PDA

View Full Version : The Safari icon.

TC03
Jun 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
I dunno. The UI seems fresh. The icons, not so sure. Especially the Safari icon is just, unfinished?

http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/12384/j39e_77emm15.png

The white space is just weird.

jabingla2810
Jun 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
I dunno. The UI seems fresh. The icons, not so sure. Especially the Safari icon is just, unfinished?

Image (http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/12384/j39e_77emm15.png)

I'm amazed at how far they pushed the boat out, and as a whole it looks great.

But that icon is terrible.

PBF
Jun 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
The Safari icon ruins everything.

GoGa
Jun 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
I agree. It is only a beta though, so they can easily change it.

humar
Jun 10, 2013, 02:13 PM
I do not agree with any of these icons. :(

jonnyb098
Jun 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
The interface and functionality is great but the icons are horribly executed. Looks like cartoony fisher price crap. Weather app looks exactly like the new yahoo app.

Jamesesesesess
Jun 10, 2013, 02:20 PM
It would look better if it didn't have the white background. It looks very unfitting next to the other 3 icons.

Really, none of the icons flow. You have Photos and Game Center with their simplistic blob design, then you have Stocks and Compass being almost completely black, then you have iTunes, App Stores, Music, etc. with simple gradients, then you have Settings which is just a total mess. I find it hard to believe that this is the best that Jony could come up with.

Grolubao
Jun 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
The interface and functionality is great but the icons are horribly executed. Looks like cartoony fisher price crap. Weather app looks exactly like the new yahoo app.

Ditto! Couldn't say it better

In the end it's just the icons, I'm not too bothered, but they look cheap and amateur considering the rest of the UI

chrf097
Jun 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
Other than the Music app, I think they all look great. It doesn't throw off any more than the current icons do. The only issue I have is that the Music app just is a shade of red/orange that I don't like.

seble
Jun 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
To be honest, I hate those icons, and a couple of app interfaces, but on the whole I like it!

I hate that safari icon though!
And I wish they could've brought some form of animation, such as having the gears ocassionaly spin when an update was available, have the weather app change colour depending on the weather, that sorta thing! Oh well always ios 8 ;)

applesith
Jun 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Not a fan of all the gradients in the icons, but Safari is the absolute worst in my opinion.

springsup
Jun 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
Newsstand, too.

It does look kind of unfinished. A coloured background would be much better.

seetheforest
Jun 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
The icons are complete dog crap. So many mock-ups were better. I wonder if Cupertino will get the message that they just served up a steaming pile by way of their icon design.

F123D
Jun 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
All the white icons look unfinished. I agree with the Fisher Price comment.

I'd rather just stick with the current look.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/7/7d/20130219005213!IOS_6_Home_Screen.png

applesith
Jun 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
The more I look at these, the more they look like icons for some freeware. Newsstand, Safari, Settings, Game Center and the Stores are my least favorite.

Really, what's going on with Game Center? It's glossy van-diagram.

carfac
Jun 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
looks like kindergardener did it.

nooaah
Jun 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think it'll be different before the GM release.

1member1
Jun 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
Game center is the worst...

cambookpro
iOS 7 seems like a transition OS. On one hand, you have tons of new features, a new way of using the OS, making it much more powerful and useful than iOS 6.

On the other, the icons and graphics look like they've been knocked up quickly in Paint and lack the polish of iOS 6.

iOS 6 was five years in the making: this feels like a fresh new start, and I'd presume that iOS 8 will give back the polish that we're used to.

Of course, I could be wrong and they change it all in the beta, but it definitely feels like iOS is in a middle stage right now.

Fed
I despise the Newsstand app. It looks awful and I can't even delete it. More importantly, it adds one extra barrier to The Economist app. Incredibly irritating for something that serves no function.

At least the new one loses the horrible colour. But frankly, I just want to delete it.

mojohojo
Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
Liking all the UI and app redesigns shown; but the icons are just much worse than existing ones.

Safari - white border :(
Camera - from a simplistic lens icon to a flat camera icon :(

There's too much white and vibrant colors per icon that it looks like candy crush.
It's much harder to find a specific app you are looking for when's there's so much bold colors everywhere.

