Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachmo360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
Hey guys
I was just wondering how long it will be before amazon start stocking the haswell MBAs, coz they're so much cheaper in uk from amazon!

zachmo360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
I'm just really excited to get a new MBA and I'm trying to resist paying over the odds on apple store!

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Yeh but I'm not a student

----------

Does anyone actually know???

order it, i guarantee you'll get a nice new laptop in the post. a few of my friends who dont go to uni have used my uni link and received what they ordered, with the bonus of 3 year warranty for free.
once youve placed an order there are no subsequent checks to prove youre a student

----------

also, mine appears to be a bit cheaper ;)
http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000714

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Well they at least noted that the previous gen models are "older" and they seemed to have dropped in price since this afternoon. So hopefully soon.

zachmo360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
order it, i guarantee you'll get a nice new laptop in the post. a few of my friends who dont go to uni have used my uni link and received what they ordered, with the bonus of 3 year warranty for free.
once youve placed an order there are no subsequent checks to prove youre a student

----------

also, mine appears to be a bit cheaper ;)
http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000714

I'm gonna try ordering through that link in the next few weeks once I've got my money together ;) How does this sound for general use + iPhoto, iMovie, some parallels and 3D modelling (sketchup with rendering add-on):
MBA 13" 1.3ghz i5
8gb RAM
128SSD
Anyone used the new MBAs with multiple displays?, just wondering, I only need it to power a single 24"

----------

im more impressed at the "refurb" prices now, most of these wont be refurbs but just old stock http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_50007...hed-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5 thats a massive saving!

That is an amazing deal, but I need 8gb really and the new graphics are so much faster for 3D stuff :)

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I'm gonna try ordering through that link in the next few weeks once I've got my money together ;) How does this sound for general use + iPhoto, iMovie, some parallels and 3D modelling (sketchup with rendering add-on):
MBA 13" 1.3ghz i5
8gb RAM
128SSD
Anyone used the new MBAs with multiple displays?, just wondering, I only need it to power a single 24"

----------

That is an amazing deal, but I need 8gb really and the new graphics are so much faster for 3D stuff :)

id prefer a pro for 3d modelling, the hd4000 struggled but the 500 may be better.
my 11" air handles an external monitor perfectly

PhD Chick

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Norwich, UK

Free 3 year warranty? Where did you find this out? When I go to the checkout I get offered AppleCare for three years, but at a price of £48.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Free 3 year warranty? Where did you find this out? When I go to the checkout I get offered AppleCare for three years, but at a price of £48.

Clearly he's Australian, the bonus warranty isn't a bonus warranty, it's the law in Australia, so for the 99.999% of us who are reading his post and DON'T live in AUS, disregard, students only get a "free" 1 year warranty.

Contrary to what the 22 Million population of the Australian continent think, the world does not revolve around them, lol

paulkerdot

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010

The £48 is for three years telephone support. The hardware 3 year warranty is automatic under the education department.

I am surprised apple havnt clamped down on non students using this link but I suppose its a sale :). Sssshh

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012

the £48 is for the phone support uplift. from apple;

"Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (AdditionalTelephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered"

----------

Clearly he's Australian, the bonus warranty isn't a bonus warranty, it's the law in Australia, so for the 99.999% of us who are reading his post and DON'T live in AUS, disregard, students only get a "free" 1 year warranty.

Contrary to what the 22 Million population of the Australian continent think, the world does not revolve around them, lol

its a perk of the online education store.

PhD Chick

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Norwich, UK
the £48 is for the phone support uplift. from apple;

"Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (AdditionalTelephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered"

----------

its a perk of the online education store.

Thanks for this, I'd have ended up paying for phone support that I would never have used!

I am surprised apple havnt clamped down on non students using this link but I suppose its a sale :). Sssshh

I'm still 'technically' a student, so I'm fine to use it. ;P

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.