PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice the signal strength indicators?

iBreatheApple
Jun 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
I just noticed they are only dots now, I think I like this better.

http://i43.tinypic.com/j0wpoz.png

Paddle1
Jun 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
I just noticed they are only dots now, I think I like this better.

Image (http://i43.tinypic.com/j0wpoz.png)

That is the carrier.

iBreatheApple
Jun 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
That is the carrier.

Well that's embarrassing.

scottish
Jun 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
That is the carrier.

iOS 6 below for reference. Apple have always left the carrier out of promotional shots.

http://images.apple.com/au/ios/messages/images/getthemessage.jpg

Paddle1
Jun 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
Honestly I can't really tell.

cambookpro
Jun 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
That is the carrier.

No, it's the signal strength.

Apple have managed to totally remove the carrier from OS and the device, apart from delving within the settings. Unimaginable 5+ years ago.

iBreatheApple
Jun 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
iOS 6 for reference:

Image (http://images.apple.com/au/ios/messages/images/getthemessage.jpg)

Hmmm... so I'm not stupid?

Apple have managed to totally remove the carrier from OS and the device, apart from delving within the settings. Unimaginable 5+ years ago.

Well the carrier name never shows when on Wifi so that's still up for debate. Or have you seen a demo with wifi turned off...?

SpaceKitty
Jun 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
From what I understand, the iOS will no longer show the carrier up there.

Paddle1
Jun 10, 2013, 03:29 PM

That probably is the signal strength. They probably didn't put a carrier.

iPawd13
Jun 10, 2013, 03:29 PM
I don't like it at all tbh. Like why dots? they should've kept the regular signal indicator and made it transparent but oh well.:p

HeezyBear
Jun 10, 2013, 03:30 PM

Your carrier will likely still be displayed when you're not on wifi just like it currently is. Apple just won't show it in their promotional material.

naltst*
Jun 10, 2013, 03:30 PM
If you look back at the iOS6 screenshot there was no carrier thee either... I bet carriers will still appear top left by the dots for me

kmj2318
Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
From what I understand, the iOS will no longer show the carrier up there.

I was wondering about this. Hopefully they don't. it would take up too much space.

iBreatheApple
Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
I don't like it at all tbh. Like why dots? they should've kept the regular signal indicator and made it transparent but oh well.:p

Will be easier to read at a glance IMO. There are certain times (color of the screen + certain lighting, etc.) when it takes a second to focus on if you have two, three, or four bars. Not that you'll ever be desperate to know in an instant... just makes it easier.

rmwebs
Jun 10, 2013, 03:41 PM

Well the carrier name never shows when on Wifi so that's still up for debate. Or have you seen a demo with wifi turned off...?

Check again. Currently connected to wifi and have my carrier ('3') between radio signal and wifi signal.

iBreatheApple
Jun 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
Check again. Currently connected to wifi and have my carrier ('3') between radio signal and wifi signal.

Probably because it's so short. I'm on AT&T and it does not show.

Edit (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17386031&postcount=19).

Stuke00
Jun 10, 2013, 03:46 PM

I am on Sprint and it shows between cell radio and wifi bars... Every iPhone I have seen does this.

rovex
Jun 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
They could of done with chaning the wifi bars to those dots, as the wifi bar never really proves be that accurate at all.

iBreatheApple
Jun 10, 2013, 03:50 PM
I am on Sprint and it shows between cell radio and wifi bars... Every iPhone I have seen does this.

I don't know why I was so certain that it doesn't. I'm at home and it IS showing AT&T while on wifi. I swear I've seen it not show before. :confused:

naltst*
Jun 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
I don't know why I was so certain that it doesn't. I'm at home and it IS showing AT&T while on wifi. I swear I've seen it not show before. :confused:

airplane mode with wifi on?

Nikos
Jun 10, 2013, 03:54 PM
Looks a lot better now.

BFG86
Jun 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
The dots are really dumb and take up more space than the bars

Stuke00
Jun 10, 2013, 04:02 PM

I've seen it go away when I don't have signal. Then again, that is pretty common with Sprint.

bushido
Jun 10, 2013, 04:21 PM
well this is dumb i thought we finally got rid of the carrier logo, my carrier "t-mobile.de" is so long that the spinning wheel always jumps to the right side. redic

Paddle1
Jun 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img560/9858/img0005ia.png)

It is still there.

iPawd13
Jun 10, 2013, 05:29 PM

Sure they take up more space, but what else are you going to put on the status bar?
Thought so. :rolleyes:

Paddle1
Jun 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sure they take up more space, but what else are you going to put on the status bar?

