PDA

View Full Version : Will Mavericks get the Ive treatment?

old-school
Jun 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
So far it doesn't look like Ive has made much of an impact on Mavericks. Do you think the mac GUI is going to get the Ive treatment before fall, or will we have to wait until 2014 for his design language to reach OSX?

Sky Blue
Jun 10, 2013, 03:45 PM
I would think they'll focus on iOS this year, OS X next year.

notrack
Jun 10, 2013, 03:50 PM
He needs some more practice on software before he can put his hands on the real stuff :p

Asuriyan
Jun 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
I'd like to see the new icon set make its way into the final release. The rest of the design doesn't merit minor tweaks before its eventual overhaul, which doesn't look like it will be happening this year.

Hexiii
Jun 10, 2013, 04:57 PM
Oh no, please don't! Don't make a cartoon out of Mac OS.

Kissaragi
Jun 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
I was surprised it looked so similar to ML. I thought they would at least flatten the dock and alter icons to bring it inline with ios7.

It feels like it should have changed a bit more aesthetically with the big name change.

old-school
Jun 10, 2013, 06:28 PM
Yep, with the new icon, new family of names and new design direction I wouldn't be surprised if the UI gets a bit of attention before release. I think it's a matter of available time. I hope iOS7 gets some polishing too beforehand though.

Luap
Jun 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
So far it doesn't look like Ive has made much of an impact on Mavericks. Do you think the mac GUI is going to get the Ive treatment before fall, or will we have to wait until 2014 for his design language to reach OSX?

You've no doubt seen the preview. What does it look like to you? ;)
Because appearance wise at least, it is unlikely to change much at all beyond that.

seetheforest
Jun 10, 2013, 06:43 PM

The GUI on OSX is exceptional in its current state. No idea why you would want to add the elements of Aero (see through opaque glass) with Metro (minimalism) to the Mac. Hopefully there's some backlash and Apple goes back to the drawing boards on the iOS UI and icons, they need some serious work.

skippymac
Jun 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
Although I think I like iOS7, I don't really want anything approaching it on desktop! Certainly not the icons, and I wouldn't be too happy to have all the sys prefs replaced with white windows either...

old-school
Jun 10, 2013, 08:12 PM
You've no doubt seen the preview. What does it look like to you? ;)
Because appearance wise at least, it is unlikely to change much at all beyond that.

The GUI on OSX is exceptional in its current state... ...Hopefully there's some backlash and Apple goes back to the drawing boards on the iOS UI and icons, they need some serious work.

I agree, OSX is in great shape right now, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they change a few things, especially the iOS ported apps like notes. I like the idea of most of iOS7 but agree it needs some work. The icon designs and control center were a surprise though hopefully they'll be honed a bit before autumn.

Krazy Bill
Jun 11, 2013, 08:30 AM
No beta copy here but they did remove all the stitching and crap from Calendar, Notes and Contacts. It's a start!

tmanto02
Jun 11, 2013, 08:50 AM
I was surprised it looked so similar to ML. I thought they would at least flatten the dock and alter icons to bring it inline with ios7.

It feels like it should have changed a bit more aesthetically with the big name change.

Right on...

kristoffer4
Jun 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
No beta copy here but they did remove all the stitching and crap from Calendar, Notes and Contacts. It's a start!

Gamecenter still has the green felt though.
Can anyone who is good at PS show us what a ios 9 Mac OS X 10.9 would look like. :D
Are they able to make it in time for 10.9?

SanJacinto
Jun 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
I really really hope so.
I love all the beach flair and Beach House music.
I think Mavericks needs some of iOS 7's design elements.

Jony Ive always meets my design sense, maybe it's because we share nearly the same taste of music ;)

The name "Mavericks" is great. Just some more iOS 7's design elements and I am happy for the next two years!

Kissaragi
Jun 11, 2013, 01:20 PM
I think its the dock that stands out the most. Its still very much a faux 3d shelf which seems to go against the direction they are heading in everywhere else.

GoGa
Jun 11, 2013, 01:29 PM
I certainly hope not! OS X looks great, iOS 7 on the other hand is a giant cluster****.

-------------------------

Edit: After using iOS 7 for the day, I actually kinda like it. It takes a while to get used to the changes but so far its very nice (except the icons :P)

jscribbles
Jun 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
I actually registered to discuss this exact topic.

