PDA

View Full Version : [General] iOS 7 beta 1 thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

VacTacks11
Jun 11, 2013, 07:50 AM
Anyone else missing the Alert Style buttons? Not showing for any of the notifications

Jonowells1
Jun 11, 2013, 08:00 AM
Anyone else not getting push notifications through on Twitter?

JetBlack7
Jun 11, 2013, 08:05 AM
There are animated backgrounds! Neat!

BUT you can really feel that this is a beta. Not very polished. Animations are too slow in my opinion, so the overall interface feels slow.

Definitely needs more polish!

That makes me sad :(

That's one thing I love the most about iOS: the smoothness of the transitions and overall navigation.

Don't worry, it's still beta 1. Developers will give feedback to Apple and within time, in each beta they release, they will improve the smoothness of IOS. It happened in previous versions, it will happen with this one aswell. ;)

Jacoblee23
Jun 11, 2013, 09:11 AM
The main thing that I don't like is it seems really jerky when opening a folder. That's just a common beta problem I am sure. Overall, I am enjoying it. I just wish my eBay app would still work.

Fed
Jun 11, 2013, 09:12 AM
I never understand why people title their thread with 'thread'.

mchart
Jun 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
Beyond the stuff that has been mentioned the serious bug I've found is relating to music.

-Unable to put new songs from the desktop to the iPhone. iTunes lets me drag the songs onto the iphone, but instead of uploading the songs will just sit there doing nothing and the song will appear greyed out on the list in iTunes like it is still being uploaded - but it isn't.

Meanwhile, on the iPhone itself if you download using the iTunes store app it will download the song fine, but the cover art in the search menu's will be of a different song, and change every time you refresh the page.

Basically, there are some serious issues with the music app and with iTunes currently.

Mind you, this could be because I did an 'upgrade' instead of a restore. Because of this maybe there is a conflict with the old music playlists on there.

Other then that, works pretty good on my iPhone 5.

My banking app has some mild display issues, but it works good enough where it isn't a problem.

All the games I have work just fine as well. I suspect most games will work with iOS 7 without many problems since most draw their own menu's and what not.

phr0ze
Jun 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
Op here, dont forget to post and bugs and glitches you guys encounter. thanks

Op, don't forget to update the first post. 20 pages of how do I download this or how do I steal this to get to useful bits.

mchart
Jun 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
Op, don't forget to update the first post. 20 pages of how do I download this or how do I steal this to get to useful bits.

Yeah, it would be nice if the mods cleaned all the **** out of this thread.

Cod3rror
Jun 11, 2013, 09:23 AM
Oh my god, the calendar has become the worst EVER!!

1) In month view (where you see all the days in the month), you can't see if there is an event on that day. All days looks the same (in iOS 6, there was a dot on that date if there was an event).
2) WHEN you click a day, it automatically turns to day-view, where you need to scroll up and down to view the events. Prior to iOS 7, when tapping a day, you got a list of all events that day. No longer! You have to scroll through the whole day to see the events.

This is just sad......

That's bad!

GSewall350
Jun 11, 2013, 09:29 AM
Is anyone else really enjoying iTunes Radio? I understand there is essentially no difference between it and Pandora. But, as with most Apple products, having seamless integration really makes for a good experience. I like being able to purchase songs right from the music app.

lewismayell
Jun 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
Really loving this 'Control Centre' I'm adjusting brightness and turning on/off Airplane mode easily, unlike previously

Cayennr
Jun 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
Device: iPhone 5 16GB A1429

#1 — Messages.app: The message bubbles overlay “Sent as Text Message.” (http://i.imgur.com/lIxVkqy.jpg)
#2 — There is no way to escape from Dictionary when you define a word (and when you press the arrows nothing happens). (http://i.imgur.com/JvhJPD1.jpg)
#3 — The DND moon icon doesn’t show up in Notification Center.

rtomyj
Jun 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
Is anyone else really enjoying iTunes Radio? I understand there is essentially no difference between it and Pandora. But, as with most Apple products, having seamless integration really makes for a good experience. I like being able to purchase songs right from the music app.

Was listening to it last night and 10 songs later got my first commercial. Not very bothersome and heck I don't remember what it was. 5 or so later I got my second one but it was saying I was listening to iTunes radio... Overall, awesome!

immemorial
Jun 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
I really like the look of iOS7, although every time I look at it, it strikes me as The Legend of iOS: The Wind Waker.

Bill Killer
Jun 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
Overall, I like the look and feel of iOS 7, and other than some glitches and stutter issues (which I presume will be taken care of over time), it's a welcome upgrade.

However, some big issues:

-More color contrast and lime definition needed in Messages interface
-Calendar interface needs retooling. I want to see events I have in a day, but the hourly breakdown if I select a day.
-More color contrast and line definition needed in text against light backgrounds (particularly app names).
-Add option for quicker screen turnoff, similar to that of iOS 1-6

finalcut
Jun 11, 2013, 10:37 AM
Apple Developer website is saying 24 hours to send code by email so I can download and install ios7 beta 1. Is it really 24 hours you guys usually receive it faster?

iBreatheApple
Jun 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
I miss my Tap To Tweet and Tap To Post buttons. :(

wildonrio
Jun 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
iOS 6 beta was one of the most stable betas out there.

That's cause they didn't change much of anything from iOS 5.

msz7
Jun 11, 2013, 10:52 AM
how do I go back to iOS 6 from iOS7??

XboxMySocks
Jun 11, 2013, 10:56 AM
That's cause they didn't change much of anything from iOS 5.

