room to put another port on (to match the competition) or maybe two or three (to elevate the Apple option).

tommyminahan
Jun 11, 2013, 06:06 PM
Agreed on the ports. I could justify it when the Extreme and Time Capsule were the old size, or even if Apple sold switches, and wanted to make that money. But they don't have a dog on that fight, and there is plenty of room to put another port on (to match the competition) or maybe two or three (to elevate the Apple option).

Because this is Apple.

Physical Media is dead, Physical Connections will soon be dead.. Next up, No more Physical Peripherals. (don't you dare think Apple isn't already working on that ;) )

Ommid
Jun 11, 2013, 06:20 PM

Put it on its side then?

rdlink
Jun 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
Because this is Apple.

Physical Media is dead, Physical Connections will soon be dead.. Next up, No more Physical Peripherals. (don't you dare think Apple isn't already working on that ;) )

Sorry. Don't buy into that. Wireless is great. But I own a centralized home networking/home theater system in a self-contained "closet," and for reliability, security, consistency and speed reasons I will always choose wired over wireless when the option is there. Only having three ports on the Time Capsule causes me to buy a network switch for the lack of just one port.

unibility
Jun 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
what was wrong with the previous generation airport extreme? i don't see the reason why apple had to increase the height. :confused:

donutbagel
Jun 11, 2013, 06:41 PM
Nice! But why are there only 3 ethernet ports now?! There were 4 before, and even that was too few.

----------

Give it 4G LTE capability :D

----------

Sounds good, but what the heck is your font? :p

tommyminahan
Jun 11, 2013, 06:55 PM
what was wrong with the previous generation airport extreme? i don't see the reason why apple had to increase the height. :confused:

Its hard to visual it without a reference in the photo, but its the footprint of an AE (or AppleTV) and its only 6" tall.

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/06/10/Airport_610x330.jpg

----------

Sorry. Don't buy into that. Wireless is great. But I own a centralized home networking/home theater system in a self-contained "closet," and for reliability, security, consistency and speed reasons I will always choose wired over wireless when the option is there. Only having three ports on the Time Capsule causes me to buy a network switch for the lack of just one port.

I know its hard to buy into.. But, its truly where the market is headed.

Two brand new Middle Schools they are building in my town are completely wireless. the only copper is the runs to the AP's, and to the IP Phones.
(and of course the Cisco backend)

This device is obviously targeted towards home users anyway. And the majority of them dont have a clue how to setup a bluray player, much less a centralized home network.

I don't see copper disappearing entirely- but as more any more devices adapt to wireless, there is very little need for extra ports on a home router.

rdlink
Jun 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
Nice! But why are there only 3 ethernet ports now?! There were 4 before, and even that was too few.

----------

Give it 4G LTE capability :D

----------

Sounds good, but what the heck is your font? :p

There were three outgoing (LAN) ports before. There are three now. No change.

----------

The height difference was for antenna spacing. And to make my Time Capsule wall mount obsolete... :eek:

Sewis
Jun 11, 2013, 07:15 PM
..at least they didn't announce it 9/11

smoking monkey
Jun 11, 2013, 07:58 PM

yes

Can anybody elaborate on why this is so? I will get a haswell MBP when released so for that reason alone worth it, but what about for streaming via my apple TV? would I need to upgrade my apple TV as well to get the speed benefits? I'm assuming so.

Easy. Get rid of the cat...

DisplacedMic
Jun 11, 2013, 08:12 PM
Put it on its side then?

i wouldn't

BBCWatcher
Jun 11, 2013, 08:13 PM
This is my problem with your post, so apparently Apple (because no one else sells routers like N900 type...) makes these products because ignorants will buy them.
Try reading my post again.

There's no problem buying a wireless router that happens to support 802.11ac if you need a wireless router, even if you cannot benefit from 802.11ac.

The problem is that Apple (and others) are not providing trustworthy guidance that most people should not rush out to upgrade their wireless routers because most people will not see any benefit whatsoever in doing so. They would simply be wasting money. Most is not all.

My post is very clear. Apple was not.

DisplacedMic
Jun 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
would I need to upgrade my apple TV as well to get the speed benefits? I'm assuming so.

yes. the wifi is 802.11 a/b/g/n

----------

Try reading my post again.

There's no problem buying a wireless router that happens to support 802.11ac if you need a wireless router, even if you cannot benefit from 802.11ac.

The problem is that Apple (and others) are not providing trustworthy guidance that most people should not rush out to upgrade their wireless routers because most people will not see any benefit whatsoever in doing so. They would simply be wasting money. Most is not all.