Notifications.

iPawd13
Jun 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
Will be easier to read at a glance IMO. There are certain times (color of the screen + certain lighting, etc.) when it takes a second to focus on if you have two, three, or four bars. Not that you'll ever be desperate to know in an instant... just makes it easier.
Yeah i actually changed my mind. i saw better, less blurrier pic and ios 7 def looks awesome!

----------

Notifications.

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ios_7_notifications_1-580x324.png
What do you mean? Notifications ON the status bar? see pic

F123D
Jun 10, 2013, 05:36 PM
Notification icons on the status bar are extremely useful.

rfrankl
Jun 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
I got 5 balls.

applesith
Jun 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
5 dots plus carrier name and data connection seems very cluttered

Verizon LTE

ZacNicholson
Jun 10, 2013, 05:56 PM
Image (http://i43.tinypic.com/j0wpoz.png)

I want to remember tasha :D

richardw
Jun 10, 2013, 07:43 PM

Really agree with this. :(

Just awful. Whatever happened to no change for changes sake? What exactly do some dots do better than the normal indicator? They're a step backwards because the old indicator was smaller (but not too small to not be readable) and the old indicator followed convention which counts for a lot.

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
Really agree with this. :(

Just awful. Whatever happened to no change for changes sake? What exactly do some dots do better than the normal indicator? They're a step backwards because the old indicator was smaller (but not too small to not be readable) and the old indicator followed convention which counts for a lot.

you guys are not seeing the benefits of the dots. The bars are just utter garbage! You need to almost look at them for 10 seconds to figure out which bar is which.

With the dots, it's near instant I can tell how much signal strength I get.

sclawis300
Jun 10, 2013, 08:59 PM

Edit (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17386031&postcount=19).

Verizon is displayed.

SONiC5
Jun 10, 2013, 09:15 PM
5 dots plus carrier name and data connection seems very cluttered

Verizon LTE

I agree, I hope there's an option to hide the carrier name.

applesith
Jun 10, 2013, 09:24 PM
I agree, I hope there's an option to hide the carrier name.

Looking in the other thread, carrier is there.

deannnnn
Jun 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
I don't like the dots. Bars are on every cell phone ever and they take up less space. No reason to change it, in my opinion.

furam90
Jun 10, 2013, 11:16 PM
Man you guys will find ANYTHING to complain about. Are you really whining about dots replacing bars? Who gives a ****? Boohoo they take up 10 more pixels of screenspace that would've otherwise not been used.

iBreatheApple
Jun 11, 2013, 10:16 AM
Man you guys will find ANYTHING to complain about. Are you really whining about dots replacing bars? Who gives a ****? Boohoo they take up 10 more pixels of screenspace that would've otherwise not been used.

This is a discussion forum. Chill out.

richardw
Jun 14, 2013, 06:20 PM
you guys are not seeing the benefits of the dots. The bars are just utter garbage! You need to almost look at them for 10 seconds to figure out which bar is which.

With the dots, it's near instant I can tell how much signal strength I get.

10 seconds... This is either complete BS or if true then you have something wrong with your vision.

C64
Jun 14, 2013, 06:25 PM
They take up more space, and thereby demand more attention of the user. It shouldn't do that, just like the battery indicator shouldn't be green everywhere whereas all the other stuff in the bar is white/black. It's distracting.

morphineseason
Jun 14, 2013, 06:29 PM
Just for the record - carrier name does still show (in beta 1 anyways). Apple has always left carrier names out of their promotional material and live demos.

kmj2318
Jun 14, 2013, 06:46 PM
This is exactly how they appear on the phone, with the sizes proportional to each other. The new format is clearly more functional. It displays better in the horizontal space. The problem with the standard icon is that it is square in nature, making it more difficult to easily see your actual signal strength. And it's really not that much longer because the carrier name now has a lighter font, and the wifi logo is smaller.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/kmj2318/Untitled-2-2_zps0106c1e7.png

Jimbo47
Jun 14, 2013, 07:30 PM
I wonder if Apple has an agreement with the carriers to place their logo on the status bar? The phone has no other carrier branding as oppose to every other smart phone out there which has the carrier name somewhere on the device itself.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 07:53 PM
This is exactly how they appear on the phone, with the sizes proportional to each other. The new format is clearly more functional. It displays better in the horizontal space. The problem with the standard icon is that it is square in nature, making it more difficult to easily see your actual signal strength. And it's really not that much longer because the carrier name now has a lighter font, and the wifi logo is smaller.

Image (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/kmj2318/Untitled-2-2_zps0106c1e7.png)Given that the signal bars don't really play that much of a difference on their own, giving that whole thing more prominence only wastes more space and brings more attention to it, when it's really unnecessary to do that.

The bars are pretty much a standardized thing across the industry, so why change that when the industry mostly standardized on it for a while now?