Would have been great to leave forstall skeumorphic icons, and only change the UI to Ives flat designs.

naltst*
Jun 10, 2013, 03:34 PM

I remember saying this about maps a year ago!

lewismayell
Jun 10, 2013, 03:37 PM
It's taking an idea from the chrome icon I assume, the black background with the circle icon in the middle

Ram27
Jun 10, 2013, 03:39 PM
I trust Ive and co know what they're doing, and it'll probably just take a few days to accept it.

But Newsstand and Safari are bad. Really bad.

Calendar seems like it's missing something.

They should've just made the old camera flatter.

Too many different colors that don't really flow.

Music should be lighter orange/red.

ddeadserious
Jun 10, 2013, 03:39 PM
I think people are forgetting that modern [graphic and UI] design is headed toward flat designs and minimalism. The older icons looked more polished because they have a ton of skeumorphism and all kinds of glossy effects added to make them look like bubbles. In 2007 when the iPhone was first released, design was full of gloss and drop shadows and complex things, now, it simply isn't. This is Apple keeping up with the times and trends of design, and I welcome it. iOS is getting very stale and looks nearly identical to how it did in 2007. Stop being afraid of change, Apple would eventually lose a lot of customers(myself included) if they didn't update the UI in a significant way.

Ram27
Jun 10, 2013, 03:40 PM
I think part of the problem also is that it's so new and futuristic and so similar to what you've seen in so many mockups that you really need to get it on your phone in person in reality and try it out.

MVallee
Jun 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
I like the rest of the icons but Safari looks unfinished. I think it's the white space around the circle that throws it off.

ct2k7
Jun 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
I think people are forgetting that modern [graphic and UI] design is headed toward flat designs and minimalism. The older icons looked more polished because they have a ton of skeumorphism and all kinds of glossy effects added to make them look like bubbles. In 2007 when the iPhone was first released, design was full of gloss and drop shadows and complex things, now, it simply isn't. This is Apple keeping up with the times and trends of design, and I welcome it. iOS is getting very stale and looks nearly identical to how it did in 2007. Stop being afraid of change, Apple would eventually lose a lot of customers(myself included) if they didn't update the UI in a significant way.

Flat designs and minimalism can look finished. Look at how Windows 8 / WP does it. That looks finished.

mazz0
Jun 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
I despise the Newsstand app. It looks awful and I can't even delete it. More importantly, it adds one extra barrier to The Economist app. Incredibly irritating for something that serves no function.

At least the new one loses the horrible colour. But frankly, I just want to delete it.

To be fair, if the Economist app used the auto downloading properly then at least being in Newsstand would serve a purpose.

ddeadserious
Jun 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Flat designs and minimalism can look finished. Look at how Windows 8 / WP does it. That looks finished.

Agreed, but it's difficult to go from seeing an overly complex icon/logo(such as most of the current icons) to a minimalist icon in the same vein. They end up looking unfinished because you're so used to seeing the icon with all kinds of details, and now there are none. We'll all adjust, and I'm sure some changes will be made prior to release.

Fed
Jun 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
To be fair, if the Economist app used the auto downloading properly then at least being in Newsstand would serve a purpose.

I'll give you that.

These days I tend to use Safari for most of my news intake. Clicking through bookmarks to access the BBC, Guardian and the like is easier than separate apps. However the Economist app does everything I want, perfectly. Only it's behind that stupid Newsstand icon.

Perhaps it'll annoy me less with the redesign.

ct2k7
Jun 10, 2013, 04:01 PM
Agreed, but it's difficult to go from seeing an overly complex icon/logo(such as most of the current icons) to a minimalist icon in the same vein. They end up looking unfinished because you're so used to seeing the icon with all kinds of details, and now there are none. We'll all adjust, and I'm sure some changes will be made prior to release.

I certainly agree - it's going to be something to stomach.

sam.walker22
Jun 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
i absolutely love the new ui and all the new features, literally now comes with everything i used to jailbreak my phone to get, but i hate pretty much all the icons apart from photos and game centre

Frankied22
Jun 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
Googles new design language > Apples new design.

musio
Jun 10, 2013, 04:12 PM
agree with the fisher price comments!