Totally true! Just saying :)

finalcut
Jun 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
how do I go back to iOS 6 from iOS7??

Search in google for entering your device in DFU-mode

rockyroad55
Jun 11, 2013, 11:01 AM

Except all the songs are clean versions. But yes I love it.

mcfly88
Jun 11, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hoping they add more options to the music app, not really liking the albums being sorted by year.

rockyroad55
Jun 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
Hoping you can switch up the control center buttons. I actually want a location services toggle.

jozeppy26
Jun 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
Organizing your apps via iTunes causes folders with more than 9 apps to kick out the 10th+ app in the folder to a new page.

Cgdoc519
Jun 11, 2013, 01:18 PM

Agreed! I am so far very pleased with iTunes radio. It's very simple and I love being able to swipe up from and screen and like or dislike a song.

----------

I miss my Tap To Tweet and Tap To Post buttons. :(

I was thinking the same thing last night. I went to post a tweet and was like "wait a minute....." Its ok though, still enjoying it.

billchase2
Jun 11, 2013, 01:35 PM
You can dismiss notifications by swiping up.

Great tip. Thanks!

Prabas
Jun 11, 2013, 01:55 PM
So, I've managed to crash Springboard 3-5 times while moving apps inside a folder. Apps crashed about 5 times. Everything happened in about 5 hours.

• Some UI elements are not properly placed, they overlay each other.
• While scrolling, on Safari, buttons re-appear randomly.
• If you want to shut down your phone, there are black bars, like in old apps, that weren't updated for 4" screen.
• There's no weather in NC, I wonder why…

Let's hope to see Beta 2 soon.

anshuvorty
Jun 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
So, I've managed to crash Springboard 3-5 times while moving apps inside a folder. Apps crashed about 5 times. Everything happened in about 5 hours.

• If you want to shut down your phone, there are black bars, like in old apps, that weren't updated for 4" screen.

chill man...its only been 1 day since the beta has been released. The GM will be released in the fall, so don't expect a beta for another 1-2 more months.

3bs
Jun 11, 2013, 04:13 PM

For weather to show up in the NC you have to have location services enabled for the weather app. I hope they change this in the future.

Prabas
Jun 11, 2013, 04:34 PM
I am just hoping to see it soon. I am calm :D

It is enabled, I get some kind of weather for my Calendar events, but nothing like in iOS 6, current conditions and one week forecast.

Tinmania
Jun 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
Just so it's clear you must be registered as an Apple Developer to install iOS 7.
Actually you don't, which has been pointed out numerous times. Had you updated instead of restored it would have sailed right through, registered UDID or not.

Michael

3bs
Jun 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
I am just hoping to see it soon. I am calm :D

It is enabled, I get some kind of weather for my Calendar events, but nothing like in iOS 6, current conditions and one week forecast.

Oh. Yeah that's all you're going to get as far as I know. There's no weather widget anymore.

StianSylta
Jun 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi, folks. New here.

Was wondering if I am the only one where the dock is not transparent on iOS7?
Looks like a bright grey square and does not match background image.

Also, I keep getting weird sms messages from a number abroad saying "REG-RESP? And lots of numbers" have gotten several now. Different numbers, same beginning.

poobear
Jun 11, 2013, 04:43 PM
- Sluggish animations, waiting for dp2 already
+ Newsstand in a folder woho!

Prabas
Jun 11, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hi, folks. New here.

Was wondering if I am the only one where the dock is not transparent on iOS7?
Looks like a bright grey square and does not match background image.

This may be the case on iPhone 4, to increase performance.

Firen
Jun 11, 2013, 05:02 PM
This may be the case on iPhone 4, to increase performance.

Yeah, must be an iPhone 4 thing. Wonder if they are going to change that at all. I'd rather have no box at all than this square, grey block.

stainless
Jun 11, 2013, 05:24 PM
Another nice thing to know: Safari in iOS 7 passes the HTML5 test with 404 and 9 bonus points.

Hi, Can you test if Web App download!? app.ft.com (this is the Financial Times website that downloads like a App to the iOS desktop in iOS6.)

Thanks!
Stainelss

bbfc
Jun 11, 2013, 05:42 PM
[/COLOR]Hi, Can you test if Web App download!? app.ft.com (this is the Financial Times website that downloads like a App to the iOS desktop in iOS6.)

Thanks!
Stainelss

Just tested this. Downloads the app, but when you launch it the home button will not take you back to the desktop. I had to hard reset the phone to leave the app.

stainless
Jun 11, 2013, 05:43 PM
Just tested this. Works fine.

Many Thanks for the quick reply! Do you mind posting a screenshot of the "save to home screen" or is it just the same as iOS6? Ie. Is it still just as easy (much easier then Android) or one more step complicated?

Good energy to you! :-)

Bawstun
Jun 11, 2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah, must be an iPhone 4 thing. Wonder if they are going to change that at all. I'd rather have no box at all than this square, grey block.

I think it is just a bug. Bring up the control center (or open any app folders) and you can see the wallpaper through it. The new keyboard is translucent, etc. So it is possible but just not working for whatever reason. :(

Chazz08
Jun 11, 2013, 05:53 PM
So far everything has been working fine on mine. I'm using the iPhone 5. The only problem is it is SUCKING my battery life. I had to recharge 4 times today and I barely even used it. It died once and almost a second time.

