PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces iTunes Radio, Ad-Supported, Free for iTunes Match Subscribers

MacRumors
Jun 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-itunes-radio/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/itunes-radio.jpg (http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/itunes-radio.jpg)
Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/06/10Apple-Announces-iTunes-Radio.html) iTunes Radio today, a new internet radio service that is built into the Music app in iOS 7. The new feature offers music discovery through featured and genre stations provided by Apple or through the creation of new stations based on a specific artist or song.
iTunes Radio is an incredible way to listen to personalized radio stations which have been created just for you," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "It's the music you love most and the music you're going to love, and you can easily buy it from the iTunes Store with just one click.iTunes Radio keeps track of all of the songs listened to for easy access later for purchasing or repeat listening. iTunes Radio will also be available on Mac and PC through iTunes and Apple TV.

iTunes Radio will be available in the fall for free with ads while iTunes Match subscribers get an ad-free experience. The service will be available starting in the US only at first.

Article Link: Apple Announces iTunes Radio, Ad-Supported, Free for iTunes Match Subscribers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-itunes-radio/)

Marbles1
Jun 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Pointless feature. So many good quality radio apps. So many other services like last.fm or soundcloud (or even the pay for on mobile 'spotify).

iTunes Radio - what's its USP?

dugbug
Jun 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Looked good. I like that itunes match users got thrown a bone.

I loved yahoo launchcast back in the day. Look forward to trying this.

milo
Jun 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
Ad free for only 25 bucks a year is great. But can you select songs directly for playback, or just radio/playlist mode?

j-a-x
Jun 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
I dislike traditional radio but I am interested to try this out. Hopefully there's some non mainstream music on here, lots of variety in the type of channels etc.

sixstrings03
Jun 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
Pointless feature. So many good quality radio apps. So many other services like last.fm or soundcloud (or even the pay for on mobile 'spotify).

Agreed... Giant "eh..."

max53389
Jun 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
I probably will use this more than pandora or spotify radio since its integrated into the music app. Just what I think.

DaveNinja
Jun 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
I have iTunes Match anyways so i'll give it a try

MegamanX
Jun 10, 2013, 02:09 PM
so they finally make music match some what better but not that much better.

My money still says google music is better. Big time with All access.

tonyr6
Jun 10, 2013, 02:09 PM
Going to try it and I like how it is intergrated in the music app. I just hope it is not repeative like Slacker is which is pretty bad.

Plutonius
Jun 10, 2013, 02:11 PM

Who cares, it's free. If you don't like it, don't use it.

jonnysods
Jun 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
Pumped. I'm already a Match subscriber.

ck2875
Jun 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'm happy it's ad-free with iTunes Match.

AppleMark
Jun 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
It was more interesting than I was expecting. Ad free for the price of iTunes Match looked more appealing.

I currently do not subscribe to iTunes Match and so would need to wait until a UK release. However, if it is any good, then I may be persuaded to use Match, so there may be a point to it after all....

caf9128
Jun 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
What does Apple say the maximum sound quality will be?

There's a HUGE difference in music from Pandora, for instance, compared to mog, which streams at 320 kb. The Pandora sounds like condensed crap, the mog is almost CD quality.

neuropsychguy
Jun 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
Ad-free Pandora-ish music for $25 per year that is an added bonus to my existing Match services. What's not to like? This will certainly become my main music app (on my Mac - I have an Android-based phone).

Pandora is $36 per year and doesn't integrate with the 10,000+ songs I have in my iTunes library. Spotify is $5 per month and $10 per month if you want mobile access. Google's music service is $8 per month and $10 per month starting in July. Yes, Spotify and Google likely give you more control over individual songs but each type of service fulfills different purposes. I don't often have time to sit down and pick songs I want to play next.

FirstNTenderbit
Jun 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
They busted their humps to work out deals with the labels in time for WWDC and this is it? There has to be some hidden "one more thing" regarding iRadio. If not, I'm not quite sure what the fuss was about.:confused:

iKrl
Jun 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
Will it work based on the iTunes account or based on location? Will it stop working when on a trip abroad? :confused:

rmwebs
Jun 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
A big old MEH after all that.

Also - shock horror its US only.

madsci954
Jun 10, 2013, 02:32 PM
Called it!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17366118#post17366118

sixstrings03
Jun 10, 2013, 02:33 PM
They busted their humps to work out deals with the labels in time for WWDC and this is it? There has to be some hidden "one more thing" regarding iRadio. If not, I'm not quite sure what the fuss was about.:confused:
But wait - I thought people were trolls if they said this before the keynote?

cclloyd
Jun 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
I'm happy it's ad-free with iTunes Match.