My post is very clear. Apple was not.

why would people do that?
even someone with the most peripheral knowledge of computing should know that there are different kinds of wi-fi. Hey, the letters are different! I wonder if my thing has that. No? well then ostensibly i don't need it.

Ommid
Jun 11, 2013, 08:49 PM
i wouldn't

You need a cat

Drunken Master
Jun 11, 2013, 09:10 PM

Yeah, well, don't have cats.

MattG
Jun 11, 2013, 09:42 PM
Why choose your router based on built-in ethernet ports at all? Seems like the least important spec. It's a router, it's primary function is to connect to and manage a modem, and to run a DHCP and NAT server. Most "home routers" also have built-in wifi access point because thats what most home-users use these days.

If you want more ports, Ethernet switches are pretty cheap and come in all sorts of sizes to fit anyones needs.

Here you go, 8 more ports: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857&seq=1&format=2

If I were to design a router, it would have one WAN port and one LAN port. The user would be expected to bring a switch if they needed more LAN ports.

Another device, another piece of clutter, more space used on my shelf, another wall-wart to squeeze into the surge strip...that's why. It may as well be all in one device. It's not just a router, it's a switch as well. When Wi-Fi works as well as a wired connection, then maybe I won't care anymore.

Ibjr
Jun 11, 2013, 10:16 PM

You must be new around here.

donutbagel
Jun 11, 2013, 10:27 PM

Coax on an Apple device? When pigs fly ;)

But any ISP would install a modem for you, so there's no need. Well, unless they're jerks. I'm not excusing Apple's apparent hate for coax. The Apple TV ought to have it.

calderone
Jun 11, 2013, 10:57 PM
Its hard to visual it without a reference in the photo, but its the footprint of an AE (or AppleTV) and its only 6" tall.

Image (http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/06/10/Airport_610x330.jpg)

Another reference photo:
http://photos.appleinsider.com/13.06.11-Extreme-4.jpg

DisplacedMic
Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
Another device, another piece of clutter, more space used on my shelf, another wall-wart to squeeze into the surge strip...that's why. It may as well be all in one device. It's not just a router, it's a switch as well. When Wi-Fi works as well as a wired connection, then maybe I won't care anymore.

For me, wi-fi does work as well as a wired connection for all intents and purposes. I agree with oneMadRssn on this issue - it's a wireless router.

Sure, the industry standard for a router is 4+ ports, but i haven't used more than 1 or 2 of those ports in years. My computing is all wifi, my printer is wifi. I plug in my desktop simply because it's there - so there you have it. 2 ports, one for the modem, one for the tower... i do have a hardwire running under my house to my media server - but even that works fine over wifi

I don't see how 1 less port increases clutter by 25%. at least not for my purposes. there are a million and one ways to manage wires, switches and general clutter.

i don't think this device or its design are "endgame" but i certainly don't think either are deal breakers either.

John Kotches
Jun 11, 2013, 11:51 PM

I guess I don't live in the real world. I see transfers exceeding 90MB/s from my Mac mini to my Synology NAS. Jumbo frames made a significant bump in throughput.

SSD to NAS with jumbo frames.

SSD is really fast ;)

20% of USB 3 is faster than 100% of USB 2.

AppleMacFinder
Jun 12, 2013, 03:14 AM
1. AirPort Extreme is based on an IEEE 802.11ac draft specification Performance based on comparison with Apple’s 802.11n products. Comparison assumes AirPort Extreme network with 802.11ac-enabled computer. Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network. Accessing the wireless network requires a Wi-Fi-enabled device. Actual speed will vary based on range, connection rate, site conditions, size of network, and other factors. Range will vary with site conditions.
2. Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.

It is better to not to buy and wait for 802.11ac final Airports;
otherwise there could be problems with other 802.11ac devices! :eek:
I remember a lot of trouble with 802.11n draft. Draft always suck

itickings
Jun 12, 2013, 03:46 AM
It is better to not to buy and wait for 802.11ac final Airports;
otherwise there could be problems with other 802.11ac devices! :eek:
I remember a lot of trouble with 802.11n draft. Draft always suck

In general, yeah, it is safer to wait. Lots of problems with 11n draft in general, interoperability problem between devices from different manufacturers, and not all devices were even possible to upgrade to final n. But Apple's devices did fine.

...of course, draft-n working out for Apple last time is in no way any guarantee for ac not being a disaster this time. :p

The final 802.11ac is most likely a long time away, so plenty of time to enjoy draft-ac in the meantime (sticking to compatible devices) for anyone willing to gamble. There is always something better coming out later...