Also, push notifications don't always come through. I use Whatsapp and most of the time those wouldn't come through. At least when I was waiting for a specific message they wouldn't. They would come through if I opened the app and closed it, then got a message almost immediately following. If I got a message a while after I closed it, it wouldn't push through any other messages until I opened it again. I didn't get a message until 20 minutes later and I opened the app.

bbfc
Jun 11, 2013, 05:55 PM
Many Thanks for the quick reply! Do you mind posting a screenshot of the "save to home screen" or is it just the same as iOS6? Ie. Is it still just as easy (much easier then Android) or one more step complicated?

It downloads fine (the same way as iOS 6) but you cannot exit the web app. The Home button will not exit the app. Very strange. I had to restart the phone.

boobie12
Jun 11, 2013, 05:58 PM
So far all apps work fine for me even Netflix. For a beta 1 I'm impressed.

Firen
Jun 11, 2013, 06:03 PM

http://f.cl.ly/items/3K3z3x2z0B3B2X262d1Q/Foto%202.PNG http://f.cl.ly/items/290x3R2Y0F0F0y2B2P1w/Foto%201.PNG

"Zum Home-Bildschirm" = save to home screen
"Hinzufügen" = add

So yeah, it's as easy as it was before.

Anijake
Jun 11, 2013, 06:06 PM
I think someone here said they could not forward a iMessage. I figured it out. press and hold on the bubble with the text you want to forward, a menu will popup, select more, then the up-arrow on the bottom.

A new message will compose with the selected text included.

chocoyo00
Jun 11, 2013, 06:17 PM
So is Google+ crashing for everyone else too or just me? I can't use it at all.

randomdude
Jun 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this or posted but, on my friends iPhone, instead of the Circle Signal Indicator, it now says GPRS.

Tinmania
Jun 11, 2013, 06:53 PM
Its not really all that new. (This wasnt system wide in iOS - just the apps listed)

While not new, per se, it is different. The old setting was in the Accessibility menu and allowed for HUGE text sizes. The new setting (Text Size) is in the General menu and allows for larger, but definitely not HUGE text sizes.

There is also still a setting--Larger Text--in the Accessibility menu. In there you can also adjust dynamic type size--same as in the Text Size menu. But there is also a "Larger Dynamic Type" toggle that allows the huge sizes like before.

So, to me it has been modified to be more of a preference for all, rather than something targeted at those with really challenging eyesight.

Michael

Shockwave78
Jun 11, 2013, 06:58 PM
Anyone find this black mode or whatever it's called, I'm not talking about the invert colors thing. Apparently there was some other feature I guess

3bs
Jun 11, 2013, 07:03 PM
Anyone find this black mode or whatever it's called, I'm not talking about the invert colors thing. Apparently there was some other feature I guess

Really? Didn't see or hear anything about it and I can't find it in the settings. I doubt it exists.

martinisovo
Jun 11, 2013, 08:59 PM
iOS 7 feels a little sluggish or am I the only one who thinks this? I'm on a iPhone 5.

Jakimo
Jun 11, 2013, 09:01 PM

I think the black mode you've been hearing about, is simply using a black background - as much of the GUI takes on the characteristics of the Background image installed...

Switchback666
Jun 11, 2013, 11:49 PM
iOS 7 feels a little sluggish or am I the only one who thinks this? I'm on a iPhone 5.

On my 4s its really bad, im using 64gb model with a lot of free storage so thats not the problem; things like going back to homescreen, open and closing folders lag a lot, safari is super slow and i feel battery is more ******.

Def not going to keep my 4s for much longer, its either iphone 5 or go back to ios 6 and wait for the new iphone.

patchel
Jun 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
Has anybody successfully changed Siri's voice to Male? The option is not there unless i disable siri then enable it again. I choose the male option but it keeps going back to female. Tried the UK english as well but still does not work.

hovscorpion12
Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 AM
Has anybody successfully changed Siri's voice to Male? The option is not there unless i disable siri then enable it again. I choose the male option but it keeps going back to female. Tried the UK english as well but still does not work.

Voice change will probably be available at a later beta or left out of the beta and placed in the final release.

AceMason
Jun 12, 2013, 12:04 AM

Yeah, using an iPhone 5. A little sluggish. Most likely will be a lot better once the GM is released.

hovscorpion12
Jun 12, 2013, 12:04 AM
On my 4s its really bad, im using 64gb model with a lot of free storage so thats not the problem; things like going back to homescreen, open and closing folders lag a lot, safari is super slow and i feel battery is more ******.

Def not going to keep my 4s for much longer, its either iphone 5 or go back to ios 6 and wait for the new iphone.

My iPhone 5 has no lag, yet some phones do. My guess, the lag will be fixed in Beta 2. Battery life of my iPhone 5 is fair. Installed IOS 7 last night around 11. 100%. My Phone is now 62%. 6 hours of usage, 10 hours of standby.

patchel
Jun 12, 2013, 12:06 AM
Voice change will probably be available at a later beta or left out of the beta and placed in the final release.

You may be right. Thanks! I thought it may have been something wrong done on my end. I am considering doing a restore since I just updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.

Also, how about the kids section in the appstore? I can't find it anywhere.

snakes-
Jun 12, 2013, 12:12 AM
To switch battery percentage dosent work, i want turn it off but there always show me the percent.

bigboomer24
Jun 12, 2013, 12:17 AM
Does anyone have an estimation of when the next beta will come out? Just wondering...

Phightinphils
Jun 12, 2013, 01:35 AM
Battery is AWFUL. Draining, and charging back up have issues. iPhone 5 went from 100% to 75% in 2 hours. Then once it got down real low I plugged it in for an hour. Only went from 0%-35%. Phone also gets freaking hot. Literally burned my finger tips on the edges.