I LOVE the new iOS 7 design. It's not perfect. Such a large scale project rarely will be, although I imagine they'll fix a lot of those issues before full launch and even more with 7.1 and 7.2, etc. Those small issues aside, it is a tremendous step forward.

Apple's designers did a tremendous job moving to a simpler aesthetic that is no longer forced by pretending to be real things and instead allowing the information and content to breathe and take the focus. And while I've begrudgingly given Microsoft credit for moving this route with Metro before Apple did, Apple did not simply replicate Metro.

Apple kept a lot of the signature style of iOS (rounded edges for instances) and actually managed to apply more depth than not only Metro but the previous over-designed versions of iOS. The result is really fantastic, and I can't wait until it's fully ready and launched.

Before iOS 7 was unveiled but after OS X Mavericks was, I was pretty excited about 10.9. Sure it's not revolutionary stuff, but it's a lot of nice and useful stuff, and that's really what a decimal point upgrade should be. Especially since Apple has made it so easy and affordable to upgrade. So I'm a big fan of the new Mac OS features.

But once I saw iOS 7's GUI, I immediately thought about how OS X Mavericks GUI does not match. Apple has done so a great job building a visual and functional brand with so much overlap and connectivity in their products. So this break in visual design is a noticeable and unfortunate departure. And for the year or two or so while that's the case, I'll be bothered by that.

Fortunately, I'm beyond certain Apple is aware of this. And while in my ideal world both designs would match and would be perfect, I do respect reality.

The redesign of an entire OS is an amount of work that's probably beyond my comprehension. So what I'm asking for is that 2x. As I mentioned before, iOS 7 still needs refinements. I can't very reasonably expect them to have been able to perfect both systems in this amount of time.

I'm sure they'll try to just about perfect iOS and then moving on to redesigning Mac OS to match.

And at that point, we're probably not talking about OS X any more. We're onto OS XI or OS 11 or however they choose to brand it. I think we'll likely see the new GUI be a part of larger changes, because that's where Mac OS is right now. The next major set of innovations will likely truly be major. And so in that sense as well, it's understandable they'd wait for that to fully redesign the GUI.

In any case, it will be a bit of an annoyance for me, but I look forward to it happening. Apple has always put forth beautiful interfaces, but now they've taken that a gigantic leap forward. And I can't wait until Mac OS makes the same leap.

travisbrowning
Jun 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
I actually registered to discuss this exact topic.

I LOVE the new iOS 7 design. It's not perfect. Such a large scale project rarely will be, although I imagine they'll fix a lot of those issues before full launch and even more with 7.1 and 7.2, etc. Those small issues aside, it is a tremendous step forward.

Apple's designers did a tremendous job moving to a simpler aesthetic that is no longer forced by pretending to be real things and instead allowing the information and content to breathe and take the focus. And while I've begrudgingly given Microsoft credit for moving this route with Metro before Apple did, Apple did not simply replicate Metro.

Apple kept a lot of the signature style of iOS (rounded edges for instances) and actually managed to apply more depth than not only Metro but the previous over-designed versions of iOS. The result is really fantastic, and I can't wait until it's fully ready and launched.

Before iOS 7 was unveiled but after OS X Mavericks was, I was pretty excited about 10.9. Sure it's not revolutionary stuff, but it's a lot of nice and useful stuff, and that's really what a decimal point upgrade should be. Especially since Apple has made it so easy and affordable to upgrade. So I'm a big fan of the new Mac OS features.

But once I saw iOS 7's GUI, I immediately thought about how OS X Mavericks GUI does not match. Apple has done so a great job building a visual and functional brand with so much overlap and connectivity in their products. So this break in visual design is a noticeable and unfortunate departure. And for the year or two or so while that's the case, I'll be bothered by that.

Fortunately, I'm beyond certain Apple is aware of this. And while in my ideal world both designs would match and would be perfect, I do respect reality.

The redesign of an entire OS is an amount of work that's probably beyond my comprehension. So what I'm asking for is that 2x. As I mentioned before, iOS 7 still needs refinements. I can't very reasonably expect them to have been able to perfect both systems in this amount of time.

I'm sure they'll try to just about perfect iOS and then moving on to redesigning Mac OS to match.