Cheaper than the $8 a year of other services

lotzosushi
Jun 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
Have they kept the song limit? iTunes won't even let me sign up for iTunes match because I have too much music -_-

pedrotaquelim
Jun 10, 2013, 02:37 PM
This part is interesting:
"iTunes Radio keeps track of all of the songs listened to for easy access later for purchasing or repeat listening."

locoboi187
Jun 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
If we pay, will it be like pandora or like spotify? I hope it's like spotify

macgeek88
Jun 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
Really looking forward to this. Could be my Pandora replacement.

chrisrosemusic1
Jun 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
US only absolutely sucks.

DMaki650
Jun 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
Nevermind, please delete this post.

sitsonthefence
Jun 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
US only absolutely sucks.

In uk paying more than $25 as a match customer, I originally got a little excited and then realised I won't see it by Christmas.

Please apple give me radio by Christmas....

jtrenda33
Jun 10, 2013, 03:02 PM

I'm actually pretty excited about this. As an iTunes Match subscriber, I love the fact that I get the ad-free version at no extra charge. I mean, who likes having their music listening experience interrupted with ads every couple of songs? And who likes being limited to the number of tracks you can skip? And with it being available both on OS X and iOS, and the fact that iTunes is the largest digital music store, I think this makes it WAY better than Spotify, which I really liked until my free trial expired. For non-iTunes Match subscribers, you may have a point, but for those of us who do subscribe to iTunes Match, it's awesome.

----------

Ad free for only 25 bucks a year is great. But can you select songs directly for playback, or just radio/playlist mode?

Great question that I hope the answer to is yes you can play songs directly.

tatonka
Jun 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
I think this is awesome .. living in Germany we have considerably fewer good radio apps than in the US. So Apple would have the power to bring their product over the big pond ..

jtrenda33
Jun 10, 2013, 03:06 PM
It was more interesting than I was expecting. Ad free for the price of iTunes Match looked more appealing.

I currently do not subscribe to iTunes Match and so would need to wait until a UK release. However, if it is any good, then I may be persuaded to use Match, so there may be a point to it after all....

I think you should get Match...it's $25/year, which you barely feel because it's charged once a year and then you forget about the cost, which is incredibly low anyway for what you get...got some pirated music? (I don't), but if you do, you can just match it, delete your copy and download the legit copy. :D

samcraig
Jun 10, 2013, 03:08 PM
Someone is going to have to explain Apple's "hype" that iRadio is radio re-imagined. Re-imagined from what? 5-6 years ago? And yes - while I am being sarcastic - I mean that sincerely. Did I miss something that iRadio does that other services don't?

motulist
Jun 10, 2013, 03:09 PM
Pandora is great, but it has a LOT of functionality gaps that're sorely missing. From the screenshots it looks like iRadio *might* be the full-featured pandora that I've been wanting for a long time.

robertpetry
Jun 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
Do we have to wait for OSX Mavericks to get this in iTunes? or will it come with an iTunes update? I didn't hear that part.

nick727
Jun 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
I hope they play all music from their store. Wonder if CD Baby and Tunecore will have a separate opt in for this service.

fjguerra
Jun 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
Is it just me or some of the iPhones featured on the iTunes Radio page have borders with different colors? Maybe a hint for a future release?

Jookbox
Jun 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
I'm already using at least 3-4 other music apps, I'll pass. This brings nothing new to the table except it's restricted to apple platforms only.

MacDarcy
Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM

Pointless? Um...yeah, it will make listening to Pandora pointless if that's what ya mean. Lol. Seriously, how can you say iRadio is pointless? It's built into the Apple eco-system. It funnels listeners directly to iTunes to purchase music from...um...APPLE. Hello?! Pointless? Hardly. Did you miss the part where Apple said SIRI voice control would be integrated into 95% of auto companies? Guess so. Savvy move by Apple.

I currently listen to Pandora, but will make the switch to iRadio soon as its available. I have iTunes Match, so no more annoying ads YAY!

I do still have SIRIUSXM in my car because they have all the content besides music that I love. My dream would be if Apple bought out SIRIUS. If they did, Apple would literally OWN the car market for audio entertainment! :-)

nosaj72
Jun 10, 2013, 03:33 PM
Is it just me or some of the iPhones featured on the iTunes Radio page have borders with different colors? Maybe a hint for a future release?