Stiss
Jun 12, 2013, 03:10 AM
Is it against the rules here to beg to be added to a developers account :P

Burton8219
Jun 12, 2013, 06:19 AM
My iPhone 5 has no lag, yet some phones do. My guess, the lag will be fixed in Beta 2. Battery life of my iPhone 5 is fair. Installed IOS 7 last night around 11. 100%. My Phone is now 62%. 6 hours of usage, 10 hours of standby.
Fair? On pace for 12+ hours usage... That's a whole lot better than fair. How much of that is listening to music, if any?

tann
Jun 12, 2013, 06:23 AM
Now that data is broken down app by app and you can turn of specific apps data can you set a data warning limit?

So you get notified that you're approaching x amount of usage vs having to check?

OllyW
Jun 12, 2013, 06:31 AM
Is it against the rules here to beg to be added to a developers account :P

Yes.

We know that many of you are anxious to try the beta versions of OS X Mavericks and iOS 7, the only way to legally do so it to be a registered developer of Apple software.

We do not allow sales of UDID slots or requests for UDID slots, or allow for any discussion about specific steps that need to be taken to run the software without a proper license.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Zcott
Jun 12, 2013, 06:37 AM
No battery issues here on my iPhone 5; I set it up as a new device.

Also battery life will be less because you'll be using it more to play with features...

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 12, 2013, 06:38 AM

Was going to test this for you from the UK but it's a shame that, in this beta, you have to disable Siri before the menu option appears as it tells you that you will lose all interactions & fine tunings to date if you did.

Unfortunately.

ghaghamashibaba
Jun 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone else having this problem? The homescreen does not fit, after a reboot everything is back to normal.

840quadra
Jun 12, 2013, 11:19 AM
No battery issues here on my iPhone 5; I set it up as a new device.

Also battery life will be less because you'll be using it more to play with features...

Honestly feel the same thing with the overall battery usage complaints.

Tests by True developers (who have multiple phones) will be more realistic than most posts we see on here.

Having been through a few of these cycles, Battery life complaints (especially on Beta, or fresh public release) should be noted, but not taken too seriously.

3bs
Jun 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
Battery is AWFUL. Draining, and charging back up have issues. iPhone 5 went from 100% to 75% in 2 hours. Then once it got down real low I plugged it in for an hour. Only went from 0%-35%. Phone also gets freaking hot. Literally burned my finger tips on the edges.

Care to take a picture of your burnt finger with your iPhone? Consider it a camera test if you want :p

Stiss
Jun 12, 2013, 12:30 PM
Yes.

Well...

Enough said.

aldoF
Jun 12, 2013, 12:37 PM
Anyone else having this problem? The homescreen does not fit, after a reboot everything is back to normal.

been addressed before, some sort of battery saving mode when it drops below certain threshold it seems.

----------

on the same boat here, but I did mine as restore and my wife's as a new device, seems like hers is running much better, might do the same on my own tonight.

----------

if you go under the general/accessibility you will find an "invert colors" option, that gives you some back fonts...and lots of awful pinks too :D

Botts85
Jun 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
Honestly feel the same thing with the overall battery usage complaints.

Tests by True developers (who have multiple phones) will be more realistic than most posts we see on here.

Having been through a few of these cycles, Battery life complaints (especially on Beta, or fresh public release) should be noted, but not taken too seriously.

Testing on multiple phones confirms that YMMV with battery life.
One iPhone 4 seems to have gotten noticeably better.
One iPhone 4 seems to be about the same.
2 iPhone 5s seem drastically reduced.
2 iPhone 5s are about the same.
On the other phones with different users it appears that use pattern has a bigger influence on iOS 7 than iOS 6.

"Power users" i.e. those on my team that have juice packs because we already use a full charge about 1.2x per work day are seeing about 2 hours of battery life. Users who are using them around 1x per hour and can end a work day at around 20% battery life on iOS 6 are getting about the same.

eyespii
Jun 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
My iphone 5 running ios7 beta crashed this am, and wouldn't wake up until a reboot. As a result, my alarm didn't go off and I missed my early am appointment.

Word to the wise, don't make the mistake I did and run this new OS on your daily driver!

hclmed
Jun 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
duplicated

vcao
Jun 12, 2013, 01:06 PM
Yes, this an instance where the Ive's new, unchecked prominence in the company has sacrificed function for form as he gratifies his obsession with minimalism. The loss of a simple dot, (which undoubtedly disturbed the purity of the calendar grid), sacrificed substantial, at a glance, functionality.

That's just one of numerous hijackings of the usefulness of this interface for someone's personal aesthetic. I was concerned when I saw the logo for iOS 7 was in a the razor thin Helvetica, then pretty disgusted when I found that to be the native font weight throughout the system. A font that light, especially on a white background, (which already saturates the retina), is widely understood as a GUI flaw, and a rookie design error, that will challenge legibility for many if not most users.

Also, what's their point with the wafting transparency over buttons, on top of the razor thin font? Am I supposed to want my interface to coyly weave in and out of visibility? I almost missed a call the first time I received one on the new OS lock screen because the "Slide To Answer" button, which was already only 1 pixel weight of white on a light green background, kept disappearing before I could even read it, in someone's idea of artful animation.