AppleMark
Jun 12, 2013, 05:02 AM
I had hoped for an aluminum design, with some allowance for non-metallic strips at the back, or all around, near the antennas, similar to 3G/4G iOS devices.

Aluminium blocks WIFI. So even with "non-metallic strips" this would defeat the object of creating a maximum range device. Which is what they were aiming to do.

Also, you cannot compare the practical range and output of an iOS device verses a purpose designed WIFI transmitter.

MattG
Jun 12, 2013, 07:24 AM
For me, wi-fi does work as well as a wired connection for all intents and purposes. I agree with oneMadRssn on this issue - it's a wireless router.

I have two Apple TVs, one of which is wired and the other of which is wireless due to reasons beyond my control. Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. The wired one is solid, the wireless one simply is not, and it's not a distance issue.

silvetti
Jun 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
Gosh we never thought of that

So why were you arguing which one was at fault: Apple or Comcast ?

Your post makes no sense then...

oneMadRssn
Jun 12, 2013, 08:15 AM

So you want more wires but less clutter. Make up your mind!

downpour
Jun 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before but isn't USB 2.0 going to mean 802.11ac is totally useless in the AirPort Extreme when used as a NAS.

The top speed of 802.11ac is 1300Mbps, but the top speed of USB2.0 is just 480Mbps (even lower in reality).

That's a major bottleneck. If Apple had included USB 3.0 (4800Mbps) the 802.11ac would have been worth it. As it stands, it's just a waste of money. :confused:

Other manufactures seem to be able to do it, like this netgear...
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/R6250.aspx#two

...so why can't Apple?

macs4nw
Jun 12, 2013, 08:46 AM
Aluminium blocks WIFI. So even with "non-metallic strips" this would defeat the object of creating a maximum range device. Which is what they were aiming to do. Also, you cannot compare the practical range and output of an iOS device verses a purpose designed WIFI transmitter.

That's precisely why I suggested non-metallic strips, or even a non-metallic band all around the part where the antennas are. I'm convinced Jony could come up with some gorgeous design incorporating these requirements, without hampering all those signals (beams). It's a trade-off for the unit's longevity; as it stands now, the average lifespan of the current TCs is approx. 18 mos. That's not good enough.

MattG
Jun 12, 2013, 09:05 AM
So you want more wires but less clutter. Make up your mind!

<sigh> Is this really that difficult to understand? There are already wires going to the back of the Airport regardless. One or two more wires is a lot less clutter than the addition an entire, secondary switch.

ix.heart
Jun 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Bought one yesterday and set it up at my brother's house. He had a previous extreme and all i can say is it's faster, runs cooler and has much better range than even the previous generation and that's on 802.11n. Looking forward to getting my Air and seeing increased productivity. Who cares what it looks like, the design obviously facilitates the performance. Love it.

sick z33
Jun 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
Ordered mine for store pickup. Can't wait!

AppleMark
Jun 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
That's precisely why I suggested non-metallic strips, or even a non-metallic band all around the part where the antennas are. I'm convinced Jony could come up with some gorgeous design incorporating these requirements, without hampering all those signals (beams). It's a trade-off for the unit's longevity; as it stands now, the average lifespan of the current TCs is approx. 18 mos. That's not good enough.

Maybe he was too busy on the MacPro ;)

VenusianSky
Jun 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe time to upgrade my 1st gen 500GB TC. It has been solid for all these years, but I would like more space and updated Wifi features.

GSPice
Jun 12, 2013, 09:48 AM
20% of the protocol's real-world capability is still faster than what we have with USB2.

Just because it can't use the full capability of USB3 in every task doesn't mean that it isn't worth having or that it isn't a disappointment that it doesn't have that feature.

Like I said, if this level of moaning for 20% of USB capability is warranted, then I concede the debate.

----------

I guess I don't live in the real world. I see transfers exceeding 90MB/s from my Mac mini to my Synology NAS. Jumbo frames made a significant bump in throughput.

SSD to NAS with jumbo frames.

SSD is really fast ;)

20% of USB 3 is faster than 100% of USB 2.

Sacrebleu! An expert! That's cheating! I'd say that anyone with your (our? ;) ) level of knowledge and requirements has much more of a right to complain about Apple products than most. I'm serious!

And of course 20% of USB3 is faster than 100% of USB2. I just chuckle at some folks vigor in whining to achieve that 20% capability. Personally I'd be looking down more optimal avenues.

GSPice
Jun 12, 2013, 10:16 AM
It's a trade-off for the unit's longevity; as it stands now, the average lifespan of the current TCs is approx. 18 mos. That's not good enough.