MacBookPro13"
Jun 10, 2013, 04:15 PM
Can all change over the next 3-4 months. They will use the feedback from Dev's to make the necessary changes.

.Asa
Jun 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
I hate the safari, newsstand, and music icons.
Game Center actually looks quite nice.

rmwebs
Jun 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
I hate the safari, newsstand, and music icons.
Game Center actually looks quite nice.

The only thing I dont like is how gamecenter is glossy and the rest arent...surely gamecenter should be flat, like the Photos icon :confused:

AbSoluTc
Jun 10, 2013, 04:38 PM

Please stop using that word. You know what word I'm talking about. You have no idea what it is or why it even exists other than you saw it online and now you're throwing it around like you know something.

You can have flat and modern with effects. It's done every day.

Reach9
Jun 10, 2013, 04:42 PM
I absolutely agree. I really like the overall functionality and UI of iOS 7.

But they did a bad job with the icons, like really? Even I can do a better job at designing better Flat UI icons. What were they thinking?

The icons that i cannot stand are:

-Photos
-Camera
-Reminders
-Stocks
-Newsstand
-Settings
-Safari

Also, did anyone else feel like the back arrow button in the UI was too big compared to the text?

These icons look like they were done years ago. Nothing modern about it. It's very much possible to make a modern looking minimal flat UI.

I beg every single developer to complain to Apple about the icons! Please share this with any developers you know who feel the same!

diogolg
Jun 10, 2013, 04:45 PM
Not a fan on those new icons eitherů Hope they improve it a little by final release

BluAffiliate
Jun 10, 2013, 04:46 PM
This is the worst thing apple has done.

Jun 10, 2013, 04:47 PM

Only if enough people complain to them about it. I like everything I've seen so far except the icons. Flat is one thing but these are just cartoonish looking. I thought the ones on Android were bad...

skippymac
Jun 10, 2013, 04:52 PM
It's all growing on me to be honest. I hate the game center icon, but it's way better than before, the camera icon doesn't seem to fit in and I have no idea what's going on with the compass, but to be honest the rest (even safari) aren't that bad.

Plus I use chrome. :rolleyes:

unobtainium
Jun 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
The one I really don't like is Settings. I don't even know what it's supposed to look like. Nothing, I guess?

skippymac
Jun 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
Oh, and the stores look stupid now too, they need to at least remove the circles.

HarryPot
Jun 10, 2013, 04:58 PM
Also the extremely big circles in the Store apps, they just look out of place.

As many, I love almost all the changes they made, but the icons are just weird, and in some cases, ugly.

I think Jony Ive is an incredible designer, but sometimes I think the genius was in the combination of Jobs and Ive together. It seems that so strong personalities and opinions don't do well when alone, and need a counterpart.

Nikos
Jun 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
The Safari icon actually looks very nice, IMO. The low resolution image you're using doesn't do it justice.

MasterHowl
Jun 10, 2013, 05:15 PM
Those icons make me want to vomit.

The iTunes/App Store icons are hideous. The circles are just far too big...

seble
Jun 10, 2013, 05:17 PM
No no no, those icons simply won't do! If I was heading up apple I would have rejected them immediately, most of the icons I dislike compared to the ones I do like. I've seen mockups with better icons.

Zaid
Jun 10, 2013, 05:18 PM
The Safari icon actually looks very nice, IMO. The low resolution image you're using doesn't do it justice.

I agree. When I first saw them on the low res streamed keynote, they looked pretty damn awful.

Watch the iOS7 video in high res or check out the high res pictures on the apple website and they look much much better.

The safari icon in the keynote made my eyes bleed, but looking at the high res pics (which is akin to what they'd look like on a Retina screen) the whole thing starts to make more sense. The colour pallete works and frankly some of the icons are pretty good.

I really like the Photos icon. And the Calendar, Notes, Reminders and Contacts icons.

I think all the icons with the big circle (Safari, iTunes, AppStore) the circle is too big relative to the size of the square, which makes it look a bit odd. That said, their overall design and colour scheme is pretty nice.

