Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Depends on what you are using the computer for.

If you have the money to spend on it, it's a worthwile upgrade.

If you plan on keeping the computer more than 2 years, you should probably upgrade.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
4gb --> 8gb for $100 - YES. I would not consider a 4gb model in 2013, just for the sake of future-proofness. Yes I know that isn't a word.

Core i5 --> Core i7 is debatable. If you're doing video then yes it's probably worth it. I.e are you transferring and encoding true HD video from your camera or phone? I would like to see some benchmarks though.

If you're only surfing the web and writing documents stick with the i5 CPU.

WWDC2013

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
4gb --> 8gb for $100 - YES. I would not consider a 4gb model in 2013, just for the sake of future-proofness. Yes I know that isn't a word.

Core i5 --> Core i7 is debatable. If you're doing video then yes it's probably worth it. I.e are you transferring and encoding true HD video from your camera or phone? I would like to see some benchmarks though.

If you're only surfing the web and writing documents stick with the i5 CPU.

Does it affect gaming performance at all?

WWDC2013

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
If you want to be able to use it for a very long time I would recommend both.

If you have to choose only 1, 4>8GB of ram is a must.

I will be getting the 8GB RAM for sure, but right now I'm just trying to decide whether to get the i5 or the i7.... Why does it matter if I will be using it for a very long time?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
The I7 is not worth the upgrade. Unless you really have to have the top of the line you won't see a difference. Get the extra ram though.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I will be getting the 8GB RAM for sure, but right now I'm just trying to decide whether to get the i5 or the i7.... Why does it matter if I will be using it for a very long time?

A lot of applications are becoming more and more CPU/GPU heavy with time and if you plan to have this computer 3-4+ years, it is worth 140 extra dollars NOW. The i5 is plenty for the current time, but think a few years in time and it may seem sluggish using certain future software.

The way I think when buying a Mac is, I am already making a pretty hefty 1000+ investment, but it definitely will last longer than most other computers on the market (speaking from experience) so another few hundred dollars to keep it performing with future applications is a wise decision.

Spread out 150 dollars over a 4 year period 37.50 a year or 3 dollars a month is not bad at all.

WWDC2013

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
The I7 is not worth the upgrade. Unless you really have to have the top of the line you won't see a difference. Get the extra ram though.

Will the 4th gen 1.3 outperform the 3rd gen 1.7 or is it all about compromise for power saving?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Where's the $270 difference coming from? Isn't it only $200 and less with education discount?

You're right - it's a $200 difference (with the education discount). Still too much for me. I am hoping that 128GB will be sufficient for programs, and data will be stored in the cloud or on NAS. I wanted to spend the $ on speed rather than storage capacity.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
I upgraded my 2011 MBA with 4GB of RAM to a 2012 MBA with 8GB of RAM, and to be totally honest with you, I noticed very little difference. It all depends on what you are using your MBA for, but I didn't really think $100 justified the little performance gain that I experienced.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I'm not sure what to do...

Your question is unanswerable without further detail.

U call up the doctor and proclaim AM SICK, FIX ME! The doctor doesn't know what to do without a mind melt.

If you have to steal for the upgrade. Don't do it.

If you have to give blood, maybe.

More memory is always better than less memory.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
As other posters have said: More RAM is always better. And since the MBA RAM is non-upgradeable, get it now or get it never.

I upped it when I ordered a new 11" earlier this afternoon. Sure it will take a few extra days to get it, but RAM is worth the wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.