It's a pretty shameful case of the emperor's new clothes, where no one challenged the impractical fiats of someone's who's now the reigning royal there. I know Jony was a loyal friend to Steve, and undoubtedly a fine person whose penchant for minimalism and pure geometry was groundbreaking for the iPod, and literally at the foundation of Apple's recovery. He is the master of Bauhaus minimalism, and should contribute that design wherever it's applicable. It's just not applicable everywhere. There are fortunately some functional enhancements with this update, and even some that are mainly aesthetic, (I personally like the animation in and out of the originating window, and the card like browser and multi-task tabs). But I really don't think any consumers passed on this product because they didn't like its graphics.

The much maligned Skeuomorphism certainly had it's cheesy instances, (especially that faux leather stitching), but the opportunity for patterns and other nuances that are subconsciously recognized are vital for interfaces, especially when they apply what amounts to such a vast collection of different buttons. It's a common and welcome feature to shade a button with dimensionality that suggests it should be pushed, let alone just ensuring fonts are visible in different lighting and background conditions. The effort to buck trends and abandon convention shouldn't be just for its own sake. The Human Factors engineers should not have utterly surrender on this one. They need to come back to this project, and do their job, to actually call it complete.

Holy crap relax dude. You can increase the weight of the text in Settings>General>Accessibility>Enhance Text Legibilty.

Its also Beta 1. Get off your high horse

hclmed
Jun 12, 2013, 01:08 PM
Oh my god, the calendar has become the worst EVER!!

1) In month view (where you see all the days in the month), you can't see if there is an event on that day. All days looks the same (in iOS 6, there was a dot on that date if there was an event).
2) WHEN you click a day, it automatically turns to day-view, where you need to scroll up and down to view the events. Prior to iOS 7, when tapping a day, you got a list of all events that day. No longer! You have to scroll through the whole day to see the events.

This is just sad......

Yes, this an instance where the Ive's new, unchecked prominence in the company has sacrificed function for form as he gratifies his obsession with minimalism. The loss of a simple dot, (which undoubtedly disturbed the purity of the calendar grid), sacrificed substantial, at a glance, functionality.

That's just one of numerous hijackings of the usefulness of this interface for someone's personal aesthetic. I was concerned when I saw the logo for iOS 7 was in a razor thin Helvetica, then pretty disappointed when I found that to be the native font weight throughout the system. A font that light, especially on a white background, (which already saturates the retina), is widely understood as a GUI flaw, and a rookie design error, that will challenge legibility for many if not most users.

Also, what's their point with the wafting transparency over buttons, on top of the razor thin font? Am I supposed to want my interface to coyly weave in and out of visibility? I almost missed a call the first time I received one on the new OS lock screen because the "Slide To Answer" button, which was already only 1 pixel weight of white on a light green background, kept disappearing before I could even read it, in someone's idea of artful animation.

It's a pretty shameful case of the emperor's new clothes, where no one challenged the impractical fiats of someone who's now the reigning royal there. I know Jony was a loyal friend to Steve, and undoubtedly a fine person whose penchant for minimalism and pure geometry was groundbreaking for the iPod, and literally at the foundation of Apple's recovery. He is the master of Bauhaus minimalism, and should contribute that design wherever it's applicable. It's just not applicable everywhere. There are fortunately some functional enhancements with this update, and even some that are mainly aesthetic, (I personally like the animation in and out of the originating window, and the card like browser and multi-task tabs). But I really don't think any consumers passed on this product because they didn't like its graphics.

The much maligned skeuomorphism certainly had it's cheesy instances, (especially that faux leather stitching), but the opportunity for patterns and other nuances that are subconsciously recognized are vital for interfaces, especially when they apply to what amounts to such a vast collection of different buttons. It's a common and welcome feature to shade a button with dimensionality that suggests it should be pushed, let alone just ensuring fonts are visible in different lighting and background conditions. The effort to buck trends and abandon convention shouldn't be just for its own sake. The Human Factors engineers should not have utterly surrendered on this one. They need to come back to this project, and do their job, to actually call it complete.

----------

Holy crap relax dude. You can increase the weight of the text in Settings>General>Accessibility>Enhance Text Legibilty.

The reason it's beta is to allow exactly these types of observations. Those options do help basic legibility, and should be the default. It should be an option to select cloak/obscurity mode for those who enjoy that.

WeemanWise
Jun 12, 2013, 01:37 PM
I put the beta on my old iPhone 4 Monday night. After a day of playing around with it I find that I like it a lot except for a couple things.

I hate the new notification center. I wish they would bring back actually listing out my calendar events for the day instead of showing the next six hour calendar view. Also, what happened to the Twitter and Facebook tap to tweet/post buttons?

I'm also not too fond of the way folders work now. I actually prefer the old "drawer" method to the new "zoom-in" and the 3x3 grid isn't working for me either.

Other than that I like iOS 7. Love the control center it's long over due. The new app switcher is neat, and the lock screen is better now without the slightly translucent black bars.

liamry
Jun 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
A quick look at iOS 7 anyone who's interested & has the time! :apple::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhuehO1Qr5o

jafingi
Jun 12, 2013, 02:12 PM

That's just one of numerous hijackings of the usefulness of this interface for someone's personal aesthetic. I was concerned when I saw the logo for iOS 7 was in a razor thin Helvetica, then pretty disappointed when I found that to be the native font weight throughout the system. A font that light, especially on a white background, (which already saturates the retina), is widely understood as a GUI flaw, and a rookie design error, that will challenge legibility for many if not most users.