TommyA6
Jun 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
Absolutely love the new UI and all the other features in iOS 7. I like the majority of the app icons (Stocks app is is too black maybe, and I've not yet decided on the safari one, but there is no app that looks hideous to me, far from it). And, after all this is just the first beta, so they can easily tweak some app icons by the time it ships (that, unlike maps thing, is really simple and certainly possible to do in several weeks). :D

All in all, iOS 7 = :eek: :D
:apple:

Jett0516
Jun 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
It looks alright to me. I find the mail and settings icon to be the worst.

Bathplug
Jun 10, 2013, 05:46 PM
I dislike most of these new app icons :-(

Defiantpz
Jun 10, 2013, 06:05 PM
That safari icon...

Masquerade
Jun 10, 2013, 06:56 PM

Image (http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/12384/j39e_77emm15.png)

Why theres 2 compasses icons anyway? Why safari have needle

bumblebritches5
Jun 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
I'm the opposite, I like the new icons, but the other UI is just terrible, especially the damn notification center, Like, I like the transparency, but it's just SO Android-esque ugh.

xcodeaddict
I do not agree with any of these icons. :(

Apple don't expect you to agree - they push, you pull, or you fall off the edge into Androland!

ajvizzgamer101

Safari, Settings and Newsstand all bother me. The others look great.

Evoken
Jun 10, 2013, 07:24 PM
I don't like the new icons, less of all the Safari icon. The whole group of icon looks inconsistent too, as if they were not following an established set of guidelines for them.

Jollins
Jun 10, 2013, 07:36 PM
I'm honestly very surprised by how much I dislike the new look, and was very excited for iOS7 initially. I'm trying to warm up to it, but I just think its ugly. Flat design is OK in doses... I think Google Apps on android take flat as far as it should go, with Windows 8 taking waaaay beyond the "cold and soul-less" point. iOS is now in that territory.

H. Flower
Jun 10, 2013, 07:56 PM
You can tell they really rushed to get this out - what a mess.

Can't believe anyone would choose this over the current look (with tasteful wallpaper).

Ram27
Jun 10, 2013, 09:21 PM
Seriously; if you set a screenshot as your homescreen background and actually look at it lifesized it's pretty nice.

BlueGummiBear
Jun 10, 2013, 10:33 PM
At least you can put Newsstand in a folder now.

My favorite icons are the Calendar and Photos app icons. The hands on the Clock app icon move but the time doesn't match the system time. Pointless.

Jimbo47
Jun 10, 2013, 11:43 PM
These icons are hideous. I really hope they get changed by the final release.

Eso
Jun 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
On one hand, you have tons of new features, a new way of using the OS, making it much more powerful and useful than iOS 6.

I think you use it exactly the same. Multitasking a little different, but the WebOS-method of flipping through apps is terrible. It works OK when it's only open, running apps like it was on WebOS. On iOS though, it's just all your recent apps. It was much better when you could immediately switch to the 3rd or 4th recent apps with a single tap. Now you have to swipe through one by one.

It's ironic that they improved tab switching in Safari but then "upgrading" multitasking to the same, inferior way in which Safari tabs used to work.

cambookpro
Jun 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
I think you use it exactly the same. Multitasking a little different, but the WebOS-method of flipping through apps is terrible. It works OK when it's only open, running apps like it was on WebOS. On iOS though, it's just all your recent apps. It was much better when you could immediately switch to the 3rd or 4th recent apps with a single tap. Now you have to swipe through one by one.

It's ironic that they improved tab switching in Safari but then "upgrading" multitasking to the same, inferior way in which Safari tabs used to work.

I think it's got a lot easier - a lot more focus on staying in the app than hopping around to settings etc.

humar
Jun 11, 2013, 03:19 AM
At least you can put Newsstand in a folder now.

My favorite icons are the Calendar and Photos app icons. The hands on the Clock app icon move but the time doesn't match the system time. Pointless.

Just go into settings, general, clock and activate the last option. Wait a second then switch off your device. Once you'll boot your phone again clock will show you right time on th icon. Happened to me.