Those are ipods.

dakwar
Jun 10, 2013, 03:38 PM
For me one of the best parts of the radio is the host speaking in-between the tracks with interesting tidbits. It doesn't look like iTunes Radio has that.

lars666
Jun 10, 2013, 03:39 PM
Have they kept the song limit? iTunes won't even let me sign up for iTunes match because I have too much music -_-

Dito! Same here!

musio
Jun 10, 2013, 03:40 PM
so no reason to give up my spotify account

lars666
Jun 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
For me one of the best parts of the radio is the host speaking in-between the tracks with interesting tidbits. It doesn't look like iTunes Radio has that.

Yeah, I am also disappointed they didn't work out the deal with DJ Timmy "Cookie" Cook and Morning Show Ive. No deal for me!

MegamanX
Jun 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
Ad-free Pandora-ish music for $25 per year that is an added bonus to my existing Match services. What's not to like? This will certainly become my main music app (on my Mac - I have an Android-based phone).

Pandora is $36 per year and doesn't integrate with the 10,000+ songs I have in my iTunes library. Spotify is $5 per month and $10 per month if you want mobile access. Google's music service is $8 per month and $10 per month starting in July. Yes, Spotify and Google likely give you more control over individual songs but each type of service fulfills different purposes. I don't often have time to sit down and pick songs I want to play next.

I expect this will cause Google to drop its price a fair amount. I am not going to complain about that.

dakwar
Jun 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I am also disappointed they didn't work out the deal with DJ Timmy "Cookie" Cook and Morning Show Ive. No deal for me!

Did I hit a nerve?

neuropsychguy
Jun 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
I expect this will cause Google to drop its price a fair amount. I am not going to complain about that.

I sure hope so! I'd probably subscribe it Google did.

beaniemyman
Jun 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
hmmm...looks nice, the price plan is mindblowing.
i'll surely watch the "iradio vs pandora" and "iradio vs spotify" comparisons and if iradio is up to my mark i'll definitely get it.

lars666
Jun 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
Did I hit a nerve?

No, you just provoked a winking-eye answer. Did you really believe that iTunes Radio will turn out like an old school radio station with a host?

dakwar
Jun 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
Not, you just provoked a winking-eye answer. Did you really believe that iTunes Radio will turn out like an old school radio station with a host?

Nope. I'm just saying maybe they shouldn't have used "Radio" in the name. ;)

hurley999jb
Jun 10, 2013, 04:12 PM

I am a premium Spotify user and have been since the beginning. If iTunes Radio has a similar music catalogue it would beat out Spotify from a pricing perspective by a long shot. Will be interesting to see what types of content deals Apple closes by the release date.

lars666
Jun 10, 2013, 04:19 PM

Spotify Radio (within Spotify), Pandora Radio (directly in the name) etc. ALL use the term "radio" for the same type of delivering music... But never mind, not worthy to discuss about this. I love both kinds of radio, "real" one with a good host (like Bob Dylans radio show or Sirius Underground Garage) and the Internet kind of thing without a host to discover more good music.

scpt
Jun 10, 2013, 04:20 PM

They did that probably to imply that you cannot actually select the song you want to play...meaning its more pandora-like and not spotify-like.

I never expected something spotify-like, where you can actually save the songs offline if you are on the $9.99/month plan. That will directly eat into the iTunes music sales revenue.

darkknight14
Jun 10, 2013, 04:23 PM

I agree with you.

I was looking for play any song, anytime, on any device kind of features. Maybe this will follow "later".

furqan8421
Jun 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
Not overly excited as I have spotify and prefer the way it works

Two questions I do have: will streaming quality be in at least 256kbps? Can you listen to uncensored songs?

Yixian
Jun 10, 2013, 04:43 PM
In uk paying more than $25 as a match customer, I originally got a little excited and then realised I won't see it by Christmas.

Considering the three big labels on board are multi-national there was no excuse not to launch it at least in Europe, Canada and Oz etc. along with US.

jdechko
Jun 10, 2013, 04:57 PM
I'll echo the statements that I'm glad it's ad-free for Match subscribers.

I also hope that individual songs can be selected. I think there are still quite a few questions to be answered about the way it works. Apple's announcement wasn't quite clear. They said there would be preset playlists/ stations but you could also create new stations. They also said that the play history is kept so you can listen to/ purchase a specific song.

I'm a little surprised about the way Apple did the announcement though. It seems like something that should have either a) waited until the fall event to be announced or b) shipped immediately (or shortly) after the announcement.

SockRolid
Jun 10, 2013, 04:58 PM
iTunes Radio will be available in the fall for free with ads while iTunes Match subscribers get an ad-free experience.

I knew there was a reason why I never bothered to use Pandora.
I might give streaming radio a try, with iTunes Radio.

Plutonius
Jun 10, 2013, 04:58 PM

It's up to the record labels to agree to this before it's offered elsewhere.