Whoa turbo! Where'd you get that stat? Does it include total units sold, or just those sold to users who ended up with some response bias? I'd check that article a little closer.. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, the power supply in the unit is the part that has been specifically noted for failure. That's another reason why all my expensive stuff is connected to magic power filtering boxes.

TC's actual MTBF is pretty interesting though.. I'll probably be getting one soon and I'd hope it would last at least as long as my individual hard drives have.

John Kotches
Jun 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
And of course 20% of USB3 is faster than 100% of USB2. I just chuckle at some folks vigor in whining to achieve that 20% capability. Personally I'd be looking down more optimal avenues.

There is nothing wrong with registering disappointment with a product vs. expectations. We don't know the details into the decisions that were made with the new AE, but the gang here know what the current technology is and they expect the latest product to have the latest technology. It's not IMO a ridiculous ask. I'm guessing there were practical implications, ie more CPU horsepower required for the USB3 port vs a USB2 that could have changed the economics of the delivered product. This is Apple and they need to maintain their margins after all ;)

I'm more of a *nix expert (Solaris, RHEL and to a lesser extent HP-UX and AIX) than an Apple expert. Thankfully OS X has *nix roots so a lot of existing knowledge translates over directly.

Tomacorno
Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
Buy as many current model (5th generation) airport extreme base stations as you can get your hands on right now! Do it quick before they are all gone and hard to find! this new model looks to be a tank for $20 more. What is Apple thinking? $20 for more plastic. Unbelievable. I say fire those involved in designing the new look of the Mac Pro and Airport Base stations. UGLY!

Thank goodness for user names! :D

----------

In general, yeah, it is safer to wait. Lots of problems with 11n draft in general, interoperability problem between devices from different manufacturers, and not all devices were even possible to upgrade to final n. But Apple's devices did fine.

...of course, draft-n working out for Apple last time is in no way any guarantee for ac not being a disaster this time. :p

The final 802.11ac is most likely a long time away, so plenty of time to enjoy draft-ac in the meantime (sticking to compatible devices) for anyone willing to gamble. There is always something better coming out later...

IIRC the n draft was operating for several years You could wait but you would have missed the better speeds for quite a while and it seemed to work for me and my apple devices.

ProMod
Jun 12, 2013, 10:47 AM
As soon as someone can confirm that this thing doesn't buzz under heavy load like the previous gen AEBS, I'm buying one.

GSPice
Jun 12, 2013, 10:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with registering disappointment with a product vs. expectations. We don't know the details into the decisions that were made with the new AE, but the gang here know what the current technology is and they expect the latest product to have the latest technology. It's not IMO a ridiculous ask. I'm guessing there were practical implications, ie more CPU horsepower required for the USB3 port vs a USB2 that could have changed the economics of the delivered product. This is Apple and they need to maintain their margins after all ;)

I'm more of a *nix expert (Solaris, RHEL and to a lesser extent HP-UX and AIX) than an Apple expert. Thankfully OS X has *nix roots so a lot of existing knowledge translates over directly.

+1

I hear that.

AppleMacFinder
Jun 12, 2013, 10:51 AM

It was still impossible to upgrade from draft-n to n without buying new Apple hardware.
Perhaps, you remember about Apple Extreme 802.11n Enabler, which allowed to enable draft n
on some computers, which were just a/b/g initially: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2447

I see your point: it could take 2-3 years for ac final. Draft 802.11ac would be
a wiser choice than previous 802.11n: at least, could just disable ac if dont like.
Would be like previous generation, and even better if more powerful antennas.

haravikk
Jun 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
I don't really like this tall design; I think they would have been better going for a cylinder more like the new Mac Pro, or maybe something convex with a wider base that gets shorter. I dunno, it's just not really all that stylish, but for a device that works best when centrally located you really want it to look a bit better.

Not that there are that many good-looking wireless routers, but I think Apple could have surely come up with something a bit better.

Functionally it sounds good, it's just a bit ugly when you extrude the design so far like that.

locoboi187
Jun 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
I just bought one. If anyone wants to know anything about it let me know and I'll try to answer what I can.

Ramiro210
Jun 12, 2013, 12:26 PM
Loco,

If you have a sec...

1) What router are you upgrading from?
2) What spec(s) are you using? (a,g,n, etc)?
3) If you have devices using the n spec, what band 2.4ghz or 5ghz?
4) What's the performance delta from old router to the new one?

I'm really on the fence about buying this, currently using a 5th gen AP Extreme and I'm finding that the range isn't really cutting it, especially on the 5ghz band. Any feeback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ram