It's a pretty shameful case of the emperor's new clothes, where no one challenged the impractical fiats of someone who's now the reigning royal there. I know Jony was a loyal friend to Steve, and undoubtedly a fine person whose penchant for minimalism and pure geometry was groundbreaking for the iPod, and literally at the foundation of Apple's recovery. He is the master of Bauhaus minimalism, and should contribute that design wherever it's applicable. It's just not applicable everywhere. There are fortunately some functional enhancements with this update, and even some that are mainly aesthetic, (I personally like the animation in and out of the originating window, and the card like browser and multi-task tabs). But I really don't think any consumers passed on this product because they didn't like its graphics.

The much maligned skeuomorphism certainly had it's cheesy instances, (especially that faux leather stitching), but the opportunity for patterns and other nuances that are subconsciously recognized are vital for interfaces, especially when they apply to what amounts to such a vast collection of different buttons. It's a common and welcome feature to shade a button with dimensionality that suggests it should be pushed, let alone just ensuring fonts are visible in different lighting and background conditions. The effort to buck trends and abandon convention shouldn't be just for its own sake. The Human Factors engineers should not have utterly surrendered on this one. They need to come back to this project, and do their job, to actually call it complete.

----------

The reason it's beta is to allow exactly these types of observations. Those options do help basic legibility, and should be the default. It should be an option to select cloak/obscurity mode for those who enjoy that.

I totally agree with you about the font! It's awful usability-wise!

Firstly, it's so thin, that even on max brightness, and a little bright background, you can't even see the date on the lock screen when looking from an angle due to the view angle. And in sunlight, you're out of luck.

No shadows on the fonts make this even worse. Same with the icons!

See how hard it is to quickly read the text under the icons with this background:

http://i.imgur.com/NeBcZqu.jpg

On iOS 6, with the same background, the font is much easier to recognize and read because of the bold font and shadow.

But the calendar is still the worst thing. I've submitted it as a UI bug to Apple. If the current calendar makes it into the final version of iOS 7 without changes, I'll be stuck to iOS 6 until I find a viable alternative viable alternative in the App Store. I'm using the calendar as my main app (hence the location as number 2 app on the first page), so this is really a downgrade for me.

thebrocode
Jun 12, 2013, 02:38 PM
They look alike, don't they? I love it though :)

http://i.imgur.com/CkVbL0E.jpg

ecks618
Jun 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
They look alike aren't they? I love it though :)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/CkVbL0E.jpg)

Maybe because they are both powered by yahoo.

JustJeff
Jun 12, 2013, 02:58 PM

But the iOS 7 weather app is written by Apple and uses Yahoo's data.

thebrocode
Jun 12, 2013, 02:59 PM

I thought Apple designed the app, not Yahoo. Don't get me wrong, I really love it :)

hclmed
Jun 12, 2013, 04:19 PM

I totally agree with you about the font! It's awful usability-wise!

Firstly, it's so thin, that even on max brightness, and a little bright background, you can't even see the date on the lock screen when looking from an angle due to the view angle. And in sunlight, you're out of luck.

No shadows on the fonts make this even worse. Same with the icons!

See how hard it is to quickly read the text under the icons with this background:

http://i.imgur.com/NeBcZqu.jpg

On iOS 6, with the same background, the font is much easier to recognize and read because of the bold font and shadow.

But the calendar is still the worst thing. I've submitted it as a UI bug to Apple. If the current calendar makes it into the final version of iOS 7 without changes, I'll be stuck to iOS 6 until I find a viable alternative viable alternative in the App Store. I'm using the calendar as my main app (hence the location as number 2 app on the first page), so this is really a downgrade for me.

I'd just like the calendar app restored to usability again. I'm trying to work around the atrocious legibility issues, and trying to make myself feel like this hairline, stick figure design is elegant, but I need a calendar with a useful month view.

RyanMv7
Jun 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
Based on previous experiences how long is it usually between beta releases ?

nabechu
Jun 12, 2013, 07:44 PM
Based on previous experiences how long is it usually between beta releases ?

usually 2-3 weeks.

Silvereel
Jun 12, 2013, 07:49 PM

They may have had an agreement to share the design.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 08:00 PM
Anyone think we'll see beta 2 earlier than two weeks? There has already been a ton of feedback just since Monday.

Zmanbaseball2
Jun 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
Anyone think we'll see beta 2 earlier than two weeks? There has already been a ton of feedback just since Monday.

Matters how much feed back and how much bugs they have to find and fix before a new beta comes out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 11:44 PM
Can't seem to get weather to appear in my Notification Center today view.

Edit: nvm

jakebechtold
Jun 13, 2013, 12:26 AM
Tried upgrading my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 this evening and it failed miserably. When I downloaded the DMG file, it said there was a checksum error and wouldn't mount.

Well, in my infinite brilliance, I skipped the verify process, tried a restore anyway, bricked my phone, and ended up have to use my PC to restore back to 6.1.3 (yes, the Mac wouldn't do it, but Windows would... figure THAT one out!)

The checksum error should have been a red flag from the get-go and I shouldn't have even tried to install. I did download the file several times and that still kept happening, so clearly there's an issue with the iPhone 4S version of the release on the dev server.

So make a long post short here... has anyone had a similar experience (or any luck for that matter) getting iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S?

Oh, and for those without access to a developer account wanting the beta, I will quickly point out that this is one of the reasons why the betas are for developers only and that you should not even attempt to install unless you know what you're doing and have legitimate access to a dev account. It could easily fail and unless you know how to roll it back to an old version you could end up with a really expensive (and shiny!) paperweight.

cchunk
Jun 13, 2013, 01:02 AM
Tried upgrading my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 this evening and it failed miserably. When I downloaded the DMG file, it said there was a checksum error and wouldn't mount.