Zachari
Jun 10, 2013, 05:01 PM

That would be blue iPod touches.

otismotive77
Jun 10, 2013, 05:02 PM
I probably will use this more than pandora or spotify radio since its integrated into the music app. Just what I think.

yep, i also think it'd be faster and smoother than competitors because it'd be deeply integrated, which is enough for me to switch to this app.

Plutonius
Jun 10, 2013, 05:02 PM
Considering the three big labels on board are multi-national there was no excuse not to launch it at least in Europe, Canada and Oz etc. along with US.

Different contracts which is why it took so long to get iTunes in many of the countries outside of the US. If it works out well for the labels, I'm sure it will launch outside the US at a later date.

marko23
Jun 10, 2013, 05:04 PM
anyone notice the colored iPhones in the iTunes radio section on apple.com?
5s maybe? ;)

randfee2
Jun 10, 2013, 05:17 PM
NOT great. Why only in the US, why always this restriction? What kind of sense does that make, it's the internet, it's not some physical good that needs to be shipped first!

stupid!

jdechko
Jun 10, 2013, 05:36 PM
anyone notice the colored iPhones in the iTunes radio section on apple.com?
5s maybe? ;)

It's an iPod touch. Note the lack of mute switch above the volume buttons, which are also shaped different from the iPhone's in the picture below.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

MagnumOP
Jun 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
The pink color of iTunes Radio is terrible. People will not buy as much if the button is red/pink. Also, red/pink will make people think the content is explicit.

4TheLoveOfTech
Jun 10, 2013, 05:45 PM

With Google Play you get offline playback of any song in the playstore including entire albums.

iTunes Radio is streaming only.

What happens if you are don't have in Internet connection? You're on a plane, your travelling outside the US, the power in your house goes off during a storm.
-----
Pandora can be played on my Smart TV, my Dish Network Receiver, my Mobile Phone, my Tablet, my Receiver and my computer. It's not limited to iDevices.

Deedlez
Jun 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
Wow, that was a big surprise. I've somehow avoided all the Last.FM, Spotify things. Will probably give this a go, because the Apple logo tattoo on my forehead is glowing (:apple:). Cannot... resist...

bbeagle
Jun 10, 2013, 06:11 PM
With Google Play you get offline playback of any song in the playstore including entire albums.

What happens if you are don't have in Internet connection? You're on a plane, your travelling outside the US, the power in your house goes off during a storm.
-----
Pandora can be played on my Smart TV, my Dish Network Receiver, my Mobile Phone, my Tablet, my Receiver and my computer. It's not limited to iDevices.

And Google Play is $10/month while iTunes Radio is $2.08 a month. Big difference.

I've used free Pandora, and I'll try this for free. If I really like it, it's worth the $25 a year for no ads.

boss1
Jun 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
What most seem to not realize is that the subtle integration of a radio service within an existing platform is huge. Looks like a lot of people where expecting a stand alone app with bells whistles, and a fanfare announcement?

The genius behind iTunes Radio is that, whether you agree with it or not, it's a choice you have within your existing device and you'll probably end up using even if you pay Pandora, Spotify & Google. ;)

Other criticism is based on U.S. only release. It's not up to Apple! it's solely (for the most part) not up to Sony or UMG etc.. Publishing rights, licensing & distribution is a bit more complex and individual publishers, record labels, will decide whether they want their content streamed to this new service & "where" in due time..... have a little patience.

Luscious
Jun 10, 2013, 07:19 PM
Someone is going to have to explain Apple's "hype" that iRadio is radio re-imagined. Re-imagined from what? 5-6 years ago? And yes - while I am being sarcastic - I mean that sincerely. Did I miss something that iRadio does that other services don't?

It's ad-free for existing iTunes Match users. That's about the extent of it. I'm already a match user so I'll likely use this over Pandora but that's the only reason why. Otherwise I see nothing this does that other services don't.

SBlue1
Jun 10, 2013, 07:23 PM

I never bothered using Spotify or any other radio apps. Last.fm was close but not exactly what I wanted. Now iTunes Radio will be great if it is what I think it is: Genius for radio! Just select a song from my library or type a song I don't have yet and it plays songs that are similar. Can't wait to see how it works.

And with just a little over 2 bucks a month this is a no brainer! I was expecting something in the range of 10 or 15 per month.

Thomas Davie
Jun 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
I've got iTunes Match, but even when it comes to Canada I don't see using iRadio. It just isn't what I want; which is on demand music of what I want to hear. This is why I stopped listening to the radio back in 1990.

I'll give it a shot since it's free if it ever comes to Canada if I keep iTunes Match, but I've already got free music built into my home receiver.