And at that point, we're probably not talking about OS X any more. We're onto OS XI or OS 11 or however they choose to brand it. I think we'll likely see the new GUI be a part of larger changes, because that's where Mac OS is right now. The next major set of innovations will likely truly be major. And so in that sense as well, it's understandable they'd wait for that to fully redesign the GUI.

In any case, it will be a bit of an annoyance for me, but I look forward to it happening. Apple has always put forth beautiful interfaces, but now they've taken that a gigantic leap forward. And I can't wait until Mac OS makes the same leap.

I wouldn't mind some graphical changes more in line with iOS 7. However I'm very happy with Mavericks so far.

coldjeanzzz
Jun 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
Some graphical changes would be fine, but I hope they don't start stripping OS X of its defining characteristics make it look more like Windows/Metro. I absolutely HATE how Windows looks and if they polluted OS X with that I don't know what I am going to do.

jscribbles
Jun 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
Some graphical changes would be fine, but I hope they don't start stripping OS X of its defining characteristics make it look more like Windows/Metro. I absolutely HATE how Windows looks and if they polluted OS X with that I don't know what I am going to do.

Right. I don't think anyone wants the Mac OS desktop to become pages of icons of your apps. Or to only be able to experience one app at a time (as opposed to having multiple windows open).

I think Microsoft really struggled with finding the right medium for a desktop software, and it's hurt them.

I'm certainly not looking for that experience to come to Mac OS, what I am looking for is the graphics to match.

The silver/chrome of Safari... ditch it. Move towards the white/translucent looks of the new iOS.

The large use of Lucida Grande... ditch it. Use Helvetica Neue as the new iOS does.

I think Apple has so far done a great job of tying it's iOS and Mac OS operating systems together with common features while still allowing each to do the things they are able to do. They are after all different technologies.

I wouldn't expect Apple to ever ignore that fact. I do expect that they'll continue to tie them together in appearance, though. Right now, they've in an intermediate stage where that appearance is separate. I look forward to that being addressed in the next step.

zen
Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
Don't forget that when OS X was first announced, it had the Platinum UI that was more or less the same as Mac OS 9. I recall the Aqua interface being quite a surprise when it was launched with the Developer Preview 3.

So perhaps Mavericks will also get a UI makeover sometime between now and the public release.

canyonblue737
Jun 12, 2013, 08:18 AM
It's inevitable that the design aesthetics of Ive and iOS 7 will find themselves in OS X in an appropriate way. Apple's design and UI experts (including Jony himself) spent every waking moment reinventing iOS these last 7 months and there is no seperate team to do that for OS X so that's why you only see "obvious" changes like removing the leather and stitching from calendar and contacts under Mavericks. Once iOS settles down and Jony can turn some of his teams attention to the desktop I am sure future versions of OS X will be brought inline with a more modern aesthetic but that doesn't mean it will be "exactly" the same as iOS because they are such different formats.

----------

Don't forget that when OS X was first announced, it had the Platinum UI that was more or less the same as Mac OS 9. I recall the Aqua interface being quite a surprise when it was launched with the Developer Preview 3.

So perhaps Mavericks will also get a UI makeover sometime between now and the public release.

That was in a day when OS X was their ONLY major software project. Today it isn't just not the only one, it isn't even the biggest one. I think the 2014 version of OS X is the earliest we see UI changes.

zen
Jun 12, 2013, 08:23 AM
That was in a day when OS X was their ONLY major software project. Today it isn't just not the only one, it isn't even the biggest one. I think the 2014 version of OS X is the earliest we see UI changes.

Yeah, quite possibly - there's also the fact that they will want to keep some continuity with iOS 7 changing so much. Once people are used to that, they can start transitioning changes into OS X.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Mavericks got an icon makeover. The standard folder icons are drawn like recycled blue cardboard, and other icons like Safari and Mail might go the way of iOS 7 (assuming, that is, they fix the terrible iOS 8 Safari icon first!).

Tar Sniffer
Jun 12, 2013, 09:03 AM
This. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHXUQdlWz7o

I think we will be safe this year. Apple was being extra secretive with iOS and experimenting with many designs, so the OS X team couldn't do much. They probably plan on releasing 10.9 within three months, so re-skinning the OS, as well as fixing bugs while a large amount of their engineers are transferred to iOS is too big a job.