Well, in my infinite brilliance, I skipped the verify process, tried a restore anyway, bricked my phone, and ended up have to use my PC to restore back to 6.1.3 (yes, the Mac wouldn't do it, but Windows would... figure THAT one out!)

The checksum error should have been a red flag from the get-go and I shouldn't have even tried to install. I did download the file several times and that still kept happening, so clearly there's an issue with the iPhone 4S version of the release on the dev server.

So make a long post short here... has anyone had a similar experience (or any luck for that matter) getting iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S?

Oh, and for those without access to a developer account wanting the beta, I will quickly point out that this is one of the reasons why the betas are for developers only and that you should not even attempt to install unless you know what you're doing and have legitimate access to a dev account. It could easily fail and unless you know how to roll it back to an old version you could end up with a really expensive (and shiny!) paperweight.

I currently have iOS 7 installed on my sprint 4S. works perfectly minus the bugs. My account is registered by a dev but im not new to this beta stuff. didnt have any problems installing.

IndoX
Jun 13, 2013, 01:13 AM
Is it just me or does the messages app not auto populate the newest message? Before in iOS6 the newest message would move the conversation up but in iOS7 I have the manually scroll down a bit every time I get a new text/imessage in.

It's kinda annoying.

jafingi
Jun 13, 2013, 04:17 AM
Is it just me or does the messages app not auto populate the newest message? Before in iOS6 the newest message would move the conversation up but in iOS7 I have the manually scroll down a bit every time I get a new text/imessage in.

It's kinda annoying.

Yeah. Very annoying bug (which I have also reported to Apple).

Also, the "Delivered" and "Read" label below the message can't be seen until you scroll down.

AzzUrr1
Jun 13, 2013, 04:26 AM
My calendar day view shows the wrong day(in fact it's always the previous day). Is this a common issue?

Bentoh
Jun 13, 2013, 04:32 AM
No Battery issue so far on my iphone 5... it was kind of sluggish fresh out of upgrade (notification center, opening an app etc), but it got better an hour after and the zippy feeling is back

jakebechtold
Jun 13, 2013, 08:12 AM
I currently have iOS 7 installed on my sprint 4S. works perfectly minus the bugs. My account is registered by a dev but im not new to this beta stuff. didnt have any problems installing.

For strange. Maybe I'll try it again tonight. I've never had a DMG file do that to me before.

zerostar
Jun 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
Anyone have wifi issues? I can't seem to join my work network but I know the password is correct, I tried doing it manually and not working still.

**EDIT: A Restart fixed it :-\

z06gal
Jun 13, 2013, 08:46 AM
They look alike, don't they? I love it though :)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/CkVbL0E.jpg)

How did you change the background of the weather app?

northernbaldy
Jun 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
How did you change the background of the weather app?

it depends on the weather ;) mine currently shows rain :(

bassanoclapper
Jun 13, 2013, 12:49 PM

They may have had an agreement to share the design.

The Yahoo weather app design does seem very iOS 7 in hindsight

XianPalin
Jun 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
My calendar day view shows the wrong day(in fact it's always the previous day). Is this a common issue?

I searched around and it seems like a lot of people have this problem, myself included.

I have 3 accounts using calendars, two of them were exchange, the other icloud (with multiple calendars). I turned off the two exchange calendars and restarted my phone, and it is now showing today's events. I turned the one exchange calendar back on that I actually use (work) and now my work items are showing up, still showing today's calendar. Hopefully that has fixed it.

In short, try turning calendars off and rebooting and then turning them back on.

daijholt
Jun 14, 2013, 04:18 AM
The only issues that bug me (no pun intended) are that my twitter notification sounds seem to be a bit off, as if it's trying to sound twice for one alert, and that using Siri seems to stop the message notifications, lock screen and keyboard sounds from working until you switch them off and back on again.

I can't imagine it being too long before a beta 2 update, iOS6 got one almost every 3 weeks. Can't wait for iTunes radio in the UK either.

Zmanbaseball2
Jun 14, 2013, 05:11 AM
The only issues that bug me (no pun intended) are that my twitter notification sounds seem to be a bit off, as if it's trying to sound twice for one alert, and that using Siri seems to stop the message notifications, lock screen and keyboard sounds from working until you switch them off and back on again.

I can't imagine it being too long before a beta 2 update, iOS6 got one almost every 3 weeks. Can't wait for iTunes radio in the UK either.

Yah the notifications sounds like 4-5 times for me. Really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Anaemik
Jun 14, 2013, 05:33 AM
Can anyone confirm that Control Centre doesn't offer the option to enable and disable mobile data/3G/4G? That's the feature that causes me to dig down into Settings more than any other, and I was really hoping that Control Centre would offer quick and easy access to it, like it does with WiFi. I see no evidence of it from the screenshots I've seen so far though. That would prove to be a very frustrating omission IMO.

daijholt
Jun 14, 2013, 06:02 AM
Can anyone confirm that Control Centre doesn't offer the option to enable and disable mobile data/3G/4G? That's the feature that causes me to dig down into Settings more than any other, and I was really hoping that Control Centre would offer quick and easy access to it, like it does with WiFi. I see no evidence of it from the screenshots I've seen so far though. That would prove to be a very frustrating omission IMO.

No such luck I'm afraid, it has airplane mode, wifi, Bluetooth, do not disturb and rotation lock. I'd love one for personal hotspot more than anything, even though I don't use it that often, just because I'll never use rotation lock.

They should replace do not disturb with cellular data and rotation with hotspot, then it would be perfect.