Shrug.

Tom

3rdiguy
Jun 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
This is a Pandora-killer for me. I'm a iTunes Match subscriber and soon as iOS 7 drops in dropping Pandora.

techmangonewild
Jun 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
What does Apple say the maximum sound quality will be?

There's a HUGE difference in music from Pandora, for instance, compared to mog, which streams at 320 kb. The Pandora sounds like condensed crap, the mog is almost CD quality.

I guess we're the only audiophiles posting regarding quality. I would imagine that the stream will be 128k, the same as the normal song downloaded from iTunes. Nevertheless, I will sign up because, I'm sure this will integrate really well with my iOS devices and my Mac, but not holding my breath that it will replace my music server to which I listen on my home system.

urbanslaughter
Jun 10, 2013, 08:55 PM
The huge advantage Apple has over any other streaming music service is that they already know everything I like. They could tap into my playlists and create radio stations that extended my favorite playlists. They could use my existing song ratings and create stations that they know I'll also love. I was really surprised to see nothing like this with iTunes Radio. With all that metadata, I'm sure it will come later as it become more widely used.

ftaok
Jun 10, 2013, 09:55 PM
I guess we're the only audiophiles posting regarding quality. I would imagine that the stream will be 128k, the same as the normal song downloaded from iTunes.
iTunes songs have been 256k for years now. Not that audiophiles would consider 256k ideal.

thefourthpope
Jun 10, 2013, 10:35 PM

I wonder if Pandora One ($36/year) will be prompted to drop their prices. I love that service, and though the $11 difference isn't enough to make me switch, it would be nice.

----------

There's a HUGE difference in music from Pandora, for instance, compared to mog, which streams at 320 kb.

Never heard of mog before your comment. Signing up now...

Plutonius
Jun 10, 2013, 10:54 PM
I wonder if Pandora One ($36/year) will be prompted to drop their prices. I love that service, and though the $11 difference isn't enough to make me switch, it would be nice.

Maybe you should try it out first before you decide (when it comes out). The ad based Apple radio will be free so you will be able to get an idea if you like it.

Plutonius
Jun 10, 2013, 11:07 PM

-----

They just announced it and nobody yet knows the specifics. Save all your complaints until after it is released and you know exactly what it will do.

Note - I can currently play my iTunes music through Plex on my Roku (you don't need an iDevice). It is possible that Plex will eventually support Apple radio.

SpaceKitty
Jun 10, 2013, 11:46 PM

Yes. They demoed it by searching for and playing Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin.

urbanslaughter
Jun 11, 2013, 07:00 AM
Yes. They demoed it by searching for and playing Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin.

No, they demoed it by playing Led Zeppelin. Whole Lotta Love just happened to be the song that came up.

4mat
Jun 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
US only. Typical. Why do the music, TV and movie industries make it difficult for me to give them money. They are aware that other currencies are woth something?

Plutonius
Jun 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
It's ad-free for existing iTunes Match users. That's about the extent of it. I'm already a match user so I'll likely use this over Pandora but that's the only reason why. Otherwise I see nothing this does that other services don't.

Don't you like the ability in the Apple radio for unlimited skips of the songs you don't want to hear. In Pandora, you can only skip a set amount of songs / hour. To me, this is one of the best features of Apple Radio compared to Pandora. If the streaming musics libraries are comparable, I can see many people switching from Pandora to Apple Radio.

Edit: I just read that the Apple Radio only allows 6 skips / hour. Needless to say, I'm disappointed :(.

----------

US only. Typical. Why do the music, TV and movie industries make it difficult for me to give them money. They are aware that other currencies are woth something?

The initial launch is US only. If it does well, I'm sure the other countries will be getting it.

thefourthpope
Jun 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
Maybe you should try it out first before you decide (when it comes out). The ad based Apple radio will be free so you will be able to get an idea if you like it.

Absolutely. I meant that the discounted ad-free price was not going to make me switch just for that. If its a better service, that's a different matter. But if iradio is not better, I'm hoping it will at least have pandora thinking of dropping their own price.

PDXoPDX
Jun 11, 2013, 03:32 PM
Neat, a marketing tool to drive iTunes downloads. No option to unlock unlimited skips, DJ'd radio streams, skip to specific albums/artists/songs on demand. Blech!

This is a largely duplicative service that, at best, puts Apple on par with Pandora.

Razeus
Jan 7, 2014, 10:32 AM
I dropped my Pandora subscription for iTunes Radio. Much better, one less app to keep up with, one less account to keep up with, cheaper, and fully integrated with all my iOS/Apple stuff.