We might get some of iOS 7's **** icons though... It's a real shame, because I consider OS X 10.8 to be the epitome of great design.

H. Flower
Jun 12, 2013, 03:06 PM
Please, please, please no.

I can handle "form over function" on my iphone because it's still essentially a toy.

But my desktop OS is a more serious tool and I need it as functional (legible text, no cryptic symbols, etc) as possible.

notrack
Jun 12, 2013, 04:47 PM
I wish they would cheat a little and learn from the auto industry. Those guys know how to create products that look familiar but still are totally different with their own usecases, specs and performaces. They have done it for decades.

iOS and OSX do belong together but have different missions and tasks. I think that this text- and line-based design of iOS is due to limited space. And it can work well in small areas. But imagine a 13" or 27" monitor with b/w text and wireframe icons... Nogo. Mac OS7 retro. But also do I think that some elements of that could make it back to the mac.

I remember Steve saying "We need killer graphics". Sure times have changed, but visualising stuff is all about graphics in the end.

acosmichippo
Jun 13, 2013, 12:23 AM
yeah, implementing the same text and buttons won't really work in OSX. But I assume it'll keep getting "flatter". They've already done away with the bubbly window sliders (in Lion). The messages app still has 3D bubbles instead of the new flat design. iTunes will probably lose its metallic volume slider. And maybe even the green/yellow/red window buttons will get a flatter look. I also wouldn't be surprised if the notification center background becomes a translucent panel like iOS's. They removed the linen texture, but it still has the same look as iOS6 which would just seem weird to leave there. Same with Mission control - they could give it the same look as the multitask switcher in iOS7, with the user's desktop picture as the background, and a translucent panel for every desktop open.

And they've already changed the look of the side dock to look similar to iOS7's:

http://i.imgur.com/zkjAnji.jpg

danahn17
Jun 13, 2013, 12:37 AM
I feel at some point in time, the icons will have to become a bit more similar for consistency's sake. Mountain Lion and iOS6 had many different (and some same) icons, but you could tell design-wise they were related. I'd expect that to happen at some point in the future... maybe with 10.9 but if not, perhaps the next Mac OS iteration.

notrack
Jun 14, 2013, 01:47 PM
I feel at some point in time, the icons will have to become a bit more similar for consistency's sake. Mountain Lion and iOS6 had many different (and some same) icons, but you could tell design-wise they were related. I'd expect that to happen at some point in the future... maybe with 10.9 but if not, perhaps the next Mac OS iteration.

Yes, and I think a step-by-step change might be much more liked by the audience than a revolutionary cut. I mean every step towards more consistancy in an improvement but wouldn't poke users' habits too much. In iOS it was overdue so they had to catch up with a bigger step imho.

rainydays
Jun 15, 2013, 08:26 AM
I sure would not want those ugly icons and color scheme on my desktop as well.
But at least I would not have to jailbreak OSX to change the icons.

jaw04005
Jun 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
It will eventually. Obviously, they still have a lot of work to do on Mavericks including stripping Game Center and Reminders of their textures.

In the case of iOS 7, I hope they offer a more professional/muted black theme.

The next six months are going to be busy for Apple engineers.

wblp
Jun 16, 2013, 12:26 AM
I like the iOS 7 design.
But i don't like iOS 7 style to be migrated to os x .

ScottishCaptain
Jun 16, 2013, 02:08 AM
I like the iOS 7 design.
But i don't like iOS 7 style to be migrated to os x .

And yet everyone says OS X and iOS are somehow going to collide and merge. If this happens, what then? Will you still think your iOS 7 design was a good idea when OS X gets the same treatment?

OS X has always touted UI professionalism above all other operating systems. Just look at the friggin' icons in it. Look at all the third party applications out there with equally awesome icons. Icon design in itself is an entire industry. And yet iOS 7 throws all that out the window.

Just trying to imagine OS X with "flat" icons makes my head want to explode. How are people going to design icons that don't eventually look like someone else's? There isn't enough flexibility in a single gradient and a simple vector shape to represent every OS X application that is out there in a unique manner.

That is the problem with iOS 7. The design is limited. Maybe this is acceptable or a mobile handheld with a closed ecosystem. It is not acceptable for a desktop operating system that supports third party (unsigned) applications.

-SC