Anaemik
Jun 14, 2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. That's a shame. It would be so much better if they had made control centre configurable. I, for one, never need to turn Bluetooth on, so that button in particular would be useless for me and could be replaced with something much more convenient.

kamran9558
Jun 14, 2013, 06:54 AM
ios 7 beta is good enough for daily use imho but like others have said its a bit laggy overall, is it just me who absolutely hates the ios 7 incoming call screen??

batting1000
Jun 14, 2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. That's a shame. It would be so much better if they had made control centre configurable. I, for one, never need to turn Bluetooth on, so that button in particular would be useless for me and could be replaced with something much more convenient.

While that option is not in Control Center, the Cellular section of Settings is no longer in General but instead it's on the front Settings page so you don't have to dig in as much.

Anaemik
Jun 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
While that option is not in Control Center, the Cellular section of Settings is no longer in General but instead it's on the front Settings page so you don't have to dig in as much.

Thanks. Oh well, one less click is better than nothing I suppose :)

hovscorpion12
Jun 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
Fair? On pace for 12+ hours usage... That's a whole lot better than fair. How much of that is listening to music, if any?

None. my iPhone 5 is no longer my primary phone, so I listen to music on a secondary device. iPhone 5 is used for App testing and development. As well as enjoying IOS 7:D:D:cool:.

jtrascap
Jun 20, 2013, 01:00 AM
ios 7 beta is good enough for daily use imho but like others have said its a bit laggy overall, is it just me who absolutely hates the ios 7 incoming call screen??

Might be you - I don't have a problem with it.

roland.g
Jun 20, 2013, 01:08 AM
Why haven't they added the ability to sort inboxes, folders, etc by unread, sender, etc.

I have 6 email accounts and when I have 15 new messages spread across them, I'd like to see all unread messages at the top.

Krissypantz2828
Jun 20, 2013, 01:27 AM
Anyone experience your phone just shutting off and not being able to turn it back on except with the home button and on/off button??? It happened on my iPhone 5.. just wondering if anyone else has had that happen?

daviddth
Jun 20, 2013, 01:48 AM
Might be you - I don't have a problem with it.

Me eithor, although the slide to answer area is a little hard to read.

naasrd
Jun 20, 2013, 02:30 AM
Anyone having issues with Reminders? I'd a few resprings, deleted all reminders and not one since.

jafingi
Jun 20, 2013, 04:29 AM
Why haven't they added the ability to sort inboxes, folders, etc by unread, sender, etc.

I have 6 email accounts and when I have 15 new messages spread across them, I'd like to see all unread messages at the top.

Why don't you use one of the new Smart Mailboxes?

There's one pre configured for unread emails.

Go back to the mailbox view in Mail.app, click "Edit" in the upper right corner, then check the checkbox on "Unread".

Now you have a mailbox showing only unread emails.

roland.g
Jun 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
Why don't you use one of the new Smart Mailboxes?

There's one pre configured for unread emails.

Go back to the mailbox view in Mail.app, click "Edit" in the upper right corner, then check the checkbox on "Unread".

Now you have a mailbox showing only unread emails.

that's ok. unfortunately it adds yet another mailbox in my list and I have 6 accounts (ridiculously), one icloud, one gmail, one for teaching, and 3 for work, and believe it or not it would actually be nice to apply the sort to individual accounts on the fly whereas your solution shows me all unread emails across all accounts. But I suppose it will have to do.

Like I said I would prefer to see the sort functionality come into the view mode rather than a smart mailbox.

gh4master97
Jun 26, 2013, 08:04 PM
hello, i have an iphone 5 running on sprint that is currently running on ios7 beta 2 because i was able to bypass the UDID activation check. i called sprint and they had to factory restore my phone to unlock my phone by erasing all my content and settings. after it erased, i could not reactivate my phone under ios7 after i got a message saying activation error, your not a developer and your phone could not be activated. i downgraded back to ios 6.1.4 and i was able to activate my phone and the guy at sprint international support told me that the unlock was successful. i then upgraded back to ios 7 beta 2 with no problems and restored all my data. im worried now that the pre-paid sim card running on orange-israel that i bought for when i travel to israel in about a week wont be able to activate on the iphone and will give me an activation error like what happened recently when i factory restored my phone running iOS 7 to unlock the phone. Does anyone know if this will be a problem, have had problems like this or are in the same position as me?

Northernist
Jun 27, 2013, 12:05 AM
hello, i have an iphone 5 running on sprint that is currently running on ios7 beta 2 because i was able to bypass the UDID activation check. i called sprint and they had to factory restore my phone to unlock my phone by erasing all my content and settings. after it erased, i could not reactivate my phone under ios7 after i got a message saying activation error, your not a developer and your phone could not be activated. i downgraded back to ios 6.1.4 and i was able to activate my phone and the guy at sprint international support told me that the unlock was successful. i then upgraded back to ios 7 beta 2 with no problems and restored all my data. im worried now that the pre-paid sim card running on orange-israel that i bought for when i travel to israel in about a week wont be able to activate on the iphone and will give me an activation error like what happened recently when i factory restored my phone running iOS 7 to unlock the phone. Does anyone know if this will be a problem, have had problems like this or are in the same position as me?

First of all, why would you post in the BETA 1 THREAD?

So, you're not a developer, and clearly have no clue what you're doing since you had to call Sprint to figure out how to restore your phone?

To answer your question, it won't be a problem because iOS 6 is actually made, you know, for the general public. Instead of being a beta build intended for developers to test their apps.

Hope you learned your lesson...